Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

SpazmasterX posted:

Better idea: make all junkrat explosives do half normal damage to himself and have all junkrat mains burn in hell for eternity

also if junkrat stays fighting for over 10 minutes he spontaneously combusts and dies but he gets to play a minigame where he conquers hell with his minions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Symmetra really just needs an active E.

Her current one is just bad design. Not that it's weak or unbalanced (though I think it's a little weak) but that it's insanely boring and unsatisfying. She presses E. Done. Once her entire team has shields she no longer has an E unless someone dies at which point she presses E again.

It's difficult to balance because a major permanent-until-death increase to any character's health pool has huge impact on characters like Tracer or Genji but that just means they need to rethink it entirely.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Junkrat's ult should be Roadhog stuffing him in a canon and shooting him at the enemy, bomb in hand.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Janus from smite has some sick moves that could be really cool to have

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ImpAtom posted:

Her current one is just bad design. Not that it's weak or unbalanced (though I think it's a little weak) but that it's insanely boring and unsatisfying. She presses E. Done. Once her entire team has shields she no longer has an E unless someone dies at which point she presses E again.

It's difficult to balance because a major permanent-until-death increase to any character's health pool has huge impact on characters like Tracer or Genji but that just means they need to rethink it entirely.

Yeah. I mean don't get me wrong I love playing Symm but most of the time all you're doing is lobbing right clicks down a choke since it's the only thing you can do safely. Once you get the port down you can try to flank and eat squishies but with no escape or movement options whatsoever it's almost always a suicide run.

Give her an E that she can place like a regular turret that gives shields if it can or decreases the shield recharge delay to people in range. Put it next to your port to give your allies the shield as they come in, or put it near a choke point to act as a mini-mercy for your team.

That doesn't solve any of her fundamental ult problems but at least 'where should I put my shield drone' is more of a decision than 'oh someone used my port I should find them and press E at them.'

Hard light platforms would be mega cool too. Hell, give her three or four different types of emplacements but a limited pool for all of them combined.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

started at 46, dropped to 24 soloqueueing Mercy, i've reinhardted and 76ed and zarya'ed my way back to 30

goal is to finish in the position I started, i've dubbed the 20's aids tier and the 30's cancer tier

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like now that reinhardt isn't a must-have for pushes symmetra loses even more of her value. Defensive matrix eats orbs and genji who is seeing even more play can easily deflect your big orbs, but the biggest loss is that if they don't push with reinhardt you lose one of your biggest sources of ult charge since previously you could force reinhardt to weigh the pros and cons of taking an orb vs dropping his shield to sidestep it.

I think symmetra can be ok for a bridge hold on gibraltar - she definitely feels her strongest when the offense decides to brute force through the underpass (not that I would recommend this) - with a teleporter in the server room or hangar, although a hangar teleporter runs into the problem of there being very narrow chokes for your team to rally through.

Similarly the dorado bridge on point A is probably still ok for symmetra.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 26, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Efexeye posted:

started at 46, dropped to 24 soloqueueing Mercy, i've reinhardted and 76ed and zarya'ed my way back to 30

goal is to finish in the position I started, i've dubbed the 20's aids tier and the 30's cancer tier

You can definitely carry with Zenyatta very easily at that tier. Just stay back, discord, murder.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Legendary

I still don't know how this happened.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the further you fall in the rankings, the more people in losing games like to tell you about how their 4 gold medals indicate how much work they did relative to the other aids tier players

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Efexeye posted:

Efexeye posted:

the further you fall in the rankings, the more people in losing games like to tell you about how their 4 gold medals indicate how much work they did relative to the other aids tier players

basically my experience to a T the last couple of days

junkrat is pretty good btw

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

has there been any hinting about how many competitive points you might get as a chunk at the end of the season?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Symm also gets measurably worse against better players. I could well be wrong in this (I'm pretty far in the trench) but since you're preying on people with low situational awareness and bad coordination it seems pretty likely that once you hit a level where people can flick a 180 as soon as they enter a room and pick off all your turrets you just won't accomplish as much. Better players also know how to prioritize and find your TP and there's basically no way to stop it from blowing up to a single flanker. Theoretically your team will know that and play around the TP defensively but that means you have to drop it really close to the front line so they're not forced to choose between protecting the TP and protecting the point, then THAT then that means it's all the more obvious to the attackers where it is. (E: or wait to drop it until people die and there's a push happening but then you have to play her extremely defensive ball-lobbing from a distance forever so you don't get swatted before you can do anything.)

Her turrets are more a very minor nuisance than anything else if people are paying attention. She's also really bad against both in-meta choices MCree and D.Va if they're capable of aiming well -- I actually think D.Va is better against her than Winston since she can just point in the general direction of a turret from across the map and probably hit it with at least one pellet.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 26, 2016

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Winston's not a monkey, he's a scientist.

Hes an ape you racist.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

What about tripling or quadrupling the boost and having it quickly tick down?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NmareBfly posted:

Symm also gets measurably worse against better players.

A good winrate with Symm is probably indicative that you're playing against bad players, and are therefore also bad.

(I'm currently 45-10 with Symmetra.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A good winrate with Symmetra is probably mostly indicative of switching off when you lose the first point.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Efexeye posted:

has there been any hinting about how many competitive points you might get as a chunk at the end of the season?

