Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Any Vangoons want to go into business with me offering to be straw buyers for idiot Mainlander investors? My Mandarin is pretty good, I figure we can scam a bunch of scammed before the whole house of cards collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

This cant be a real post. You really are involved in the BC housing industry arent you?

I don't know how to respond to this post. You seem to take issue with some point. Maybe should should say what that is?

I'm not advocating subsidies to developers, I'm just spitballing here, speculating on what the province is going to announce.

It looks like my speculation was close to the mark.

quote:

Second, the government is creating a new Housing Priority Initiatives Fund for provincial housing and rental programs, which will be announced in the near future.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

I don't know how to respond to this post. You seem to take issue with some point. Maybe should should say what that is?

I'm not advocating subsidies to developers, I'm just spitballing here, speculating on what the province is going to announce.

It looks like my speculation was close to the mark.

I think I misread what you posted actually. I thought you were implying that the government has no place in ensuring or providing the basic needs and services such as affordable housing (which purpose built rentals typically fall into) and not just theorizing what the dumb BC Liberals will inevitably do.

Whoops!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

I think I misread what you posted actually. I thought you were implying that the government has no place in ensuring or providing the basic needs and services such as affordable housing (which purpose built rentals typically fall into) and not just theorizing what the dumb BC Liberals will inevitably do.

Whoops!

Rereading what I wrote I do see how that post could be read out of context and misinterpreted.

More spitballing: I wonder if this new fund toward rental housing will be directed toward low income and social housing or toward market rental? There's a huge difference between the two. From the BCLiberals I'm expecting the latter.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Don't worry, i'm sure they'll be putting that massive surplus into a legacy fund for when they can't pump any more luxury studio apartments out of the ground.

We even have our own pipeline to China. This analogy is great.

Who are OPEC and Russia in this analogy though?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Majuju posted:

BC brings in 15% property tax for foreign buyers

*sound of hundreds of shell corporations being created*

Yea, but what if I want to give a million dollar donation to a realtor who just so happens to buy a place with that money. That's still legit right.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Madkal posted:

Yea, but what if I want to give a million dollar donation to a realtor who just so happens to buy a place with that money. That's still legit right.

Well, they recently determined that only 3.3% of real-estate was directly to foreign buyers, so they're proudly proclaiming they're solving a problem that doesn't exist.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/majority-of-foreign-buyers-from-china-new-real-estate-data-reveals-1.2977337

Somebody give these fuckers a raise so they can buy another 4 houses.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Powershift posted:

Well, they recently determined that only 3.3% of real-estate was directly to foreign buyers, so they're proudly proclaiming they're solving a problem that doesn't exist.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/majority-of-foreign-buyers-from-china-new-real-estate-data-reveals-1.2977337

Somebody give these fuckers a raise so they can buy another 4 houses.

3.3% over a 19-day period in June.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Franks Happy Place posted:

Any Vangoons want to go into business with me offering to be straw buyers for idiot Mainlander investors? My Mandarin is pretty good, I figure we can scam a bunch of scammed before the whole house of cards collapses.

Yeah sure, I have a suit and a haircut. Do we keep the houses in our names and tell them to pound sand after the illicit money transfer, or will that get us shot?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rime posted:

Yeah sure, I have a suit and a haircut. Do we keep the houses in our names and tell them to pound sand after the illicit money transfer, or will that get us shot?

Just chop them into 100 pieces when they come to collect.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Mainlanders already pipe money through relatives in Canada and party officials are adept at using shell corporations domestically in China so this tax will not be levied on anyone as all of a sudden a bunch of Chinese students in Canada will suddenly be primary shareholders of multimillion dollar property corporations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There's no cap gain exemption for corporations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Isn't a PR what you're buying with your foreign investor immigration?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ocrumsprug posted:

Isn't a PR what you're buying with your foreign investor immigration?

Y E S
E
S

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Uh, so the foreign buyer tax is only going to apply in Vancouver? Is this just gonna gently caress over Victoria?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

No, Victoria housing prices are a spillover from people giving up on affording anything in Vancouver.

edit: also the tax isn't gonna do anything

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/AlexUsherHESA/status/757928827548995584

Several pages back a bunch of you were rationalizing skipping university because ~reasons~

quote:

Overall, 2005 bachelor’s degree graduates had average annual earnings of $45,200 (in 2014
dollars) in the first year after graduation, growing by 66% to reach $74,900 eight years out.

College diploma graduates who finished their studies in 2005 had mean annual earnings of
$33,900 (in 2014 dollars) in the first year following graduation, growing by 59% to $54,000
eight years after graduation.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/CdnMortgageNews/status/757696503184027649

lmao

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

namaste faggots posted:

Several pages back a bunch of you were rationalizing skipping university because ~reasons~

What's the median income for university and college graduates?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

EvilJoven posted:

What's the median income for university and college graduates?

