Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Modern man tends to forget about the chaos and death aspect of nature. The beauty of nature is largely a invention of the Romantics. Romantics could afford to see the beauty in nature since nature was not as much of a threat to them as it had been to their ancestors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjjnZvtwtqA

Pre-Romantic people looked at this landscape and saw a ugly barren wasteland:

Because to them natural beauty was a question of utility. Green fields are beautiful because you can grow food and graze animals on them. Something like that was not beautiful because it could not sustain life. We can't really not see it as beautiful because we do not live of the land and the Romantic ideas of natural = good, beautiful and noble are such a integral part of our culture and world view.

See whenever I express this sentiment, people start accusing me of being a budding supervillain. It's frustrating, I tells ya.

e: Although I suppose I should admit that I do see the aesthetic beauty of that image. I can't help myself. You can take the cynic out of the cultural background but you can't take the cultural background out of the cynic.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

Modern man tends to forget about the chaos and death aspect of nature.

Chaos reigns.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Similarly in Scotland elements of highland culture, which was more Celtic, only really began entering the culture of the largely Anglicized lowland Scots once the unruly highlanders had been utterly crushed. Since they were no longer threatening they could be safely romanticized. They were not longer the scary rebels but tragic heroes who had lost their battle. After that watered down versions of various highland customs could be picked up by lowlanders and integrated into the general Scottish culture. Something similar went down in the Americas with Native Americans.

You can also apply this to Antichrist in terms of its appreciation of psychoanalysis and radical feminism. When He rebukes She for coming to the conclusion that women are naturally, essentially pre-disposed to evil, it's because this ultimate reversal of her critical thesis actually undermines the new hegemony of secular, post-countercultural, liberal patriarchy; which takes for granted that, of course, the reason gynocidal persecution was wrong is because witchcraft doesn't 'objectively exist' and those poor women were all 'innocent.'

What doesn't occur to him is, of course, that patriarchy stands in for the banal cruelty of 'nature.' Witch-hunts were not misguided 'mania,' but lucid and deliberate actions in order to enforce social control and, in a way, to colonize and appropriate femininity at a cultural level.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Romantic period is also where we got a lot of the spiritualism in art and horror. It was also the period where cosmic horror and man's place was questioned in the universe.

Romantic period is really interesting period.

I mean during that same period we also got the concept of nihilism.

I mean it was the period where horror was basically given birth in a artistic sense.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 26, 2016

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Re-watched the first Saw movie the other night, and I have to say it's held up really well. Really good thriller with just enough gore to make it interesting. I think the first 3 Saw movies make a really good trilogy, after that they are hit or miss. There's something great about the traps and the crazy plot twists in between, but the first 3 take themselves much more seriously than the rest of the series, and the arch of those 3 end up nicely. The later ones are fun but it's more just to see how crazy the traps and plot twists get rather than being genuinely interested in the story.

Also started Stranger Things and was hooked on the first episode because the Seeds were playing in the background in one scene.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

InfiniteZero posted:

Chaos reigns.

So that's what the fox say

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
The Romantics idea of nature and our relation to it was more like a hosts relationship to its parasite. And so, this idea of a paradise where all our wants and needs are provided for as well as natural beauty was all there for our taking. This idea is inherently parasitic and on top of it, lies just as much in the idea of "separateness." They just transferred God to Nature, but it's the same concept at the end of the day. This is where new agers and hippies fall short, because they talk about being "spiritual" but all they do is replace God with "The Universe," as if it is something outside of them. They seek answers from The Universe, the same way a Christian seeks an answer from God. At their core they're the same. Just ask it nicely or in the right way, and it will give you what you want. This completely misses the point.

Also, I never understood this idea of something being "unnatural." Besides a couple Youtube channels, if it is possible then it's natural, whether it's GMOs or nuclear weapons.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 26, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I identify God as the universe and both of them as hostile. I guess a more enlightened view would be to think of it as an oroboros rather than a moloch, but that's not especially comforting to the tail.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Hollismason posted:

The Romantic period is also where we got a lot of the spiritualism in art and horror. It was also the period where cosmic horror and man's place was questioned in the universe.

Romantic period is really interesting period.

I mean during that same period we also got the concept of nihilism.

I mean it was the period where horror was basically given birth in a artistic sense.

It's my favorite period of literature. It was a time of immense social upheaval in Europe and those kinds of circumstances are often favorable to the arts. To tie this back to the earlier part of the conversation, some people at the time thought Napoleon was the Antichrist, literally.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

K. Waste posted:

The title comes from the original premise of the film being that She discovers that Satan, not God, created the world. When this plot leaked, von Trier re-tooled it into a film about 'gynocide.' That said, the term "antichrist" is still incredibly pertinent to the film, just as all themes of stark, existential contrast to the irrevocable truth of Christ factor into historical manifestations of witch hunts and persecutions. The film is very much a successor of the silent classic Haxan.

Thanks for breaking it down.

It's been 7 years since I've watched Antichrist and I'm not someone who ever gets the philosophical meaning out of the movies I watch.

The director's own battle with depression was built into the character "She."

FreudianSlippers posted:

Aside from Antichrist The VVitch is a horror film that portrays nature as something horrific with the witch as a personification of the forest.

The VVitch is way more literal than symbolic, but you're right, I agree that the general tone and feel of the movie is very similar to Antichrist.

