Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DutchDupe posted:

How did a race that looked like a clear pick up opportunity turn into such a disaster?

Because that is what FL Dems do and have done since Chiles died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Missouri politics, everyone: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...f73a560403.html

The Post-Dispatch posted:

Silicon Valley investor Michael Goguen has donated $1 million to one of Brunner's opponents, Eric Greitens. Goguen subsequently made national news when a female acquaintance filed a lawsuit against him alleging years of sexual abuse. Goguen has denied the allegation, and has filed a counter-suit against her alleging extortion.

Greitens' three GOP campaign opponents, including Brunner, have turned the issue into a political hammer, repeatedly calling on Greitens to return Goguen's money.

Brunner took it a step further during a heated exchange with Greitens on stage during a debate in St. Charles on July 13, saying: “(I) refuse to be lectured by a guy who took $1 million from the owner of a teenage sex slave.”

In this race, we have: a former Lt. Gov who spent state funds at the Sauget Ballet because he fell in love with a stripper, a candidate who's running on a "Law, Order and Fix Mizzou" platform who kicked it off by getting in some poo poo with MU because she used the Tigers logo and symbols without their permission, a total enigma backed by said venture-capitalist, Vincent Kennedy McMahon, and a shadowy group called "SEALs for Truth", and Brunner, who once supported George Wallace out of "youthful rebellion". And all this with the backdrop of the once-leading candidate driven to suicide because of an anti-Semitic whisper campaign started by the man who went on to manage Lyin' Ted's campaign.

(The only interesting thing about the Democratic nominee is that back in the early 2000s, he wanted to announce that he was ditching the GOP and going over to the Dems in front of his--and my--high school alma mater. It got nixed, officially due to "his stance on abortion" but more likely because the Society of Jesus wanted to remain politically neutral.)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I don't think the FL race is unwinnable for Murphy, though it's definitely Lean R.

If Grayson is the nominee, Rubio walks. Rubio doesn't even have to campaign in that case (which suits lazy Marco just fine).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

thethreeman posted:

I'm actually a bit surprised how negative SA is about Grayson after reading this. Sure, he runs a personal hedge fund, but it sounds like he's a total anti-establishment/anti-machine/anti-"anointment" politician who's been dunking on Wall St like a populist for years:

Greyson being progressive (when it suits him) doesn't come close to outweighing what a massive pile of human poo poo he is as a person. Progressive or not, he's someone whose career really needs to be destroyed.

DutchDupe posted:

How did a race that looked like a clear pick up opportunity turn into such a disaster?

Florida

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Patter Song posted:

I don't think the FL race is unwinnable for Murphy, though it's definitely Lean R.

If Grayson is the nominee, Rubio walks. Rubio doesn't even have to campaign in that case (which suits lazy Marco just fine).

Yeah, the Murphy obituaries are being written super early here. Especially when Rubio barely won in 2010 and just spent the last few months being dunked on by Trump. Also Hillary has a pretty good chance of winning Florida, and people splitting their ballot Clinton/Rubio are not going to be a numerous cohort.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

thethreeman posted:

ya literally the same day that great NYMag article comes out, this happens: https://twitter.com/apalmerdc/status/757986770562711552

I didn't know about the domestic abuse allegations. What a disaster of a race for Dems. Which is I guess what all the FL posters in this thread have been saying for months

It has been discussed in this thread, at length, by myself and several other people. There's a reason (well, there's a whole load of reasons) that nobody likes him here anymore.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it looks like the guy who didn't encourage people to shoot cops beat the guy who did encourage people to shoot cops in the republican congressional primary today in georgia's third congressional district. with 31% reporting, ferguson leads crane 54.5-45.5. i guess crane is barely winning the counties he was expected to be winning easily:

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/758088615012409344

https://twitter.com/SouthernPol/status/758089003354566656

it's not like it's a massive defeat though

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thethreeman posted:

So as a total outsider to FL politics, I found this article about the Senate race phenomenal: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/alan-grayson-florida-senate-race.html

I'm actually a bit surprised how negative SA is about Grayson after reading this. Sure, he runs a personal hedge fund, but it sounds like he's a total anti-establishment/anti-machine/anti-"anointment" politician who's been dunking on Wall St like a populist for years:

Basically, don't make the common mistake of confusing someone's politics with their personal character.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

not quite sure if this is the correct thread, but why does everyone in Baltimore hate Stephanie Rawlings-Blake so much? The one thing I remember about her is calling the Freddie Gray rioters thugs.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
2018, but man, Texas politics is really dumb.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thethreeman posted:

ya literally the same day that great NYMag article comes out, this happens: https://twitter.com/apalmerdc/status/757986770562711552

I didn't know about the domestic abuse allegations. What a disaster of a race for Dems. Which is I guess what all the FL posters in this thread have been saying for months

Holy poo poo. A literal "How much do you beat your wife, Senator?" question.