$74k+ after 6 years, and $54k+ after 6 years, respectively.

Except fine arts, they're down in the high-30's poverty.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I skimmed that link on my phome- do those numbers include unemployed, or merely those with jobs?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rime posted:

$74k+ after 6 years, and $54k+ after 6 years, respectively.

Those are college diploma grads, what about college bachelor's grads?

The bachelor number is impressive as a median, if they're not just counting people working in their chosen field or whatever.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/martinmacmahon/status/757958890558455808?s=09

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

That's an easy one. Put public and private pressure to the CMHC to hurry up cutting cheques, raise retail banking fees.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
for reference, current stress tests factor a 30% drop in vancouver prices

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
That'll set prices back at least 10 months.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Where are the billions from the new 15% foreign buyer tax going to go? Into the empty LNG prosperity fund bank account?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ikantski posted:

That'll set prices back at least 10 months.

I'm sure the 40+% of the economy dependent on FIRE will be fine just waiting around a year for prices to recover.

CI you must get hard thinking about the knock-on effects of a 50% price cut. Imagine all those unemployed Realtors™.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

that conversation rules

https://twitter.com/CdnMortgageNews/status/757972663516012544

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Femtosecond posted:

Where are the billions from the new 15% foreign buyer tax going to go? Into the empty LNG prosperity fund bank account?

Into the Fast Ferries slush fund

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

namaste faggots posted:

Nobody wants to skip university, its just not affordable to many people and the financial barriers to entry are a very real and stupid thing. Even with scholarships I couldnt afford university and had to work full time for 4 years after high school just to go to community college.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Nobody wants to skip university,

Actually a lot of people just wanted to score a decent paying job so they could get a place to live and settle down instead of paying out the rear end for High School Part 2: This Time It's For Wealthy Folks, but going to uni was what they were told to do their whole lives so they went anyway whether it put them up to their eyeballs in debt or not

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/keithbaldrey/status/758008851991900160

https://twitter.com/keithbaldrey/status/758006877238112256

https://twitter.com/keithbaldrey/status/758011745080225792

No loving wonder why Rennie tried to minimize the real scope of foreign buying and why the government is now so eager to tax it. It's massive. The government is seeing green.

This is just foreign buyers too, not overall foreign investment. Doesn't take into account money flowing through the QIIP.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
really i thought rennie was just trying to prevent a pogrom of chinese immigrants in vancouver by declaring racism whenever anyone brought up foreign buyers

sad!

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Furnaceface posted:

Nobody wants to skip university, its just not affordable to many people and the financial barriers to entry are a very real and stupid thing. Even with scholarships I couldnt afford university and had to work full time for 4 years after high school just to go to community college.

What province are you in where this was necessary? I grew up quite poor and was able to max out OSAP every year for tuition and living expenses, work poo poo minimum wage jobs over the summer to pay my rent and feed myself, and eventually made it through alright. The amount of help I got from my family (helped me buy groceries the odd time) was negligible. Obviously I have a poo poo ton of debt, but it was worth it.

Edit: mind you I had no dependents, need for a vehicle, or other financial commitments other than keeping myself alive

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 26, 2016

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Not sure what you're talking about because I worked 3 part time jobs while going to school full time to finish my degree without any student loans and only 2 piddly poo poo scholarship.

Bootstraps.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I walked uphill both ways -- through the snow -- to get my degree.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

a fleshy snood posted:

What province are you in where this was necessary? I grew up quite poor and was able to max out OSAP every year for tuition and living expenses, work poo poo minimum wage jobs over the summer to pay my rent and feed myself, and eventually made it through alright. The amount of help I got from my family (helped me buy groceries the odd time) was negligible. Obviously I have a poo poo ton of debt, but it was worth it.

Edit: mind you I had no dependents, need for a vehicle, or other financial commitments other than keeping myself alive

This was back in 97, but my first application for OSAP was rejected if thats any indication of the situation I was looking at. :v:

I mean, looking back now I kind of lucked out because I wanted to go to Queens for CompSci even though I hated everything about it. It was where the money was supposed to be after all. Now I have a diploma, found a field I have interest in, and can pursue a degree in the future should I want to pursue it (I probably will) because Im in a well paying job that is fairly secure. Im just 8 years behind schedule, nothing too big.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
School can be for fun or for money, choose one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

namaste faggots posted:

really i thought rennie was just trying to prevent a pogrom of chinese immigrants in vancouver by declaring racism whenever anyone brought up foreign buyers

sad!

Yeah surprised they haven't gone full "Chinese head tax IS BACK" yet.