Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

I don't know, I've just strapped a pair of jackhammers to the Fencer and taken on the first Quadruped Foretress. Did you know that as well as Hectors, the flying drones are also sadly deficient in Vitamin Fist? Bounding into the air on wings of fire to punch aircraft in the face is totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Inzombiac posted:

My favorite line happened today while fighting some Hectors
"USE BULLETS. TRUST ME!"

Also, how am I supposed to use any other weapon now that I have a loving laser chainsaw. Sure, my med-range lightning cannon is an absolute murder machine but does not have enough style points.

It helps that the laser chainsaw is a legit awesome weapon for close in strafing passes.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

TacticalNecromancy posted:

I don't know, I've just strapped a pair of jackhammers to the Fencer and taken on the first Quadruped Foretress. Did you know that as well as Hectors, the flying drones are also sadly deficient in Vitamin Fist? Bounding into the air on wings of fire to punch aircraft in the face is totally worth it.

They are not, however, deficient in explosion juggling.

Just did the mission where there are nothing but Hectors on Inferno in the city and holy poo poo they are annoying when they start juggling you with explosions. Like seriously, they do piddly damage but they can keep hit-juggling you to oblivion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Last night I found out that helicopters can pass through Shieldbearer shields. :killdozer:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The only kind of Hector I'm ever really afraid of is the ones with those loving chainguns. When they get interested in you there isn't much you can do to evade it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Night10194 posted:

The only kind of Hector I'm ever really afraid of is the ones with those loving chainguns. When they get interested in you there isn't much you can do to evade it.

You can spoil their aim with any full-auto weapon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Inzombiac posted:

Also, how am I supposed to use any other weapon now that I have a loving laser chainsaw. Sure, my med-range lightning cannon is an absolute murder machine but does not have enough style points.

The real question we need to be asking is why the Wing Diver can't hold this death machine sideways :unsmigghh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Really Pants posted:

Last night I found out that helicopters can pass through Shieldbearer shields. :killdozer:

All player vehicles can, actually.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Inzombiac posted:

My favorite line happened today while fighting some Hectors
"USE BULLETS. TRUST ME!"

You move on to other laser outputs. For example, your next upgrade after the chainsaw doesn't quite cut it is the LARG-W3, named for it's three pronged fire. Basically anything in your field of view is going to be cut down! :getin:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

All player vehicles can, actually.

Really? They've stopped me from driving tanks through before. Unless I actually just hit a big rock or something.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Really Pants posted:

Really? They've stopped me from driving tanks through before. Unless I actually just hit a big rock or something.

You probably hit a rock, I routinely drive Titans up inside shield bearer walls and blow myself up with the main gun while killing it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Really Pants posted:

You can spoil their aim with any full-auto weapon.

It usually isn't the Hector I'm shooting that causes the problems, but the ones next to/to his side who light me up while I'm busy killing one.

Some of this is that a lot of my experiences with Hectors are with only two players in MP up until now, where they have like 4x as much health as in single player. In single player I don't have any issues with them.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Any smart computer people in this thread? I extracted a few .bat files from the game, dunno if anything can be done with them though

ALIEN4LEGTANK301_AI.BAT posted:

preview_mode

db_activate xgs_console 0

end_scene
map_no_camera ig_TestLightMap fine

enemy Alien4LegTank301.sgo -76 0 233 3.14
ghost_camera 0

set_generator 0 app:/object/Ufo301.sgo 1800 15 10

player -76 0 533 3.14

2PLAYER.BAT posted:

preview_mode

db_activate xgs_console 0

end_scene
map_no_camera ig_TestLightMap fine

set_player_count 2

player -76 6 233 3.14

REM set_invincible

ADDSOLDIER.BAT posted:

friend_squad AiArmySoldier_AF_Leader.sgo AiArmySoldier_AF.sgo 20 -66 10 203 0

Playing around with a console in this game would be amazing

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Miscellaneous comments:

ALIEN4LEGTANK301_AI.BAT: set_generator line might be the spawner setup. If you changed app:/object/Ufo301.sgo to something else, you could have it drop other things. The numbers are probably how many to drop and a timer. If you can replace this file and make it work, I suggest looking up the path to the ALIENT4LEGTANK and have it drop more of itself. :v:

2PLAYER.BAT: "REM set_invincible" if you removed the REM, the players would probably be invincible.

player line is probably spawn coordinates in both.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 26, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Stage 96: Demon Army online is an absolutely murderous difficulty jump. Quite literally starting the mission covered in a legion of those bastard upgraded drones with the bullshit stunlock lasers and being given roughly 20 seconds to kill all of them before infinity ants/spiders/bees drown you while being bombarded by blue hectors that are also marching towards you and oh here are more drones is the first I've actually become frustrated at the game. My friends and I(Air Raider, Fencer, Ranger, Wing Diver/Ranger) are getting overwhelmed by the initial waves before we even start working on the hives.

Seriously, on Hard with 2.2k armor as an Air Raider I'm nearly dying before my vehicle even arrives, and by the time the vehicle arrives I'm up to my rear end in a top hat in bugs that kill any vehicle I bring instantly anyway.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kanos posted:

Stage 96: Demon Army online is an absolutely murderous difficulty jump. Quite literally starting the mission covered in a legion of those bastard upgraded drones with the bullshit stunlock lasers and being given roughly 20 seconds to kill all of them before infinity ants/spiders/bees drown you while being bombarded by blue hectors that are also marching towards you and oh here are more drones is the first I've actually become frustrated at the game. My friends and I(Air Raider, Fencer, Ranger, Wing Diver/Ranger) are getting overwhelmed by the initial waves before we even start working on the hives.

Seriously, on Hard with 2.2k armor as an Air Raider I'm nearly dying before my vehicle even arrives, and by the time the vehicle arrives I'm up to my rear end in a top hat in bugs that kill any vehicle I bring instantly anyway.

stop stop I can only get so erect

Do you have any turrets unlocked? You can put those out to keep the insects at bay just a little longer to give you more time to deal with the drones.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

stop stop I can only get so erect

Do you have any turrets unlocked? You can put those out to keep the insects at bay just a little longer to give you more time to deal with the drones.

I actually tried that, but even the max level turrets allowed by the mission run out of ammo so quickly that once they go empty I'm stuck with my dick in my hands on a 20 second reload while the swarm kills everyone.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Obsurveyor posted:

Miscellaneous comments:

ALIEN4LEGTANK301_AI.BAT: set_generator line might be the spawner setup. If you changed app:/object/Ufo301.sgo to something else, you could have it drop other things. The numbers are probably how many to drop and a timer. If you can replace this file and make it work, I suggest looking up the path to the ALIENT4LEGTANK and have it drop more of itself. :v:

2PLAYER.BAT: "REM set_invincible" if you removed the REM, the players would probably be invincible.

player line is probably spawn coordinates in both.

If anyone somehow manages to get the .bat files working I'd like to see dropships dropping a bunch of friendly marines and insects right next to eachother. There were only a few .bats in the game file so I'm thinking they were using them to test for bugs or something

Kanos posted:

Probably the hardest mission in the game, you need some good teamwork. Aggro 1 nest at a time so you don't get overwhelmed, cause once you attack the ant hills in the middle you get a bunch of gold/silver bugs to deal with. I always found it easiest to take out the drones and hectors first, then the nests left to right

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HolyKrap posted:

Probably the hardest mission in the game, you need some good teamwork. Aggro 1 nest at a time so you don't get overwhelmed, cause once you attack the ant hills in the middle you get a bunch of gold/silver bugs to deal with. I always found it easiest to take out the drones and hectors first, then the nests left to right

Taking out the drones, the initial bug wave, and the hectors first is the problem. We're not even making it to attacking the hives. :smith:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Kanos posted:

Taking out the drones, the initial bug wave, and the hectors first is the problem. We're not even making it to attacking the hives. :smith:

You guys low on armor? You'll need some decent AA for the drones, their lasers are almost impossible to get away from. And that's not even the hardest part of that mission either. You might have to switch difficulties to stock up on weapons and armor

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HolyKrap posted:

You guys low on armor? You'll need some decent AA for the drones, their lasers are almost impossible to get away from. And that's not even the hardest part of that mission either. You might have to switch difficulties to stock up on weapons and armor

I've got 2.2k on the air raider, our fencer has ~3k. Our rangers are low.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

HolyKrap posted:

If anyone somehow manages to get the .bat files working I'd like to see dropships dropping a bunch of friendly marines and insects right next to eachother.

