Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Replaced the tatsumaki cameo with a Puri Prisoner one. Acceptable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Everything about this show's visual style is loving fantastic

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The oil painting animation stuff is out of this world

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

My biggest problem with this show is that all my friends I showed the anime to got impatient for more of it and went and read the manga :saddowns: where am I meant to get my hilarious shocked live reactions now?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beekeeping and You posted:

My biggest problem with this show is that all my friends I showed the anime to got impatient for more of it and went and read the manga :saddowns: where am I meant to get my hilarious shocked live reactions now?

The product works!

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
Add me to the 'animé watcher who expected the whole mob meter thing to be a season-long buildup'

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/757630674916573184

I love this adaptation

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGdWCl0rNQ

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The soundtrack reminds me of the Patlabor TV show ost for some reason.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Same composer, Kenji Kawai. Also the same composer of the Ghost in the Shell movies.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's gotten played every episode so maybe it'll get tiring, but the one wailing track used whenever Mob does anything big and psychic is the best.

Also here's the comic version of 100% Anger Mob

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
sick double post, you doofus

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Moltrey posted:

It's gotten played every episode so maybe it'll get tiring, but the one wailing track used whenever Mob does anything big and psychic is the best.

Also here's the comic version of 100% Anger Mob

I do wish they had the kanji in the anime

I mean the character intros have some so doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

El Burbo posted:

I do wish they had the kanji in the anime

I mean the character intros have some so doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

yeah, thats my only gripe with the ep. the emotion pages are great

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Moltrey posted:

eeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeEEEEEEeeeeEEEeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEE

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
:16 - :22 is my loving poo poo

and yeah I was a touched disappointed that ANGER didn't a big flashy kanji since the emotions are p. important, but o well

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I saw crunchyroll advertising this and decided to try it, the first three episodes were pretty fun. I'm vaguely aware of ONE but I only briefly looked at his original OPM stuff and obviously I've seen and read the Murata OPM adaption. I really like the art difference between the real world and what the evil spirits look like.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just watched this too and it's filling the OPM-sized hole in my heart. It has so much style, and I'm digging Mob being the all-powerful force that doesn't GET how powerful it is as opposed to Saitama's all-powerful force that no one ELSE gets how powerful it is. I was also expecting the "explosion" to be a bigger event, at least a mid-season thing in terms of pacing, but I guess it establishes that the poor guy is repressed as gently caress. Also Reigen is amazing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I thought the explosion was going to be much later and that the opening scene was a flashforward, though that still may be the case. Considering what other people in the thread are getting at it seems like he might have a variety of emotion based explosions. ONE definitely likes to work with certain themes and elements so Mob is pretty different to OPM in significant ways but also nicely familiar.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can we trade this thread to YLLS at Christmas

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

raocow posted:

Add me to the 'animé watcher who expected the whole mob meter thing to be a season-long buildup'

:same: I was watching it with a friend and we both lost our collective poo poo when it started increasing every few seconds and we realized what was about to go down.

Reigen is a character that would normally aggravate me a lot but his powerful poses, legit skill when he puts actual effort into things (he'd probably make more money just being a masseuse tbh) and the way he seems to actually care for Mob have all gone a long way to endear him to me. The scene where he and the Telepathy Club girl called each other out on their respective cons was gold.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hello I am posting in this thread to say this show is extremely cool and good and absolutely my poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
I was also pretty surprised when he hit 100%, then I thought it probably was hinted with how the OP is a loop that goes through the numbers and that owns.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My idiot friends who would rather watch like konosuba or w/e were pretty skeptical for the first two eps, though the Body Improvement Club got a good laugh out of them. But this episode was hype enough to get their attention, and funny enough that they were rolling at all the gags and character moments sprinkled around the episode.

I don't think they expected 100% either but this episode was all about setting up and demonstrating the core premise of the series. The flashback sequence explaining Mob's emotions was also more emotionally (heh) than they expected.

This is the kind of show the three episode test was made for.

You'd think with the blind faith some people have in Urobuchi as a writer, more people would give ONE a chance after they liked OPM.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I kinda wish there was no narration during the hitting 100% part

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I was also pretty surprised when he hit 100%, then I thought it probably was hinted with how the OP is a loop that goes through the numbers and that owns.

I'm excited for the full version of the OP that goes all the way from 1 to 99.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Terper posted:

I kinda wish there was no narration during the hitting 100% part

Same. I loving hate that thing in anime. Either work the explanation into the story, or just don't loving do it. It's a psychic teenager with emotional issues who flipped out, I don't need anything else to understand what's going on.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The visuals were really good, just have the kanji for RAGE pop out of him at the end and nothing else was needed

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The narration is verbatim from the manga, it is weird that they used that narration but not the kanji

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I feel the opposite of "loving hate" about the narration, I actually thought it gave the flashback a wistful and classic feel. MP100 is very much a coming of age story and even in the US there's a lot of precedent for coming of age stories having a narrator who serves as a storyteller.

A Christmas Story, Wonder Years, Pete & Pete.

In PV3 the end of the promo vid even had the narrator speak, set to bittersweet and nostalgic-sounding music. The entire flashback narration was just as bittersweet and melancholy and it worked. It absolutely succeeding in setting a tone, one that Mob's explosion shatters for sheer, raw impact. Or "hype" as we call it these days.

