Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

"Oldpainless, at PYF"

Well gently caress you too, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Canemacar posted:

Well gently caress you too, buddy.

Canemacar, a stick up his rear end.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Slime posted:

In the cartoon series there's plenty of supernatural nasties that were never human. Actually even in the original you've got hellhounds and a god so even there not all the things the ghostbusters take out are literal ghosts of dead humans.

To elaborate, some of the things they fought were direct manifestations of intense negative emotions, according to some of the background material I've read. Some of that might be from the comic books though. Even look at the things animated by the mood slime in GB2.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rydiafan posted:

No, no. That still gets you killed. What you need is:

*plays tape recording*

"If I'm not at an undisclosed location in an hour a copy of this will get mailed out the NYT, the Washington Post and the president of the united states."

No, that still gets you killed. What you really need is:

*plays tape recording*

*Theme from American Bandstand*

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
"And the only person who has any direct proof I have killed the king/murdered the President/did something horrible I-"

"Killed?"

"gently caress that poo poo, I banished him!"

Looking at you, Avatar, the Last Airbender. Seriously you made her leave and never ever come back, ooooh ooooo spooky!

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Just saw Central Intelligence last night (wasn't really my choice of movie...). Obviously it's not supposed to be serious, but was triggered when:

- Calvin sees Phil for the first time in the parking garage but somehow knows who he is.

- Was the CIA aware that Bob was innocent the whole time? Phil mentioned that they sent him under deep cover to find the real black badger when he's trying to convince Calvin Bob is guilty and it's then implied after Phil reveals himself as the real black badger that is what Bob had doing, but if so why were the CIA hunting him for the whole movie?

- If Bob didn't know that Phil was the black badger, then how did he know the real black badger wouldn't show up at the parking garage? What was the plan supposed to be? If he did know he was the black badger, wouldn't he have realised that he faked his own death?

- Why did they find a human ear in the elevator after Phil faked his death? He only mentions he exploded a "blood bag" which he didn't think would fool anyone. If so, why??

- How is Bob able to move/do things so quickly off camera? Is cleaning up impossibly fast something the CIA teaches you to do? Why did he have some sort of mountain dew party in his sleep when he stayed at Calvin's house?

- What was the message of the movie even supposed to be? "High school sucks for some but they will get revenge in the end, and for those it doesn't suck for life just works out to be alright" ???

:confused:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Atreiden posted:

What was Slimer a ghost of?

Chris Christie

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I get irritated when movies have a monster that's completely impervious to weaponry, especially guns. Especially assault rifles or other automatic weapons. Bullets are really strong, even 9mm rounds can do some significant damage to living tissue. Yes, there are animals, like bears, that can shrug off pistol fire, but it's not like they don't take wounds from it and bleed.

Anyway I just watched a show in which something like four men were firing SMGs at a monster, and after something like a minute of prolonged gunfire it apparently killed them all and chased down the protagonists, completely undamaged. That's just stupid.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

quote:

Stranger Things

It's a pretty well-established thing that maniacal, villainous organizations are dumb as hell when it comes to tying up loose ends. It should come as no surprise that even in a tiny shithole in Indiana they'd mess it up despite having access to every method under the sun by which to off someone without the local yokels asking questions.

I dunno, I laughed when he woke up in perfect shape without a mark on him. They demonstrated what they're capable of earlier and still willingly chose not to get rid of the (obvious, enormous) problem. I just assumed the writers were aping the trope :shrug:

Also some cold-blooded jerks rolling up with complaints about that poo poo when nobody cares about Barb, ever

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also some cold-blooded jerks rolling up with complaints about that poo poo when nobody cares about Barb, ever

Seriously that bugged the hell out of me too. The girl looks for her for like one or two episodes and then everyone completely forgets about her. And no one, especially not the parents, even ask questions about why she just up and left town out of nowhere.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Seriously that bugged the hell out of me too. The girl looks for her for like one or two episodes and then everyone completely forgets about her. And no one, especially not the parents, even ask questions about why she just up and left town out of nowhere.

I have the same problem with Something Wicked This Way Comes.

The schoolmarm gets transformed into a little girl by the carousel and the two boys find her weeping by a tree. Then they leave her there and go defeat the baddies and destroy her only chance at getting back to her right age and she's never mentioned again.

Thanks Bradbury

Thadbury

I think the show was trying to reverse the old horror trope of teenagers that gently caress are gonna get cut, so let's have the smart nice chaste girl get hosed over instead but RIP Barb.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I think with the girl looking for Barb, she reasoned that her friend was very likely dead and was instead looking to get revenge on the monster.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
In the case of Stranger Things, that poo poo was totally intentional and was an amazing slow burn.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

syscall girl posted:

destroy her only chance at getting back to her right age

She just has to wait a while.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Checks out.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, it might be inconvenient, but "oh no I've been made young again" isn't exactly a fate worse than death.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, it might be inconvenient, but "oh no I've been made young again" isn't exactly a fate worse than death.

Imagine the prospect of having to do puberty and High School twice.

Also you probably need a new identity and lose all your old friendships and everyone you ever knew or loved thinks you're dead. Also there's nobody to take care of you so good luck getting adopted, mystery girl with no birth certificate!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

I get irritated when movies have a monster that's completely impervious to weaponry, especially guns. Especially assault rifles or other automatic weapons. Bullets are really strong, even 9mm rounds can do some significant damage to living tissue. Yes, there are animals, like bears, that can shrug off pistol fire, but it's not like they don't take wounds from it and bleed.

