Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Whats in the list though? :ohdear:

Persons of Interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Splicer posted:

But doesn't do the actual burying, because ehhh...

The obol is an ancient tradition, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

"DEPRESSED DRAGONBORN DRUID FROM AN ISLAND THAT CAN'T BE REACHED BY BOAT WHO IS TRYING TO AVOID A PROPHECY"

"I was prophesized to bring honor and wealth to my island. I never told anyone I was leaving because they wouldn't care. I just can't find a job out here and none of the animals like me. I've got this terrible pain all along my left side and my joints creak."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

EAGER HUMAN ROGUE FROM AN ISOLATED MONASTERY WHO WAS TOLD THEY'LL NEVER BE GOOD ENOUGH

"Shut up, Brother Ignatius! I can too climb this wall! Just watch me! *sniffle""

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Caphi posted:

Hang on, you can roll a Lawful Good Criminal.

Annie are you okay?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

quote:

POMPOUS HALF-ELF WIZARD FROM A YOUNG OFFENDERS INSTITUTE WHO HAD THEIR LOST LEGS REPLACED WITH ENCHANTED WOOD

Look at the situation they got me facin'
I can't live a normal life, I was raised by the Thay
So I gotta be down with the Red team
Too much prestidigitation got me chasing dreams
I'm an educated fool with Electrum on my mind
Got my wand in my hand and a gleam in my eye
I'm a loc'd out Wizard set trippin' banger
And my party is down so don't arouse my anger, fool
Death ain't nothing but a bad roll away,
I'm living life, Revivify, what can I say
I'm Level 3 now, but will I live to see Level 4
The way things are going I don't know

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 26, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Random rolling can be great, the Reign random character generator is fun to use and just make up life stories.

D&D is not a good system for random rolling abilities. Roll the story elements, sure. Roll the motivations, the history, the plot hooks. The crunch? No.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

holy poo poo the beginning of princes of the apocalypse is soo bad

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

New thread title?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

It don't get much better!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

A Darker Porpoise posted:

It don't get much better!

I figured!

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

Did the kobolds kill you yet?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Monk E posted:

Did the kobolds kill you yet?

No, but the four stirges in the otherwise empty cave almost did.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The epic high fantasy of fighting mosquitoes and rats. In the mud.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Gort posted:

Where the fungus in the surrounding caverns is more fantastical than the players, no less.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Gort posted:

My character has regularly complained that "[she] is not an adventurer" and it's really turning out to be the case. The DM is taking the book as is and all four fights we've been in has seen at least one character barely escape death. The stirges almost killed three of us and one player is currently at 1 of 1 HP due to the ghost in some tomb.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

No, but the four stirges in the otherwise empty cave almost did.

My in-person group has come from Hoard (pile of poo poo) into princes, and jesus, it's a pile of poo poo. It's actually super incohesive too, or at least it is to me. Maybe I'm just dumb, but this whole section on the Mirabar trade delegation at the Level 3+ bit is such a hot mess.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Cat Face Joe posted:

My character has regularly complained that "[she] is not an adventurer" and it's really turning out to be the case. The DM is taking the book as is and all four fights we've been in has seen at least one character barely escape death. The stirges almost killed three of us and one player is currently at 1 of 1 HP due to the ghost in some tomb.

roguelike design :v:

How is Out of the Abyss, by the by?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I really liked it. You start off scrounging for every resource and work your way up to leading an army and loving up demon lords. Some people thought it was a bit on rails but it never felt that way to me until the end when there was very clearly a BBEG agenda we had to stop. It had way less wonky imbalanced fights than PotA and our DM said it was a lot easier to run. I'd like to run it sometime.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Terrible. What the gently caress, Zuggtmoy marrying Araumycos? :wtc:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Kaysette posted:

I really liked it. You start off scrounging for every resource and work your way up to leading an army and loving up demon lords. Some people thought it was a bit on rails but it never felt that way to me until the end when there was very clearly a BBEG agenda we had to stop. It had way less wonky imbalanced fights than PotA and our DM said it was a lot easier to run. I'd like to run it sometime.

