Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Predator 2 was pretty schlockly, alien 3 and 4 were also.

The sauce is on everything boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I actually like AvP. It's incredibly dumb but that's okay.

It's almost got the same appeal as resident evil when the Predator starts doing wrestling moves on the alien.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

Tenzarin posted:

All of them.

They are the best alien movies. Take my word for it, there's people here that actually like Prometheus.

People who don't like Prometheus sure like to remind people of that fact.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
AVP has that one pretty awesome scene where a single xeno kills two predators in the same fight. That was pretty loving cool to watch the first time since it's like the only time after Alien 3 where a xeno is effective at killing things. Otherwise AVP is pretty below average imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

At least Prometheus wasn't concerend about goddamn fan service.

Faaaan serrrrvicceeee
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2016/07/23/blomkamps-alien-5-innovative-amazing-performs-fan-service/

Also Predator can be schlocky as gently caress. I like that. But Alien should have a bit of class to it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

CelticPredator posted:

Faaaan serrrrvicceeee
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2016/07/23/blomkamps-alien-5-innovative-amazing-performs-fan-service/

Also Predator can be schlocky as gently caress. I like that. But Alien should have a bit of class to it.

I take this to mean that Blomkamp's script has the Ripley on Xenomorph sex scene.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

For how great Weaver is in them she really has no clue what makes a good alien movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Faaaan serrrrvicceeee

Predator is schlocky up to a very specific point in the movie (when Hawkins dies), and it can be argued that that's intentional as a callout for similar macho guns-blazing ultra-action movies. Once Hawkins bites it (and definitely once Blain bites it), the one-liners and goofy poo poo go right out the window and it's deadly serious from there on out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
True. It eviscerates the idea that Superior American Musclepower is going to Freedom the gently caress out of these jungle Guatemalans and doesn't stop running.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Predator is actually shlock from beginning to end. It's just shlock with literary aspirations, which has the effect of intensifying the shlockiness. You can all but see the Nietzsche quotes directly on the screen.

zVxTeflon posted:

For how great Weaver is in them she really has no clue what makes a good alien movie.

Weaver is right. Absolutely.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The DVD of AVPR was hosed up to the point of unwatchability, whatever your opinion of the movie itself. Even the daytime scenes look like day-for-night, and once it gets dark there are entire scenes that are just black with faint moving highlights. As someone said above, even cranking up your TV's brightness doesn't really help because there's hardly anything there to work with in the first place. It's one of the most botched pieces of encoding I've ever seen. AVP was hardly a great movie, but at least you could see what was going on (even if that was bullet-time facehuggers).

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Most schlock would be satisfied with having Dutch fight Predator and become like him and he's a monster now or whatever, like happened at the end of Conan. Instead, it's the kind of schlock where Dutch starts the movie as an elite soldier who is targeted by the Predator because they're kindred spirits. When Dutch realises this, he discards all of his weapons and his team and his training, and just punches Predator in the face.

By descending into the jungle and fighting monsters he becomes human etc.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
To be fair Alien does have a sex scene with the xeno, but it is Lambert who has the unfortunate pleasure.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

punchymcpunch posted:

Most schlock would be satisfied with having Dutch fight Predator and become like him and he's a monster now or whatever, like happened at the end of Conan. Instead, it's the kind of schlock where Dutch starts the movie as an elite soldier who is targeted by the Predator because they're kindred spirits. When Dutch realises this, he discards all of his weapons and his team and his training, and just punches Predator in the face.

A big point of Predator is that Arnold's 'code' is bullshit. It's similar to the 2014 Godzilla film: you're not 'neutral' just because you're a rescue team. There's a context.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Yeah, the rescue team are assassins, and they're hired because they're the best. Dillon doesn't specify if they're the best rescue team or the best assassins, because he knows it doesn't matter.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

punchymcpunch posted:

"Bahed I-teia".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zVxTeflon posted:

Tends to happen. Look at what happened to the Star Trek movies after Stewart and Spiner got creative control.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Random bits, Fassbender on Covenant:

"This Alien is going to be… I'm very excited to see it and everybody in the film was saying this is a film that we all want to see. It's much scarier than Prometheus but it's got the same sort of scope of Prometheus. Its kind of got more of the sort of thriller, imminent disaster feel that Alien had, so it's kind of a beautiful meeting of both of those films.
I'm really excited to see it, I think it's gonna be super scary number one and then again with the massive scope of Prometheus… Once it starts and the ball starts rolling, it doesn't let up. It's really gonna bring chills to the cinema."

