Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Tetracube posted:

what's the definitive power level ranking of all k6bd characters

Top tier is obviously YISUN, bottom tier is also YISUN though. It's all YISUN.

SunAndSpring posted:

Pre-ordered the hell out of it.

Anyways, which Demiurge has the worst domain?

Incubus. I don't know how much we'll get to see of his but the little I plan to show should get the point across.

Super Waffle posted:

Since you're answering questions; if offered the opportunity to adapt your comic to an animated series, would you take it?

Weirdly I don't think so, it's a kind of long and awkward story that I like to think gets by on the format. You could do like a 20 minute art-focused short of it and I think it would work really well, or like a short animated movie, but I don't think it would adapt to a series well.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Were you reading this thread? Also, did you do some GBS cyoags way back? I think I remember your handle from somewhere. The daily comics mock thread maybe?

I've read this thread occasionally and I did post in the other webcomics thread and the making comics thread. Haven't done anything for GBS. I mostly just lurk SA and post about video games.

Operant fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Operant posted:

Top tier is obviously YISUN, bottom tier is also YISUN though. It's all YISUN.

I love you and I love this comic

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Operant posted:

Hey nerds, it's me, KSBD guy (Tom/Abbadon).

Image just put up the promotion for the book coming out so I guess it's a good idea as any to pop in the thread if you guys have any questions, wild speculation, etc you want to throw my way.

Does any of your K6BD worldbuilding draw inspiration from Glorantha? Your stuff reminds me a lot of the Lunar mysticism from that setting (eg)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Operant posted:

Weirdly I don't think so, it's a kind of long and awkward story that I like to think gets by on the format. You could do like a 20 minute art-focused short of it and I think it would work really well, or like a short animated movie, but I don't think it would adapt to a series well.

So if you were approached with an offer for a K6BD animated series, do you think you'd instead try a different story in the same universe, or would you want to try something else entirely?

Do any of the demiurges have a domain that's actually relatively nice?

My own bias is really obvious, but do you have a favorite Pursuer?

Also, I got my FLCS to stock the comic, I look forward to picking it up!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Old Man Mozz posted:

same

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
For real, this is my favorite webcomic I've ever read. You're doing YISUN's work, Operant.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
When will we get the story of Aesma's Dog?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Is YS-VOYA ever going to show up again? Or is it safe to assume that every bird on panel is also YS-VOYA?

Or to put it another way, to what extent are you still integrating content from the comments section? And are there plans for another big submission thing like Princess' name?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I guess this is sort of a power level question, but it's not so much about rankings or specific comparison, just a general sense of when to expect poo poo to really hit the fan.

You've said in the past that Jagganoth is more powerful than any other single demiurge, but not as powerful as all the other demiurges put together. I imagine Allison taking out Mottom raises the specter of chaos, but doesn't change the equation too drastically - Jagganoth still can't take on the others alone, though the margin isn't as certain. But Allison seems to be on course to go after the others.

About when does the scale tips in his favor, if nothing else changes? When half the demiurges fall? More? Less?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hey Operant, cool comic!

Could you share a bit about the writing process? Your world seems so eclectic and chaotic that it must be hard to keep everything balanced. Do you have an outline for how the whole plot will play out and you're filling it in?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I guess this is sort of a power level question, but it's not so much about rankings or specific comparison, just a general sense of when to expect poo poo to really hit the fan.

You've said in the past that Jagganoth is more powerful than any other single demiurge, but not as powerful as all the other demiurges put together. I imagine Allison taking out Mottom raises the specter of chaos, but doesn't change the equation too drastically - Jagganoth still can't take on the others alone, though the margin isn't as certain. But Allison seems to be on course to go after the others.

About when does the scale tips in his favor, if nothing else changes? When half the demiurges fall? More? Less?

I suspect the answer is like real life superpowers - nobody quite knows, although some have some pretty educated guesses.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What counts as a demon?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Operant posted:

Image just put up the promotion for the book coming out so I guess it's a good idea as any to pop in the thread if you guys have any questions, wild speculation, etc you want to throw my way.

I'm trying to get it through my local comic shop in the hopes that they'll pick up an extra copy or two to sell. (They sometimes do this.)

Since other folks seem to be handling the questions, I guess I'll take care of wild speculation. Here are some things that will definitely for sure happen in the comic, I am totally certain of it:

