Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Holy crap has newegg gotten slower or something? Placed my order for the 6P at like 7 am tomorrow and its still in "order verification" status... Man I got spoiled by Amazon Prime I guess...

NewEgg has always been slow on status for me. I've had packages arrive (NJ to NH) via ground before the shipping notification has been sent to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705#nexus_devices

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Holy crap has newegg gotten slower or something? Placed my order for the 6P at like 7 am tomorrow and its still in "order verification" status... Man I got spoiled by Amazon Prime I guess...

It's because you haven't ordered it yet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

That list includes the Nexus 4, which as I recall didn't get Lollipop, and for sure didn't get Marshmallow.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

You'd think they'd extend it to 5 years to match Apple. 3 years is pretty good, though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

That list includes the Nexus 4, which as I recall didn't get Lollipop, and for sure didn't get Marshmallow.

I thought we were talking security updates, apologies

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Even if we were (I wasn't reading closely), I think the N4 is off that list too. The thing's three and a half years old, now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have no idea what the n4 is getting in the way of security updates but the 2013 N7 is still getting them and it's 3 years old.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

When I built my last computer last year, I ordered from newegg and Amazon (free shipping, not Prime). The Amazon stuff showed up days earlier. I ended up having to exchange something with newegg and that took like a week, too. Amazon would just send you the new thing before you returned the old to cut down turnaround time.

I haven't been impressed with newegg for a while, though their site does offer great information on the stuff they sell.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Uthor posted:

I haven't been impressed with newegg for a while, though their site does offer great information on the stuff they sell.
I stopped buying anything from Newegg years ago. Newegg was better for research, but pricing and especially delivery times are just so much better on Amazon.

Plus they stopped doing ads on a forum I liked and it pissed a lot of us off that the egg would abandon the site.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

I have no idea what the n4 is getting in the way of security updates but the 2013 N7 is still getting them and it's 3 years old.
It looks like July will be the last patch for the N7 (2013) as that is its third birthday.

N4 and N10 aren't getting anything as they're both from late 2012.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tunga posted:

It looks like July will be the last patch for the N7 (2013) as that is its third birthday.

It's 18 months from when it was removed from the play store. The Nexus 7 2013 was removed in April of 2015, so we should be good until October.

Empereur Norton
Feb 28, 2013
Are there any major issues with the P9? I'm not that bothered about getting spied on by China or whatever. Is it much better than the One Plus 3? Are there any other phones between £300 and £400 I should be looking at?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

isndl posted:

That's why I bought the international version of the Turbo from a Puerto Rican reseller. :downs:

My only regret is the updates are a little slow, but we got Marshmallow last week! Maybe we'll get chop-chop flashlights soon too!

My Verizon Turbo is on 5.1 and it has the chop-chop flashlight already. Check the Moto app. Alternatively, chop-chop your phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

It's 18 months from when it was removed from the play store. The Nexus 7 2013 was removed in April of 2015, so we should be good until October.
I Googled this to see which of the two constraints would apply and Android Police has that in a story from October 2014 though I honestly can't claim to remember.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Skywalker OG posted:

My Verizon Turbo is on 5.1 and it has the chop-chop flashlight already. Check the Moto app. Alternatively, chop-chop your phone.

Already did, the Moto app was definitely updated at some point (new layout) but no chop-chop, just the twist-camera. Even tried chopping anyways just in case. :smith:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

"Nexus posted:

Spam callers be gone! Today, we’re beginning to update your Google Phone app with spam protection on #Nexus and #AndroidOne devices to warn you about potential spam callers and give you the ability to block and report these numbers. If you already have Caller ID turned on, spam protection will be available on your phone once your app updates to the latest version. Learn more: https://goo.gl/FFRCP1

Hopefully this will make it out to other devices eventually. I'll be curious to see just how accurate this spam detection is.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Hopefully this will make it out to other devices eventually. I'll be curious to see just how accurate this spam detection is.

Has any other feature of the Nexus dialer made it out to any other devices?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the google dialer is extremely good and it sucks its restricted to the google devices

I still use an old apk from when they hosed up and put it up on the play store :sigh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The "Phone" thing is weird.

They did allow other devices to install it as of April. I've been using it on my MXP since then.

http://www.slashgear.com/new-google-phone-released-for-android-all-devices-21437358/

But now it's saying it's not compatible with my device. I can't upgrade to the latest version and I suspect that if I uninstalled it I wouldn't be able to re-install it form the store.

So, something goofy is going on.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

it wouldn't, it checks for some file that isn't present on non-nexus devices

you can get the old apks that work from apkmirror tho

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So uh my S6 Active has decided that it is too wet to charge

It's not wet and has not touched water all day; restarts only work for a short amount of time. How do I convince this phone that it's ok to charge?

guys I really cannot stress to you enough how dry this phone is

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Is your phone near a picture of Ryan Gosling?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whizbang posted:

Is your phone near a picture of Ryan Gosling?