That's not a question that should have a ready answer.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Lycus posted:

2018, but man, Texas politics is really dumb.

hahaha this owns. It is great when politicians don't even hide their outgroup priming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIyewCdXMzk

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Watching the DNC now - Katie McGinty is NOT a good public speaker...

Her speech is more populist than I would've imagined. Worked a good Toomey "made all his money on wall street" dis in

Duckworth next!

e: Duckworth is a good speaker, but she didn't say as much about her opponent or her policies in general as McGinty did... Probably a good decision for the situation

Also, lol: https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/758787385702449154

thethreeman has issued a correction as of 23:32 on Jul 28, 2016

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
from just now:https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/758802087215894531
and from earlier today:https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/758785367843667968
get pumped for 2018

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You are buying the propaganda.

Cruz is going to crush whoever goes up against him in the 2018 general and his "freaking out" is a fundraising email, all candidates send them out, often over the minorest thing.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Cliff Racer posted:

You are buying the propaganda.

Cruz is going to crush whoever goes up against him in the 2018 general and his "freaking out" is a fundraising email, all candidates send them out, often over the minorest thing.

yeah I read the article I linked, I know what he was talking about, but good clarification for ppl who don't click

I find the political process here - a recognizable person like Castro making himself known, stating his intentions 2 years in advance, and potentially drumming up both local dem feet on the street and national establishment/superPAC support - important and interesting, and relevant to the downballot thread, even if the 2018 Senate race is a dream

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

But would he do better or worse than Wendy Davis?

I think he would do significantly better and, if he ran, would probably bring even more voters into the party.

He probably won't run though because he's got a pretty safe (D+6) seat and why would he give it up to get blown out?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Paper With Lines posted:

What kind of shoes does he wear?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Lycus posted:

What kind of shoes does he wear?

Well, if real American men wear cowboy boots and American women wear pink tennies, then what do `the mexicans' wear?

Would Cruz try to imply that Castro is somehow less American than him? Seems dangerous.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Does Cruz regularly wear cowboy boots? I can't even imagine that.

I guess I could see him transforming from sad clown painting to rodeo clown.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Chokes McGee posted:

Holy poo poo. A literal "How much do you beat your wife, Senator?" question.

That's not a question that should have a ready answer.

Well, if the people putting on the event you are attending published an article about how much you beat your wife, the day before the event, maybe you should have a ready answer.

Also, maybe if you invest in gold mines that use slave labor you should hope for a nice, low key, story about spousal abuse.

Paper With Lines posted:

I think he would do significantly better and, if he ran, would probably bring even more voters into the party.

He probably won't run though because he's got a pretty safe (D+6) seat and why would he give it up to get blown out?

If a Castro runs, it's probably going to be the Castro losing his job come January. Though I'd love to see a Senate run by simply Castro, where the twins and 252 look alikes run a county level campaign while all claiming to simply be Castro.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Paper With Lines posted:

It would be hard to do worse.

Though saying that he might actually pull it off. Not due to candidate quality or anything but due to senate races being about national issues versus governor being about local governance. Plenty of states, including Texas, which have split their tickets for governor in the past wouldn't think about doing it for senator in the present day.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

It would be hard to do worse.

Though saying that he might actually pull it off. Not due to candidate quality or anything but due to senate races being about national issues versus governor being about local governance. Plenty of states, including Texas, which have split their tickets for governor in the past wouldn't think about doing it for senator in the present day.

It would be about national issues in 2018, though. The only chance he would have is if Donald Trump wins this year.

Badger of Basra has issued a correction as of 16:15 on Jul 29, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh you're right, 18 would be governor. But then why even mention Cruz?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh you're right, 18 would be governor. But then why even mention Cruz?

Cruz was elected in 2012 so he would be up for reelection in 2018.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it's a shame Grayson couldn't have just stayed in the house and kept on being an obnoxious rear end in a top hat to journalists and the GOP. I like the man's work but he's an incredible scumbag and he'll never beat Rubio like that

Murphy is like the clueless spiritual successor to DWS which should go over well with all the fops in the tip of the dick that is south Florida but all the polls on RCP recently have him losing 7-9 points in a hypothetical Rubio matchup. honestly gently caress the Florida dems

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Some good news for Rob Portman: Local BLM Chapter endorses Portman over Strickland for Senate race

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

bizarre.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

He also picked up the endorsement of the Teamsters. Strickland hasn't helped himself either with the fortune cookie gaffe.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This stinks like astrotruff.

gret posted:

He also picked up the endorsement of the Teamsters. Strickland hasn't helped himself either with the fortune cookie gaffe.