Sorry, I've got a bit of drool on me. What was that now?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Always be rolling with those laser drones if you're Air Raider and Ranger. I-Frames from that are too good and they can't keep up with their tracking. You'll also want precision bombing with your Support slot so you don't pull aggro from the other nests.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I'm not real familiar with hacking/modding games from zero but if anyone is and knows their stuff, running strings on the executable looks to me like the binary isn't stripped of symbols. Looking to see if maybe there's a command line option to execute those batch files.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Where did they come up with the anime decoys?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scalding Coffee posted:

Where did they come up with the anime decoys?
Cross-marketing with some anime thing at the time I guess? That's usually how these things work.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Anime Cabaret Club Video Game Crossover.

Basically think of the fun parts stripped out of Yakuza and you're left with the hostess club stuff.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The loading screen of a Ranger ragdolling through a fence with the text explaining that EDF soldiers train to have bodies as tough as steel which is why they can roll through obstacles made me laugh way too hard.

e. Also the very confused Air Raider with a tank on a roof.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Guy Mann posted:

The loading screen of a Ranger ragdolling through a fence with the text explaining that EDF soldiers train to have bodies as tough as steel which is why they can roll through obstacles made me laugh way too hard.

e. Also the very confused Air Raider with a tank on a roof.

my favorite one is the air raider sadly looking at his tank stuck on a roof

e: DAMMIT you edited too fast

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

When you're shoving explosions up an ant's mouth and flying away, you gotta have a made of pure steel.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Renegret posted:

Every time I see it, I always think of the AW poo poo from this

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Renegret posted:

This happened to a friend of mine when we had no explosives available to blow the mech off the roof with. The mech was going to be our explosives!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I just lost my save file. When I exited the game, I got a blue screen of death with a REFERENCE_BY_POINTER error, and the next time I started up EDF it said my save was corrupted.

I guess I could start over as Fencer instead of Air Raider, but I don't know how to prevent that from happening again.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Renegret posted:

:sigh:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I lost two tanks from some overpass. I tried destroying them, but spiders. One flipped over.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Really Pants posted:

I just lost my save file. When I exited the game, I got a blue screen of death with a REFERENCE_BY_POINTER error, and the next time I started up EDF it said my save was corrupted.

I guess I could start over as Fencer instead of Air Raider, but I don't know how to prevent that from happening again.
Delete your save and redownload from steam cloud? I had a save get corrupted when my computer got turned off right at the end of a mission. I was able to get the steam cloud backup working just fine. I lost all my progress from that session, but it is better than losing everything.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Does the Air Raider get any non-explosive guns? I like playing him, but solo if any insect grabs me it's game over since I can't kill it without blowing myself up.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Does the Air Raider get any non-explosive guns? I like playing him, but solo if any insect grabs me it's game over since I can't kill it without blowing myself up.

Limpet Splendors aren't really explosive and even if you get tagged with a couple shards, they don't really hurt like they do giant bugs.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

To add to that, Limpet snipers are generally safe if you place your shots well, since they have such a small AOE. Flipside, if you don't place your shots well, you one shot yourself.

That said, the real way to break out of a bug grab as Air Raider is to call in Whale :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

To add to that, Limpet snipers are generally safe if you place your shots well, since they have such a small AOE. Flipside, if you don't place your shots well, you one shot yourself.

That said, the real way to break out of a bug grab as Air Raider is to call in Whale :black101:

Or drop a turret