Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
And the generator now has Reputations, displays the Fallback (oops), and prints more than the first page (double oops).

I'm getting to the point of putting this to bed for the moment soon, so are there any pressing missing features or glitches people have found?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm going to be running a playtest tonight. I'd like 4 people, but I can do 5 if there's enough interest (not going over that though, takes too long and I'm very busy today). If you're interested PM me here or add me on these and message me so i can give you the roll20 link

steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/countblanc/
bnet: Countblanc#1636

game will be one fight starting at 9 pm EST, give or take 15 minutes. have a character ready to go, level 5 with feats (nothing else is needed) - I'd prefer you use the new stuff, for obvious reasons, but if you wanted to use an old class + Lurker role that'd be fine too. don't worry about party composition.

as a word of warning, the battle tonight is pretty gimmicky, i'm also testing one of Jim's premade encounters

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 26, 2016

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Countblanc posted:

I'm going to be running a playtest tonight. I'd like 4 people, but I can do 5 if there's enough interest (not going over that though, takes too long and I'm very busy today). If you're interested PM me here or add me on these and message me so i can give you the roll20 link

steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/countblanc/
bnet: Countblanc#1636

game will be one fight starting at 9 pm EST, give or take 15 minutes. have a character ready to go, level 5 with feats (nothing else is needed) - I'd prefer you use the new stuff, for obvious reasons, but if you wanted to use an old class + Lurker role that'd be fine too. don't worry about party composition.

as a word of warning, the battle tonight is pretty gimmicky, i'm also testing one of Jim's premade encounters

drat, I'd totally get in on this if I didn't have to be at work at 2 am.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Countblanc: I sent you a friend request and then got immediately booted off steam, which makes me think you're some kind of wizard. (It looks like it's back up now though.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Alright and with that slots are full. I'll likely run another game next week (possibly more), but I'm moving in two days so I'm pretty busy until Monday at the earliest.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Okay first off I'm going to say that in the playtest that happened just now, I played a Bard/Bard and crit on every single attack I made :smuggo:

Now for actual thoughts about the bard:

It is in a little bit of a strange place, feeling-wise because it does not have many attack rolls to make to gain Strikes like 99% of the game assumes, but that admittedly minor issue aside, playing Chords and Melodies along with Riffs is real fun in the sense that I didn't have to worry about flanking, Advantage, and rolling to attack/damage. Instead, all of the thoughtspace was pointed to just tactically reviewing the fight space and planning ahead for melodies and their effects and what kind of songs people needed/were going to need.

I thought I'd use the basic attack grant riff and the Initiative melody a lot more, but I ended up using the other riffs just as equally.

Though tbh, I didn't make the best choices insofar as mid-battle tactics as well as power picks, but that's kind of because I wished there would be more at-will choices :shobon:.

EDIT: Okay so, I don't know what else to say so if you just asked me stuff about the Bard and the fight I'll give you my thoughts.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
:siren:The latest mini-expansion is out!:siren:

Strike! Survival, a supplement about survival stories, travel, and pioneering. I spent a long time on this one and I'm very pleased with how it came out. There are a few things in there that get me really excited about DMing (I might soon be recruiting for a Victorian monster-fighting around-the-world-in-80-days adventure, for instance). It's only $4, so you should go buy it! And if you have friends who like Strike! but don't post here, go tell them to buy it!

Speaking of which, please keep spreading the word about Strike! The pace at which people are buying per month is holding pretty steady, but I'd love to see that number start climbing. Most posters here have heard of it, but if you post on Reddit or RPGnet or in any other communities, there are bound to be plenty of people who would like it if they knew it existed - so let them know! The more Strike! fans we have before I post the eventual Kickstarter for our big upcoming supplements, the faster it'll take off and the more cool extra stuff you guys will get.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I played the Illusionist/Controller in that playtest game. Which involved me taking the ability for my illusions to infect others when the targets failed saves, the LV 3 encounter power power that was Daze (Save ends, on a failed save they're frenzied for a round) and the Illusory Flames power creating a zone of "if you end your turn here, you're panicked" (and sliding people into it and an ally's damage zone overlapping with it as much as possible) and just did a Battlefield Repositioning+Minor Blaster of the initial power to get it going.