I've now run this twice and I can definitely say it is the strongest of the first three adventures (haven't finished strahd so cant comment). This coming as a DM perspective it flows really well.
The two times I've run it I have sat down with the group and asked if they preferred to do it "the hard way" where they start with nothing but their characters and dont have a convenient box with all their starting gear, or whether they want the "vanilla" rpg start where they are captives but break out and get their stuff asap.
Both groups have selected the "hard" way and it's been a blast, at least for me, and seemingly the players.
If you are going to run it though, I definitely think laying down the expectations of the campaign first is the way to go, since it can be jarring to find out you get nothing of your starter gear (concessions were made to our one wizard to allow a spellbook to be found amongst the prison guard's spires)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Arivia posted:

Terrible. What the gently caress, Zuggtmoy marrying Araumycos? :wtc:

Well, Forgotten Realms is pretty stupid, yea

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kaysette posted:

Since I'm playing a skeleton necromancer I took tool proficiency 'butchery/corpsery', saying I'd worked in a morgue and butcher shop, in order to justify why I can rapidly turn corpses of enemies into a pile of bones worth raising as a skeleton.

It turns out this skill is also extremely useful for turning corpses of foes into delicious steak.

There's a lot of underground cave squid and darkmantle.
That's a lot of calamari the group have been eating.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Well, Forgotten Realms is pretty stupid, yea

Nope.

See, Araumycos was a giant dangling adventure hook for decades. A miles-wide giant fungus that's somehow psychic, home to colonies of myconids, vegepygmies, and other things, and continually expanding but only to the limits of the forest above it. It had mysterious ruins and mummies inside of it. What was going on with this thing? No single answer ever got printed, the idea was for the DM to do some cool stuff with it for their game.

But nope - let's just marry it off to a demon lord from another setting. Because that doesn't deflate the mystery at all.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Everyone that "hates" FR always turns out to know almost nothing about the setting. But of course theyve heard of Drizzt, Neverwinter, and Baldurs Gate so thats like "all of FR".

On a related note that comes up every few months, FR even solved the "kill all orc babies" dilemma that bad groups couldnt solve. The orc might not be evil. :ohdear:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Orc

quote:

No one knows from where orcs originally came, though they appear to be non-native to either Abeir or Toril. The first legends of orcs tell of the wars between their primary god Gruumsh and Corellon Larethian, the creator of the elves and eladrin. The latter two races tell of how Corellon defeated Gruumsh and took his eye; though many orcs deny this charge, they acknowledge Gruumsh as the one-eyed god.

However, in spite of this early conflict, orcs did not appear en masse until long after this. During the Days of Thunder when Abeir-Toril was yet united the first orcs were brought over to the world by the creator races, who built a portal in the Spine of the World mountain range that opened up to the home plane of the orcs. Through this portal the ancestors of the mountain orcs poured through and gradually migrated southwards.

Later, the Imaskari repeated the mistake of the creator races, opening up another portal through which the gray orcs, a variant subrace, appeared. This led to the Orcgate Wars during which Gruumsh and his allies slew most of the Untheric pantheon.[6] Eventually the portal was closed, though the new breed of orcs remained behind.

quote:

Mountain orcs
The most common orc subrace, as well as the first historically accounted for, mountain orcs can be found throughout most of Faerûn, which they travel through along mountain ranges descended from the Spine of the World in the far north.

Gray orcs
A less bestial and more civilized subrace of orcs brought to Faerûn during the Orcgate Wars through one of many Imaskari portals.

Orogs
A breed of orcs descended from mountain orcs who live mostly in the Underdark, though in recent years they have been returning to the surface in large numbers and taking over Mountain orc tribes, using their abilities to bully their 'lessers' and plan raids.

Ogrillons
The result of orcs breeding with ogres.

Ondontis
A pacifist cousin of the orc with a fey nature.

