Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CuLT posted:

I made Hamburg Steak and rice today. It was pretty good.

e: I may end up doing this for every episode.
Where are the photos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Everything Burrito posted:

yeah, could be fun!
I want to try some of the recipes at some point, have mostly been too lazy to do much cooking lately though.

This, but busy. Maybe this weekend...

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, my apartment lacks air conditioning and it has been over 85℉/30℃ a lot here (NW suburbs of Boston, 95℉/35℃ and humid tomorrow :suicide:) lately so my microwave has been my source of hot meals. Do plan on making a run to the local Asian grocery store soonish though to get the rarer ingredients to make some of these recipes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that's my other problem, if I need something not usually sold in the average American South small town grocery store I have to order it online which requires a bit of planning ahead (and limits what I can get i.e. nothing fresh).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Los Angeles Master Race.

Whatever I need is generally within a reasonable drive. "Reasonable Drive" is relative to living in Los Angeles and dealing with the traffic thereof.

I'll need to decide which recipe I do this weekend...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I live directly across the street from a good grocery store.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Just watched ep 3, and I'm proud of myself. Only one single tear.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I live close to a really good indoor market, so with a little bit of effort it's possible to get pretty much anything I'll need.

krnhotwings posted:

Where are the photos?

It occurred to me, but I was very hungry, and it didn't look nearly as appetising as the one in the show (I wouldn't want to put anyone off actually trying it :sweatdrop:).

Will take photos next time!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Just watched ep 3, and I'm proud of myself. Only one single tear.

:same:

Tsumugi put on a pro-level pout this ep

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
This week's episode is a reaction gif goldmine. Poor Tsumugi. But vegetable trauma right after this thread progressed the way it did... :allears:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

one of the smuggest faces ive ever seen, jesus

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

smuggest wideface

widest smugface

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tsumugi's little stunt at the end made me laugh like a hyena because that's exactly the type of thing I would do as a kid with my veggies. Kids aren't that easy to fool!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
smugface in motion

lil baby Kouhei :3:

tfw you realize you're actually a cooking genius

tfw you realize you're not

last week's drat fine egg

I fried some eggs for breakfast this morning and was wishing mine looked that nice

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The dance worked. Tsumugi's a witch!

JD
Jan 11, 2003
It's weird to me that it seems in Japan that the most universally disliked veggie is the green bell pepper.

In America it's brussels sprouts I think?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JD posted:

It's weird to me that it seems in Japan that the most universally disliked veggie is the green bell pepper.

yea that or broccoli I think.

Yea when I figured out 'green pepper' was the Japanese shorthand for 'eeeew gross veggies' I was genuinely surprised. I love those shits.

It is neat how it changes things though, like in Inside Out when over here the big thing that showed the kid couldn't even get the pizza she liked was broccoli pizza, but in Japan it was changed to green pepper pizza and I was like 'but wait that's delicious' when I saw it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

JD posted:

Japanese soil is frequently rich in sulfur, it makes sense what with it being a volcanic island chain, and the sulfur makes bell peppers grown there more bitter, it also makes onions stronger and more acrid.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
^^ That's interesting.

Also interesting that they changed the pizza topping in Inside Out, but yeah Japanese children seem to hate green bell peppers (p-man?)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

last week's drat fine egg

I fried some eggs for breakfast this morning and was wishing mine looked that nice

put the egg in a strainer then fry it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

put the egg in a strainer then fry it

I don't actually have one but have been meaning to buy one for egg poaching purposes anyway. I want some cooking chopsticks too, they seem really handy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

I would watch that crossover

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Pro-tip, sunny side up egg, a salty soy sauce, fresh cracked pepper, and baguette or some some sort of toasted fluffy bread.

A++ simple breakfast along with some OJ

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Compendium posted:

Pro-tip, sunny side up egg, a salty soy sauce, fresh cracked pepper, and baguette or some some sort of toasted fluffy bread.

A++ simple breakfast along with some OJ

this but instead of soy sauce a spoonful of spicy chili sauce is my go-to easy breakfast, yea.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I just heat up the pan to a moderately low temperature, add cooking spray (or butter or whatever,) crack the egg in, cover the pan, and let it sit for 3-4 minutes (depending how you like your yolk.) There should only be an ever so slight sizzle sound. Comes out perfect for me every time. YMMV; you'll probably wanna experiment with your heat + cookware.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

krnhotwings posted:

I just heat up the pan to a moderately low temperature, add cooking spray (or butter or whatever,) crack the egg in, cover the pan, and let it sit for 3-4 minutes (depending how you like your yolk.) There should only be an ever so slight sizzle sound. Comes out perfect for me every time. YMMV; you'll probably wanna experiment with your heat + cookware.

The secret is covering the pan, as soon as I started doing that my eggs came out much better.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

The secret is covering the pan, as soon as I started doing that my eggs came out much better.

The lessons taught by MGS4.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
if you can manage to flip the egg without loving it up you'll get a nice film of cooked white over the yolk, like at a diner. over easy eggs are the best

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Law Cheetah posted:

if you can manage to flip the egg without loving it up you'll get a nice film of cooked white over the yolk, like at a diner. over easy eggs are the best

That's usually how I do it but they're really just not as pretty as a nice sunny side up. My eggs are also always lopsided because my kitchen floor (and therefore my stove) are unlevel so they always run to one side of the pan :(

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I've heard (i.e. my dad who's a far better cook than I told me) that a good tip is to start with a cool pan and oil, crack the egg in, then warm it with the oil slowly on medium-low heat. Takes a while, but means you don't get eggs with burns and bubbles.

EDIT: I don't usually cover the pan, mind.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

smenj posted:

I've heard (i.e. my dad who's a far better cook than I told me) that a good tip is to start with a cool pan and oil, crack the egg in, then warm it with the oil slowly on medium-low heat. Takes a while, but means you don't get eggs with burns and bubbles.

EDIT: I don't usually cover the pan, mind.

doing this and covering the pan is basically how you get the perfect cartoon style sunny side up eggs, yea.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

low heat is the way to go for pretty sunny side up eggs. takes some time though.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Clever girl...

https://my.mixtape.moe/xdctsa.webm

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That smile after she gets caught... she knows her own power. Very dangerous.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I generally go more for scrambled eggs, personally. Not a big fan of the textures of white and yolk individually.

Breakfast foods rule, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Devil Tesla posted:

That smile after she gets caught... she knows her own power. Very dangerous.

they made a mistake granting her witch powers, now she's unstoppable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

That's usually how I do it but they're really just not as pretty as a nice sunny side up. My eggs are also always lopsided because my kitchen floor (and therefore my stove) are unlevel so they always run to one side of the pan :(

Fun fact: Many stoves have adjustable legs/feet that screw in and out to level the cooktop.

• Locked thread