• The next time Alison runs into a devil contest, she steals a guitar from an innocent bystander and defeats all the devils with the power of ROCK. The climactic shred-off between her and the lead devil is so magnificent that it tears literal holes in reality and inspires the creation of three new churches.
  • White Chain storms into Michael's office to throw her badge on his desk. But because he doesn't have an office and she doesn't have a badge, she has to compromise by storming into his decaying, half-ruined temple/judgment hall and hurling her arm at him. Later, she rips off part of Juggstar's motorcycle and makes a new arm out of that. It works fine aside from the occasional attempt to strangle her.
  • Metatron invites Cio over for tea and they have a lengthy argument about whether Superman or Batman would win in a fight.
  • Jagganoth cannot be defeated by any conventional means, so Alison realizes that she will have to defeat him through the directed application of slam poetry. She begins a year-long apprenticeship the preserved severed head of Leonardo da Vinci, who instructs her in this art, and the comic switches focus to her previously-unrevealed daughter until she's completed her training.
  • Spider cannons.
  • Alison's multicultural roommate squad turns out to be a group of magical girls. They'd been hoping Alison would eventually join them but once she does, they find her new look, her tendency to giggle to herself, and the fact that her new motto is "reach heaven through violence" a bit disturbing. Eventually she is voted off the team, but they give her a lovely watch to remember them by. Later, it is eaten by a dog.
  • Cio, White Chain, and Alison can't decide whether "Sixie" or "Killbillion" is a better nickname for her. They have a calm, philosophical discussion about this for twenty pages. Somehow these are the best twenty pages of the entire comic, or in fact of any comic ever.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Will Allison use that bigass loving zweihander or will she use a chump psychic blade like a nerd?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm not sure Allison actually needs a sword, but she'll probably come to very much like the idea of a sword.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 26, 2016

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
Wild speculation:

• Zoss' unconquered world is Alison's; Zaid is his biological heir, but not the heir to his Kingdom.
  • Being impervious to harm does not make Jagganoth impervious to being thrown bodily off the wheel in an extremely metal two-page spread.

Operant posted:

Incubus. I don't know how much we'll get to see of his but the little I plan to show should get the point across.
  • Everyone in Incubus's Domain is Incubus.

Question:

What does the white hot Fire of Will look like in motion? Ages ago I started trying to make a gif out of Zoss' stand against the Prime Angels, but I couldn't get his blade to look right.

Is it more like lightning, fire, or liquid, or what?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Archenteron posted:

If there's ever going to be an animated short this is what it should be about.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Jagganoth will be defeated by someone, possibly Allison, gaslighting him so hard that he believes he actually destroyed all life in the multi-verse already (really everyone just hides when he comes around). Thus believing his mission to be complete, one of two things will happen. He will undo what allows him to be immortal in order to finish the job, thus allowing either his suicide or for Allison to pull a totally sick decapitation move. Or he won't be able to remove his invulnerability, he'll despair that his mission can never be completed, and everyone comes out to laugh at him for being such a dumb angsty loser.

Then we'll be treated to a full page spread of all the characters enjoying assorted cakes and teas while discussing Baroque artwork.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

paragon1 posted:

Then we'll be treated to a full page spread of all the characters enjoying assorted cakes and teas while discussing Baroque artwork.

That sounds a lot like Mottom's parties.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

paragon1 posted:

And bannisters. Lots of bannisters.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Archenteron posted:

Is the story of Aesma's dog somehow related to the story of how Aesma created humans

Is the first human an amazingly ill-fated attempt at making a dog

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Operant posted:

How planned out is the story? Do you know how it'll end and how you'll get there? Or will this story end up being finished by tv execs like Game of Thrones?

A game of YISUN.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Old Man Mozz posted:

Seriously.

This is how I love this comic: I try to keep myself from mashing updates on most narrative driven webcomics or manga. I find it maddening. I tell myself I'm going to shelve K6BD for a couple months at a time... But I can't do it. I'm back to f5ing the webcomic around every possible update time.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Spiderdrake posted:

Seriously.

This is how I love this comic: I try to keep myself from mashing updates on most narrative driven webcomics or manga. I find it maddening. I tell myself I'm going to shelve K6BD for a couple months at a time... But I can't do it. I'm back to f5ing the webcomic around every possible update time.

You and me both!

There are no rivals to this for me as far as webcomics are concerned.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gunnerkrigg Court is the only other comic I read that matches this in story and art.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
What is your favorite kung fu thing

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Demiurge4 posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court is the only other comic I read that matches this in story and art.

That and Stand Still, Stay Silent are definitely my runner-ups. K6BD just speaks to me on so many levels that I can't rank anything next to it though :v:

Also Necropolis looks incredibly amazing but there isn't too much of it yet and the update schedule doesn't seem to exist

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

JT Jag posted:

Is the first human an amazingly ill-fated attempt at making a dog

Think of all the different types of dogs we've made over the years. Be more optimistic.

The first human was an amazingly successful attempt at a dog that makes dogs!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't have anything to ask, but I did want to tell you your comic is rad and I bet you're a cool dude.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Who What Now posted:

I don't have anything to ask, but I did want to tell you your comic is rad and I bet you're a cool dude.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Your comic is rad.

So how did you get your comic published at Image? Who approached who?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Demiurge4 posted:

DarkCrawler posted:

That and Stand Still, Stay Silent are definitely my runner-ups. K6BD just speaks to me on so many levels that I can't rank anything next to it though :v:

Also Necropolis looks incredibly amazing but there isn't too much of it yet and the update schedule doesn't seem to exist

I'd rank Poppy O Possum up there myself

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

The Lord of Hats posted:

So if you were approached with an offer for a K6BD animated series, do you think you'd instead try a different story in the same universe, or would you want to try something else entirely?