And James Cameron rehashing on Alien3:

"I thought [the decision to eliminate Newt, Hicks, and Bishop] was dumb. I thought it was a huge slap in the face to the fans. David Fincher is a friend of mine, and he's an amazing filmmaker, unquestionably. That was kind of his first big gig, and he was getting vectored around by the studio, and he dropped into the production late, and they had a horrible script, and they were re-writing it on the fly. It was just a mess. I think it was a big mistake. Certainly, had we been involved we would not have done that, because we felt we earned something with the audience for those characters."

Cameron on Blomkamp's script:

"I think it works gangbusters. He shared it with me, and I think it's a very strong script and he could go make it tomorrow. I don't know anything about the production, and I don't know what Ridley [Scott]'s doing. But hopefully there'll be room for both of them. Like parallel universes."

"The rule when we made Aliens was that a sequel would cost twice as much and make half as much. It never really looked like a particularly good business model, so they were relatively rare... I think there's a tricky balance when you're doing a sequel, between making it fresh, surprising the audience, but not surprising them with such a swerve that they feel that it's not honoring the first film. You've got to play to expectations, you've got to play against expectations. And I always think that it's about answering a question that you didn't know to ask. But when they see it, it seems obvious."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna laugh when the Blomkamp movie comes out and is really loving good, yet still gets shat on here because Sigourney Weaver used the phrase "fan service" in a Comic-Con panel.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm glad Fassbender is back but does his donger show up in this one?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NarkyBark posted:

"I thought [the decision to eliminate Newt, Hicks, and Bishop] was dumb. I thought it was a huge slap in the face to the fans.

What a stupid thing to say.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I've said a lot how stupid it is that Blomkamp's Alien 3 got off the ground almost entirely off fanboys being angry that New and Hicks died, but I'd still be thrilled if it turns out to be a good movie. Just, as heavy handed as Blomkamp (this isn't a flaw, I love his stuff) I hope the studio lets him do something interesting with it beyond "The characters you love shooting tons of aliens in a hallway" or whatever.

MonsieurChoc posted:

What a stupid thing to say.

This is the same James Cameron who said Terminator 3 was awesome and an excellent film, then just last year was saying how Terminator 3 was a joke and that Terminator Genisys was awesome and the true sequel to Terminator 2.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

James Cameron also slammed AvP when it came out, and then praised it after he actually sat down and watched it.
The bottom line is that James Cameron says a lot of things. :v:
Also for the record, T3 is a cool but flawed movie with some great action and effects and a mega-ballsy ending, and Genisys gets way more flak than it deserves and genuinely has a lot going for it, and does really interesting things with the Kyle, John, Sarah, and Terminator characters, as well as the time travel mechanics.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna laugh when the Blomkamp movie comes out and is really loving good, yet still gets shat on here because Sigourney Weaver used the phrase "fan service" in a Comic-Con panel.
Basing a movie in strictly fan service is bad, unless the filmmaker can make up the missing elements with, you know, quality filmmaking. 'Aliens' didn't become a pop culture icon because of fan service.
Fan service combined with actual filmmaking gets you The Force Awakens or Jurassic World. A movie trying to coast on fan service alone gets you AvPR, or the goofy callbacks in the Star Wars prequels.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't really get why Blomkamp's Alien is supposed to be bad and get the sense that this thread is just an echo chamber for weak arguments as to why nihilism is not actually a retarded philosophy for babies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

James Cameron also slammed AvP when it came out, and then praised it after he actually sat down and watched it.
The bottom line is that James Cameron says a lot of things. :v:
Also for the record, T3 is a cool but flawed movie with some great action and effects and a mega-ballsy ending, and Genisys gets way more flak than it deserves and genuinely has a lot going for it, and does really interesting things with the Kyle, John, Sarah, and Terminator characters, as well as the time travel mechanics.

Basing a movie in strictly fan service is bad, unless the filmmaker can make up the missing elements with, you know, quality filmmaking. 'Aliens' didn't become a pop culture icon because of fan service.
Fan service combined with actual filmmaking gets you The Force Awakens or Jurassic World. A movie trying to coast on fan service alone gets you AvPR, or the goofy callbacks in the Star Wars prequels.

