Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes they could make an animated movie and shop Henry Cavills face on it I suppose.

Nah, they're right. It wouldn't be that hard. I will maintain that 1970s film quality is the only reason that Reeve's costume specifically worked, but there's a lot of ground between actual spandex and basketball material/segmented rubber armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hollywood CG artists are way too much in love with greebly bullshit, it makes things like the Transformers film character designs impossible to really look at and have it not be gibberiish because there's just wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much pointless detail for the sake of pointless detail.

I mean I guess I can't blame the artists themselves, more the director/designer that demands that kind of poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
It is impossible for movies to look just like comic books. They can't make it look the way my brain does when I read.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

prefect posted:

It is impossible for movies to look just like comic books. They can't make it look the way my brain does when I read.
Well, I mean, Sin City.

The guys didn't have flat hammers for fingers but the overall aesthetic was cool.

Then they waited 10 years for the sequel and no one cared.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

prefect posted:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Excellent image of a movie that looked like poo poo and not at all like a comic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Comic book Deadpool has sculpted abs and the usual impossibly tight costume.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

deadpool's kinda a weird case because the movie version is absolutely covered in nonsensical armor (why are you wearing shinguards but nothing covering your guts?) and piping and straps and varied textures everywhere, it's just that that's faithful to the comic version, who still carries lots of 90s tactical "realism" influence just because of who the character is.

It's faithful, but that doesn't mean it's a good example of a flat fabric costume working in real life, or at least on screen.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Were all his eye movements CG? That was a really good detail.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Someone sarcastically posted Venom earlier, but like, Sam Rami's Spider-Man is probably the best comic-to-screen costume ever.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Someone sarcastically posted Venom earlier, but like, Sam Rami's Spider-Man is probably the best comic-to-screen costume ever.

You had it right the first time with Christopher Reeve. Raimi's Spider-Man started the tiny hexagon/basketball texture trend. Everything we're seeing now is a direct descendant of that.

I always hated the 3-D silver webbing myself.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The excellence of Christopher Reeve's acting aside(seriously, he was loving brilliant), I don't think he had enough pure muscle and no actor did, you'd need like a pro wrestler, they should have used some Hollywood film magic to make him look more buff. He ends up looking like someone's dad wearing a Superman costume. This is a character that started out inspired by circus strongmen, after all.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

Were all his eye movements CG? That was a really good detail.
If the eyes bulged or squinted, yes. I think I remember seeing some set photos where you could see dots on the mask for tracking.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Crowetron posted:

Excellent image of a movie that looked like poo poo and not at all like a comic.

Take that back! The Deadpool movie was a perfectly serviceable adaptation!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

WickedHate posted:

Regardless of the movie's quality, the Amazing 2 suit was better than any other Spider-Man film suit.

The Raimi one's eyes were too triangular and I didn't like the raised silver webbing. At the time it was the best though.

I do like the Civil War one as a way of doing something different with the suit without going as far away from the classic look as the ASM 1 suit. The changing eyes are a nice touch.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Iron Man looked perfect.

And all of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WickedHate posted:

It was last page, don't pretend you don't know who I am.

But that was more illustrating the pitfalls of making an animated film and shopping the actor's face on it. Also god what a clusterfuck fight sequence. The best comic-to-screen costume is actually tied between Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

It was last page, don't pretend you don't know who I am.

I'm sorry, I wasn't intentionally leaving you out. :(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

The excellence of Christopher Reeve's acting aside(seriously, he was loving brilliant), I don't think he had enough pure muscle and no actor did, you'd need like a pro wrestler, they should have used some Hollywood film magic to make him look more buff. He ends up looking like someone's dad wearing a Superman costume. This is a character that started out inspired by circus strongmen, after all.

Reeve's pythons could have been a little beefier but overall he was very well built and I think the costume actually shows a decent amount of muscle definition considering it's just really tight cloth. He's got broad shoulders, you can see his pecs and his abs through it.

The scene where he's talking to Lois on the rooftop before they fly together always shows it off pretty well IMO.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Travis343 posted:

Reeve's pythons could have been a little beefier but overall he was very well built and I think the costume actually shows a decent amount of muscle definition considering it's just really tight cloth. He's got broad shoulders, you can see his pecs and his abs through it.

