Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The GAULEMs in ZTD were clearly way less advanced at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'm really stuck on something. One of the reasons Delta trapped everyone in the shelter was to ensure he could be born. But since the transporter works by sending the contents to other timelines, isn't that totally superfluous? Unlike Akane in 999, Delta's existence was assured merely by the fact of his existing. He didn't need to jump through any hoops.

If the idea was to propagate his (totally unlikely and fluky) existence throughout the many histories, there's another problem. Wouldn't Sigma and Diana need to be locked in that shelter--with that very specific set of circumstances--by someone other than Delta, at least once? Otherwise, it's a chicken-and-egg problem. How can Delta go back to the future and make sure he was born if he wasn't born "normally" at least once? Who was the first Zero that locked Sigma and Diana in during this hypothetical "original" game?

Is there a post-game scene in this one like there was in VLR?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Every single game has a chicken and egg scenario like that. How could Akane be alive if future her didn't set up a Nonary Game, for example?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Neopie posted:

Every single game has a chicken and egg scenario like that. How could Akane be alive if future her didn't set up a Nonary Game, for example?

they sorta changed how the multiverse stuff worked after 999, in 999 akane is erased from existence in all the bad endings where you fail to close the loop

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Yeah, Tautological reinforcement is a pretty big part of the ZE series and it's kind of a necessity for its conclusion.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

999 seemed to be working under the rules of that one famous movie with M-kun in it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Neopie posted:

Well, it's been a while, but doesn't she blink out of existence on some of the routes that don't lead to "Doki-Doki Sudoku PANIC: Inferno Edition"? Her existence is a schrodingers cat-style paradox that has to resolve itself during the Nonary game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The fevers she gets on routes that aren't the true end are literally her dying in a fire, yes.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

don't get me wrong, I totally get/agree with the complaints about VLR's questions not all being answered really. But I sorta expected that going in, because I thought that was more or less the expectation norm on that kinda thing?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I actually forgot everything Uchikoshi said would be in the game by the time I played it so lol. v:v:v

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Waffleman_ posted:

I actually forgot everything Uchikoshi said would be in the game by the time I played it so lol. v:v:v

Same. I was definitely expecting Blick Winkel and Alice/Clover to make an appearance though, since they were explicitly mentioned during the ending and post-game scene.

Is the leaked script for ZE3 out there somewhere? Kinda want to read it now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i wish

maybe uchikoshi will do it if somebody asks him nicely though

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hot take:

He never intended to answer any of those questions and him saying "wait for the sequal!" was him covering up his poo poo writing in VLR.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hot take:

He never intended to answer any of those questions and him saying "wait for the sequal!" was him covering up his poo poo writing in VLR.

You've been investing a lot of time into your criticism of this game series

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Other than the fourth question (which is basically answered in ZTD - Delta has an alien fax machine to send copies or "clones" of his brother to the future) those are all questions that don't actually matter at all. Uchikoshi probably hadn't decided whether to put those characters in ZTD yet so he gave a vague answer that left his options open.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

13/f/cali posted:

My interpretation of the timeline:

Nuclear war timelines:

-Riots break out in small city due to lack of Pepsi, which escalates to a worldwide Pepsi shortage
-A religious fanatic starts a nuclear war as a result of their thirst
-Humanity annihilated

Radical 6 timeline:

-The religious fanatic dies of Radical 6, but 6 billion still die
-VLR happens here

ZTD true ending:

-After everything seen in the decision game, Carlos is inspired and determined, becomes Pepsiman
-The events of the game Pepsiman happen
-Everybody has Pepsi and is happy

Uchikoshi just wanted to tie it all together at last.

Thanks for this, that actually made me laugh.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Other than the fourth question (which is basically answered in ZTD - Delta has an alien fax machine to send copies or "clones" of his brother to the future) those are all questions that don't actually matter at all. Uchikoshi probably hadn't decided whether to put those characters in ZTD yet so he gave a vague answer that left his options open.

Yeah as much as I really want to see more of Snake, that's more for fanservice than for actual plot relevance. But it would've been nice to have a little bit more detail on Aoi at least.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I choose to believe that Delta's motivation for everything was just to kill people in sadistic ways and get away with it. Sure, there was the whole "make sure you get born" thing but that was just window dressing.