I would like Genisys a lot more if I hadn't seen the entire plot in commercials (causing the movie to flop), but I still wouldn't like their casting for the leads.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't really get why Blomkamp's Alien is supposed to be bad and get the sense that this thread is just an echo chamber for weak arguments as to why nihilism is not actually a retarded philosophy for babies.
It's "bad" because merely retconning Alien3 just because you're upset with how it handled the characters really is lazy fan service.

I'm not saying it's impossible for him to make a good Alien movie, just that his whole premise is lazy and reeks of a butthurt "fan" who can't get over a sequel that came out 20 years ago. I like Blomkamp's work a lot, and I'm confident he could do a cool Alien movie, I just don't think he needs to use 30 year old characters as a crutch to do it.

I would like Genisys a lot more if I hadn't seen the entire plot in commercials (causing the movie to flop), but I still wouldn't like their casting for the leads.

Spoiling the plot in the trailers was retarded, but to be fair, the "twist" for every Terminator movie was spoiled in the trailers (well except for the ending twist, but the rest of plot got spoiled wholesale). It's practically a tradition at this point. :v:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I don't really get why Blomkamp's Alien is supposed to be bad

- retconning A3 is stupid
- Weaver and Biehn are old
- his movies (other than D9) are trash

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Funny enough Requiem came on late last night. Holy poo poo was that movie even more mean-spirited than I remembered.

I'm ok with it because you know, aliens and predators. But drat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xenomrph posted:

I'll accept the surface appearance of a ballsy ending. But then you remember that No Fate But What We Make is ruined by it (and hence Sarah Conner's growth in T2 is ruined by extension) and it falls in on itself.

That film is a beautiful case of every scene being dumber than the one that preceded it.
"Yes, I believe this infiltration killing machine that I've literally spent my adult life fighting is ACTUALLY the one I saw melted in front of me. OH NO IT'S KILLING MEEeeee-"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

Basing a movie in strictly fan service is bad

Good thing the filmmaker has never said anything like that, then? The complaint is that Sigourney Weaver and James Cameron (neither of whom are making the movie, though one is acting in it) both said it contains fan service, which is apparently the greatest sin a movie can commit.

e: for all we know, the "fanservice" in question could be stuff like a Power Loader being used at one point, or the simple fact that it ignores 3 and Resurrection.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Every single bit info on this movie is "For the fans!"

"We're doing it FOR THE FANS!"
"It was a slap in the face TO THE FANS!"

gently caress the fans. gently caress them all. Ridley Scott knows what's up. He's the one making an Alien movie starring Danny loving McBride. I have no idea what to expect from that. But I can almost close my eyes and imagine how Blomkamp's Alien will be.

No doubt the plot will start because W-Y found the Alien Queen floating around in space. It won't escape Aliens enough to be it's own film. Which is why it might be fun, but like AvP, ultimately forgettable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's like a kid who got called a name once and then instead of moving on, just seethed and waited until he was strong enough to get his revenge. Alien 5 is Blomkamp's weird revenge fan film movie. When you see that crap play out, it's just...it's just boring.

I mean, my god people, let it the gently caress go. Why the gently caress are you still mad that a movie killed some character you liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mquByeLRYNM

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

It's like a kid who got called a name once and then instead of moving on, just seethed and waited until he was strong enough to get his revenge. Alien 5 is Blomkamp's weird revenge fan film movie. When you see that crap play out, it's just...it's just boring.

I mean, my god people, let it the gently caress go. Why the gently caress are you still mad that a movie killed some character you liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mquByeLRYNM

Why are you so incredibly mad that it's getting made? Alien: Covenant is still getting made, and in fact is taking priority over Blomkamp's movie (Covenant comes out 2017, 5 comes out 2018).

Also, the problems with Colonial Marines go waaaaaaaaaaay beyond "being based on Aliens." The resemblance to Aliens is like the one thing the game didn't completely botch.

If I'm gonna be real here: I'm not excited for Blomkamp's movie because I hate Alien 3 (I actually really like it). I'm excited for it because I have wanted a new "proper" Alien movie (i.e. not Prometheus or AvP) that didn't completely blow since I was literally a child (I was born '94- Resurrection was one of my earlier massive disappointments) and Blomkamp has a pretty solid chance of making this happen. The selling point to me is that it's one of my favorite "new-school" sci-fi directors taking on a franchise I have adored since, like, age 5, not that he's bringing back two rando characters who I like but don't really give that much of a poo poo about. Like, my thoughts upon finding out that Hicks was back were "holy poo poo, Michael Biehn is actually getting work again! yay!" not "THEY FINALLY DESTROYED THE HATED ALIEN 3."

