Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ghostbusters looks bad imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It was p good, actually.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Which one? The one that cast the funny charming women?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I heard it was good all right

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I heard it was good all right

Yeah it was good I took my kid this weekend. Was a typical silly family flick like the original one. Also Both of those people pictured are in the movie

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Plom Bar posted:

You should find the thread about the Ghostbusters movie. I'm just dying to see bronies offering their hot takes on women and feminists taking over something originally intended for men.

There's no reason of having an all-female cast other than for the sake of it and pandering to Tumblrites

For extra "diversity", they should make the cast in the sequel all transgender! Then people who complain about the movie being bad can be accused of being transphobic.

It looks like it's going to be absolutely awful. Feminists spitting in the face of fans of the classic films, while bought and bribed review sites insist that the critics have not the right to speak, like they did with Imperator Furiosue, also guest starring Max the Grunting Muzzled Road-Watching Sidekick.

If being fat and unattractive is not evil and offensive then why should it be good and unoffensive?

There should be a forum where people can speak their mind about bad movies and games without fear of attacks from the feminazi army. Y'know, like most high-profile gamergaters get, for the "Crime" of knowing the truth and telling others about it, ruining the feminist narrative and making it feel less real for those that believe it.

They're raping our childhood memories. All those female characters are nothing but token characters and the humor is forced to the core. They're just using the Ghostbusters brand for their failed promotion. And the director is nothing but a SJW rear end in a top hat . But they won't be save for Milo. He's gonna rip and tear them apart.

This is an intentional, deliberate attack on a major part of american culture, nerd culture, and pop culture, carried out by feministing feminists that deciding to come in and feminist everything up for everyone involved. Good old feminists, showing everyone what feministing feminism is all about.

And those censoring the opposition to the reboot version should bow their heads in shame . What's next, destroying the original version and acting like it was never released?

Feminism in everywhere, my opinion, will suck

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Imperator Furiosue

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hanales posted:

Yeah it was good I took my kid this weekend. Was a typical silly family flick like the original one. Also Both of those people pictured are in the movie

I heard it wasn't super great from people I trust but only because they liked the original so much, which is reasonable imo,. Outside of Fury Road I can't think of many series that were able to live up to an older 'classic'. Sounds to me like an all female cast is one of the best things about the new one, separates it more from the original. Wouldn't know to be honest haven't seen either. I might watch the original because 80s Sigourney Weaver was my second love after Ms Honey, namasté.

I thought this one was funny tbh but people were very cross

https://twitter.com/moshekasher/status/494981720605609984

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Aw yeah that's the stuff right there

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

People complaining about Max not being the main character have not seen very many Mad Max films

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

People complaining about Max not being the main character have not seen very many Mad Max films

But he took orders from a girl!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm normally a sap for the lamest romance subplots but I am really glad they didn't force one into Fury Road because it wouldn't have fit and it also made the scene where Max tells Furiosa his name really powerful imho. Also Rockatansky is a badass surname and I bet Max would not be picked on by my stepdad Lance and made to go to school in damp trousers

e: his stepdad Lance

e2: I have full parents neither of whom are called Lance and have never been sent to school in trousers of suspect dampness, please stop making a big deal of this. Now I really must go my stepdad's yelling again

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Jul 26, 2016

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

EmmyOk posted:

People who complained about Fury Road didn't actually give a poo poo about the precious integrity of the beloved Mad Max franchise. They were just pissy that a woman was more than the sex toy of the male character .

The irony is palpable.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There should be a forum where people can speak their mind about bad movies and games without fear of attacks from the feminazi army.

Sounds like they could use a Safe Space. :v:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

MGTOW are an entire generation of media raised idiots who are just now finding out that all those 80s and 90s comedies, where some nerdy hero overcomes a trivial obstacle and gets the hot girl, are not a blueprint for life.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Fashionable Jorts posted:

People who complained about Fury Road didn't actually give a poo poo about the precious integrity of the beloved Mad Max franchise. They were just pissy that a woman was more than the sex toy of the male character .

The irony is palpable.

Fury Road was loving awful, and it had nothing to do with Furiosa being "more than a sex toy." It was just a lovely movie. Most of the friends I have who saw the movie also think it's poo poo, and the closest any of them come to being MRAs is occasionally holding a door for a strong, independent woman even though she is capable of holding it for herself. It's actually possible to not like a crappy movie because it's a crappy movie, and not due to some deep-seated hatred of women. I'd go so far as to say that the vast majority of people who dislike crappy movies like Fury Road are reasonably normal, well-adjusted people, and the misogynist assholes who aren't satisfied by the other three literal sex toys featured in the film are what they've always been: a very loud, very stupid, and very small minority. There are plenty of people who actually do care about the integrity of a movie series they'd previously enjoyed, and there is plenty to dislike in Fury Road on that basis, alone. The childish need to divide the world into "horrible shitbags" and "people who agree with me" is tiresome.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Centripetal Horse posted:

Fury Road was loving awful, and it had nothing to do with Furiosa being "more than a sex toy." It was just a lovely movie. Most of the friends I have who saw the movie also think it's poo poo, and the closest any of them come to being MRAs is occasionally holding a door for a strong, independent woman even though she is capable of holding it for herself. It's actually possible to not like a crappy movie because it's a crappy movie, and not due to some deep-seated hatred of women. I'd go so far as to say that the vast majority of people who dislike crappy movies like Fury Road are reasonably normal, well-adjusted people, and the misogynist assholes who aren't satisfied by the other three literal sex toys featured in the film are what they've always been: a very loud, very stupid, and very small minority. There are plenty of people who actually do care about the integrity of a movie series they'd previously enjoyed, and there is plenty to dislike in Fury Road on that basis, alone. The childish need to divide the world into "horrible shitbags" and "people who agree with me" is tiresome.

