Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dexo posted:

Graphics chipsets don't create assets.

Game Devs make assets. So yes Game Devs can make assets that look good a TV and a mobile Phone/Tablet sized screen.

Yes, I understand that. For NX Games. They're not going to do it retroactively for 3DS games unless Nintendo like pays them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Capacitive touch doesn't really add much to games aside from multi touch, and resistive is both more accurate and has a tactile response to pressing it in. For something paired with normal controllers resistive actually is kinda better.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I hope it's as powerful as the most powerful high-end gaming PC but cheaper than a PlayStation TV. How hard can it be to design a console, just browse Newegg for parts

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Patter Song posted:

His point was 3DS backwards compatibility would look like poo poo.

Which is probably sadly true, though I have enjoyed DS games on the big screen with the Wii U VC.

Oh then yeah, There is also stuff they can do with smoothing but yeah. It will probably look like garbage.

nigga crab pollock posted:

There are a huge amount of Nintendo followers who didn't care one bit about mobile / portable gaming, me included. To sacrifice power for the sake of portability is a kick in the nuts to be honest.

Nintendo's first party games have never been graphics powerhouses. They do so off of art. Legend of Zelda looks goddamn amazing on the Wii U. If the NX is more powerful and all of Nintendo's First party games look like that I'd be more than content with the power increase.

Then again I don't come at Nintendo consoles for 3rd Party gaming. I just play Nintendo games. I have a PC for Third party games(and Now Microsoft First Party woo). If you were looking for a machine for 3rd party games then that sucks. But Nintendo hasn't gone for that in the last 2(arguably 4 consoles)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Capacitive touch is mostly redundant when paired with traditional controls. You don't need pinch/pull zoom when you have dual analogues+clicksticks and two shoulder buttons on each hand.

But for the things touch DOES offer, resistive + stylus + controls either comes out ahead, especially relative to cost and convenience (drawing maps, art class programs, Miiverse doodles) or is at worst a wash (web navigation, menus, onscreen keyboard, context-sensitive hotkeys).

Like, compare the Vita and Wii U web browsing user experiences, and even after factoring out under-the-hood differences, the Wii U resistive interface is way more responsive and precise.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

There are a huge amount of Nintendo followers who didn't care one bit about mobile / portable gaming, me included. To sacrifice power for the sake of portability is a kick in the nuts to be honest.

The 3DS has managed to be a pretty impressive success given everything it's had going against it (selling 60 million handhelds in this day and age is pretty staggering given how everyone says handhelds are dead), and has a very impressive software library. A Nintendo handheld that docks in and outputs 1080p to my TV that has the full library of Nintendo games plus their usual support from Capcom, Level5, SquareEnix, Sega, etc. for the handheld would be pretty impressive.

When Ace Attorney 7 comes around I'll finally be able to have Phoenix shout "OBJECTION" in Full HD.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Black Mage Knight posted:

Capacitive touch doesn't really add much to games aside from multi touch, and resistive is both more accurate and has a tactile response to pressing it in. For something paired with normal controllers resistive actually is kinda better.

im sorry but you really can't say that resistive is more accurate and better in 2016.

resistive is only accurate if you use a stylus, otherwise it is much much worse than the input detection on capacitive touch screens.

unless the touch layer on your ds has separated from the lcd and makes a clicking noise when you press it i dont see how you can claim that it has a tactile response. a touch is a touch, except you have to press downwards with a few grams of force and if it is not pinpoint accurate it will not detect properly

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

DoctorWhat posted:

Capacitive touch is mostly redundant when paired with traditional controls. You don't need pinch/pull zoom when you have dual analogues+clicksticks and two shoulder buttons on each hand.

But for the things touch DOES offer, resistive + stylus + controls either comes out ahead, especially relative to cost and convenience (drawing maps, art class programs, Miiverse doodles) or is at worst a wash (web navigation, menus, onscreen keyboard, context-sensitive hotkeys).

Like, compare the Vita and Wii U web browsing user experiences, and even after factoring out under-the-hood differences, the Wii U resistive interface is way more responsive and precise.

You are defending resistive touch screens.

Try using the Wii U gamepad's touch screen when your stylus fell between the couch cushions and tell me that resistive touch is better than capacitative touch.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i hope the controllers have those clickable scroll wheels that have been rumored because that sounds like a good idea

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dexo posted:

Graphics chipsets don't create assets.

Game Devs make assets. So yes Game Devs can make assets that look good a TV and a mobile Phone/Tablet sized screen.

What's important is that Nintendo makes the tools for implementing the switching of HD and Portable assets, VFX settings, & configurations as simple and dev-friendly as possible. It has to be nearly as braindead to implement as off-TV play and the hardware/middleware needs to be able to cover as much of the work as possible.

