Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daniel Hillard
May 22, 2012

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Forgive me. I didn't think to immediately look for a link to a recipe on a page that purports to be a recipe.

I thought this was the thread where we bitch about food stuff.

thought it was about looking at funny pictures of bad food not publicly trying to prove to everybody that you're retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought this is where we discuss how well done is the only way to prepare steak

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I thought this was the thread where we bitch about food stuff.

Pointing out that you want a recipe, yet ironically you seem to be incapable of reading, was bitching about food stuff.

Also, it's Kenji, he's a slightly spergier Alton Brown and writes articles for other food spergs. If you are not a food sperg, then Old El Paso puts refried beans is a can these days and I hear that there are such things as "stores" where said cans might be found - although, with your reading difficulties, finding one might be a bit of a challenge.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PCOS Bill posted:

I thought this is where we discuss how well done is the only way to prepare steak

That's the NFL thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774234&pagenumber=81&perpage=40#post460226833

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PCOS Bill posted:

I thought this is where I discuss how well done is the only way to prepare steak

Yeah we see a lot of that here.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

rndmnmbr posted:

Pointing out that you want a recipe, yet ironically you seem to be incapable of reading, was bitching about food stuff.

Also, it's Kenji, he's a slightly spergier Alton Brown and writes articles for other food spergs. If you are not a food sperg, then Old El Paso puts refried beans is a can these days and I hear that there are such things as "stores" where said cans might be found - although, with your reading difficulties, finding one might be a bit of a challenge.

Yeah OK reading champ maybe you should let them know their byline is wrong.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Khmarinara Rouge.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I dimly recall a satiric take on the seriouseats format that had a long, drawn out story about childhoods at the lake and the actual recipe was two vague lines full of typos, anyone know what I mean and have a link ready?

I started searching because I could've sworn that I've posted it ITT before.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I'm still looking for the actual happy-herb pizza. :420:

Having been to that street in Siem Reap (though not that restaurant), you can just order any pizza "with happy".

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Efexeye posted:

i mean, seriouseats is like the alton brown of internet recipe sites. they can both do 60 minutes on how to boil a loving egg

Alton Brown is entertaining and informative :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

NO

PIZZA

RULES!!!!

:nsacloud:

(via)

These look bland, certainly, but not bad as such.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

Alton Brown is entertaining and informative :colbert:

I agree, I don't really watch him for the recipes though, I like the history and science lessons

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

It's even better than I remembered :allears:

e: the implications of "slightly modified" are slaying me

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 11:17 on Jul 25, 2016

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Chicken-flavor ramen with Pace and sriracha

Tastes better than I expected, but also much, much saltier.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Hahahahaha that final line is amazing

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Would not take a photo after a wad of something I'd bitten into falls out of my mouth

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Efexeye posted:

i mean, seriouseats is like the alton brown of internet recipe sites. they can both do 60 minutes on how to boil a loving egg

I needed references on crappy cheap alcohol, and I found that Serious Eats had a Drinking the Bottom Shelf column where the guy would review low-priced alcohol of every stripe and see how it stacks up compared to the more expensive stuff (like pirate-themed Captain Morgan rum knockoffs or the latest Anheuser-Busch monstrosity) so I started opening them up.

Every single one had a good dozen or two paragraphs describing the exact turn of events that led to the writer coming across and purchasing this beverage, sometimes detailing an entire day's activities or how he's planning his marriage, and then one or two paragraphs at the very bottom that actually say how the drink tasted.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh come on, the American Midwest is worse. At least east Asia has whimsy and is creative at least. The Midwest is wet starch and cheese and depression

Grand Fromage posted:

I am from the midwest, what you describe is unfamiliar to me. I grew up mostly with Italian, Chinese, and Japanese food. And barbecue.

You can find sushi and pappa al pomodoro and bayenetu and whatever in the Midwest, but for every place in which you can sit down to an authentic plate of palak paneer, there are dozens upon dozens of restaurants that serve stuff that's barely one step above truck stop food. And the rural areas (of which there are plenty) have few choices of restaurant food in general, let alone stuff they'd call "foreign" or "exotic."

Hell, in my tiny hometown, the "nice" sit-down place you'd go to after church on Sunday was a truck stop restaurant.

