Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I hope Matt Lauer's body is never flown back to the US and is instead preserved like Stalin's was and is passed around like a religious relic from favela to favela as a commemoration of the most glorious three weeks of armed robberies ever seen in the southern hemisphere.

He is passed around like a trophy, held onto by the most dominant Favela gang.

Eventually he is installed on Corcovado mountain, erected in a Christ-like pose alongside the Redeemer statue. Tourists and corrupt cops are sacrificed at the feet of St. Lauer in the hope of luck and prosperity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Just heard something about Bernie ecclestones wife's mother kidnapped in Brazil. shits getting real

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Preoptopus posted:

Just heard something about Bernie ecclestones wife's mother kidnapped in Brazil. shits getting real

Bernie gonna turn it into an advert for whichever briefcase he delivers the bills in

It's what he did when he got mugged for his watch:

quote:

The battered face of Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone features in a new advert for a Swiss company, whose watch was stolen from him in a mugging last month.

The 80-year-old was mugged by four people and also robbed of jewellery worth 200,000 ($315,000) in London.

The advert was an idea from Ecclestone himself who sent it to the firm.

The tag line quotes Ecclestone as saying: "See what people will do for a Hublot."

e: for Brazil relevance:

quote:

He was robbed at the Formula One Holdings building in Knightsbridge while with his Brazilian girlfriend Fabiana Flosi.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that's a pretty baller way to turn a mugging around though gotta say

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Was kidnapping an athlete part of the bingo? Im probably late on this

http://abcnews.go.com/International/zealand-athlete-claims-kidnapped-police-rio/story?id=40851160

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Coke dealers in Rio showing their games spirit.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

Coke dealers in Rio showing their games spirit.

"use away from children"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

you are, and he is only an athlete in the broadest possible sense. he has no relation to the olympics at all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
cocaine seems really common there

Anyone done cocaine? It seems fun, what's it like

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Zzulu posted:

cocaine seems really common there

Anyone done cocaine? It seems fun, what's it like

10 out of 10 would use again

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Slang these thangs and gently caress these hoes,
One line at a time goes up a niggas nose
The poo poo clean my sinuses just like a shower

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Bernie can buy another woman for a lot less than $36 million.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

nerdz posted:

"use away from children"

Dealer with a consciousness

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I don't know why ISIS is even bothering. It seems like all the headlines are already taken

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

vyst posted:

I don't know why ISIS is even bothering. It seems like all the headlines are already taken

You've gotta advertise to retain brand awareness. If you fail to do that you're going to be the Moxie of terrorism rather than the Coke.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ISIS will suicide bomb a crowd in Rio and will be hailed as heroes, liberating the Zika'd masses from their existence of fetid poo poo and police kidnappings.

They'll try for a second bombing, but the guy will get spooked when a horde of unwashed, poop-stained, and mosquito-bit tourists shamble towards him, uttering in an unholy chorus "Meeee. Taaaakkkeee meeeeee.'

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I mean, if I read a headline a few weeks from now of "large explosion reported at Olympic games in Rio" it wouldn't even be clear that a terrorist attack occurred.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Well,

Police who kidnapped Kiwi arrested in Brazil

Two police officers have been arrested in Brazil and taken into custody, after a New Zealander said he was kidnapped and made to withdraw cash.

Jay Lee says he was threatened at the weekend by men dressed in military police uniforms.

Things escalated further yesterday when military police turned up on his doorstep.

New Zealand's Ambassador became involved after Mr Lee and his partner, former Newstalk ZB reporter Laura McQuillan, locked themselves in their apartment.

Two officers have now been taken in for questioning and are being detained.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/world/police-who-kidnapped-kiwi-arrested-in-brazil/

Who ever said it was the REAL police, mark your card.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lime Tonics posted:

the REAL police

works on two levels, nice.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Those kind of kidnappings are called express kidnappings, super common in South America.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/strobist/status/757985022917931008

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
So many youtube vloggers are going to get their cameras stolen lol

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

El Hefe posted:

So many youtube vloggers are going to get their cameras stolen lol

Finally an upside to this Olympics.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Skellybones posted:

I'm so glad I'm not Brazilian.