Do any of the demiurges have a domain that's actually relatively nice?

My own bias is really obvious, but do you have a favorite Pursuer?

I think things would work really well as like a 10-20min short just set in the same universe if there were people insane enough to animate the dumb way I draw comics (which is already way more time consuming than necessary).

I'd say the demiurges all rule places that are more or less ok to live in. They're kings that rule insane amounts of territory, and I like to imagine most of them rule by proxy or vassalage. That said, I think Solomon's political structure is probably the most total and also the most stable, he's got a sort of roman empire thing going on with citizenship and (theoretical) voting rights.

The giant baby is my favorite.

Archenteron posted:

Apocron posted:

Hey Operant, cool comic!

Could you share a bit about the writing process? Your world seems so eclectic and chaotic that it must be hard to keep everything balanced. Do you have an outline for how the whole plot will play out and you're filling it in?

To answer the first question, I hope so, but I can't say for sure. I'm not going to force any stories out that I don't think have a good context and meaning to them though, that's sort of how these things crop up. To answer the second, my writing process was sort of iterative to start. I think for the first 10-15 pages of the comic I didn't have a firm grip of where Allison was going and what the general arc of the story was going to be. I realized pretty quickly this is a good way for your comic to turn into Homestuck (not to rag on homestuck too much though, it gets a lot of hate already).

I sat down about two years ago and wrote out the general story map of the entire story. Then I went in to particular chapters and wrote out scene maps, dialogue, or cool moments that I think need to occur. What each character is sort of about and what their character arc should be. Allison in particular was kind of tough since she's sort of a cipher for the audience but I hope I've imbued her with a little bit of pathos by now. Cio and White Chain have much clearer arcs and conflicts that I think are easier to get into. If I could do anything over, I would probably establish a clearer and stronger character arc for Allison from the get go, but alas I don't have infinite time or the desire to re-do pages I finished 2 years ago.

So do know generally how things are going for the main arcs down the road (we have a heist arc next, followed by a kung-fu tournament arc, I hope), and scene maps for stuff a little closer (pretty soon Allison cuts her hair, Cio talks about her past), but I don't like to keep things super tight and rigid because sometimes moments crop up that just fit during the natural process of writing. For example, Allison originally wasn't going to destroy the evil tree that Mottom's husband became. But as soon as I drew the page when it appears, I knew instantaneously that she had to destroy it, and it would be an important character moment.

paragon1 posted:

What counts as a demon?

I mean I hate using this term because people get confused as hell about it but in my view it's good general term for a force of evil.

SunAndSpring posted:

Will Allison use that bigass loving zweihander or will she use a chump psychic blade like a nerd?

She gets better with the sword. This will make her a poor swordsman.

Cryophage posted:

Question:

What does the white hot Fire of Will look like in motion? Ages ago I started trying to make a gif out of Zoss' stand against the Prime Angels, but I couldn't get his blade to look right.

Is it more like lightning, fire, or liquid, or what?
I imagine it a little like lightning, a little like fire. Zoss is basically a thunder god in practice, he's pulling on all the old tropes from Proto-Indo European old beardy sky gods who throw lightning around.

Demiurge4 posted:

I love GK. I have to read it in spurts though.

VanSandman posted:

What is your favorite kung fu thing
1970s Shaw Brothers kung fu movies. They're weird, and bad, but the good kind of bad (at least for me). Some people can't tolerate them. If you ever want to watch some just insane, hilarious, and awesome poo poo go watch Shaolin Drunkards or The Miracle Fighters. It's old weird chinese wuxia poo poo, basically low-budget chinese fantasy movies, but the action is just so off the wall and creative that it's super fun to watch. There's a guy who plays a flute to tame a giant toad and puppet kung-fu in at least one of those movies.

quote:

"IUG" post="462514932"]

So how did you get your comic published at Image? Who approached who?
Image actually approached me about it after a few of the Image guys read my comic (heard about it through Osmosis basically) chief among them being Brandon Graham who is just a kickass incredible dude without whom I would be lost in the woods. I think this is the best way to get any comic work published actually - have a body of work and an audience (whether through a webcomic, kickstarter publishing, or just having a popular social media art profile), and then approach publishers who've already heard of you.

Thanks for the support you amazing handsome nerds.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Operant posted:

followed by a kung-fu tournament arc

I mean... we all knew. But getting it confirmed...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Is Princess ever going to show up in any major capacity again?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

From what we've been told already, as of this moment, Jagganoth's victory over his fellow demiurges is certain. There are now only five to oppose him instead of the six who could have held him off. He is going to win. The question is how long it will take him.

To THAT question, the answer is currently "oh, a couple thousand years. but it'll happen."

We can safely expect Allison to continue shortening that timeframe.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Operant posted:

Which of of poll options did you pick????

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Operant posted:

[...] we have a heist arc next

And we already know that the next arc is related to devils and devil "civilization", which means... more Oskar/Dhuutholmel demon pirate hell pimp time :neckbeard:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SunAndSpring posted:

Why "or"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
One in each hand and a third that kinda floats around and indiscriminately stabs folk.