Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mario was hung on a cross tilted 45 degrees, because he did not believe himself worthy of being hung the same way as the savior. But only a little bit not worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Here we go, rumor mill! Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers. It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

raditts posted:

This was gonna be my guess, it's not a good name but Nintendo hasn't been into giving good names to their products for a while now.

Where is the Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System (UNES) Maybe Mega NES before that but Nintendo should have just xNES thing going. It would get confusing for an uniformed consumer sure but no more than wii -> wiiU Next console should be the NES7.

ooo it takes gameboy carts! I have several of them still!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

so basically more under-powered graphics, complicated gimmicks and no third party support. great job Nintendo. have fun trying to do what Nvidia shield Couldn't.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Exclusive picture of the prototype:

(not actual prototype)

Eurogamer may have jumped too ahead to get this "exclusive reveal" that may turn out to be entirely wrong, but it's looking like this might be it. Between Nvidia's Tegra and rumors that it wouldn't be as powerful as the PS4 (try to miniaturize one of those into a handheld) and the fact Japan's home console market is entirely dead, it's not entirely surprising.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sounds pretty awesome.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hidden in plain sight?? Fits the bill, at least.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

It's a good idea! When we played Majora's Mask Remastered on 3DS I spent a while googling ways to get the top screen to output to a television, because that would have ruled.

Also, this basically confirms that we'll finally get to play a "real" pokemon game on the big screen, on a console with presumably ps4-level power. They probably should have coordinated with the nintendo company to make that a launch title because if they launched with a new pokemon AND a new zelda that would be pretty tempting.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

It's a good idea! When we played Majora's Mask Remastered on 3DS I spent a while googling ways to get the top screen to output to a television, because that would have ruled.

And I've spent a lot of time thinking that I would play my Wii U a lot more if I could actually take my gamepad more than a room away from the console.... so I'm hoping that the fact that it's a full-blown handheld is true.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Polo-Rican posted:

on a console with presumably ps4-level power.

lol it wont be able to play WiiU games let alone PS4, the tegra chip is way too underpowered for that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

lol it wont be able to play WiiU games let alone PS4, the tegra chip is way too underpowered for that.

Wasn't there a patent that Nintendo had recently about daisy-chaining processors?

This one.

It obviously can handle Wii U games, since Breath of the Wild is going to be on NX, along with all of the other stuff they've said they're porting. So maybe this patent will be relevant.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 26, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Assuming this is true, it kinda makes sense on a strategic level. There's no need to try and compete with a PS4 or PC. This is fully embracing the "we're the other guys" mentality by becoming, essentially, the mobile focused company without having to entirely abandon the home. No more division of labor between handheld and console. I could see this move working out. It may not outsell the other guys, but pop out one of those fully 3d HD Pokemon games people have been clamoring for since time forever and you've got a money factory.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's not as powerful as a PS4, but it's more powerful than a Wii U which is pretty compelling.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also finally development will not be split between two consoles. You take their output across two consoles and combined it, you get as ton of games. Even more if you eliminate redundant games, opening up development for more new games.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

greatn posted:

Also finally development will not be split between two consoles. You take their output across two consoles and combined it, you get as ton of games. Even more if you eliminate redundant games, opening up development for more new games.

Yeah, this is a pretty huge deal. Not having to make, for example, a handheld Mario Kart and a home console Mario Kart is going to save up a lot of development resources.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Tegra X1 (2015) is superior to the GPUs of the X360, PS3, and Wii U. The X2 (2016/2017) will be slightly more powerful than that and using Vulcan. Even if they underclock the X2 for energy saving, the NX handheld will still be vastly superior to the older consoles. And portable.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
RIP Nintendo

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
My dream console that marries home and portable is finally becoming a reality

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Tegra X1 (2015) is superior to the GPUs of the X360, PS3, and Wii U.

One of these things is not like the others...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Jumpingmanjim posted:

RIP Nintendo

Yeah, as we know, Nintendo handhelds normally sell awfully.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I find this to be a brilliant move because as a tired rear end dad gamer, my favorite thing about Wii U was taking the controller into the bedroom and playing for a bit at the end of the night versus sitting on my couch. I also have time during my daily commute and lunch break and play from time to time, so having it (instead of my 3DS which is getting long in the tooth) will be great.

I like my PS4 and PC ok as well, but I love everything about this latest NX rumor. I really hope its true. Having a hand held system with next gen console graphics and the availability to hook to the TV is basically my dream system currently.

Animal Crossing and Pokemon gonna own.

And yes as others have said, by letting Nintendo focus all of their development studios now onto one system that's a huge deal. Even if third parties balk there should still be a steady stream of quality first party stuff.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Honestly, this is pretty fantastic for my purposes.

And yeah, if this is the yet-to-come Tegra X2 with it running throttled back undocked for battery life and full power docked, it would be a substantial upgrade from Wii U. Hell, even if they keep the X1 it'd be ~50% stronger than the Wii U right there, and the X2 should be a substantial upgrade.

What I wonder is how much RAM they can stick onto this thing.