Thayan orcs
Magical hybrids of gray orcs, orogs and other creatures. Generally split into two groups, black (trained as scouts) and red (trained as elite shock troops)

Boogins
The result of mountain orcs breeding with quaggoths.

While not strictly subraces the result of a human and orc breeding is known as a half-orc while the offspring of a half-fiend and orc is a tanarukk.

quote:

Ondontis revere Eldath, the goddess of peace and quiet places, and their culture attempts to embody the pacifist teachings of Eldath. Ondonti oral history recounts that “the Founders” brought 30 young ondontis to the lands they still consider theirs long ago, and laid down the teachings that provide the foundations of ondonti society in a cycle of tales called Tarek-Passar (the Way of Peace). One sage has theorized the original ondontis were in fact infant gray orc orphans, brought from their lands and taught by a reclusive group of priests of Eldath. This is quite correct, although the full details lost to history are that they were raised in the faith of the Green Goddess by the people of Myth Ondath and left to their own devices when that city was destroyed by the Ice Queen and the Gatekeeper's Crystal.[2]

Ondontis are nearly the opposite of orcs: peaceful, kind, and dependable. To the ondontis, peace, harmony with one’s environment, and a full family life are what is important in life. Ondonti clerics are revered and their guidance is followed because of their majestic wisdom and close relationship to Eldath. Ondontis reproduce at the same rate as orcs, but have attained a longer lifespan than orcs (60 years) as a result of internal cultural harmony and applied curative divine magic. The mortality rate of infant ondontis is nearly zero, due to close monitoring of pregnant ondontis and infants by the clergy.

quote:

Gray orcs of the eastern lands are concentrated in the Moonsea and Endless Wastes, with a much smaller number scattered through the various lands that lie between. While just as mean, savage, and barbaric as their northern cousins, gray orcs lack their mountainous kin's drive to conquer and enslave. They are quite likely to react suddenly and irrationally to events, trusting to his heart and instincts more readily than logic.

Dwelling in remote, desolate corners of Northeast Faerûn, the nomadic gray orcs make out as much of a meager existence as they can, traveling along traditional migratory routes between campsites and favored caves as the seasons change. A typical gray orc tribe consists of 30 to 50 members, led by the strongest orc in the tribe, known as a chieftain. While responsible for deciding when to go to battle the position tends to be a temporary one at best as they are constantly being killed (either in battle or through treachery) and replaced.

Like theres plenty of ways to create hooks there without going straight for "dumb evil orcs to kill". Some extremely low-effort ones:

- Ondontis needs help to save unborn baby from sickness/curse/attention.

- Grey orcs will raid because they are starving, players can try and solve this by forging some kinds of deals to get them fed.

- Mixed orc tribe is being driven to war by Orogs. Somehow smart orcs get PCs to "deal with" Orogs in order to stop the war.

Also If you re-tune the Orcgate Wars history you also get a whole new pantheon ready to go:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Untheric_pantheon

FR is full of great things to grab and use. Its just a lot of words and no one digs through it anymore.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Everyone that "hates" FR always turns out to know almost nothing about the setting. But of course theyve heard of Drizzt, Neverwinter, and Baldurs Gate so thats like "all of FR".

FR is full of great things to grab and use. Its just a lot of words and no one digs through it anymore.

Haha, so you're going with "Obviously you geeks who know every esoteric out-of-print D&D book backwards and forwards and post about it on a dead gay forum don't read enough?"

Generally the kitchen sink element of Forgotten Realms is a large part of why people hate it, yes.

We're getting a Forgotten Realms movie at some point, I guess (probably on a budget of a nickel and a bet), so you'll get your day.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can sort of understand where Arivia is coming from where slapping together two things that don't make sense isn't really helping FR be any better, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure a movie set in the FR isn't going to give a rat's rear end about The Lore beyond the broadest of strokes.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
If you're going to talk poo poo about a fantasy kitchen sink setting for a fantasy kitchen sink game, FR is surprisingly not the worst offender. That would probably be Greyhawk, which was nominally the default setting until 4e.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Yo, I got a question. I'm a longtime DM, but just getting into 5e. One of my players really wants to play a dude with spirit animals. He's pretty sure it is a real class.

