Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Megasabin posted:

1. How do you prevent annoying bullshit like this:
You put your army in range of an enemy city/stack with the plan to attack next turn. It goes to their turn, and they pull an additional stack out of the fog of war. You get attacked by the new army (reinforced by the original stack) forcing you to retreat, and then the original stack (reinforced by the new one) attacks you again, pinning you in place for a 2v1. Just always wander around with 2+ stacks?

Ambush stance.

EDIT: Try to end your turn in ambush stance whenever you plan to be marching on an enemy. Guaranteed to improve your successfulness by 90%! If you're Chaos you'll have to be basically reliant on good agent intel/being way stronger than the enemy though.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It'd be cool if those chaos corruption shrine thingies gave you vision or some other benefit.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

It'd be cool if those chaos corruption shrine thingies gave you vision or some other benefit.

I want them to occasionally poo poo out demon armies that are insanely aggressive but can't be coordinated with to give you a sort of soft area control of conquered territory.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If you could left click your movement bar and "lock" it so you couldn't go below the notch unless you removed it, that would be cool. Not really super useful but would help in fiddly situations were I want to camp every turn

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

Ambush stance.

EDIT: Try to end your turn in ambush stance whenever you plan to be marching on an enemy. Guaranteed to improve your successfulness by 90%! If you're Chaos you'll have to be basically reliant on good agent intel/being way stronger than the enemy though.

Ambush stance changed my life. Even if they don't walk up into it, it puts a stop to the AI's 'every-army-10-feet-outside-of-your-movement-range-LOL' bullshit.

It's kind of goofy that having a stack sitting just outside of your city in Ambush stance is WAY more effective defense than having them manning the battlements roughly 100% of the time.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I had no plan to buy the new DLC until I saw the Cygore. I'm now wavering on it.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

GMG discount brings you to $14.99 if anyone is desperate to save a few bucks. It's automatically applied. You need to have an account though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Avasculous posted:

Ambush stance changed my life. Even if they don't walk up into it, it puts a stop to the AI's 'every-army-10-feet-outside-of-your-movement-range-LOL' bullshit.

It's kind of goofy that having a stack sitting just outside of your city in Ambush stance is WAY more effective defense than having them manning the battlements roughly 100% of the time.

It's a better defence if and only if you expect to defeat any attacker. If you can't win though, or the enemy is attacking with multiple stacks to your one and they've seen you, you could be in some deep poo poo...

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So for that Kislev mod were the assets for the cossack robes and hat already in the game files?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Aurubin posted:

So for that Kislev mod were the assets for the cossack robes and hat already in the game files?

Assuming you mean this one, it definitely took me a second but I think those are Bretonnian Men-at-Arms helmets with a very convincing texture applied.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, at the moment all mods are locked to using models from the game files. From what I can remember CA did say they'd release more of the assembly kit later--at the very least the part that lets you make your own battlefields was an example--but at the moment all we have access to is the tool for database editing.

Some people think they'll never release the tool for model editing, but personally I think it'll be out eventually, near the end of the game's product life-cycle after all of the expansions and DLC are out. Any other way would probably hurt both them and the modding community, with some modders racing to beat them to each DLC or expansion with their own stuff for each race. They like their modding community, but they like them adding value different than what they provide rather than racing them to providing the same exact thing only for free and full of spite.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Yeah I kinda assumed the shrines in razed towns would at least give off passive corruption but they don't even do that - it's just the basic 'Chaos Invasion' event slowly ticking over. Aggressive demon spawns would be the tops really

I'm sure they'll come up with something different as beastmen will be able to drop a +100 chaos corruption bomb whenever they raze a town

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wish that the dwarves could sweep back through the northern bits after chaos and just knock over the big spire building things.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Does anyone know (or remember from previous games) what will happen to my current campaign when the beastmen get ported in? Will it just continue without them or will it get broken?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Krazyface posted:

Does anyone know (or remember from previous games) what will happen to my current campaign when the beastmen get ported in? Will it just continue without them or will it get broken?

Beastmen are hordes with no settlements or any other major changes to the campaign map, I'd bet previous saves will just continue status quo with no beastmen ever having spawned in the world. That or you will need to disable the DLC to continue playing older saves.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How does building poop towers work when orcs sack?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Baron Porkface posted:

How does building poop towers work when orcs sack?

It's a random chance to happen as far as I know.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/757878345333743616

:3:

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
When will we get patch notes? Today or tomorrow?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Will it be Warhammer Time Commanders?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
We all remember how Hannibal won at Cannae by sniping the Roman General with Spirit Leech.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I hope they bring back Dr. Nusbacher

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

WMain00 posted:

Will it be Warhammer Time Commanders?

Once more unto the breach, boyz!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER_Update_2

Patch notes up.

Sounds like magic got a huge, largely unspecified overhaul.

Dragon Ogres and Shaggoths, (And Kholek) have been tweaked to be anti-large.