That is loving disgraceful.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
From the MO poll that had Hillary only down 1 (so pretty fav to Dems):

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...41059fddaf.html

Blunt +4, within MoE:

The article makes note that a GOP SuperPAC is putting some serious money into this race

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thats actually probably pretty bad news for Democrats. People aren't going to vote someone with positive favorability ratings out. Of course I don't even think that race will be a thing so ehhhh.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fullhouse posted:

it's a shame Grayson couldn't have just stayed in the house and kept on being an obnoxious rear end in a top hat to journalists and the GOP. I like the man's work but he's an incredible scumbag and he'll never beat Rubio like that

Murphy is like the clueless spiritual successor to DWS which should go over well with all the fops in the tip of the dick that is south Florida but all the polls on RCP recently have him losing 7-9 points in a hypothetical Rubio matchup. honestly gently caress the Florida dems

Marco Rubio is a widely known person in Florida and nobody knows who the gently caress Murphy even is. I mean it takes me a second or two to remember his name when thinking about the Democratic field, and I am a veritable political encyclopedia resting upon the fount of knowledge compared to the average Florida voter.

I still feel like the Senate seat is going to go the same way as the state as a whole. Rubio is way too Rubio for voters to split their ticket and Trump voters ain't voting for no Demoncrat.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Gyges posted:

Rubio is way too Rubio for voters to split their ticket

Owns.

Gyges posted:

Trump voters ain't voting for no Demoncrat.

In Minnesota, where I live, it seems like I could see folks in the 8th Congressional district vote for the Dem incumbent and D Trizzle. Rick Nolan has made himself out to be this bastion of fair trade in a region where all the steel miners are hosed. Combined with the fact that H Dawg has a mixed trade policy and is a woman, it seems like a perfect storm.

Anyway, that is all to say that it will be very interesting to see the rate of split ballots.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The real Michigan primary is on Tuesday. Here's the SoS elections portal if you need to double check your polling location or want to see a sample ballot.

https://webapps.sos.state.mi.us/MVIC/

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Cliff Racer posted:

Thats actually probably pretty bad news for Democrats. People aren't going to vote someone with positive favorability ratings out. Of course I don't even think that race will be a thing so ehhhh.

agreed, iirc the last poll out of MO (PPP I think) had Hillary down by 9 or 10, and Blunt up by 3. Now this poll, with Hillary up by 1, and Blunt up by 4. No downticket lift from Hillary improving, whether you believe independents have actually switched to her or it's just a sampling thing (and two polls is an insignificant sample size, but the lack of lift is a terrible omen for several states if true). And still nobody has any idea who he is - republicans are going to get to define him given their larger ad budgets in the state

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

thethreeman posted:

From the MO poll that had Hillary only down 1 (so pretty fav to Dems):

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...41059fddaf.html

Blunt +4, within MoE:

The article makes note that a GOP SuperPAC is putting some serious money into this race

kander is a stretch seat but it's a real possibility. the spending says it all - the gop wouldn't be dumping money into missouri if their internals didn't tell them it was seriously threatened

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The gubernatorial race is going on at the same time and it looks like Democrats have an okay candidate for that (and the GOP has some okay ones and not so okay ones fighting it out in a primary) so the money could be in regards to that.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

The gubernatorial race is going on at the same time and it looks like Democrats have an okay candidate for that (and the GOP has some okay ones and not so okay ones fighting it out in a primary) so the money could be in regards to that.

As for that GOP gubernatorial primary: we're only a few days out from the election and polls have it as a four-way tie, and all the other GOP primaries are essentially dead heats. Plus one of the candidates just got a very hands-on endorsement (I got a robocall from him earlier this morning).

Missouri's also an open-primary state, so it'll be interesting to see how tactical voting will affect the race. And if you get a chance, look up some of the ads we're seeing (either on Youtube,or better yet if you have MLB.TV, select the Cardinals home feed of their game vs the Marlins tomorrow)--they're good and terrible.

Troy Queef has issued a correction as of 22:53 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Michigan's primary election is today. We are electing US House Reps to run in November, state reps and local county & township governments. We have 5 people running for county sheriff, and yours truly is on the ballot for county precinct delegate.

https://webapps.sos.state.mi.us/MVIC/ If you're from Michigan, you can use this to look at your local ballot before voting.

e: The Michigan Democratic Party launched a fundraiser today: donate $27 and we will send Donald Trump a copy of the US Constitution with your name on it. Link goes to act blue.

https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/mdptrumpconstitution

HUGE PUBES A PLUS has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Aug 2, 2016

• Locked thread