Good stuff is out there, but the region is (geographically) huge, and the "regional flavor" is overwhelmingly poo poo like mashed taters, fried chicken, mac 'n' cheese, and ranch dressing. Poverty and deplorable levels of education have a lot to do with why this is the case. You should be happy when you see loose corn on a Midwest plate because it means that at least some tiny part of the message "your kids need nutrition you idiots, quit feeding them garbage food" got through to us :toot:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

chitoryu12 posted:

I needed references on crappy cheap alcohol, and I found that Serious Eats had a Drinking the Bottom Shelf column where the guy would review low-priced alcohol of every stripe and see how it stacks up compared to the more expensive stuff (like pirate-themed Captain Morgan rum knockoffs or the latest Anheuser-Busch monstrosity) so I started opening them up.

Every single one had a good dozen or two paragraphs describing the exact turn of events that led to the writer coming across and purchasing this beverage, sometimes detailing an entire day's activities or how he's planning his marriage, and then one or two paragraphs at the very bottom that actually say how the drink tasted.

Will Gordon moved to deadspin and then to Men's Health, where he's continued that general line (most recently comparing Olde English 800 to Colt 45):
https://kinja.com/willgordon
http://www.menshealth.com/author/will-gordon

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

it's because pages with a lot of copy rank better than more useful pages that just contain recipes

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

RareAcumen posted:

well, if we're reposting the classics,

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Efexeye posted:

it's because pages with a lot of copy rank better than more useful pages that just contain recipes

Sometimes they're also crowd-sourced and the author gets paid by the word count. There are plenty of sketchy 'write an article about whatever' hits on amazon turk.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You can find sushi and pappa al pomodoro and bayenetu and whatever in the Midwest, but for every place in which you can sit down to an authentic plate of palak paneer, there are dozens upon dozens of restaurants that serve stuff that's barely one step above truck stop food. And the rural areas (of which there are plenty) have few choices of restaurant food in general, let alone stuff they'd call "foreign" or "exotic."

Hell, in my tiny hometown, the "nice" sit-down place you'd go to after church on Sunday was a truck stop restaurant.

Good stuff is out there, but the region is (geographically) huge, and the "regional flavor" is overwhelmingly poo poo like mashed taters, fried chicken, mac 'n' cheese, and ranch dressing. Poverty and deplorable levels of education have a lot to do with why this is the case. You should be happy when you see loose corn on a Midwest plate because it means that at least some tiny part of the message "your kids need nutrition you idiots, quit feeding them garbage food" got through to us :toot:

You shut your filthy whore mouth about fried chicken

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

well, if we're reposting the classics,

Oh my god, this is wonderful.

Post more if you've got em.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmp0n0km8tk

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isD9mxHw2Ac

Thanks for nothing Erik

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

FrankJavCee is a wonderful gift to the Internet and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise :colbert:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

also ramen with pace and sriracha, but this time with steak

and more water for the "broth" so it's not so damned salty

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Motsarella Cheese

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FFT posted:

also ramen with pace and sriracha, but this time with steak

and more water for the "broth" so it's not so damned salty

Chicken spice packet is so loving salty. Just add less of it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The General posted:

Chicken spice packet is so loving salty. Just add less of it.
don't tell me how to live my life

The General
Mar 4, 2007

gently caress it. Crack and egg and throw it in too. That's what I do. And every time I tell myself I'm not gonna add the second packet (2 packs at a time is the way to go), I do it anyways.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ulmont posted:

If only they had included a link to the recipe that was visible as soon as you opened the article.

Yup.

Yeah, I don't want to hear about the science behind a recipe, and why they made the decisions they did, that's nerd poo poo

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The General posted:

And every time I tell myself I'm not gonna add the second packet (2 packs at a time is the way to go), I do it anyways.

That's got to be like two grams of salt :barf:

There's a serious risk of heart attack here, mainly for your poor doctor if he reads that post

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My brother makes them two packs at a time and uses both broth packets, and then will add salt periodically throughout eating it. He says he needs to "taste the salt" in each bite or he doesn't enjoy it. He also puts a good amount of it on pizza (but not before patting the grease off with paper towels, can't be unhealthy you know).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I need to feel the salt crunch between my teeth in each bite.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

we have a local burger/shake chain that puts this much salt in their burgers.

just straight onto the patty during assembly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

My Lovely Horse posted:

I love these things, but I also feel like they need to have a warning printed on the bag: https://www.uniquesplits.com/pretzel-splits/extra-salted-pretzel-splits.html