Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i can't figure out how to
This poll is closed.
remove 69 3.49%
the 420 21.24%
poll 1488 75.27%
Total: 1977 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I was curious so I found these two comments which seem to make sense.

quote:

Better "dai pai dong" places in Hong Kong making authentic HK-style milk tea use their own blend of black teas, definitely not Liptons. They over-extract the tea leaves using a filter bag shaped like a pantyhose-fishnet setup (thereby also colloquailly known as "pantyhose tea"). They use unsweetened condensed milk and you add in your sugar to taste.

THe best ones are very tannic-ky but is rounded out by the condensed milk. The Cafe de Coral chain in HK makes a decent cup usually.

In terms of finding a good cup here in Toronto, Richmond Court used to make a fairly decent one but I've found it really depends on the skill of the cashier pouring the tea as the proportion of milk to tea is crucial. It also depends on how long the tea has been sitting around percolating with the tea leaves.

A good cup of HK milk tea is in a way a contradiction of good tea making principles, as you let the tea leaves sit in the hot water for an extended time and really over-extract the tea, making for a very strong dark drink.

The majority of places in Toronto claiming to have "authentic" HK-style milk tea serves grossly diluted dish liquid which is pretty much undrinkable and disapointing each time.

I think it also has to do with the water source, as I've never tasted one here that comes close to a generic cup from any Dai Pai Dong in HK.

I haven't been to all of the above mentioned places, but look for that pantyhose-fishnet contraption with a cheap aluminum tea flask. If it ain't there, it ain't authentic.

quote:

My husband makes strong HK style milk tea by perculating a special blend of milk tea leaves in a coffee perculator for about an hour. You can also add some egg shells to the leaves to neutralize the acidity (optional). Some people like condense milk with their milk tea. My husband likes to use evaporated milk and sugar. We are trying to stay away from hydrogenated fats..but I am pretty sure that adding a little coffee mate, along with the milk, makes the tea smoother.

We have a friend who brings us the special tea blend from a Hong Kong Tea shop. I would think that a good strong black tea will do. Please do not use tea bags, since you will never get the right strength in the tea to stand up to the milk. Perhaps in a pinch, you can perculate the tea bags. By the way, lipton tea in Hong Kong, even the ones in tea bags, is celon tea. The lipton tea in the US is orange pekoe. There is quite a bit of difference between the two.

Finally, if one must use the 3-1 instant milk tea mix, the lipton brand is much better than the Owl brand. Also, the instant Lipton milk tea from HK, also available in Vancouver, is slightly different than the ones you can get from 99 Ranch. We did an blind taste test among Owl, HK Lipton and US Lipton and HK Lipton instant 3 in 1 won hands down for smoothness, concentration and sweet to tea ratio.

There is one other technique that the pro's use to make the milk tea smooth...they pour the tea back and forth between containers. We can't do that...but perculating the tea for a long time is pretty good...it takes the "greenness" out of the tea. I hope this helps.

Margret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

michelle is so pretty :negative:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
lol, nitendo released a statement reminding people they didn't actually make pokemon go and their shares dropped nearly 20%

investors are mad dumb

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Badger of Basra posted:

michelle is so pretty :negative:

She really is.

Bernouts on my Fb really mad at Sarah Silverman

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
lots of talking about kids so far

i think the campaign against trump is going to one continous "daisy" ad that last for four months

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
michelle's speech was good

gently caress, no matter how many kennedy's die there always seem to be more in storage

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i love michelle. michelle 2024

that was a great speech

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Badger of Basra posted:

that was a great speech

:agreed:

it was amazing

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
i thought all the kennedys were dead

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

nutranurse posted:

i guess it's hard to completely root out a family renowned for non-stop loving

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

nutranurse posted:

jfk was prolific

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Badger of Basra posted:

that was a great speech

hell yeah

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

How many hours per week do you think trunp spends doing anything that could be described as work

I was just thinking how obama is a very nose-to-grindstone style of executive and regardless of ideology it'd be viscerally weird going from that to a guy who probably doesnt know how to put in 40 hours in a week, much less the hundred plus required of the presidency

Wonder how much that changes the routine for the secret service or the White House menial staff

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 26, 2016

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

that was a great speech

Illinois will need a new governor soon

And chicago a new mayor :getin:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Are they hissing?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

How many hours per week do you think trunp spends doing anything that could be described as work

I was just thinking how obama is a very nose-to-grindstone style of executive and regardless of ideology it'd be viscerally weird going from that to a guy who probably doesnt know how to put in 40 hours in a week, much less the hundred plus required of the presidency

Wonder how much that changes the routine for the secret service or the White House menial staff

he hasn't worked a day in his life

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

oswald ownenstein posted:

Holy poo poo lol warren says "the system is rigged"

I wonder if the irony is lost on her. I'm not sure native americans have a word for irony.

:whitewater:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've never heard elizabeth warren speak before

she's competent, but still kind of lacking

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
bernie should have asked anyone who would disrupt the convention for him to step forward and then killed everyone that volunteered

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
welp just used my knowledge of python to implement my own pokemon tracking map, guess it was good for something

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
huh, japan had a mass stabbing of disabled people in hospice, 15 dead. wouldnt have happened if the paraplegics had a gun

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Aeryk posted:

welp just used my knowledge of python to implement my own pokemon tracking map, guess it was good for something
from pokemon import pikachu

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
next up, aggregating the data and determining if there is a consistent spawning algorithm

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Aeryk posted:

next up, aggregating the data and determining if there is a consistent spawning algorithm
there are a lot of packages but if you want to try something cool, give tensorflow a shot

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

there are a lot of packages but if you want to try something cool, give tensorflow a shot

hey that's a neat piece of software, i will use it as intended, to crack open a childs game

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I see that the DNC is rocking the superior color on stage.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Bernout friend saying that she heard from another friend that they took away Bernie signs when people entered the convention.

And then they show bunches of Bernie signs on the convention floor

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

if you picked any color than blue in the poll you chose tyranny and rape.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
do it bernie, throw your hat back into the ring!

we can still destroy capitalism!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gravel Gravy posted:

Bernout friend saying that she heard from another friend that they took away Bernie signs when people entered the convention.

And then they show bunches of Bernie signs on the convention floor

seems kinda pointless since they handed out bernie signs while he was being introduced

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
ok, this is getting a bit self indulgent

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Pretty sure that's his campaign slogan.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

oh, word

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This election wasn't about the candidates, true, it was about corruption in politics. Sanders is going to willingly endorse that corruption. It only serves to illustrate that Gary Johnson is the last rational choice remaining.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

give the guy his time in the spotlight

also bernie isnt wrong

it just sucks that some of his supporters are so loathsome

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

It wouldn't be corruption if the market dictates it

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

im watching the dnc w/ a berniette ive been off and on seeing and the look on her face when bernie came out for hillary

ugh

uhhnnnnn

there must be a german word for this sublime feeling

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

nutranurse posted:

give the guy his time in the spotlight

also bernie isnt wrong

it just sucks that some of his supporters are so loathsome

it's gotten good now that he's actually getting into the meat of the speech

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
A good speech, and he's calling out the Bernie or Bust folks, so maybe this will be their Come to Jesus moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Two people crying back to back. Good lord

• Locked thread