Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The modern ones still pull some stupid stuff with stats though. I don't want to grind up stats to make the shooting/driving/anything else controls not suck, never mind doing it three times because you've put three characters in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i don't understand why GTAV has stats for all the stuff you'd be doing anyway. This isn't Elder Scrolls, I can't decide "ok, this character won't use any restoration spells so I don't need to worry about my restoration stat". The stats include loving walking

(I know Morrowind had a walking stat too but you know what i mean)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the idea was to give each character something they are objectively better at than the other 2, just to give the player an idea of who to play as for doing certain activities. Michael has the top rank in shooting right off the bat, Franklin in driving, and Trevor in flying (which is stupid, but I'll get to that). They maintain these roles throughout the whole game, in the heists et cetera. The problem is that the entire "improve your dude" system is dumb and pointless and they could have just made them be better at that stuff without tying it to arbitrary bars that you can gain and lose progress on.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think shooting was the only stat I ever really noticed a difference in once I started leveling up anyway so it all seemed kinda pointless to me. The others I would maybe occasionally feel a bit of difference between the characters but not enough to be sure there actually was one and it wasn't my imagination.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There's definitely a big difference with flying skill as well. Helicopters control horribly until you get that fairly leveled (which thankfully goes pretty quick with the flight school)

It's still really dumb how Trevor is the best pilot but most heists have you flying as Michael.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think it's dumb to specialize characters if they're expected to perform every action in their own missions.

like if you're gonna have them do things in which they're not proficient for variety's sake, they should be less challenging or shorter segments than the things at which they excel.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MiddleOne posted:

You can't really fault the game for not adhering to modern gaming conventions.

GTA's controls and RPG elements were bad even at the time, though. Its copycats like True Crime: Streets of LA and The Godfather and Scarface had way better aiming and things like cover systems and the ability to aim at specific body parts to disable people and much more sensible metagames and stat/unlock systems.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

CJ's stats in SA were great and y'all are bustas for claiming otherwise. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
CJ getting more buff and/or more fat and his voice getting deeper as you let his muscle stat change was awesome, and it produced some of of my favorite cutscenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VGPrBv5J74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doa3Wc6Qpg0

It's just too bad the stats thing overall is a bad idea because pretty good stuff can come from it. It's just not worth it.

edit: Fat CJ also has a ton of new incidental dialogue that is almost all gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuhYVpW7pj0

"Come on then, shoot me! You can't miss!!"

"Imma eat you, fool!! :mad:"

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Jul 24, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mister Adequate posted:

CJ's stats in SA were great and y'all are bustas for claiming otherwise. :colbert:

i loved beefing up at the gym. it's mostly locking story progression because I didn't bother to hunt for oysters in my free time.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

CJacobs posted:

Welp, time to fire up San Andreas again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I finally tried the gym bullshit in Pokemon Go and it's kind of bad. Like really bad. The enemy pokemon takes up most of the screen, your pokemon takes up the entire bottom corner and so you're given almost no space to swipe to dodge. And since tap makes you attack, half the time you swipe you attack instead. Also because the game is entirely vertically oriented after one dodge your pokemon goes off screen and the camera gives no shits about trying to correct this so have fun trying to keep dodging after that. There appears to be no way to zoom out. Also enemy pokemon don't like, freeze or anything when your pokemon die so more than once my new pokemon was instantly murdered when it got sent out because it spawned right into an attack, then got attacked again. :shrug:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Nuebot posted:

So I finally tried the gym bullshit in Pokemon Go and it's kind of bad. Like really bad. The enemy pokemon takes up most of the screen, your pokemon takes up the entire bottom corner and so you're given almost no space to swipe to dodge. And since tap makes you attack, half the time you swipe you attack instead. Also because the game is entirely vertically oriented after one dodge your pokemon goes off screen and the camera gives no shits about trying to correct this so have fun trying to keep dodging after that. There appears to be no way to zoom out. Also enemy pokemon don't like, freeze or anything when your pokemon die so more than once my new pokemon was instantly murdered when it got sent out because it spawned right into an attack, then got attacked again. :shrug:

Protip: you don't have to click/swipe on any particular part of the screen. Click and swipe on the enemy if you want to, you'll still attack and dodge as normal
Also have your finger moving before making contact to make sure it registers as 'swipe' not 'click', and finally you can't dodge mid-attack so if your pokemon has a long attack (like venomoth) it'll take forever to land and you'll miss your dodge window (which usually causes you to attack again, throwing your timing off more), though fast attackers (like eevee evolutions) can dodge right away.

Also open with three dodges every fight no matter what, (enemy always opens with two quick attacks), and then they attack every 1.5 sec after that. Usually you have to time the dodge as the particle effect is spawning; and this varies by attack so you just kinda gotta learn them rote.

On the other hand, since you can attack A LOT faster than the enemy, you can often just hammer attack and out-race them. Make sure you dodge those supers though (start dodging as it's announced and stop dodging when you see it 'land').

One last note: it is entirely possible to :darksouls: down a gym and take no damage at all.
Once you get the hang of it, knocking over enemy gyms is good XP, and planting 4-5 of your pokes at gyms each night gets you hella dust

E: Thing dragging this game down: my town is basically completely barren except for eevees, ratas and pidges. Each gym here has 4-5 vaporeons guarding it, and Vapes are overpowered as poo poo

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Jul 25, 2016

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Inco posted:

Just Cause 3 seems like it could be a good game, but the controls just hamstring the entire experience. With Just Cause 2, I was usually able to swap between KB+M and pad, but now the stuff I'd usually play with KB+M are just terrible now. I had to drag my mouse across my mousepad 9 times to turn a helicopter halfway around. The wingsuit just controls like poo poo in general. Playing with just the pad isn't an option either because the on foot controls suck on a pad.

Also, who thought that making precision aim an unlockable was a good idea? What a ridiculous thing to do.

Controlling it with the pad is no worse than most 3rd person games I think. The flying/wingsuit challenges are much more doable with the analogue left-stick instead of the WASD keys.

The load times and frame rate problems are the real pain the arse. I hate when you get repeatedly rag dolled with no control while you get shot to death, also when you grapple onto a helicopter and you get killed while doing the breaking in animation.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

E: Thing dragging this game down: my town is basically completely barren except for eevees, ratas and pidges. Each gym here has 4-5 vaporeons guarding it, and Vapes are overpowered as poo poo

If gyms were more available I'd probably get better at them but :effort: they're all in weird locations I drive by but never stop near. But yeah it's definitely always vaporeons, if they ever bother to balance the game I can see vaporeon getting hit by some kind of nerf. Though I doubt they care enough about the battle system to do that, it's not exactly complex.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Controlling it with the pad is no worse than most 3rd person games I think.

I don't like playing shooters with pads: they're endlessly fiddly and I can't hit anything with them. I tried using a pad to destroy the first power plant, and all I accomplished was to run out of ammo and die.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I recently got Zero Time Dilemma, and while it's interesting so far, the actual colors in the game are bland as hell. I don't know if they put a sepia filter over any scene showing characters, or just decided that bright colors are forbidden, but it's incredibly drab, especially considering how bright and colorful the character designs in the first two games were.

Also, Akane's hair and eyes were dark brown in 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, and now her hair and eyes are a light red/pink color? It would be one thing if this was someone with the same name, but they state very early on in one team's story that this is the same character from 999.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Her eyes are violet in ZTD which is a reference to her being code named "grape" in the original Japanese version of 999.

The thing dragging down ZTD is that the ending twist is lame and awful in a way that neither of the previous games were and it really cheapens the whole experience for the sake of a really lousy "gotcha". But then again (major spoilers) Uchikoshi couldn't have literally spoiled the game with an anagram title if anybody had any idea who Delta actually was.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Zero Time Dilemma's lackluster character models and graphics really really can't keep up with the story, it's a shame.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CJacobs posted:

Zero Time Dilemma's lackluster character models and graphics really really can't keep up with the story, it's a shame.