One or two turns later, when the battlefield is covered in rage virus'd birds spreading it to each other and reinfecting the ones that save, they had to hotfix it to not be able to reinfect people who had already saved. Illusionist is fun, it's just the class features need a bit of tweaking.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

gourdcaptain posted:

I played the Illusionist/Controller in that playtest game. Which involved me taking the ability for my illusions to infect others when the targets failed saves, the LV 3 encounter power power that was Daze (Save ends, on a failed save they're frenzied for a round) and the Illusory Flames power creating a zone of "if you end your turn here, you're panicked" (and sliding people into it and an ally's damage zone overlapping with it as much as possible) and just did a Battlefield Repositioning+Minor Blaster of the initial power to get it going.

One or two turns later, when the battlefield is covered in rage virus'd birds spreading it to each other and reinfecting the ones that save, they had to hotfix it to not be able to reinfect people who had already saved. Illusionist is fun, it's just the class features need a bit of tweaking.

That was a beautiful two turns :allears:

What was also beautiful was all the terrible rear end rolls.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

That was a beautiful two turns :allears:

What was also beautiful was all the terrible rear end rolls.

And hey, I also got a hotfix ruling on a question that's come up in my game: What happens if an enemy is Frenzied and Panicked at the same time? Roll both and take the result of the lower. Which results in enemies charging at me, then running away roughly alternatingly, which is hilarious especially when immobilizes and grabs get involved...

EDIT: Illusionist Blaster and Illusionist Defender also have hilarious potential, but they might need forced movement support for maximum "hilarity" that I couldn't guarantee without any knowledge of what the other characters in the playtest would be.

The session also had an Ogre who's halves were a Striker and a... Striker, and a Gambler Lurker, following my usual rule of thumb that if you let people pick classes in D&D 4e/roles in Strike without knowing what other people picked, you'll end up with half the party or more being Strikers or equivelent.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 27, 2016

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Something like Zarya would make for an interesting Defender-esque (or maybe Leader-esque) role the way that the Lurker is meant to be an alternate, more complex take on the Striker, where you have the ability to proactively and reactively give your teammates damage resistance and every time you prevent them (or yourself) from taking damage you gain charge which can then be spent boosting your next attack or something.

This sounded really cool, so I turned it over in my head for awhile. Here's the basic idea I came up with:

quote:

The Warder
The Warder's job is essentially the same as the Defender's; you make sure that incoming attacks land where they don't matter. However, while the Defender does this by drawing those attacks to herself, you instead put defensive buffs on whichever allies are in about to be in danger.

Guarding Boost
You gain the Ward power. In addition to using it as a Role Action, you may also use it for free any time you roll a 3 or a 6 on an attack. Multiple Wards don't stack.
- Ward, Role Action, At-Will, Range 10. Target is Guarded and has Resist 1 until the start of your next turn.

Focus Boost
Whenever an enemy gets a Glancing Blow against you or one of your allies, it takes 1 damage, and you gain a Miss Token.

The two boosts feed into each other: Guarded makes it twice as likely that attacks will be Glancing Blows, so you get more Miss Tokens, and in turn, spending a Miss Token on a missed attack makes it into a 3, allowing you to Ward another ally.

Stuff I've thought about but not really made a decision on:
An alternative take on Focus Boost would be straight-up "whenever an enemy attacks a Warded ally." Or something else, I dunno.
Maybe you should have a way to punish enemies for just... not attacking Warded targets. There's only so much you can do by placing Wards carefully.

Does this seem like a good starting point? I've tried to think up a good Action Trigger but nothing amazing has occurred to me. Balance-wise, :shrug: Not worrying about it at this stage. Suggestions welcome!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The idea is cute, but Miss Triggers are pretty scary to give out on 33% of enemy rolls - That leads to a lot of crits and also messes with the assumed hitrate quite a bit. Now since Zarya is as much a damage character (with ramp) as she is a defensive one generating crits isn't necessarily BAD but I think you could do things a bit smoother like having a Warded attack give you +1 damage on your next attack.

