Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The first lap is worth watching though. That start was how 2 race driver by the entire field.

I watch f1 obsessively, every session, every quali, every race that's been on TV for thirtymumblemumble years. The best part has always been complaining about it and disliking the vast majority of British drivers. Also my dad using the words "cheating swines" to describe anyone he does not like has always ruled. As a Lewis fan he's very confused right now because he can't stand Mercedes who on the one hand are cheating swines, clearly, because Niki Lauda was always a cheating swine, and they did Ross Brawn wrong even though he was a horrible cheating swine when he was at Ferrari, but on the other Lewis is leading the championship and his car hasn't broken down for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I thought the race was alright but I also DVR'd it. A lot of F1 races are just screaming for DVR.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I DVR all of them and watch them in 30 minutes when I wake up

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I wake up, watch the first lap and fall back asleep. I wake up again when I hear the anthems. Still not sure if they play God Save the Queen because Lewis is British or if it's for Lewis.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If Stoffel turns out to be no good, we can call him Vandung

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I :filez: them all because my only other option is watching the horrible Canadian TSN feed that plays the same 3 Tim Hortons/Canadian Tire commercials throughout the entire race, and there is no way I am waking up in 5 in the morning to put up with that poo poo.

Watching Martin Brundle be awkward old man is pretty funny as well

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 25, 2016

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

I :filez: them all because my only other option is watching the horrible Canadian TSN feed that plays the same 3 Tim Hortons/Canadian Tire commercials throughout the entire race, and there is no way I am waking up in 5 in the morning to put up with that poo poo.

Watching Martin Brundle be awkward old man is pretty funny as well

TVcatchup.com will run the C4 footage
I'm in UK and have both that and sky, C4 is by far the better channel to watch

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If Stoffel turns out to be no good, we can call him Vandung

I was going to go for Vandong but either works.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MustardFacial posted:

Pit wall: "Nico, you have to pick up pace. Super Seb is gaining on you."

Nico:

Ahahaha, the only driver who comes apart faster under pressure than Rosberg is Vettel.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah but Vettel has beaten some of his teammates

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

If only Prost would cement his legacy with a gangsta rap album.

:(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sebastian Vettel

"Well at least he beat Mark Webber"

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Sebastian Vettel

"Well at least he beat Mark Webber"

"and Kimi Raikkonen"

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

learnincurve posted:

The first lap is worth watching though. That start was how 2 race driver by the entire field.

Literally this. GP3 had someone barrel rolling in the grass, GP2 had someone slide on a corner and cause a couple cars go smack, F1 had no incidents at all. Which is quite the contrast to the start of the season. As much as I like the big first corner pile-ups (and none have done it better than Coulthard at Spa '98 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02s_g5AUUE&t=12s ), seeing the entire pack get through the first lap without bits of carbon fibre flying everywhere was impressive in its own right.

I saw Will Buxton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFKSeL1OGjU liked the race for the strategy, but not so much for me. Livened up by both Ted running out of batteries and also the fact my mum weirdly likes F1 (she thinks Kimi, Alonso and Button are the best drivers) and makes me some super nice sandwiches whenever I go watch a race at her house :unsmith:

Roll on Germany.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Strategically it could have been very intresting its just once it became apparent no one was going to pass anyone without being so much quicker it nullified anything like say kimi fighting back for a podium.

Red Bull trying to call mercs bluffs also made things easier for them.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

The Croc posted:

the sport will probably eat itself in the power struggle that will happen the moment bernie dies.
You never know, it might turn out to be really good for the sport, and be just like WRC!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

andyf posted:

Literally this. GP3 had someone barrel rolling in the grass, GP2 had someone slide on a corner and cause a couple cars go smack, F1 had no incidents at all. Which is quite the contrast to the start of the season. As much as I like the big first corner pile-ups (and none have done it better than Coulthard at Spa '98 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02s_g5AUUE&t=12s ), seeing the entire pack get through the first lap without bits of carbon fibre flying everywhere was impressive in its own right.

Christ the tyres flying everywhere. The tethers do such a good job on modern cars.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Halo14 posted:

Christ the tyres flying everywhere. The tethers do such a good job on modern cars.

It's amazing how strong the tethers are on modern cars.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The one thing I thought watching that race, and I could be wrong here, is that McLaren are now genuinely the fourth fastest team in the field despite that dogshit honda

GramCracker posted:

It's amazing how strong the tethers are on modern cars.

I saw some pictures of the ones Williams uses and they look ridiculous, its 2cm thick and made of braided leather. I can't imagine what kind of forces they test them for but just looking at them I'd say its drat near impossible to actually detach them now.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
There are a lot more cleverer/funnier/funningest posters in the Worst Thread than me, so how bout a good ol' fashioned Caption Contest?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

aequalis posted:

There are a lot more cleverer/funnier/funningest posters in the Worst Thread than me, so how bout a good ol' fashioned Caption Contest?

To steal a Top Gear joke - "It goes from Berlin to Warsaw in one tank"

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Bernie's mother in law has been kidnapped in Brazil with a $36M ransom.

Interesting target, can't help but feel that Bernie will come out ahead somehow.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Are they threatening to release her unless Bernie gives them $36 million?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

aequalis posted:

"Mein Führer, a British friend of the family will be world champion driving this same car brand with this number on it 76 years from now"

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 26, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The one thing I thought watching that race, and I could be wrong here, is that McLaren are now genuinely the fourth fastest team in the field despite that dogshit honda

SURE ARE

2017 world champs, sorry in advance

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jenson's radio banter was the only good thing about the race.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

gret posted:

Are they threatening to release her unless Bernie gives them $36 million?

I mean the jokes just write themselves

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Anybody have a link to a recording of this epic radio transmission by Kimi?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Halo14 posted:

The best thing about that Spa crash is still Ricardo Rosset.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

MrMojok posted:

Anybody have a link to a recording of this epic radio transmission by Kimi?

3:15 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XpaF5C22HU&t=190s

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

I finally found time to watch the Baku GP2 races :pwn:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Whitey Ford posted:

I finally found time to watch the Baku GP2 races :pwn:

You mean the Baku gp2 safety car demonstration?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Double post

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

aequalis posted:

'Iz would mein kampf in her third reich if you knows wut I meanz kumpel :smug:'

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone has kidnapped Bernie's mother-in-law http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bernie-ecclestones-mother-in-law-kidnapped-reports-802347/

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Isn't that the same amount he owed Germany in taxes

Hmm

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1500quidporsche posted:

This is pretty much the best circuit to have a dogshit engine to be fair.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Bernie will somehow get the kidnappers to pay him 40million

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Kidnappers: We have the one person you hold dearest, your mother-in-law

Bernie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
:lol: Bernie is almost twenty years older than his mother-in-law.

• Locked thread