Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Don't listen to him, season 3 and 4 has all the cool, albeit really dumb, stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kay Kessler posted:

And as eye-rolling as it was, I've definitely got to give props to the manga writers having Astral outright confess to being in love with Yuma at the end of the manga. That's a pretty big deal for a shounen series.

I'm pretty sure Astral is a Genderless alien being, so nothing really subversive there. Hell, I'd say Yubel was more subversive...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Late GX didn't even remotely try to pretend Judai was straight and it was great. He fully accepts he loves Johan when asked by Yubel, and his other possible love interest (Yubel) is literally half-male, half-female in their monster form and absolutely ambiguous in their human form, with nothing pointing either way.

He also constantly plays dumb to Asuka's advances and doesn't return Rei's. Then again, by S3 GX makes no attempt to hide it is Card Game Evangelion either (seriously, Asuka and Rei) so this isn't very surprising.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The first, last, only and first episode of Gx you need to watch is 172, which isn't dubbed sadly, just watch that and then watch the whole series if you feel like it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Well okay yeah Season 4 is pretty good but I thought that was an unpopular opinion.

Season 3's first half is hilarious it's just the second half is the worrrrst ugggg

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
You def wanna watch the 5Ds dub, though, because Dan Green voices Trudge.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

alcharagia posted:

Well okay yeah Season 4 is pretty good but I thought that was an unpopular opinion.

Season 3's first half is hilarious it's just the second half is the worrrrst ugggg

The second half it takes itself seriously and it doesn't work. Which sucks as 172 dubbed would have been the best Yugioh episode ever.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Senerio posted:

You def wanna watch the 5Ds dub, though, because Dan Green voices Trudge.

Australian Jack is a travesty IMQHO

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Definitely but it also has some of the coolest GX archetypes and duels.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Arc-V manga is still good. Apart from the weird translation, that is. Ren's White monsters are pretty cool and an interesting archetype, coming back from the dead as ever-higher-level Tuners. Clear Wing Fast Dragon is pretty neat too, with its effect of sealing an opponent's effect and reducing its attack to zero, usable on either turn.

That said I have to seriously wonder why Yuya and Yugo get new versions of their dragons (Odd-Eyes Phantom Dragon and Clear Wing Fast Dragon respectively) while Yuto keeps Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon. Yuri hasn't shown his own yet, but it's most likely a Starve Venom X Dragon where X isn't Fusion.

Also now it's clear that the Yuyas were separate people in the past (although connected) which makes me even more curious about what happened in the past that fused all four and apparently gave Yuya bad enough memories that the other Yus want to erase them completely.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Well, that episode was kinda weird and pointless.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

PowerBeard posted:

Well, that episode was kinda weird and pointless.

You're going to have to be a bit more specific.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Someone just tried to sink a boat with trading cards.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Literally or was their some device that required a duel to deactivate, because one isn't that out of the ordinary.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Literally or was their some device that required a duel to deactivate, because one isn't that out of the ordinary.

Literally, albeit by card effect.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i'm watching the old show again and it is a hell of a nostalgia trip

also, i don't think i've ever posted in the anime forum before, hello everyone

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
anyone here because of giver336 say Aye

seriously though, I am currently at E11 of GX. I am enjoying seeing the Paradox Brothers again.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

i'm watching the old show again and it is a hell of a nostalgia trip

also, i don't think i've ever posted in the anime forum before, hello everyone

A pox upon you!

(The Doma arc in the original show is great :ssh:)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

A pox upon you!

(The Doma arc in the original show is great :ssh:)

I wouldn't know, I don't think I ever saw that part back then. started at the beginning and they're gettin on the boat

fun fact: in the morning, the sun will rise

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I'm marathoning the original series, and holy poo poo Capsule Monsters and Pyramid of Light are actually pretty funny in a dumb way.

And PoL had beautiful english versions of the actual cards instead of the dub proxies. :swoon:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Watching ep 13 of GX

I didn't know Tristan was in GX :classiclol:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

there's some really doofy art though

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 26, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You were all right, Arc V is real good

I appreciate the fact that they invented a way to make it so you can fall to your death while playing a card game. Also the people in the school who are apparently practicing drawing cards? I guess that's super hard and strenuous to do?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Early Arc-V is best described as a world where everyone can make their own Shadow Games, and they do, for fun.

Later Arc-V is best described as a world where everyone in two dimensions can do Pegasus' Soul Card Penalty Game, and they do, sometimes for fun.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also I guess you can just magically invent a new kind of trading card that wasn't in your deck before and that's tournament legal somehow?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Also I guess you can just magically invent a new kind of trading card that wasn't in your deck before and that's tournament legal somehow?

That happens in every single YGO series. People make up bullshit new cards all the time and they count as legal. Yuya's just the only one to create an entirely new type.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ahahaha this xyz guy is amazing

THIS CARD IS DARK AND TORMENTED JUST LIKE ME

i love it

e: so playing card games is basically just anime martial arts now i guess

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 27, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If the computer accepts it...

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

e: so playing card games is basically just anime martial arts now i guess

There's a guy later on you're going to love. :allears:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

this is literally the dumbest thing i have ever seen

it is kind of astounding

e: why does suzu think the crazy angst guy with different hair and voice and cards she's never seen before could be yuya

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 27, 2016

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

It's one of those things that you gotta suspend your disbelief at. Same reason everyone treats being able to use Xyz/Synchro/Fusion summoning as a big deal.

e: If you think it's stupid now, it gets really ridiculous later on.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 27, 2016

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

it is kind of astounding

e: why does suzu think the crazy angst guy with different hair and voice and cards she's never seen before could be yuya

I think you're supposed to believe that they look the same, and are just color coded for the viewer's convenience.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

it is kind of astounding

They have the same faces.

I like to think they have the same voices too, they're just different for benefit of the viewer.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yuuri and Yuuya are actually voiced by the same guy so it's kind of weird that they didn't have him do all four. Maybe he could only come up with two slight variations on the voice.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dabir posted:

Yuuri and Yuuya are actually voiced by the same guy so it's kind of weird that they didn't have him do all four. Maybe he could only come up with two slight variations on the voice.

Yugo and Yuuto are voiced by twins.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Neat! I'll probably check this out, if nothing else.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I found a Pixiv artist that does awesome Yugioh art. http://touch.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=58097567

Here's a few good ones:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I just found out that Shay's last name is Obsidian.

SHAY OBSIDIAN is the most Grimdark Edgy name ver so dub 4 lyfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This week's episode sure was pointless filler, huh. It was even drawn and animated badly. It did setup some stuff, but...it really was just filler. At least I could laugh at how incredibly chill everyone was.

Why did they bring back Crow instead of Jack? Reiji, what are you doing? We could've had an actually good character and you brought Crow.

I guess we should be happy that the Lancers are back together though, and with newfound determination, I'm sure they will do a lot from now on!

Next episode: the Lancers do absolutely nothing.