One easy, if limited, option would be a standard file organization schema that segregates HD and Portable assets and that the NX can intelligently utilize to manage memory, load times, etc. at runtime.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

Try using the Wii U gamepad's touch screen when your stylus fell between the couch cushions and tell me that resistive touch is better than capacitative touch.

i would say just use your fingernail but i honestly don't know if fat fingers prevent that from being a viable option for most gamers. i don't think so tho

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I am interested in the concept of the NX video game console and eagerly look forward to seeing how Nintendo bungles it this time.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Feel like this is a load of wishful nerd thinking. I can't see them releasing a handheld when between the recent release of MonHun Generations and the November release of Pokemon Sun & Moon you'd have two really popular system sellers which wouldn't have a game ready for the NX in some time.

In their recent financial report Capcom said they have an unannounced Monster Hunter title that they expect to sell about 2 million units at the start of next fiscal year :getin:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
like i see what you're getting at with accuracy and if you aren't going for a high end device with a wacom digitizer then its probably better to draw on, but the advantage of capacative screens is that you aren't absolutely 100% required to be pinpoint accurate with a stylus every single time you use it. for ease of use and intuitiveness its a no brainer

there is a reason that people lost their drat minds when the iphone came out, because people realized that touchscreens didn't have to be absolute dogshit

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

romanowski posted:

i would say just use your fingernail but i honestly don't know if fat fingers prevent that from being a viable option for most gamers. i don't think so tho

how long are your god drat fingernails???

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Yeah, but WiiU: 12 million 3ds family: 60 million?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

I do this all the time and it's way more pleasant than typing or web navigation on most capacitive screens. Plus, on resistive, you can use your fingernails for precision if you don't take care of your stylus, which isn't an option for capacitive.

Your average capacitive interface does a subpar job of one of the features that a touch screen on a games system is most valuable for - precision 1:1 click-and-drag interaction with the option of an easily-stored, cheap, easily-replaced stylus.

What (many, MANY) features capacitive screens DO offer over resistive are largely made redundant by the presence of real buttons and sticks.

Capacitive screens can't accommodate Miiverse or Art Academy without being married to specialty devices to bring their featureset closer to that of a resistive interface. Even Elite Beat Agents is a relative edge case - the visibility offered by a stylus is a major part of why that game plays so well, since your fingers and hand-meat aren't obscuring the playfield - a problem that thicker capacitive styluses also suffer from to a degree.

You use the top-front of your nails, not the tip/edge, such that your fingers are mostly fingerprint-side up. Or you take care of your goddamn stylus and put it back in the slot like a functional human being.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 26, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dr Cheeto posted:

Feel like this is a load of wishful nerd thinking. I can't see them releasing a handheld when between the recent release of MonHun Generations and the November release of Pokemon Sun & Moon you'd have two really popular system sellers which wouldn't have a game ready for the NX in some time.

Pokemon Black and White 2 came out several months after the 3DS already launched. While the sequels are arguably less important, they still sold almost 10 million units which is pretty significant especially to a new console, so I would definitely say that expecting Nintendo to align these releases together is thinking too hard.

Black Mage Knight posted:

It is worth noting that the upcoming Sonic 2017 game is going to be on PS4 XBone and NX so that does suggest some level of similar performance between the hardware (unless the NX version is going to be a complete different game).

Pretty sure that's just another case where they just listed the console on base expectations, and they probably only have a limited idea about what the NX really can do and are going to sort out their porting later (this kind of thing has happened before). I wouldn't put too much stock into relative power from that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Portable gaming owns, and this is still more powerful than a Wii U if you want just leave it plugged in.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

like i see what you're getting at with accuracy and if you aren't going for a high end device with a wacom digitizer then its probably better to draw on, but the advantage of capacative screens is that you aren't absolutely 100% required to be pinpoint accurate with a stylus every single time you use it. for ease of use and intuitiveness its a no brainer

there is a reason that people lost their drat minds when the iphone came out, because people realized that touchscreens didn't have to be absolute dogshit

Ease of use/intuitiveness aren't the point of a touch screen on a modern games console, they're for covering the input options traditional controls do not, and resistive covers those options more effectively than capacitive.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

me irl

but for real you just gotta bend your finger a little, obviously it's not as intuitive as using your finger tip but it's not particularly uncomfortable or difficult or anything

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Complaining that resistive touchscreens are worse when you go and lose a stylus is like complaining that an analog stick is inferior to a dpad when you tear the rubber grip off or that HDMI is worse when you're using a TV that broke its HDMI port. Or a PC with a broken video card is worse than one with integrated graphics. Use any analogy you feel like.

Like yeah, of course if you're missing half of what makes a piece of technology function it's probably gonna be worse than something that has everything.

Resistive touchscreens offer way more precision through a stylus than anything on capacitive. Anything that needs multitouch is better handled by the sixteen other input methods on the controller anyway, and having worse precision with fingers is meaningless when anything designed to be touched with a finger is going to have a larger size for ease of access.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I can count way more games from this generation where I independently thought "I'd play this a lot more if I could take it portable" than not. Hyrule Warriors and Monster Hunter are two games really well suited to portability but way more satisfying to play on a big screen, I definitely wouldn't have fallen off Hyrule Warriors if I could switch seamlessly between the two. Animal Crossing needs to be portable for regular play but it'd be handy to throw it on a TV for a long remodeling session. Mario Maker, hell yeah let me design levels on my commute. I might have actually finished Xenoblade Chronicles X if I could have messed around with all the grinding and exploration on the go and saved the big moments for when I got home to my TV.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Patter Song posted:

When Ace Attorney 7 comes around I'll finally be able to have Phoenix shout "OBJECTION" in Full HD.