Kaplan posted that it would likely be enough to get the top players to a gold weapon and get "the rest of us" "closer" to a gold. So probably like a 1:1 rank to comp pts or maybe 1:1.5, is my guess.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Huxley posted:

A good winrate with Symm is probably indicative that you're playing against bad players, and are therefore also bad.

(I'm currently 45-10 with Symmetra.)

175-90, story checks out.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the Rein tips, everyone. My strategy up to this point has been to dive in when the shield is low and I have ult and try to turn and hammer, but it never seemed to work out that way. Meanwhile every door I try to walk through with Lucio has a a Rein already bearing down on it.

I'll try and shape up a bit tonight.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A good winrate with Symmetra is probably mostly indicative of switching off when you lose the first point.

Can confirm. Highest win rate on my profile, always switch off.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Huxley posted:

Thanks for the Rein tips, everyone. My strategy up to this point has been to dive in when the shield is low and I have ult and try to turn and hammer, but it never seemed to work out that way. Meanwhile every door I try to walk through with Lucio has a a Rein already bearing down on it.

I'll try and shape up a bit tonight.

One Good Trick for Reinhardt's Flame Strike if you see a Mercy healing a target somewhere horizontally across your line of sight is to fire it off somewhere in the empty space between the two (you'll get a better idea of where as you practice), many times a Mercy will shift herself right into the flight path to their target and you'll get a free medic pick.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Where can I see a lot of the most recent competitive meta

Like is there a recent gosu tourney or something

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Where can I see a lot of the most recent competitive meta

Like is there a recent gosu tourney or something

Yeah GosuGamers has a bunch of games from yesterday on twitch. I'm watching the C9 vs Fnatic game right now.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

what's the brawl this week?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

what's the brawl this week?

It hasn't changed yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Mystery Heroes again and forever, please.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

flashman posted:

Janus from smite has some sick moves that could be really cool to have

Janus would be cool, but I'd imagine the tech would be a bit of a mess to implement. SMITE has completely symmetrical maps and no real Z axis, so calculating the end point of a Janus portal is relatively easy. Compare that to Overwatch's vastly more complex maps and you'd start running into problems pretty fast.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
It's kinda interesting how I'm at rank 50ish in comp but sometimes manage to solo the whole enemy team in quick play.

Interesting how everyone with any skill at all went to comp, I mean.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah. I mean don't get me wrong I love playing Symm but most of the time all you're doing is lobbing right clicks down a choke since it's the only thing you can do safely. Once you get the port down you can try to flank and eat squishies but with no escape or movement options whatsoever it's almost always a suicide run.

Give her an E that she can place like a regular turret that gives shields if it can or decreases the shield recharge delay to people in range. Put it next to your port to give your allies the shield as they come in, or put it near a choke point to act as a mini-mercy for your team.

That doesn't solve any of her fundamental ult problems but at least 'where should I put my shield drone' is more of a decision than 'oh someone used my port I should find them and press E at them.'

Hard light platforms would be mega cool too. Hell, give her three or four different types of emplacements but a limited pool for all of them combined.

Make her turrets heal a single nearby friendly, like a stationary Orb of Harmony and turn her E into platforms, so maybe you can put a teleporter somewhere useful for once

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't think I've played a fps that felt less responsive.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Stop playing and unbookmark the thread, tia

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't think I've played a fps that felt less responsive.

The response when you stop playing this game you have apparently never liked and nobody likes you in it will be swift and positive, though.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

let her make those hard light bridges and ramps like she did in the comic

"Light wall, coming up!"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think I'm just going to take a small break from Overwatch until those McCree nerfs hit, because having two of them on each side got old real fast. It doesn't help that "our McCree" is rarely the one that will flashbang the Tracer or Genji that is ruining my day.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the alex-jonesy part of my brain thinks this leg of mcree OPness is an attempt at conditioning the playerbase to play active loving killers and the heroes who facilitate them and not mediocre widow/ana/hanzo who hang back on the periphery, spectating the defeat of the team they're nominally apart of.

Which is to say: a good Widow is good, but if your Widow is getting picked off by mcree then you should probably not be playing widow in that situation independent of mcree being fairly outta control at the moment, again.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 26, 2016

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to pop in to say if you are playing on a potato-spec computer like me, make sure you always close the blizzard launcher when playing. I get 10-15fps extra that way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cage Kicker posted:

Just wanted to pop in to say if you are playing on a potato-spec computer like me, make sure you always close the blizzard launcher when playing. I get 10-15fps extra that way.

Yeah, you can set it to auto-close. Back when my toaster was on its last legs (clean out your cases, folks. My system was old but the CPU heat-sink being a solid mass of dust didn't help) I saw major improvements.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
This is my first day playing the game and I just unboxed the Soldier 76 skin "Daredevil: 76"

So I guess I'm never gonna play another hero ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Willie Tomg posted:

the alex-jonesy part of my brain thinks this leg of mcree OPness is an attempt at conditioning the playerbase to play active loving killers and the heroes who facilitate them and not mediocre widow/ana/hanzo who hang back on the periphery, spectating the defeat of the team they're nominally apart of.

Which is to say: a good Widow is good, but if your Widow is getting picked off by mcree then you should probably not be playing widow in that situation independent of mcree being fairly outta control at the moment, again.

If a Hanzo player was interested in winning they wouldn't be playing Hanzo in the first place, so this premise seems partially flawed from the outset.