Anyway I just watched a show in which something like four men were firing SMGs at a monster, and after something like a minute of prolonged gunfire it apparently killed them all and chased down the protagonists, completely undamaged. That's just stupid.

Were they silver bullets? Magic is whack.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

YggiDee posted:

Also you probably need a new identity and lose all your old friendships and everyone you ever knew or loved thinks you're dead. Also there's nobody to take care of you so good luck getting adopted, mystery girl with no birth certificate!

So what's the bad news?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Bah, fingerprints and genetic tests can prove it's you without question in the government's eyes, even if talking to people and telling them you got one hell of a facelift isn't enough.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Tunicate posted:

Bah, fingerprints and genetic tests can prove it's you without question in the government's eyes, even if talking to people and telling them you got one hell of a facelift isn't enough.

First of all, is the government likely to have, on file, the DNA and fingerprints of a 50 year old school marm with no notable criminal history? Also DNA profiling only started in 1985, which is a few years after the movie (1983) and a long time after the book came out (1962).

... And after rereading what I'm replying to, I realize that you were in fact probably joking :v: but I spent all that time looking up DNA profiling and fingerprinting and this movie/book I've never seen so I'm not about to back down now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, there is no grand DNA database in the world where you can just drop in some bio material and it'll spit out a dossier on the owner.

Really, unless you are a known criminal, a military member or a certain class of government employee, your DNA is unknown to the world.

(DNA forensics is a very nuanced and fascinating subject. Everyone should look into it.)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, there is no grand DNA database in the world where you can just drop in some bio material and it'll spit out a dossier on the owner.

Really, unless you are a known criminal, a military member or a certain class of government employee, your DNA is unknown to the world.

(DNA forensics is a very nuanced and fascinating subject. Everyone should look into it.)

Whatever you say, Mr. NSA.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Inzombiac posted:

I know why the government keeps the one cent piece in circulation.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Morpheus posted:

That was the big thing dragging down Cloverfield for me. I don't care how big and monstrous it is, if a tank shell scores a direct hit, it's breaking the bone (or goddamn it, at least the skin). My suspension of disbelief is pretty strong but geez now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Or unless you submitted to a site like 23 and me, or if any of your close relatives did

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Evilreaver posted:

That was the big thing dragging down Cloverfield for me. I don't care how big and monstrous it is, if a tank shell scores a direct hit, it's breaking the bone (or goddamn it, at least the skin). My suspension of disbelief is pretty strong but geez now.

I saw a clip from an anime of some sort where that was played well. Red dragon the size of a football field gets shot in the elbow by some dudes with an anti-tank missile launcher and it loses its forearm.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Memento posted:

I saw a clip from an anime of some sort where that was played well. Red dragon the size of a football field gets shot in the elbow by some dudes with an anti-tank missile launcher and it loses its forearm.

Did they then shoot it with another 4 and the anime was over because the dragon was dead?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Inzombiac posted:

I thought there was some sort of semen database with every bad guy's semen in it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SiKboy posted:

Did they then shoot it with another 4 and the anime was over because the dragon was dead?

I don't know, the clip ended. It seemed to have pissed it off a fair bit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SiKboy posted:

DRAKENGARD!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gaunab posted:

I thought there was some sort of semen database with every bad guy's semen in it.

:WhateverTheLawAndOrderEmoteIsIForgot:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inzombiac posted:

:WhateverTheLawAndOrderEmoteIsIForgot:

:doink:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Gaunab posted:

Your mother

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Why the gently caress is it Doink and not Donk?
I'm now Law & Order expert but that sound is Donk for sure.

Jesus Christ, people.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Evilreaver posted:

Your mother

I guess that makes the bad guys bad motherfuckers.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Inzombiac posted:

Why the gently caress is it Doink and not Donk?
I'm now Law & Order expert but that sound is Donk for sure.

Jesus Christ, people.

Apparently Dann Florek called it the Doink-Doink, and he played Captain Donald Cragen for literally 400 episodes so I guess he'd know.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Depends on the animal really. You could open fire with a 9mm uzi against a rhino and at most you'd probably draw blood or maybe cause a bruise. Their skin is just way too thick. Same with elephants to an extent.

That's why the guns made to hunt em are loving huge, and the bullets are gigantic, because they have to be in order to not only break the skin, but to get through some incredibly dense tissue and damage something on the inside.

Now, obviously movies aren't going to go hyperrealistic when it's a monster film, but with that sort of stuff it's more along the lines of lore/mythology based where it's more "OH poo poo OUR GUNS DID NOTHING" "Oh, it must be a hyper werewolf that can only be injured by platinum bullets!" or some kinda weird poo poo.

I'll agree 100% that it's kinda weird when the person getting shot is just sort of standing there like "Oh, hey, this is new" as opposed to at least flinching or spazzing a bit.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I just kinda assumed that since it was a spooky upsidedown world monster that it just straight doesn't give a gently caress about bullets. I mean it yanked its foot out of a bear trap with no problem, and being set on fire only seemed to confuse it. It took psychic powers to stop it, and that probably didn't even kill it, just sent it back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Memento posted:

Probably The Gate. It is basically a modern military vs D&D and ends exactly how one would expect. Charge of the Light Brigade in anime form.