Where's this from?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Heeeey, you're not LoB.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Please don't steal LoB's gimmick.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

We've already got an LoB, but thanks!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
fury road was p good

thanks for listening

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

No accounting for individual preferences, obviously, but you and your friends are in the minority among a minority if you thought Fury Road was crap AND you're not misogynist assholes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Did you eat another rancid sausage and melt your shithole bloody again?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Ghostbuster Tampons

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Plom Bar posted:

No accounting for individual preferences, obviously, but you and your friends are in the minority among a minority if you thought Fury Road was crap AND you're not misogynist assholes.

I'm pretty sure the overlap between "didn't like Fury Road" and "horrible human being" is a lot less dramatic than you're making it out to be.

Otisburg posted:

Did you eat another rancid sausage and melt your shithole bloody again?

No, but I suppose it's possible that the last set of rancid sausages introduced a parasite that hates Fury Road.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mad Max 2 is p much just lo fi Fury Road. It's fine not to like it but lmao at your screed defending the franchise's honor in iosm

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Fury road was good, Ghostbusters 2016 was also good, nerds are bad.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

i'm super proud of all my opinions about the movies i dislike

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I agree with you that its okay to dislike movies but I can't agree in this application at all. Fury Road is :perfect:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I'm pretty sure the overlap between "didn't like Fury Road" and "horrible human being" is a lot less dramatic than you're making it out to be.

The overlap between "feels the need to describe Fury Road in absolute terms like 'loving awful' when they see people enjoying it" and "is uncomfortable around women and randomly brings up holding the door open when misogyny is discussed" is a proportionally huge though.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

EmmyOk posted:

Mad Max 2 is p much just lo fi Fury Road. It's fine not to like it but lmao at your screed defending the franchise's honor in iosm

My "screed" was one moderately-sized paragraph, and I didn't spend any time at all defending the honor of Mad Max. I said some people actually do care about franchises they like, and that there were plenty of things to dislike about Fury Road if you were hoping to see more of the same. I guess maybe you just really wanted to say "screed" and "lmao" in the same sentence?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
All movies are bad forever

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

goose fleet posted:

All movies are bad forever

loving feminists.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The social media idiocy is coming from inside the thread. :smith:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My "screed" was one moderately-sized paragraph, and I didn't spend any time at all defending the honor of Mad Max. I said some people actually do care about franchises they like, and that there were plenty of things to dislike about Fury Road if you were hoping to see more of the same. I guess maybe you just really wanted to say "screed" and "lmao" in the same sentence?

Multiple people comparing it to a LoB post, sounds like a sensible and cool post imo

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I'm starting to think that all your friends you say agreed with you about the movie were just saying that so that you'd stop talking.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel pity for people who can't watch Ghostbusters without making a video about how it is THE WORST MOVIE EVER I'D RATHER WATCH SMURFS THAN THIS MOVIE AGAIN, AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A MISOGYNIST I LOVE WOMEN AND THERE ARE GREAT STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS LIKE INGRID BERGMAN AND RIPLEY AND UH SOME BOND VILLAINS.

Sometimes even a fairly mediocre and harmless gimmick comedy can bring new things to the table, like a whole new/underexplored character archetype like "ditzy male buff prettyboy who is too stupid to live but gets hit on by the female boss". I mean, it's no Citizen Kane, but it's a new thing to have on the screen, and who's against that? Who really wants to look forward to eight more decades of more of the same?

E: I know, I know, rhetorical af.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

please keep posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Somfin posted:

The overlap between "feels the need to describe Fury Road in absolute terms like 'loving awful' when they see people enjoying it" and "is uncomfortable around women and randomly brings up holding the door open when misogyny is discussed" is a proportionally huge though.

Oops. I missed this one in my last reply. I have no idea what point you're trying to make, here. You expect people to give their opinions in relative terms? "I think this movie sucked more than you think it sucked." That's not how people communicate. I'm pretty sure everyone who isn't you was able to prepend my post with, "In my opinion," without overtaxing their noggins. I was also responding to people who were using absolute terms. I'm not sure why you think following that format says anything about me. Finally, it wasn't random. I was responding directly to someone saying, "People who didn't like this movie hate/fear women." Once again, I'm pretty sure everyone, with the exception of you, understood the "holds doors" crack in context of the discussion.

You've done a weak rinse-and-repeat of the original post I was responding to. "Awful? DOORS?! He must be afraid of women!" I'm pretty sure you already know how stupid you're being, but just in case you don't, feel free to present your evidence that "describing movies in absolute terms" overlaps with being uncomfortable around women. I think I will be amused at what you have to say.

EmmyOk posted:

Multiple people comparing it to a LoB post, sounds like a sensible and cool post imo

Because my post was full of frothing hatred, or...?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

please keep posting

I'm going to have to go to sleep in a few minutes, here. Sorry.