My bud posted:

The animals it self has a damage threshold or something like that and when he does it would take damage as well there was also spells you can cast through you spirit animal and stuff like that
The issue is that I have absolutely no idea what class that is, if it is a core class variant, if it even exists in 5e, and if not, the best way to go about fudging something that would work for him.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

That exactly describes the Shaman from 4e.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MadRhetoric posted:

If you're going to talk poo poo about a fantasy kitchen sink setting for a fantasy kitchen sink game, FR is surprisingly not the worst offender. That would probably be Greyhawk, which was nominally the default setting until 4e.

Basically all the "main" settings have been bad and the player base has been perennially starved of the settings that actually received a good response (not least because they bothered to have a coherent theme).

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

NachtSieger posted:

That exactly describes the Shaman from 4e.
Is there a good 5e version of it? There is one on the Dungeon Master's Guild.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Von Humboldt posted:

Yo, I got a question. I'm a longtime DM, but just getting into 5e. One of my players really wants to play a dude with spirit animals. He's pretty sure it is a real class.
The issue is that I have absolutely no idea what class that is, if it is a core class variant, if it even exists in 5e, and if not, the best way to go about fudging something that would work for him.

You could hack the Beastmaster Ranger to let your bud use spells with the pet as the focal point or you could make a Druid with an animal companion instead of Land spells/Wild Shape and do the same.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Von Humboldt posted:

Is there a good 5e version of it? There is one on the Dungeon Master's Guild.

5e with its touted "Theater of the Mind" is exactly the opposite of the Shaman's gimmick, which was having an animal buddy to be a proxy through. You could likely bash something with the Druid or Ranger, but to not just be an :effort: level hackjob you'll really need to implement custom abilities to really push the concept through (because spell ranges don't really matter, let's be honest) and at that point you'll just be making an extremely watered down 5e version of a 4e thing.

Also I can't speak for the quality of the already up Shaman, but cynicism leads me to say that it's likely bad.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

We're getting a [DnD] movie at some point, I guess
Based on the other two I would rather they fund the next 20 "The Gamers" for the same money as one failure-movie.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Von Humboldt posted:

The only spirit animal guy I know in 5e is this variant Ranger:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/ranger

But it doesn't really work the way you describe it though.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Ok, warlocks are OP as gently caress

In our current game, our warlock is tankier than our barbarian and does way more damage than anyone else in the party. I feel like I would ban warlocks next time

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Dre2Dee2 posted:

In our current game, our warlock is tankier than our barbarian and does way more damage than anyone else in the party. I feel like I would ban warlocks next time

Huh. I've seen both Barbarians and Warlocks in play and this doesn't match up with what I've seen at all. Could you provide some details? Like, their levels or builds or something? I'm just curious, that's all.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

What's make our warlock so drat tanky is the temporary hitpoints he gets whenever he kills anything (which isn't too hard). So it's a free 7 health thrown on top of his HP, so 2 or 3 kills in a fight, and it can be 14-21 extra health in a fight. The temp HP doesn't stack, so I guess I could avoid hitting him, but it becomes hard for me to threaten him unless I really ramp up the monster damage when he gets hit behind the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Dre2Dee2 posted:

E: I'm pretty sure that's not how temp up works. "Healing can’t restore temporary hit points, and they can’t be added together. If you have temporary hit points and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or to gain the new ones. For example, if a spell grants you 12 temporary hit points when you already have 10, you can have 12 or 10, not 22."

I'm curious about this as well. What level are we talking? I'm assuming blade lock with armor invocation and dark ones blessing. I've only played a blasty warlock and did good damage but I've never gone the melee route. Is he using green flame blade?

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 27, 2016