I thought they were serviceable up until the big reveal, which just fell flat for a million reasons but was exacerbated since the whole game shifting animation-heavy things just off camera being a budget thing is okay if and only if they're not also using that just-off-screen gimmick towards the reveal.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Ever since the last patch, all my dialog in Fallout 4 is just a full screen of my right shoulder. Codsworth can say my name now, but I can't see him say it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Novigrad City in the Witcher 3 just isn't fun. Most of the side quests are locked behind the main quest, and the main quest is just you spending hours looking for an aggravating bard. There's a lot of tedious running back-and-forth between mission markers because fast-travel isn't really an option, and the winding layout of the city obviously means you can't move through it freely like a field or a forest.

Oh, and horse racing sucks. I'm not losing because I'm slow, I'm losing because the game doesn't properly designate racing checkpoints outside of the minimap.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Jul 26, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So .hack GU has a system where if you chain several hits on an enemy they get stunned and you can use your skills for extra damage. This basically destroys what little difficulty the game had because with a fast weapon you can just do this forever. So how did the devs make sure you couldn't abuse this in the later games? By giving most of the late-game enemies auto-counters that make every fight take twice as long. Now you can't combo enemies at all because every time you hit them you get knocked back with an instant attack. It's annoying.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Final Fantasy VII is better than I gave it credit for once you get past that the game's translation is crapshack and its graphics were bad even by 1997 standards let alone now. Even those can sort of make it endearing in a retrospective way, when you're willing to forgive the flaws of a game because it's nineteen years old anyway.

But god damnit knock it off with the minigames. It's an enjoyable RPG, and I like when it decides to be one, but then it just keeps throwing weird bullshit at you while only barely telling you how it works. And it really seems to work to introduce some of these, too.
Fort under attack by Shinra? Ooh, that could be a fun endurance match kinda thing--oh, it's an undercooked and interminably slow tower defense game.
Big industrial-looking port town with Shinra stronghold? That has the makings of a stealth mission, or maybe it's like Karnak in V... or, it could have you disguise yourself as a soldier and do a ceremonial marching minigame*. That too.

Part of that is when it was made, I get that, you had a lot of other games also going a bit nuts with minigames and alternate controls because they could and didn't yet know they shouldn't (Sonic Adventure was a big one, but you can see it in other stuff like Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon), but something's different about VII in that it's really bad at them. They're really poorly-considered and integrated in the first place, it doesn't give you enough time to figure them out, they're obtuse, and really just not fun.

I just wanna smash things with my sword that's more like a big metal club, stop making me do literally everything else!

*For an extra bit of bullshit: it turns out that the military march 'minigame' is actually impossible to do right for a lot of people now, because the button to shoulder your gun isn't correctly implemented on any control scheme but the original Playstation controller.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

CJacobs posted:

CJ getting more buff and/or more fat and his voice getting deeper as you let his muscle stat change was awesome, and it produced some of of my favorite cutscenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VGPrBv5J74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doa3Wc6Qpg0

It's just too bad the stats thing overall is a bad idea because pretty good stuff can come from it. It's just not worth it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Final Fantasy VII is better than I gave it credit for once you get past that the game's translation is crapshack and its graphics were bad even by 1997 standards let alone now. Even those can sort of make it endearing in a retrospective way, when you're willing to forgive the flaws of a game because it's nineteen years old anyway.

But god damnit knock it off with the minigames. It's an enjoyable RPG, and I like when it decides to be one, but then it just keeps throwing weird bullshit at you while only barely telling you how it works. And it really seems to work to introduce some of these, too.
Fort under attack by Shinra? Ooh, that could be a fun endurance match kinda thing--oh, it's an undercooked and interminably slow tower defense game.
Big industrial-looking port town with Shinra stronghold? That has the makings of a stealth mission, or maybe it's like Karnak in V... or, it could have you disguise yourself as a soldier and do a ceremonial marching minigame*. That too.