Covenant will probably be a rad as hell movie. It might even end up being the better movie, on objective grounds. It still doesn't have the sheer "holy poo poo itshappening.gif" factor of Blomkamp making a direct sequel to Aliens for me.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 26, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because I hate this whole "I'm going back to fix what was once wronged!" approach to movies these days. It just feels like a step backward. And it's not even a canonical issue. You think his movie will stop me from enjoying Alien 3? Probably not. But it just feels petty and made because the director/writer is angry about something and not because they have a grand vision.

It's like if I decided, "okay, well gently caress you Blomkamp, when I become a famous director, the first thing I'm gonna do is erase YOUR movie!" It's personal in a very weird and dumb way that doesn't come from love. It comes from anger or disappointment.

That's just a sad way to waste an Alien flick on.

Also like, I'm glad you're happy about this or whatever, but I don't see what it has to do with me. I'm not stopping the guy from making his dumb fan film. I'm just sad that the only person who'd I'd like to see make an Alien film is wasting it on something so dull and useless that I just don't see it working.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 26, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

I have no beef with Prometheus, but I'm way more interested in that than Blomkamp's fan fiction. :( Which sucks because he's my number one choice to make an Alien movie. As much as I wouldn't mind seeing Ripley again, it's Hicks and possibly Newt coming back that sucks poo poo.

Blomkamp, they're dead, alright? Can I go now? Sheesh.

CelticPredator posted:

As much as I want to see a Neill Blomkamp Alien movie, I really don't want the whole thing to be about "fixing past mistakes". Go forward. Show me something new.

CelticPredator posted:

I'd rather take a really, really, really bad Prometheus sequel that does something different, over Ripley and Hicks shooting Aliens again.

CelticPredator posted:

The only thing that would've given Blomkamp's Aliens fan film merit in my eyes, would be that Newt became the head of W-Y and was currently harvesting Aliens out of fear and desperation. But I highly doubt that would've happened.

Ripley, Hicks, and Newt are dead. Get over it. Do something no one has seen yet. Which is why, regardless of my problems with Prometheus, I'd take that a thousand times over seeing Marines again.

CelticPredator posted:

The only way I'd be down with Blomkamp's fan fiction, is if he makes Newt the bad guy who runs W-Y.

Mostly because the passing the torch thing is lame as hell. Ripley owns, but she's one of a kind.

CelticPredator posted:

Make my alien movie. I have just enough ego to say my idea is better than Blomkamp's fan film.

Literally anything is better than Blomkamp's fan film. This is a hill I will fight for.

CelticPredator posted:

Every single bit info on this movie is "For the fans!"

"We're doing it FOR THE FANS!"
"It was a slap in the face TO THE FANS!"

gently caress the fans. gently caress them all. Ridley Scott knows what's up. He's the one making an Alien movie starring Danny loving McBride. I have no idea what to expect from that. But I can almost close my eyes and imagine how Blomkamp's Alien will be.

No doubt the plot will start because W-Y found the Alien Queen floating around in space. It won't escape Aliens enough to be it's own film. Which is why it might be fun, but like AvP, ultimately forgettable.

CelticPredator posted:

In one movie, Abraham Lincoln solves a courtroom mystery. In another movie, he battles vampires with a magic axe.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Also like, I'm glad you're happy about this or whatever, but I don't see what it has to do with me. I'm not stopping the guy from making his dumb fan film. I'm just sad that the only person who'd I'd like to see make an Alien film is wasting it on something so dull and useless that I just don't see it working.

What it has to do with you is, you seem completely incapable of seeing any other appeal to the project than fan service, and I just pointed out a pretty big one. Regardless of how, specifically, it's done, an Alien movie with Blomkamp at the helm is probably going to be rad as all hell.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 26, 2016

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Blomkamp rapemonstered my childhood.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In one movie, Abraham Lincoln solves a courtroom mystery. In another movie, he battles vampires with a magic axe.

I'm unhappy with how Lincoln was killed off.

In my upcoming film, "Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus," he survives in order to fight dinosaurs.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm unhappy with how Lincoln was killed off.

In my upcoming film, "Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus," he survives in order to fight dinosaurs.

If you're arguing against Blomkamp's movie, this is a bad argument, because I would watch the gently caress out of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If you're arguing against Blomkamp's movie, this is a bad argument, because I would watch the gently caress out of that

I mostly wanted to use that as the name of a movie.