Also, I guess, whether or not handheld means what it used to. It could be that the NX is portable like a tablet is and isn't a pocket device.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I find this to be a brilliant move because as a tired rear end dad gamer, my favorite thing about Wii U was taking the controller into the bedroom and playing for a bit at the end of the night versus sitting on my couch. I also have time during my daily commute and lunch break and play from time to time, so having it (instead of my 3DS which is getting long in the tooth) will be great.

I like my PS4 and PC ok as well, but I love everything about this latest NX rumor. I really hope its true. Having a hand held system with next gen console graphics and the availability to hook to the TV is basically my dream system currently.

Animal Crossing and Pokemon gonna own.

And yes as others have said, by letting Nintendo focus all of their development studios now onto one system that's a huge deal. Even if third parties balk there should still be a steady stream of quality first party stuff.

The way to sell the NX is probably going to be marketing it as a DS successor that happens to be able to hook up to the TV instead of a Wii U successor that happens to be portable. Selling it as a handheld first will get people who already own a PS4/XB1 on board and prevent the whole "But I already have a home console!" thing that held the Wii U back.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Weird thing is didn't nintendo say that they are working on a Handheld codenamed MH?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

gently caress yeah Monster Hunter returns to the TV!!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nintendo wins, once again.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dexo posted:

The Weird thing is didn't nintendo say that they are working on a Handheld codenamed MH?

No, that was baseless speculation from speculators who randomly came up with it on the assumption that Nintendo has to be working on a handheld. Nintendo shareholder meetings have only ever mentioned the NX.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

So would the Tegra 2 be less powerful than the xbone? Everyone is comparing this to ps4 thinking about who has the best graphics, but Nintendo hitting or even just getting near the minimum for AAA graphics will be more important for getting ports.

I love this idea. A Nintendo handheld with graphics superior to the Wii u is like a dream. My biggest hope is that with extra processing power comes new virtual console emulation. The Wii could emulate an n64, maybe we can finally get GameCube emulation? And the wiiu had ds emulation, I wonder how far we are from 3ds emulation? A long long way, but I can hope...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The NX is going to save gaming.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
*sees a brand new nintendo handheld* oh my GOD this is gonna be so much win

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
How much ESRAM will it have?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The real NX are the friends we made along the way

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the makeup and power of this thing raises too many questions for me. I need their presentation with full specs and display before beginning what to think of this. Right now sounds like it could be a huge fuckup or a pretty decent success; WiiU level grafix for a quasi-handheld sounds fine to me but obviously game library matters too. Putting a new 2D metroid on this thing would go a long way.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

MinibarMatchman posted:

the makeup and power of this thing raises too many questions for me. I need their presentation with full specs and display before beginning what to think of this. Right now sounds like it could be a huge fuckup or a pretty decent success; WiiU level grafix for a quasi-handheld sounds fine to me but obviously game library matters too. Putting a new 2D metroid on this thing would go a long way.

the only thing i need to know is... splatoon 2? or get this: spla2oon???

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think we'll get those specs in September.

I just realized that this concept could play into their "SCD" patent, the one for supplementary computing devices to add power to the NX. What if there were different tiers of the docks you plug this thing into to turn it into console mode, with more RAM?

"Replace your NX dock for the Super NX Dock. Trade in for only $49.99!" sounds like it could work like the N64 Expansion Pak did once upon a time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The portability will be great for organizing Smash Bros torneys and meetups, especially if additional docks can be purchased on the cheap. Everyone will be able to bring setups and monitors will become the bottleneck instead.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Patter Song posted:

I think we'll get those specs in September.

I just realized that this concept could play into their "SCD" patent, the one for supplementary computing devices to add power to the NX. What if there were different tiers of the docks you plug this thing into to turn it into console mode, with more RAM?

"Replace your NX dock for the Super NX Dock. Trade in for only $49.99!" sounds like it could work like the N64 Expansion Pak did once upon a time.

The main mark against this idea is how different games would take advantage of the hardware, like how Perfect Dark/DK64 required (or mostly required) the RAM expansion port. Are mom and dad, grandma and grandpa, who aren't paying attention to any of this, going to know that the game they're about to buy isn't quite compatible with Jimmy-bob's 'Nintendo' at home?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Even if there are hardware upgrades, I expect all games will be compatible: they'll just run at 60fps/higher resolution or whatever - much like the PS4K etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the handheld component has a lower res screen (720p would be fine if it's small) and then it uses extra power from the docking station to output a higher resolution for TVs.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
So, unifying the next console and handheld hopefully means that the developers that have been comfortable creating games for the 3DS continue to do so on the NX, AND I have the option of playing these on an actual TV. Sounds like a winner to me! I just hope the ergonomics of the device fall in line with their controller design and not their handhelds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The main mark against this idea is how different games would take advantage of the hardware, like how Perfect Dark/DK64 required (or mostly required) the RAM expansion port. Are mom and dad, grandma and grandpa, who aren't paying attention to any of this, going to know that the game they're about to buy isn't quite compatible with Jimmy-bob's 'Nintendo' at home?

Console games are about to move into the PC type space of running at different FPS and fidelity levels anyway. If Devs already have to do the work to make a Xbone/PS4 mode, and a Scorpio/Neo mode. They are probably going to be working with a scalable fidelity/FPS model in mind in the first place.

• Locked thread