Why? Because of "national shame" or something stupid like that? Seriously?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Negrostrike posted:

Why? Because of "national shame" or something stupid like that? Seriously?

Probably because it means he would be in Brazil.

buteruc
Feb 12, 2009

FISA just banned all but 6 Russian rowers.

Australia, Greece and Italy will take their places in the respective boats.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ok maybe this is lookin pretty bad

Rio gonna be a new hellscape where only the strong survive

and mug the weak

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
An oroborous of people mugging each other while a bumbum dances in the center

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

El Hefe posted:

Those kind of kidnappings are called express kidnappings, super common in South America.

Can you explain more?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
they're only for kidnappers in groups of 12 or less

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Brannock posted:

Can you explain more?

A kidnap where they get you and run around looking for ATMs forcing you to withdraw money, then they release (or sometimes kill) you.

It was common some years back, but I don't see it in the news now. Most ATMs now have a low limit withdraw during late times at night so I don't think it's worthy doing (robbing a cell phone will probably get more money).

Both my godmother and my mother suffered express kidnappings many years back. My godmother was taken to ATMs and then was released and my mother they drove around with her car while negotiating on the phone where to dismantle the car / sell the parts but since they couldn't find a buyer for the parts in time they released her and the car after an hour or so.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 26, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

Oh baby, finally a sport I want to watch. That lanky Phelps creep will fetch a cool billion.

Also even better they hold him near bodies of water in Rio without worrying about him trying to escape.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

New mascots??

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

ZZZorcerer posted:

A kidnap where they get you and run around looking for ATMs forcing you to withdraw money, then they release (or sometimes kill) you.

It was common some years back, but I don't see it in the news now. Most ATMs now have a low limit withdraw during late times at night so I don't think it's worthy doing (robbing a cell phone will probably get more money).

Both my godmother and my mother suffered express kidnappings many years back. My godmother was taken to ATMs and then was released and my mother they drove around with her car while negotiating on the phone where to dismantle the car / sell the parts but since they couldn't find a buyer for the parts in time they released her and the car after an hour or so.

Yes, but is it commonly carried out by uniformed police officers?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hoplosternum posted:

If only Brazil had the type of advanced Civil Forfeiture laws the US has.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Hoplosternum posted:

A lot of kidnappings and high profile robberies are carried out by the police but they are usually not dumb enough to do it wearing their uniform.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Hoplosternum posted:

El Hefe posted:

A lot of kidnappings and high profile robberies are carried out by the police but they are usually not dumb enough to do it wearing their uniform.

This, that was pretty uncommon. They're normally on the background of crime related stuff (or at least not wearing the uniform).

I know a guy that was working as an engineer in Mozambique and there he said some police officers would friendly say to foreigners something like "Would you help a fellow with some money, mister ?" while casually pointing the gun in the direction of the person, so.. at least they ask nicely there. (People that got afraid would give some cash but if you didn't they wouldn't do nothing, just say goodbye).

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 27, 2016

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
looked back five pages, didn't see this article

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/26/rowing-olympics-2016-water-quality

Megan Kalmoe: I will row through poo poo for you, America

quote:

I have worked for 10 years to get to this point and will continue to work as hard as I can over the next few weeks to make the most of this very special and unique opportunity.

But all you want to do is talk about poo poo in the water.

My request to everyone who is fixated on poo poo in the water: stop. Stop trying to ruin the Olympics for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Think of it this way: every time you sensationalize the poor water quality, or try to get athletes to react to Zika, or chastise the Brazilian people for allowing their government to collapse, youre not just insulting the Brazilian people. Youre also insulting us, your American athletes.

• Locked thread