Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Yeah that really stinks, sorry to hear.

On better news, the half cock limps a lot less after having been put in quarantine for a few days. Though it's adorable how he and his hens visit, tragically, at the concentration camp fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
We need more cute pictures of your little roo!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Our Hendini has gone broody again. She's easily tempted out of her nest with mealworms, though, whereupon I can't stop laughing at her burping out repeated high-pitched peeps. She's literally clucky!

Fortunately Runt's simple brain has now realised that her friend ain't coming out. Being awoken every morning with her sounding the head hen squawk alarm was getting tiring.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I just moved my 7 week old birds out of their brooder and they won't go back into the coop at night. I don't know how to speed up the learning process. It's too hot to lock them into the coop for a couple of days, as I've read. I've been having to pry the terrified, shrieking birds off of the ground as darkness envelopes the backyard each night. They can figure out how to get out of the coop and down the ramp just fine each morning, they just don't go up it all the way.
Here is such a bird, taunting me on the ramp.
Edit: nevermind! All but one bird figured out how to go to bed tonight.

samizdat fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 19, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Agatha the brown chicken died a few weeks ago, at around the 2-3 years of age where chickens sometimes just up and die. As that left just one, Virginia, my mum went and got two more little pullets. As usual, there were brown/red chickens, white chickens, and black chickens. As the neighbour has all black chickens this year and Virginia is a white chicken, mum got two more brown ones. She also sent me the poster they have up now telling everyone what the breeds of chickens are.

Kali and Alecto were Bond Blacks, a cross of a Rhode Island Red Cockerel and an Australorp Hen. (I knew they had to be part lorp!)

Virginia is a Bond White, a cross of a White Leghorn Cockerel and a Rhode Island White Hen.

Agatha was and the two new arrivals are Bond Browns, a cross of a Rhode Island Red Cockerel and a Rhode Island White Hen.

So far Virginia hasn't been bullying the new girls too badly - I think because there are two of them, rather than just one snuggly dopey Agatha.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Agatha the brown chicken died a few weeks ago, at around the 2-3 years of age where chickens sometimes just up and die. As that left just one, Virginia, my mum went and got two more little pullets. As usual, there were brown/red chickens, white chickens, and black chickens. As the neighbour has all black chickens this year and Virginia is a white chicken, mum got two more brown ones. She also sent me the poster they have up now telling everyone what the breeds of chickens are.

Kali and Alecto were Bond Blacks, a cross of a Rhode Island Red Cockerel and an Australorp Hen. (I knew they had to be part lorp!)

Virginia is a Bond White, a cross of a White Leghorn Cockerel and a Rhode Island White Hen.

Agatha was and the two new arrivals are Bond Browns, a cross of a Rhode Island Red Cockerel and a Rhode Island White Hen.

So far Virginia hasn't been bullying the new girls too badly - I think because there are two of them, rather than just one snuggly dopey Agatha.

It may also be if they're fairly younger she may not see them as a "threat" yet. The chicken bullying will come. And it will be glorious.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It may also be if they're fairly younger she may not see them as a "threat" yet. The chicken bullying will come. And it will be glorious.

It could also be that. Chickens are massive asshats.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It could also be that. Chickens are massive asshats.

True. When we bought in two new ex-batts , our existing two were OUTRAGED there were new hens and Pip (top hen) walked around all puffed up for two months solid to show HER DISPLEASURE AT THESE INTERLOPERS.

The new two have been with us two years now and they're still not fully accepted.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Serious chicken question. Can a roo learn to dance? Our Roo is starting to get horny, and going after the hens a bit in that regard, but doesn't do the courtship dance thingy. Is there a possibility he'll do that later on? How long should I give him a chance to be a more courtship gentlemanly cock?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

CountFosco posted:

Serious chicken question. Can a roo learn to dance? Our Roo is starting to get horny, and going after the hens a bit in that regard, but doesn't do the courtship dance thingy. Is there a possibility he'll do that later on? How long should I give him a chance to be a more courtship gentlemanly cock?

I guess?

Here's how all our roosters have been:

"Laaaaaaadies, I found food! Ladies! Lllllaaaaaaadies!" *buk buk buk sounds*
- Chicken ladies come to investigate
*ROOSTER IMMEDIATELY JUMPS ON THE CLOSEST HEN*

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Someone in my neighborhood has a rooster, but the joke's on him because I wake up before he starts crowing.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Or you could live in my neighborhood, and be hearing my rear end in a top hat lady-hen, who has taken up crowing >:(

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm going to keep trying to get video of this, but right now the act of filming seems to be stopping the act dead in its tracks...

So a couple months back we put our ringneck dove, Oliver, out in the coop/run to enjoy some sun, flying and dust-baths. He's been loving it.