Have you ever fantasizing about killing someone? Delta figured out that he could get away with it by killing off shifters. In the final ending he gets to read the shifters' minds and see all the horrific poo poo he did to them, all without actually being culpable for it because it didn't happen in this timeline.

There was no threat to 8 billion people from fanatics either. That was all a lie. He released Radical-6 in one of the doomed timelines just so he'd get to read Sigma's mind in the final ending and get to know what it'd be like to murder billions of people.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Delta reveal was poo poo for a multitude of reasons that would have been easily avoided if there was any indication that Delta was aware of ? and trying to fool them in particular. In fact, that's how I choose to read it - that's why he tells Akane about the FtS meeting, to inform her of this greater, possibly hostile force. As it stands there's literally no reason to conceal Delta from the player at all other than a really cheap gotcha moment, and all of the other games' twists have had way more significance than "oh yeah he was just off camera the whole time, duh". Delta's existence was NEVER a twist for the actual characters that the player depends on for the narrative, so just omitting him for absolutely no reason is lazy poo poo-sucking nonsense.

The other thing that I feel like I disagree with a ton of people on is Zero's "complex motives". We know that to ensure his birth, two of the other many timelines are necessary for Sigma's two attempts through the Decision Game leading to the Silver Lining ending. Both endings are bleak. But....those endings are the only ones that are required to exist out of all the horrific paths, and Delta actually implies that the bad timelines were simulations in the quantum computer. So why the rest of the paths? I kind of think that it's the opposite of everyone else's interpretation: he's trying to get Akane specifically to quit being so hesitant to use her powers when necessary, since her BttF theory doesn't actually play out as reality for the SHIFTers in the game. They never explicitly acknowledge it, but the memories of the SHIFTer aren't lost as Akane suspects but are assimilated. If you tie it in with the idea above about Delta being paranoid about ? it can be seen as him training her to match the possible threat and would help explain why in the VLR ending she goes to complete the AB project even after clearly meeting with Delta and the cult. I don't know, it seemed like there should have been something deeper to it than just "haha there was a secret extra character and we used deceptive camera angles that were indistinguishable from our poor 3D animation budget-saving techniques".

Other random poo poo that bugs me:
-What the gently caress is with Delta and Phi ending up in 1904? They set it for shortly before 2008, the transporter doesn't gently caress up this badly for anyone else the bunches of times its used, and Dr. Of All the Science Sigma Klim had ten months to study it again before firing it off.
-Sigma and Phi are mostly useless during the entire thing despite being the ones that have spent literally decades preparing for this.
-Related to the above, it was jarring to see Junpei and Akane in the game at all. Junpei I can actually accept on some level, but Akane being there completely defeats the purpose of sending Sigma and Phi, the specially-awakened SHIFTers, when Akane is there herself and spends the entire game SHIFTing around while Sigma crosses his arms and looks dour.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Ryoshi posted:

-Sigma and Phi are mostly useless during the entire thing despite being the ones that have spent literally decades preparing for this.
-Related to the above, it was jarring to see Junpei and Akane in the game at all. Junpei I can actually accept on some level, but Akane being there completely defeats the purpose of sending Sigma and Phi, the specially-awakened SHIFTers, when Akane is there herself and spends the entire game SHIFTing around while Sigma crosses his arms and looks dour.

These things are probably the things that bug me the most with the game, despite dropping the things like ? and Kyle. It felt like the whole point of VLR was that you were training up Sigma and Phi to go on this ultra important mission, but it ended up feeling like they didn't do very much at all.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

All of this is pure conjecture I made while playing:

- I think the point with VLR Akane is that she knows what happened in D-Com but Sigma don't. Akane said that Sigma and Phi are important but never said that their only purpose was to avoid this bad future. I'm pretty sure she only sends them to make sure the Radical-6 future still exists alongside creating a new timeline. Also, it's pretty much obvious that Akane is the brain of the whole operation while Sigma is just a tool she needs; Sigma is intelligent but he's also a grandpa who acted exactly like Akane wanted for a long time so it makes sense that he can't do anything much without Akane's input.