Actually now that I've typed that I sorta hate it too, especially since your Role Boost is already an element of luck (everyone's is) so adding the "your enemy must also roll a specific result" on top of that to get to the fun parts of your role is sorta messy. Something easier would just be doling out Buffer Point(s) and getting benefits when those get consumed. They don't fade like a Zarya bubble does but they also don't stack and fights in Strike aren't really long enough to cover your entire team in Buffer Points forever. Maybe make your Role Boost giving out buffer which, when consumed, increase your damage. Your at-will role power could be something unrelated to the barrier, either continuing the Zarya theme (something with self-healing to reflect shields? A power that pulls enemies like Graviton Surge ["choose a square, pull 1 (or more?) enemy within X squares adjacent to it"], etc.) or something completely unrelated that focuses the role some more.

If you want to break from Zarya a bit since Lurker is already a pseudo striker/defender hybrid, maybe emphasize other elements? Like a leader/controller who buffed allies and moved enemies around could be cool and still fit the theme.

Most importantly though giving out Resist 1 is really dangerous since it straight-up shuts off certain enemies (which otherwise could focus the non-defenders) and also stacks so giving it to a Defender or Defensive-Stance Lurker gets silly fast. Not that it can't be done, but tying it to an at-will role action AND the ability to do it 66% of the time when you attack might be a bit much... but Guarded alone is also pretty wimpy.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, those are good points. I think the idea of a role focused on throwing shields on people is a good one, but it's definitely in need of some clever mechanical wizardry to work well. Buffer HP may be the way to go, but it feels like I'm really stepping on the Leader's toes at that point.

I'll keep working at it!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

What were the first three mini-expansions again? I know the Rogue and Vehicle expansions were two, but what was the third?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Trouble in Hogtown, the urban fantasy adventure, is considered a mini-expansion it seems.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jimbozig posted:

:siren:The latest mini-expansion is out!:siren:

Strike! Survival, a supplement about survival stories, travel, and pioneering. I spent a long time on this one and I'm very pleased with how it came out. There are a few things in there that get me really excited about DMing (I might soon be recruiting for a Victorian monster-fighting around-the-world-in-80-days adventure, for instance). It's only $4, so you should go buy it! And if you have friends who like Strike! but don't post here, go tell them to buy it!

Speaking of which, please keep spreading the word about Strike! The pace at which people are buying per month is holding pretty steady, but I'd love to see that number start climbing. Most posters here have heard of it, but if you post on Reddit or RPGnet or in any other communities, there are bound to be plenty of people who would like it if they knew it existed - so let them know! The more Strike! fans we have before I post the eventual Kickstarter for our big upcoming supplements, the faster it'll take off and the more cool extra stuff you guys will get.

definitely interested in that potentially, been too long since I was in a game, and I'd love to try Strike!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Quick question from someone that wants to try Strike.

What's the minimum I need to start a game?

From what I can tell from reading it's:
- Rulebook (can get pdf from the site)
- Scenario (lots of resources in the opening post)
- Paper for character sheets and whatever else
- A board
- A D6

Shipping physical products here takes time and none of the local retailers brought Strike in that I know of, so we're thinking of bootlegging it like this and printing out the rulebook. Did we miss anything?

Artelier fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 29, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You can get by without the board since tactical combat is optional.

The way I played it was with 2D6 per player so you don't have to pass dice around or roll twice if you get advantage.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Gort posted:

You can get by without the board since tactical combat is optional.

The way I played it was with 2D6 per player so you don't have to pass dice around or roll twice if you get advantage.

How do you do combat without the grid?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The rules for theatre of the mind combat apparently got pulled from the rulebook at some point

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

NachtSieger posted:

How do you do combat without the grid?
Team Conflict, or just roll skill checks. The system takes a lot of cues from *World, so there isn't really any reason you couldn't run it like them. Other than tactical combat being a lot of fun.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

ShineDog posted:

The rules for theatre of the mind combat apparently got pulled from the rulebook at some point
They mostly worked... But mostly wasn't good enough for me to print them and give them my full endorsement. If anyone wants to have a go with them, I'm happy to post them. There are just some things that aren't so smooth because the game wasn't built for them. I could absolutely build a gridless game based on Strike! but the way to do it is to build it gridless from the ground up, not try to translate every power directly.

ImpactVector posted:

Other than tactical combat being a lot of fun.

Yeah, this. Most people playing Strike! want the tactical combat, since it's one of the game's primary selling points and the thing that differentiates it most from other games like FATE and Mouse Guard.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ImpactVector posted:

Team Conflict, or just roll skill checks.