We also had three chicks, only one of which survived. Christopher is a puffy white chicken, super-cute. Anyhow, Oliver and Cristopher hit it off. For the last couple weeks they've been sleeping together and watching each others' backs from the adult chickens.

It was cute enough when they were around the same size, but two weeks later, Christopher is easily three times larger than Oliver. And yet, Oliver treats her like a little baby still.

Today, I watched Oliver grooming Christopher's feathers for at least twenty minutes, the whole time Chris is just drinking in the affection, eyes squinty and feathers all fluffed up.

I have GOT to get footage of this, it's too cute not to share!

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
My chickens have had raspy voices but their breathing, etc. is fine. It's been going on since about 5 or 6 weeks (they're almost 8 weeks) and I thought perhaps their brooder was holding in dust. They've been outdoors with fresh air for a week and no change in raspiness. There's nothing wrong with their poop and they have no other symptoms. I'm torn between wanting to treat them (because I have no other symptoms to point to in order to figure out what they need to be treated with) or just ignore it/assume I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm worried about nothing. Are their voices just changing?

We are having a ridiculous heatwave and my chickens are having frozen water treats with corn, kale, and watermelon. Their coop/run is under a mature sycamore tree and that helps a lot with the sun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not chickens per se, but this was posted in PYF and I thought y'all would appreciate it.

Knorth posted:

here's a pretty bad picture of the same peacock being a good lap bird

the other one is a bit smaller and would sit on your shoulder and snuggle up to your neck :3: Going to be a lot of fun when she gets bigger...

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

samizdat posted:

My chickens have had raspy voices but their breathing, etc. is fine. It's been going on since about 5 or 6 weeks (they're almost 8 weeks) and I thought perhaps their brooder was holding in dust. They've been outdoors with fresh air for a week and no change in raspiness. There's nothing wrong with their poop and they have no other symptoms. I'm torn between wanting to treat them (because I have no other symptoms to point to in order to figure out what they need to be treated with) or just ignore it/assume I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm worried about nothing. Are their voices just changing?

We are having a ridiculous heatwave and my chickens are having frozen water treats with corn, kale, and watermelon. Their coop/run is under a mature sycamore tree and that helps a lot with the sun.

The way you describe it, it doesn't sound familiar. At the same time they do gradually go from peeping to bawking at some point, and maybe that's what you hear. The first attempts at crowing are always hilarious. I'd probably just keep an eye on the situation -- most likely they're doing fine.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

samizdat posted:

Dust, if it was very present, could have done lingering damage or caused an infection, but infections do develop on their own. Anyway, it might be worth waiting more than just a week to see if the raspiness clears up.

Also, if cedar shavings are present within their confinement, that can cause respiratory issues.

If you haven't already seen this, a similar problem was discussed here: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/282357/salmon-fav-losing-his-voice-sounds-raspy

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 26, 2016

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

samizdat posted:

Can you record them so we can hear their voices? Normany chicks's vocie breaks after 10 weeks or so. Also, I don't know how easy it'd be to actually hear their chests when they breathe, but when my chickens (adult chickens) have had issues, I can hear a bit of gurgling coming from their chests when they breather, but I have to pretty much put my ear against their chests. If you don't see any symptoms appearing, no changes in behavior, like listless chicks, or a decrease in appetite or activity, then I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on them for any subtle changes, as you most likely have learned by now that birds tend to hide ilnesses until they are about to drop dead, drat stupid birds :downs:

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
one of my hens hatched some eggs

i like the grey one's fancy yellow stripes

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

^^ Soooo cute ^^

Using the hen to walk around and hatch the Pokemon eggs (which hatch after 2km, 5km & 10km).

My chickens would just sit and refuse to move, or bury the phone.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Here's an example of the hoarse chick voice. I hope that site isn't garbage, I don't know what the equivalent to imgur is for videos.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

samizdat posted:

Here's an example of the hoarse chick voice. I hope that site isn't garbage, I don't know what the equivalent to imgur is for videos.

There's this new fad site called Youtube, you might not have heard of it :v:. Just set it to Hidden and the only way anyone can see it is by linking it directly.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I just want to drop videos without logging in :filez:

Also, their bedding was "low dust" pine chips but I am worried that it was too dusty in combination with my storage bin brooder. I dumped the last of their brooder bedding into a forlorn spot of my yard to create a compost pile and it produced an insane dust cloud. I never noticed it that much when I would clean it indoors and put it in the trash.

samizdat fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 27, 2016

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Chickens are dusty on their own. I had to scrub down the room I kept mine in because of the dust/dander. It's a fact of chicken life, no matter what you use for bedding it'll be dusty when they're done with it.

Now that they're outside you can try wetting their bedding down with a hose mister or adding kitchen scraps to their run (adds moisture, and they'll like digging and turning the bedding to find treats, which will compost it for you very quickly!).