- Delta knows about this plan since he could easily read old Sigma and Phi minds; Akane and Junpei want to stop Free the Soul/Brother but since they don't come from the future and don't have that knowledge they're not that much of a threat. This is the whole reason why he kept Team D separated from Akane and why they are put in situations in which none of them could interfere with his plan, outside of the big blue button because "gently caress you mom, dad and sister from the future".

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Ventana posted:

These things are probably the things that bug me the most with the game, despite dropping the things like ? and Kyle. It felt like the whole point of VLR was that you were training up Sigma and Phi to go on this ultra important mission, but it ended up feeling like they didn't do very much at all.

Sigma was important because he had to bang Diana. Phi was there to..... be incinerated?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Like who the gently caress is Delta writing "LETS INHIBIT THE VIRUS" for? The truth isn't invisible to the characters!! They see him right there! It's only invisible to the player!

game so dumb grumble grumble

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lareine posted:

Sigma was important because he had to bang Diana. Phi was there to..... be incinerated?

Yeah she had to be there and die so Akane could leave the shelter and lock the door, and Sig and Di would get all sappy and sad about her and name the new baby Phi (influencing Delta's name as well) - or be there and LIVE so she carries out Delta's Radical-6 plan. That part actually sorta makes sense.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Was there any real reason Delta needed to be Diana and Sigma's kid outside adding an extra wrinkle to the Phi twist? I liked the idea of the bad guy being their son but it didn't seem to matter much at all aside from giving a flimsy reason for him having a flimsy power.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It feels like it was so you could have a "*gasp* but he's so OLD!!" moment but I don't recall there being a way to acknowledge his existence at all before the twins ending other than the Perceptive End tease, and they used that "is secretly old" thing as a twist last game, so...yeah.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Lareine posted:

Sigma was important and had to be there, yeah, but banging Diana didn't involve any of the cool shifting powers/training that was supposedly the point of VLR. Or did it? I don't remember Sigma shifting being too relevant to the twin's ending scenario, only to the final ending.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ventana posted:

Sigma was important and had to be there, yeah, but banging Diana didn't involve any of the cool shifting powers/training that was supposedly the point of VLR. Or did it? I don't remember Sigma shifting being too relevant to the twin's ending scenario, only to the final ending.

Genetic switches

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

VLR needing to happen to train Sigma is completely trivialized by the fact that Junpei, Akane, and Carlos all being able to jump around like it barely batters.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Maybe it's needed to help get more shifters in one place?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's been a loooong time since I played VLR, but weren't Sigma and Phi basically able to shift at will, regardless of their lives being in danger?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

It's been a loooong time since I played VLR, but weren't Sigma and Phi basically able to shift at will, regardless of their lives being in danger?

Let me tell you about the minds slingshot....

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

In VLR everyone's life is in danger the whole time due to the rad-6 and antimatter bombs.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Paul Zuvella posted:

VLR needing to happen to train Sigma is completely trivialized by the fact that Junpei, Akane, and Carlos all being able to jump around like it barely batters.

It's prolly cause Sigma and Akane skimped on the acid showers. Much more incentive to learn shifting when your timelines are extra gruesome. :v:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
vlr just exists so Sigma can bang his old waifu

god, team d sucks.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

I liked D-Team :colbert: That said, I wish they had done more to make Sigma and Phi maybe not completely useless since they were 2/3 people there with any idea of what the stakes really were. It felt like C-Team's SHIFTing shenanigans should have been D-Team's storyline.

Diana is great and a candidate for maybe the most tragic or sympathetic character in this series though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Extra Tasty posted:

I liked D-Team :colbert: That said, I wish they had done more to make Sigma and Phi maybe not completely useless since they were 2/3 people there with any idea of what the stakes really were. It felt like C-Team's SHIFTing shenanigans should have been D-Team's storyline.

Diana is great and a candidate for maybe the most tragic or sympathetic character in this series though.

I thought they were trying to complicate her a bit with ALIEN HAND SYNDROME... But nah, it was just Delta mindhacking her into murdering him because reasons?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

His motives are....complex.

I don't mind Delta, but I love making fun of that line.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

zero escape 4 will explain everything

sadly it will just be a text document on uchikoshi's blog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

• Locked thread