This is honestly what I am most excited for if this turns out to be true.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Honestly, I want it to be true because I'm a lazy goon who can't get off of her rear end to turn on the TV but can to open her 3DS. I haven't played nearly as much as, say, Pikmin 3 as I have Pokemon.

A crossover console is great for someone like me, who likes to do all their gaming in bed. (:wiggle:)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's not going to have a resistive touchscreen, not because is better or worse or anything like that but just because there isn't a market for a touchscreen that needs a stylus. There were absolutely folks who walked up to a Wii U, tried to use it like an iPad, and was like "this sucks" and never bought it.

There are cool ways to make a stylus for a capacitive screen and I hope the NX has them, but that would be a cool bonus feature more than anything. I'm expecting some kind of cool fingerpainting doodle app instead.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm going to withold judgement. I'm not really the biggest fan of handheld/mobile gaming, but there's probably more to this thing than the rumor suggests.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm going to withold judgement. I'm not really the biggest fan of handheld/mobile gaming, but there's probably more to this thing than the rumor suggests.

The 3DS has a fantastic library (with lots of 3rd party support, don't forget). This is a great way to merge the libraries and create a truly staggering software lineup that you can't get anywhere else.

It'll be interesting to see whether they do end up going with Tegra X1 or its replacement.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
It is hilarious to me how Neogaf is, as predicted, blowing up into a shitfit about how Nintendo isn't releasing some sort of core box that competes with Neo or Scorpio in specs.

I'd much rather have a handheld stronger than the Wii U that can HDMI out into my TV. How loving ridiculous is that? That's amazing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

They better keep supporting Miiverse on the new system.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Patter Song posted:

It is hilarious to me how Neogaf is, as predicted, blowing up into a shitfit about how Nintendo isn't releasing some sort of core box that competes with Neo or Scorpio in specs.

I'd much rather have a handheld stronger than the Wii U that can HDMI out into my TV. How loving ridiculous is that? That's amazing.

I don't know why anyone would expect Nintendo to try and compete directly with other consoles in terms of power, they haven't done that since the Gamecube. Not even with their handhelds.

You have to be a crazy person to expect them to make a big expensive powerhouse thing, especially after the 3DS price issues at launch. They're gonna go cheap whenever possible.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Patter Song posted:

It's also a much more workable gimmick for developers imo than the Wii.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

some hot leaks from insiders abound:

• the nx is going to have good games from nintendo

• i'm going to buy one

• wow

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i believe in the nintendoGO

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They need to make a console with Blu-ray more powerful than Scorpio with at least 2TB hard drive and for less that $200.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

I don't know why anyone would expect Nintendo to try and compete directly with other consoles in terms of power, they haven't done that since the Gamecube. Not even with their handhelds.

You have to be a crazy person to expect them to make a big expensive powerhouse thing, especially after the 3DS price issues at launch. They're gonna go cheap whenever possible.

If today's NX report is true, then they are actually pushing the envelope for a mobile device. Really cool stuff!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Devil Tesla posted:

If today's NX report is true, then they are actually pushing the envelope for a mobile device. Really cool stuff!

Yeah, if they are in fact using the new Tegra chip (the one we're calling X2 but isn't even officially named yet) rather than the X1, they'd be pretty close to top-of-the-line for a mobile device.

Remember that Chinese knockoff console, the Fuze Tomahawk?

The one with the PS4-knockoff shell and the XB1 controller knockoff?

It runs on the Tegra K1, a generation behind the X1 and two gens behind the X2. The Fuze, a cheap knockoff console using outdated mobile hardware, has a GPU that matches the Wii U, and twice as much RAM, for $140.

The X2-using NX could easily blow the Wii U's performance out of the water when docked in full power and rival it detached. Even an X1-using NX would be pretty impressive as a handheld and something like a 40-50x upgrade from the 3DS.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

This actually does make some sense as to why they'd be paranoid to announce early, afraid Microsoft or Sony could try and work some kind of versions of their consoles that were portable. And no, I don't mean something like the PSP, I mean a PS4 that you can take on the go.

It's really badass that the "gimmick" Nintendo has been cooking up this whole time involves the concept of the system itself and not "waggle 2.0" or something goofy in regards to controller input.

Allegedly, of course.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I am worried that the NX will use the X1 chip and not the X2 that a lot of people are assuming. This article on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra makes it clear that the only information they have right now is that the NX uses X1, though there are some clues that it might use X2. I like the sound of those clues, but I think that an X1-powered console would be a big disappointment for me, especially since I play most of my games on the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

some hot leaks from insiders abound:

• the nx is going to have good games from nintendo

• i'm going to buy one

• wow

I read this post and now Reggie Fils-Aime has me duct taped to a chair and is asking me where I got my info please send help

• Locked thread