I'll admit to laughing out loud at this.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
My weathered and beaten old N5 is nearing the end of it's natural life i fear, the ambient light sensor stopped working the other day, battery life has plummeted, and it's just not as snappy as it used to be.
My past week or so if searching has me looking at the Oneplus3 as a replacement (though I fear it might be a little large) when I get paid in a couple of weeks, is there anything else i should be looking at in a similar price bracket (UK)?

My requirements are better camera/battery life/storage than my N5, possibly rootable (you don't realise how much you miss adblock till it's not there) and liable to get regular software updates.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Nexus 5X is cheaper than the ShitPlus3 from what I can see. The Nexus 6p is more expensive than it. If you want rootable you want a Nexus. If you want rootable and liable to get regular software updates, you doubly want a Nexus. Everything else has a major chance of winding up a headache at some point in the 2~ year lifespan of your device with those requirements.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

DemonMage posted:

Nexus 5X is cheaper than the ShitPlus3 from what I can see. The Nexus 6p is more expensive than it. If you want rootable you want a Nexus. If you want rootable and liable to get regular software updates, you doubly want a Nexus. Everything else has a major chance of winding up a headache at some point in the 2~ year lifespan of your device with those requirements.

5x is also locked at 32gb. What's so lovely about the oneplus3? I've seen very few negatives in reviews beyond 'camera could be a bit better'.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Argos have the 16GB N5X for £180 and Carphone Warehouse have the 32GB for £230, just get one of those.

Edit:

Shannow posted:

5x is also locked at 32gb. What's so lovely about the oneplus3? I've seen very few negatives in reviews beyond 'camera could be a bit better'.
Off the top of my head: slow OS updates, out of spec USB cables, and a competition that encouraged forum posters to rate the attractiveness of female posters so they could win the chance to buy a phone.

It is a garbage company. Do not buy their garbage.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 26, 2016

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Argos regularly hand out the 32gb model for the 16gb price, too.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'd have went for the 5x but for the fact it's stuck at 32gb, which is what my N5 has and i'm constantly having to delete stuff.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I had really bad luck with Hiya and True caller thinking non-spam calls were spam. A good example is when Verizon was calling me to let me know my bill was past due (I had my credit card cancelled and forgot to update it) but like 200 people marked it as spam for some unknown reason and they automatically blocked them from calling me. So I never turned that feature on again. Hopefully this Google version is better while still having a database as large as Hiya and True caller.

One thing that would be awesome is if the Google spam detector could forward spam calls to a different Google Voice inbox. That way you could set up spam callers with a voicemail that has that three-tone "this number has been disconnected" thing which automatically removes you from their list. I used to do this with Youmail and it worked great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shannow posted:

I'd have went for the 5x but for the fact it's stuck at 32gb, which is what my N5 has and i'm constantly having to delete stuff.

Well if you can hang on a couple more months the new Nexuses are supposed to have more local storage.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I had really bad luck with Hiya and True caller thinking non-spam calls were spam. A good example is when Verizon was calling me to let me know my bill was past due (I had my credit card cancelled and forgot to update it) but like 200 people marked it as spam for some unknown reason and they automatically blocked them from calling me. So I never turned that feature on again. Hopefully this Google version is better while still having a database as large as Hiya and True caller.

One thing that would be awesome is if the Google spam detector could forward spam calls to a different Google Voice inbox. That way you could set up spam callers with a voicemail that has that three-tone "this number has been disconnected" thing which automatically removes you from their list. I used to do this with Youmail and it worked great.

When I got to the end of this page I was going to post the exact opposite of this. I've found Hiya to be really great at blocking spam calls.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Probably a dumb question but any micro usb cable will work with an HTC rapid charger just fine right? Or is there something different about the HTC cable bit (not the plug, just the cable). They break/randomly stop working with incredible ease, kind of hoping to find a replacement that will last more than a few months.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm using a random USB cable with the motorola turbo charger and it works so I imagine it should for the htc as well

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Shannow posted:

The oneplus 3 is a fantastic phone, oneplus as a company however is horrible. Or more accurately, they WERE horrible and the 3 hasn't been out long enough to judge their current situation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The oneplus 3 is a fantastic phone, oneplus as a company however is horrible. Or more accurately, they WERE horrible and the 3 hasn't been out long enough to judge their current situation.

If you ignore that it's already been revealed that they send their updates unsecured.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

when it first came out enough people complained about its ram management being horrible that they were forced to release an update addressing it as well

6gb and it couldn't multitask properly lol

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Thermopyle posted:

When I got to the end of this page I was going to post the exact opposite of this. I've found Hiya to be really great at blocking spam calls.

Both can be true, getting a lot of spam blocked while still getting other important calls blocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

when Verizon was calling me to let me know my bill was past due (I had my credit card cancelled and forgot to update it) but like 200 people marked it as spam for some unknown reason

people downloading the app to block collections calls cause this