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i have a new araucana rooster and instead of crowing he screams like the souls of the damned

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
also i have a trio of teen keets and only one of their voices has broken so when they're chatting to each other it sounds like peepy kee queepy chee NANK! squeepy pee NANK!

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
The new hens just started laying a week ago. When I hardboil their eggs, the egg white comes out more like loose custard instead of the firmer, more rubbery texture I'm used to. Are my hens broken? Do they just need to get in the groove? I don't recall this problem from the previous batch some years ago.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
first eggs can be kinda weird but it might be a nutritional problem, maybe they aren't getting enough protein so the whites aren't setting? fresh eggs kinda suck for hard boiling though. i'd let em age for a few weeks first or you'll never get them peeled in one piece. best way ever to cook super fresh eggs is poaching :getin:

we have four little peeps now

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Ausrotten posted:

first eggs can be kinda weird but it might be a nutritional problem, maybe they aren't getting enough protein so the whites aren't setting? fresh eggs kinda suck for hard boiling though. i'd let em age for a few weeks first or you'll never get them peeled in one piece. best way ever to cook super fresh eggs is poaching :getin:

we have four little peeps now

Bitty peeps! So cute!

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Ausrotten posted:

best way ever to cook super fresh eggs is poaching :getin:

Favorite recipe? Or do you just eat them plain?

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
it's not terribly fancy or involved but they're amazing on toasted bread with pesto, tomatoes, goat cheese, and balsamic reduction

Bartleby
Sep 23, 2004

Special needs since 2003
I seek the wisdom of the collective for some point of lays that I've had for two weeks:

Gertrude

Agnes

Brunnhilde

and Lynn

Brunnhilde did a kind of egg bound hunch a couple of hours before bed last night, and was fairly unresponsive. Not knowing for sure I put her in sick bay for the night, to monitor poo etc. This morning she had passed two shell-less eggs and was looking a lot brighter, so I popped her back in with the others. When I went to check the coop there were two further shell-less eggs in there. I know for sure they were from the others, there was nothing in there before bed.

Why would the current layers (Lynn is not laying consistently yet, but one could have been from her) all shoot out a shell-less egg together? They have access to a grit/oyster shell mix and layers pellets at all times, and eggs were all good from the oldest three yesterday. The only thing I can think of is that something (deer maybe) got stuck in the netting I use to free range them for a portion of the day nearby, the night before last, and maybe it was screaming and frightened them? Three of the stakes were uprooted so what ever it was must have struggled. I'm going to reduce treats in the day to make sure they eat enough pellets, but otherwise I'm stumped!

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Ausrotten posted:

first eggs can be kinda weird but it might be a nutritional problem, maybe they aren't getting enough protein so the whites aren't setting?

That's a good point -- as of now they're still on a higher protein ration as I didn't expect them to be laying already. They do have oyster shell available, so I think I'll keep feeding this until the bag runs out and then switch to regular layer pellets. Maybe this has something to do with the weird egg texture.

Bartleby posted:

Why would the current layers (Lynn is not laying consistently yet, but one could have been from her) all shoot out a shell-less egg together? They have access to a grit/oyster shell mix and layers pellets at all times, and eggs were all good from the oldest three yesterday. The only thing I can think of is that something (deer maybe) got stuck in the netting I use to free range them for a portion of the day nearby, the night before last, and maybe it was screaming and frightened them? Three of the stakes were uprooted so what ever it was must have struggled. I'm going to reduce treats in the day to make sure they eat enough pellets, but otherwise I'm stumped!

My first thought would be that they all ate something unusual, but that's a wild guess. Very curious, please let us know how it develops. Egg binding/internal laying stinks in a big way.

Bartleby
Sep 23, 2004

Special needs since 2003

hey santa baby posted:

My first thought would be that they all ate something unusual, but that's a wild guess. Very curious, please let us know how it develops. Egg binding/internal laying stinks in a big way.

Thanks. They all went back to laying properly the next day, so not sure what happened :iiam:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

don't bok to me or my sons ever again

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
omg you guys i've never candled a pure white egg before but last month i bought a few leghorns and the eggshells are so pale i can see everything inside and i just saw a 9-day-old chick foetus flap its wings :3:

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Avshalom posted:

i've candled a pure white egg

careful...

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
blue hatched two more so we're up to six chicks now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Chickenmamas :kimchi:

Myrcella has finally stopped moping around mourning Ellaria. I know this because she was in the run this morning with the other girls and yelling her fool head off, instead of huddled on the roost looking pathetic and warbling to herself.

I was a little worried because her comb looked pale and she wasn't much interested in food, but I'm going to assume it was the combination of a nasty heat wave (which has somewhat broken) and the loss of her hatchmate because she seems *much* better today. They got grapes for breakfast and all three enjoyed the treat.