Artillery mostly buffed in general.

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 26, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

quote:

Sigvald will no longer bleed when the Blood Effects are enabled

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

quote:

Horde factions that have been wiped out now have a cooldown period before they can respawn

Oh thank christ.

The unit balancing seems good there, glad that they've got their fingers reasonably on the pulse.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

quote:

Some characters and units now have a 'Siege Attacker' trait. Armies containing such characters and units may attack a city immediately without building siege equipment. The following all bear this trait:

Kholek Suneater
Lord of Change
Dragon Ogre Shaggoth
Gorebull
Cygor
Minotaurs (all variants)
Bretonnian Field Trebuchet
Hellcannon
Giants (all variants)
Cannon
Flame Cannon
Grudge Thrower
Organ Gun
Great Cannon
Helblaster Volley gun
Helstorm Rocket Battery
Mortar
Luminark of Hysh
Steam Tank
Doom Diver Catapult
Goblin Rock Lobber
Arachnarok Spider
Varghulf

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

These patches look good, though between the beastmen and the buffs to Chosen/nerfs to demigriffs, it's gonna be a nasty day for the Empire.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Deified Data posted:

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk2fXsnzirI

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

It's a better defence if and only if you expect to defeat any attacker. If you can't win though, or the enemy is attacking with multiple stacks to your one and they've seen you, you could be in some deep poo poo...

This is true, but unlike garrisoning, ambush stance lets you retreat. If you do it near the edge of the AI's movement or on the far side of a city from AI stacks, your army is perfectly safe even if it's spotted and dogpiled.

Conversely, if the army gets attacked while garrisoned, it will be trapped by a siege and will either have to attack to get out or wait for reinforcements while the AI builds 15 towers (which it would also do against an empty city). Either way, you're still fighting outside of the walls and against all AI stacks when you do attack- the worst case scenario of ambush stance.

I think literally the only advantage of garrisoning over ambush stance next to the city is the public order bonus.

I think it's more quirky than a huge balance problem, but if they wanted it to be 'fairer', ambush stance should probably either disallow reinforcements for the ambusher, or not permit you to retreat if you get spotted, so that there's at least some risk/tradeoff to it.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Looks like a real good balance patch, will be intressting to see how it all plays out in MP with the changes as well as the addition of Beastmen.

Got the Beastmen DLC already pre ordered and I have to admit I'm real excited to start up a campaign with them first thing patch hits on thursday.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah it looks like a bunch of changes to help Dwarfs be more viable in MP. With spear/shield infantry mass increased overall and Dwarf mass increased above that they seem even less vulnerable to cavalry charges. Meanwhile I hope the hit Slayers took to their speed isn't too bad, I started using them more often now that they're 1-turn recruitable.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Deified Data posted:

It should be a random chance. It triggers, Sig goes BERSERK.(You've defiled his beauty!) Or he just leaves the battlefield to touch himself up. Maybe healing him could stop this? But then, most of his healing is regen, isn't it?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

The only thing I remember of this dumb show was when they were talking with one of the designers and the conversation went along the lines of "We strive for historical accuracy, which is why someone with a sword hits for 4 and a axe hits for 5"

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 26, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

Some notable changes include UI scaling for high-resolution displays,

yes, Yes, YES, YES!

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Choyi posted:

Looks like a real good balance patch, will be intressting to see how it all plays out in MP with the changes as well as the addition of Beastmen.

Got the Beastmen DLC already pre ordered and I have to admit I'm real excited to start up a campaign with them first thing patch hits on thursday.

My suspicion looking at this is that orcs are looking like they'll be insane after the patch. The changes to chaos could potentially make them viable, the stats on the chosen are potentially going to be so insane that them costing a million points may not matter.

Orcs didn't need buffs as they were solidly top three and they could handle pretty much any comp, not to mention the spammy nature of them was already extremely oppressive in multiplayer, large orc armies are extremely tough. This change might push orcs over the edge to top depending on what those changes in cost actually are.

If the bonus vs. large on the dragon ogres is large enough, chaos may be able to beat other factions without having to waste a ton of points on halberds to clear out their back lines.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 26, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

yes, Yes, YES, YES!

:circlefap::hf::circlefap:

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Black coach gets no love. I'm a sad panda.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The only thing I remember of this dumb show was when they were talking with one of the designers and the conversation went along the lines of "We strive for historical accuracy, which is why someone with a sword hits for 4 and a axe hits for 5"

I watched a Lindybeige episode where he was talking about Time Commanders and went berserk when someone mentioned units of berserkers fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I want there to be an episode in Arena where they're recreating some 30 Years War battle, the lieutenant runs in yelling something like "We've experienced a massive Chrono-wave in the timeportal!" and then Grimgor shows up to krump both sides at once.

e: Or better yet they announce an episode for Cortez versus the Aztecs and Lizardmen show up instead.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 26, 2016

• Locked thread