The scene where he's talking to Lois on the rooftop before they fly together always shows it off pretty well IMO.

IMO that's about as buff as Superman should get. He doesn't need to be a body-builder because he doesn't need to lift weights for strength. A beefy farm-boy, sure, but not Mr. Olympian.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Ferrule posted:

IMO that's about as buff as Superman should get. He doesn't need to be a body-builder because he doesn't need to lift weights for strength. A beefy farm-boy, sure, but not Mr. Olympian.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the Superman of the 70s was not the Superman of today. He started getting more and more jacked sometime around the late 90s, and I couldn't say he has any consistent build now, because there's a lot more variation in art styles these days. Either way, Reeve was on point for the Superman of his day.

And yes, he was loving brilliant in the role. He's the only actor I know of who could effectively play Superman and Clark as two entirely different characters just by changing his facial expression.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm definitely not trying to say Reeve was in any other way not perfect for the role. The scene where he switched between Clark and Lois in her house alone was such sublime perfection I'm still blown away seeing it for the ten hundredth time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Crowetron posted:

Wrong. Teenage Negasonic Warhead was the platonic ideal of a Frank Quitely comic teen.

Ferrule posted:

Thought I quite appreciated Cavill's sexy shirtless run in MoS (god he was huge in that) he actually looks way less imposing in the costume because of the way it's textured and everything.

But yeah, Superman doesn't need to be HHH huge. It's just the post-arnold aesthetic that we consider to be "super strong"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LOOK AT THOSE STRIATIONS!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yeah that's pretty much 2002-03 era Superman.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I don't think I've ever seen this Ed McGuinness cover

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

gently caress, you beat me to the Ed McGuinness joke.

And I actually like Ed McGuinness

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Thought I quite appreciated Cavill's sexy shirtless run in MoS (god he was huge in that) he actually looks way less imposing in the costume because of the way it's textured and everything.

But yeah, Superman doesn't need to be HHH huge. It's just the post-arnold aesthetic that we consider to be "super strong"

Interestingly enough there was actually a lot going on behind the scenes to make that shirtless scene happen. It wasn't him coming to the set that day and whipping his shirt off while all the women (and some men) faint. Just for that short scene he went through an extreme diet and exercise plan designed to pump him up quickly while cutting body fat to a minimum. This is apparently becoming SOP for movie dudes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

muscles like this? posted:

Interestingly enough there was actually a lot going on behind the scenes to make that shirtless scene happen. It wasn't him coming to the set that day and whipping his shirt off while all the women (and some men) faint. Just for that short scene he went through an extreme diet and exercise plan designed to pump him up quickly while cutting body fat to a minimum. This is apparently becoming SOP for movie dudes.

For bodybuilding competitions, they also take diuretics to make sure there's no water bloating them and hiding those muscles.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
A lot of superheroes got jacked in the late 70's-80's.

Neal Adams, John Byrne, George Perez, etc. Jason Todd was a teenager and was pretty buff.

And don't get me started on that 90's TV Flash...

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Shouldn't superman have no muscles at all? If you're innately super strong, how would you possibly be able to work out and build muscle?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superman's invulnerability isn't absolute, he's just really, really durable thanks to his strength and all that. So he should be able to work out, but just get results really slowly I guess?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's also lifting planes and buildings and giant robots all day. Not to mention the core strength you would need to stay oriented in midair the way he does. Plus he's probably got super metabolism and years of farm work before he had absorbed enough yellow sunlight to get that strong.

I also could easily see him having a red sun workout room in the Fortress of Solitude.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Also steroids.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

He's also lifting planes and buildings and giant robots all day. Not to mention the core strength you would need to stay oriented in midair the way he does. Plus he's probably got super metabolism and years of farm work before he had absorbed enough yellow sunlight to get that strong.

I also could easily see him having a red sun workout room in the Fortress of Solitude.

If he gets too much yellow sun exposure, does he Hulk out?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

Actually yeah, kind of.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

prefect posted:

Usually he's just extremely strong and more invulnerable the older he gets. But in all star he was too close to the sun and his cells couldn't take it, and he got sun poisoning. So I think it depends on how much exposure in a short time vs. his entire life.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

prefect posted:

See All-Star Superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fatherboxx posted:

See All-Star Superman

This is a good suggestion, no matter the question.

• Locked thread