The narration didn't intrude in the fight, it didn't interrupt Reigen's moment to be a good mentor, and if you'd removed the narration from the flashback and expository scene you'd be left with a series of abstract visualizations. Mob's explosion was absolutely well-served by having that narrated moment building up to it. You didn't necessarily need it to understand what was going on but directing a scene is at least as much art as science, and the scenes leading up to, during, and after Mob's explosions were artfully done.

If you want to see what happens when you remove the narration, either mute the video during that scene or skip eight from Mob getting dogpiled to the point where his eyes start glowing, and try to read how the scene feels when that happens. If the lack of a calm before the storm does the scene justice.

tldr the gently caress you on about nerds

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Im 100% cinematographic rn

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Im 100% cinema discusso rn

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

how dare you

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Putting in the narration now means we won't need it during the next 100% event. We're still in the set-up phase of the story and I think it is very important that they took the time to make it completely clear exactly what Mob's explosion meter is. I think every person I've watched this show with who didn't read the manga guessed incorrectly about what the explosion meter was counting up to. Everyone knew it was something bad, but everyone also assumed it'd be like, an anxiety attack, a panic attack, something related to stress, or an emotional breakdown.

But that's not what it is (although emotional breakdown is kinda close). The meter represents Mob bottling up every emotion and letting none of them control him, but that's not something humans can do. Bottling doesn't work. You need to vent, or else you're going to explode. It's counting up to Mob letting an emotion out of its cage, and letting that emotion control him. It isn't stress or panic or danger. It's just an emotional overflow.

This time, it was Rage, and this time, it came at a convenient time. That will not always be the case, and it's important that they establish that now rather than later.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Dias posted:

I just watched this too and it's filling the OPM-sized hole in my heart. It has so much style, and I'm digging Mob being the all-powerful force that doesn't GET how powerful it is as opposed to Saitama's all-powerful force that no one ELSE gets how powerful it is. I was also expecting the "explosion" to be a bigger event, at least a mid-season thing in terms of pacing, but I guess it establishes that the poor guy is repressed as gently caress. Also Reigen is amazing.

im pretty sure mob gets how powerful he is, he just doesnt really care

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mob also doesn't like how strong he is. Not in a Saitama way where he's bored by it, but dislikes it to the point where he goes out of his way to not use his powers, and feels like they hold him back from what he wants.

Mob is cool, I hope he'll be okay.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Terror Sweat posted:

im pretty sure mob gets how powerful he is, he just doesnt really care

Like, I can only speculate on poo poo from these three episodes, so maybe I'm wrong, and also "getting" might not have been the best choice of words. It feels more like he TRIES not to realize how strong he is, so far. Moltrey has the right idea, but he also seems to "accept" Reigen's tutelage although he feels something's off there. It's like a classic hero permanently stuck in the "refusal of the call" part of the cycle, hehe. He just wants to be buff and smash anime poon, but he's stuck with these dumb powers.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

and if you'd removed the narration from the flashback and expository scene you'd be left with a series of abstract visualizations. Mob's explosion was absolutely well-served by having that narrated moment building up to it. You didn't necessarily need it to understand what was going on but directing a scene is at least as much art as science, and the scenes leading up to, during, and after Mob's explosions were artfully done.

If you want to see what happens when you remove the narration, either mute the video during that scene or skip eight from Mob getting dogpiled to the point where his eyes start glowing, and try to read how the scene feels when that happens. If the lack of a calm before the storm does the scene justice.

But the abstract visuals themselves (and the accompanying music) made a perfect job of spelling out what was happening, you didn't need the narration to spell it out. The music and sound effects perfectly sold the "calm before the storm" and Mob telling Dimple "This is what happens when I show my emotions" would clear up any questions. You have Mob fixating on "Get a clue", showing all these scenes as the colors are drained or emphasized, the words for all of his emotions first being free but then all being caught inside him and storming about while the counter goes higher and higher and louder and louder until finally it reaches 100. Just add the RAGE kanji and there ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I feel the opposite of "loving hate" about the narration, I actually thought it gave the flashback a wistful and classic feel. MP100 is very much a coming of age story and even in the US there's a lot of precedent for coming of age stories having a narrator who serves as a storyteller.

A Christmas Story, Wonder Years, Pete & Pete.

In PV3 the end of the promo vid even had the narrator speak, set to bittersweet and nostalgic-sounding music. The entire flashback narration was just as bittersweet and melancholy and it worked. It absolutely succeeding in setting a tone, one that Mob's explosion shatters for sheer, raw impact. Or "hype" as we call it these days.

The narration didn't intrude in the fight, it didn't interrupt Reigen's moment to be a good mentor, and if you'd removed the narration from the flashback and expository scene you'd be left with a series of abstract visualizations. Mob's explosion was absolutely well-served by having that narrated moment building up to it. You didn't necessarily need it to understand what was going on but directing a scene is at least as much art as science, and the scenes leading up to, during, and after Mob's explosions were artfully done.

tldr the gently caress you on about nerds

Hey man, nice words about narrators there, but sometimes the Mob narrator sounds like your weeaboo friend who gets you to watch his favorite anime with him, and he just has to recite things from the show's wikia page now and then to make sure that your dumb normie brain can understand what's going on.

e: I mean, OPM was not that great on exposition either, but in that story/world the only things that needed explaining were "Why is that dude literally a car" and the answer was "because he loving LOVED CARS SO MUCH" and having that delivered by car-dude was just hilarious.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 1, 2016

• Locked thread