We did a fight using just skill checks and there ends up being a big red question mark with what to do about HP and damage, if you don't want it all abstracted to a single Opposed Roll.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The first few times I played strike irl I just drew up a battle map on notebook paper and used quarterly for tokens. So don't feel obligated to buy a dry erase grid map or anything to start

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Countblanc posted:

The first few times I played strike irl I just drew up a battle map on notebook paper and used quarterly for tokens. So don't feel obligated to buy a dry erase grid map or anything to start
There's also a lot of free digital solutions, particularly Roll20.

Several years ago (pre-Roll20 which would have worked even better for this), we played in the living room for one game so the GM displayed a digital map on the TV by connecting his laptop to it. It sounds like more of a hassle than it is - most groups bring a laptop or two along anyways, and in the days of HDMI its pretty trivial to hook a computer up to a television.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
So, the Dancer's step charts use the Move Action, so any effects that increase movement squares don't do anythingif the dancer is using one of the charts, right? Pretty sure that's the case, just want to check.

Related: Are the squares after the first square of movement considered shifting, for the purpose of something like the Slippery feat?

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 30, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Looking more closely at the Ogre's powers . . . the Might At-Wills are really underwhelming. Ignore the Pain is, in my opinion, easily the best one. Who in their right mind would choose an At-Will that only Prones at the expense of also knocking the Ogre Prone? Why do so many Might At-Will powers have drawbacks? I feel these At-Wills are weaker than those of pretty much any other classes in variety and effect. Push 2 and shift 2 on a charge on a big map feels really blah also. If you want it to be a bully, maybe it does 1 extra point of damage for every square of that Push it can't do because the target is against a solid object. A low-damage Living Missile would also be more fun than just pushing people. Magick's Warlock Punch is more interesting and Might-y than Might's powers.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I'm several hundred pages posts back in the thread.

If you have a Buddies character and a stance dependent role like Lurker, do both halves of the Buddies need to be in the same stance?

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 30, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

homullus posted:

Who in their right mind would choose an At-Will that only Prones at the expense of also knocking the Ogre Prone? Why do so many Might At-Will powers have drawbacks?

We were fighting birds and I had the opportunity to use that power to super-leap up and suplex us both into the ground.

I couldn't roll for poo poo that fight, so it didn't happen, but it could've.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Carrasco posted:

We were fighting birds and I had the opportunity to use that power to super-leap up and suplex us both into the ground.

I couldn't roll for poo poo that fight, so it didn't happen, but it could've.

It Prones the Might Ogre, on the Might Ogre's turn. Which means the creature Proned will get to stand up and attack the Might Ogre before it has a chance to stand up, if this was after any move. I am sure there are times when the Might Ogre's Blood-Mage-like stuff is worth that cost, but Prone as a self-inflicted effect on your own turn feels as though it costs "more".

In any case, other "bully" ideas to consider:

*Slide the target x squares. You may take 1 unresisted damage to give Disadvantage on target's next saving throw against forced movement into a harmful space. At level 5, you may take 1 unresisted damage to remove the target's next saving throw against forced movement into a harmful space.
*You may break a 1-square hole in an adjacent wall on the battlefield and slide the target (or shift yourself) into that square. The GM has the final say on whether this is possible in the narrative.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The self-damage is there to trigger two of the class features and to just be a cost in some cases. Both playtesters I've played with who used the class said they really enjoyed the HP sacrifice mechanic (though I'm certainly going to look at if the reward is enough). As for Into the Trash, the intent is that you use it when you have an available move action. This is actually pretty simple to come by for the Ogre since your partner's move action is often up for grabs, enemies will attack you (or your partner) and be in melee range, you can Charge with Bread and Butter and then stand, etc.

Again, I'll be sure to ask other testers what they think but I feel like "I can't envision a situation where this will ever be useful" seems sorta unwarranted when Prone on an at-will with a downside you can often easily counteract, and since the class gets 3 at-wills you can easily justify a more esoteric option.