Part of that is when it was made, I get that, you had a lot of other games also going a bit nuts with minigames and alternate controls because they could and didn't yet know they shouldn't (Sonic Adventure was a big one, but you can see it in other stuff like Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon), but something's different about VII in that it's really bad at them. They're really poorly-considered and integrated in the first place, it doesn't give you enough time to figure them out, they're obtuse, and really just not fun.

I just wanna smash things with my sword that's more like a big metal club, stop making me do literally everything else!

*For an extra bit of bullshit: it turns out that the military march 'minigame' is actually impossible to do right for a lot of people now, because the button to shoulder your gun isn't correctly implemented on any control scheme but the original Playstation controller.

On the other hand, snowboard.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Cleretic posted:

I actually really like the minigame sections v:shobon:v
I think they break up monotonous gameplay and inject flavor into the universe that most games just wouldn't bother doing or would attempt to do via dialogue. Different strokes, though!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Through the PS4 I'm replaying FF7 for the first time in many years. As a mini-minigame, nothing tops the random slap fight between Tifa and Scarlet on Disc 2.

I'm dreading the chocobos.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Poulpe posted:

I actually really like the minigame sections v:shobon:v
I think they break up monotonous gameplay and inject flavor into the universe that most games just wouldn't bother doing or would attempt to do via dialogue. Different strokes, though!

Core gameplay that needs minigames to break it up isn't good enough and needs to be reworked until it is.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Oh, and horse racing sucks. I'm not losing because I'm slow, I'm losing because the game doesn't properly designate racing checkpoints outside of the minimap.

I hated them too until I tried not paying much attention to the course and just followed the gray line in the mini map that details the race route. Once I did that they were super easy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Woolie Wool posted:

Core gameplay that needs minigames to break it up isn't good enough and needs to be reworked until it is.

:jerkbag:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Tbh I'd just make that the thread title

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PYF thing jerking this game off - our hands are all dry and scaly

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Woolie Wool posted:

Mm, no, I think I'd disagree. Classic Final Fantasy turn based combat worked for ten games and kept it interesting by having you gradually unlock different characters and abilities as you go along, but even with that there's no denying it could become monotonous after grinding away too long.

I'd argue that the games that aimed to break up that monotony via gameplay (FF12, 13, likely 15) have been departures from the series and generally drag them down, because they sacrifice everything else to do so. I legitimately miss the dumb little asides in modern RPGs.

Suddenly the best side quests and minigames you get are "go kill even more things" and "I'm Captain Basch!"

Poulpe has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Jul 27, 2016

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think some of the placement of FF7 mini games are a little off. Like it's weird to have a fun, action packed snowboarding minigame 10 minutes after your girlfriend was brutally murdered in front of your eyes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot who liked the puzzle and grindboot parts of Ratchet and Clank games.

I liked the hacking and stuff in the Sly Cooper games too.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RareAcumen posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot who liked the puzzle and grindboot parts of Ratchet and Clank games.

On one hand we have almost every major game and game designer of the past 30 years, on the other hand we have Woolie Wool.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

RareAcumen posted:

Grinding segments are a core facet of Ratchet and Clank gameplay and I will stare disconcertingly at anyone who says otherwise :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's almost like even an excellent and flawless gameplay concept needs some variety to freshen it up because doing the same things for a 30+ hour RPG can get a little tedious no matter how good it is.

poo poo, even DO4M, which I would go so far as to say is a very nearly perfect single player game, starts getting a little exhausting and repetitive just as it ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

On one hand we have almost every major game and game designer of the past 30 years, on the other hand we have Woolie Wool.

*looks through huge collection of games that have no minigames or purely optional ones*

ok