I like your ideas, especially the second one. I'll have to make a note to mess around with it once I'm done moving and settling in.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Does a summoner essentially lose the power refresh benefit of their Rally if all their summons are dead?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How differently does the Rogue play relative to trying to play a mobile duelist/martial artist? Was maybe going to pick up Survival this week (already have Vehicles), but not sure on spending $4 yet for just a class book my group might not play.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think it's pretty unique compared to those (and other) classes, though Martial Artist is definitely the closest comparison. The big thing is that it forces you to think about how you want to spend your actions differently than any other class barring perhaps the Dancer - Since the class near exclusively deals in Free and Move actions (the vast majority of your Attack actions will be Charging or making basic attacks of one sort or another) and many of those don't actually move you that far you have to figure out how best to get around the battlefield while actually getting some benefit out of your class. The way it interacts with Advantage also encourages some different play, though obviously every class likes Advantage, the Rogue just LOVES it.

Ultimately your call though, and I'm a pretty firm believer of the "buy RPG stuff you'll use to play, not read on the toilet" philosophy.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Had the first session of my Star Wars campaign since the playtest materal came out and some people switched to stuff from it. I'm not sure how much data you can draw from the one fight that occured because the players tactics were pretty bad at points (the engineer stuck his Micro-Machine turret on a player who ran off from the rest of the battle in a way that messed the engineer up for instance, the Lurker just got the crud kicked out of him due to some bad rolls and got dominated for a bit).

The Evoker was interesting in the sense that while it seemed useful (and the player was on the ball enough that their turns actually went quicker than some other players) and not overpowered (their damage is just awful even if the effects are rather versatile and good), there were some amazing moments with for instance, Arc Evocation's ability to go full Chaos Magic and just start rampaging through the battlefield at random.

The Engineer player ended up retraining out Armor Up not because it wasn't useful, but he didn't enjoy taking an ability that was not just passive (he wants to play a Bard in another game, so that's not it) but depended on people on their turns taking advantage of it and then being hit. It just felt too out of his control and indirect.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gourdcaptain posted:

(their damage is just awful even if the effects are rather versatile and good)

Were they doubling up on elements at all? I'm pretty sure someone who just casts lots of Fire+Fire or Earth+Earth or something ought to be doing Blaster-caliber damage, albeit with more awkward AoE shapes.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Were they doubling up on elements at all? I'm pretty sure someone who just casts lots of Fire+Fire or Earth+Earth or something ought to be doing Blaster-caliber damage, albeit with more awkward AoE shapes.

It was blaster-tier, but pretty low for that considering some of the powers did nothing extra on a crit and others did no base damage (and to be fair, I remember them mostly going for forced movement-related stuff for their effects to get grappling enemies off people). I was probably exaggerating a bit. Arc Evocation tends to lend to hilarity, though, given it's... interesting results on a 1 or 2.

EDIT: I DMed it, but I don't claim to know all the Evoker possible results, just the ones I saw.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gourdcaptain posted:

It was blaster-tier, but pretty low for that considering some of the powers did nothing extra on a crit and others did no base damage (and to be fair, I remember them mostly going for forced movement-related stuff for their effects to get grappling enemies off people). I was probably exaggerating a bit. Arc Evocation tends to lend to hilarity, though, given it's... interesting results on a 1 or 2.

EDIT: I DMed it, but I don't claim to know all the Evoker possible results, just the ones I saw.

Hmm, fair point. I think I'm going to try giving it standard crit damage (by just manually having its crits be worth +2 or +3 damage inherently, same as with other classes) and see if that works out. I'll keep Spray's crits a bit low just to retain its identity or whatever.

If anyone's interested, the most current version of the Evoker should generally be visible here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JC3ZZCfSfIfiYVqA50saZ5YnNDWXwc-JJREHIbWE36g/pub I think it'll periodically update with whatever minor changes I make, but am not sure.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
How does the Magnate's Trick interact with the Wealth system?

It just seems to be asking for another PC to ask the Magnate for a huge bribe, then he spends an action point to pay it to give the other PC a Wealth packet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Hmm, fair point. I think I'm going to try giving it standard crit damage (by just manually having its crits be worth +2 or +3 damage inherently, same as with other classes) and see if that works out. I'll keep Spray's crits a bit low just to retain its identity or whatever.

If anyone's interested, the most current version of the Evoker should generally be visible here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JC3ZZCfSfIfiYVqA50saZ5YnNDWXwc-JJREHIbWE36g/pub I think it'll periodically update with whatever minor changes I make, but am not sure.

My Evoker player looked at the new copy and is wondering how the High Magicks feat works because you can't ever summon three non-basic elements at once?