InfiniteZero posted:

Chaos reigns.

Small touches like that talking CGI fox are what make Antichrist extremely creepy.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Has anyone watched the other two movies in Lars von Trier's Depression trilogy, Melancholia or Nymphomaniac Vol. I & II?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
They're both good.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I identify God as the universe and both of them as hostile. I guess a more enlightened view would be to think of it as an oroboros rather than a moloch, but that's not especially comforting to the tail.

Aye, but the tail is the snake. It just doesn't realize it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Noam Chomsky posted:

The Duffer Brothers, who created and direct Stranger Things, went to a private Christian university in Orange County, California. They got their first film deal the year they graduated from college - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_(2015_film) - and Stranger Things is the second thing they've directed.

I'll let you figure out why the rich kid is portrayed in a fairly positive way.

I absolutely love the show, though.

:stare: Oh boy, that explains a lot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

They're both good.

Nymphomaniac is just okay. Melancholia is great.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:stare: Oh boy, that explains a lot.

Now, they do claim to have grown up in Durham, North Carolina. So, I dunno. Would be interesting to know more about these guys.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/stranger-things-duffer-brothers-winona-ryder-kid-actors.html

quote:

We grew up in Durham, North Carolina, so really close to Duke University. We were in the middle of nowhere in Durham. We're right by, like, a tobacco farm. But we were in the suburbs and you had to go — you know, a five-minute walk and you're kind of in the middle of nowhere. Ten more minutes and you're at the railroad tracks. We didn't go to any summer camps because we just wanted to be making movies and telling stories. We started doing that very early on. Fourth grade, I think, was our first movie.

Maybe they're just that drat good. My classism may be bleeding over.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Melancholia struck such a miserable chord that I don't think I could ever watch it again. It made me so sad and that was what it was trying to do. Dunst is real good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Melancholia hit me really hard. Nymphomaniac honestly came off as silly, but in a way that is very von Trier to do twisted as hell send ups of genre movies. In this case the sexy French nymphet coming of age movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 26, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Maybe they're just that drat good. My classism may be bleeding over.

Well, I mean, it turns out having the luxuries of idle time, an education, and relatively little commercial pressure are also good (though not necessarily sufficient) conditions for artistic output. It's not these things that condemn the rich, but that these things are denied to others.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Glamorama26 posted:

Melancholia struck such a miserable chord that I don't think I could ever watch it again. It made me so sad and that was what it was trying to do. Dunst is real good.

If you haven't watched Fargo Season 2 you should check it out if only for her performance which is stellar.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Scott Dereckson is also super Christian. It's not that weird to be a fundamental Christian or a Christian and really he into horror films. A lot of your favorite horror director's are also very Christan.

I'd actually argue that a majority of horror has Christian imagery and influence. Most horror films can be seen as a Christian allegory.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 26, 2016

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Agreed. Melancholia killed my soul a bit. Amazing movie.

As for Nymphomaniac, the real indulgent excess in that film was Von Trier's. He tried way too hard. That said, the threesome scene where the two guys are arguing and basically oblivious to Gainsbourg was amusing. Maybe that says more about me than anything else? I don't know.

Lars Von Trier is a total loving rear end in a top hat which means he's very good at what he's doing and I'll give any of his films a chance. Also, if somebody wants to argue about which filmmakers are "artists", Von Trier is one of the first names that comes to mind.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 26, 2016

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Noam Chomsky posted:

The Duffer Brothers, who created and direct Stranger Things, went to a private Christian university in Orange County, California. They got their first film deal the year they graduated from college - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_(2015_film) - and Stranger Things is the second thing they've directed.

I'll let you figure out why the rich kid is portrayed in a fairly positive way.

I absolutely love the show, though.

The role was originally much more typical bad-boyfriend-jock before they met the actor and retooled Steve to have more nuance.

I like the show's treatment of him, personally. He's a horny teen but he respects Nancy's boundaries, he's extremely aggressive to Jonathan but in a way that makes sense given the circumstances, he's selfish but recognizes it in himself and tries to make up for it, and he ditches his rear end in a top hat friends when he can tell he doesn't want to be like them any more. He's not a great guy or anything, he's an rear end in a top hat teenager in the process of growing out of it into a more well-rounded adult, same as Nancy (who's mostly horrible to her family for the majority of the season).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think my thing with Von Trier is that he has a great, sick sense of humor but when he's trying to be "ha ha" funny it doesn't work at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think my thing with Von Trier is that he has a great, sick sense of humor but when he's trying to be "ha ha" funny it doesn't work at all.

All truly great humor comes from misery and conflict, but the reaction of most people who aren't depressives is to be confused and not even realize that that's humor.

e: I'm kind of talking out my rear end here, I haven't even seen Antichrist, but I gather I should.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Like the old saying goes, comedy is when something bad happens to you and tragedy is when it happens to me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I sorta agree but the ha-ha funny parts of Melancholia were my favorite parts

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What's the best intro to Von Trier movies?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

What's the best intro to Von Trier movies?

Breaking the Waves

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember finding anything funny in Dogville or Anti-Christ.

Nympho Vol. 1 was pretty funny, though. Especially Uma. I never got around to Vol. 2, which is when poo poo gets mean-spirited, apparently.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Breaking the Waves

My God the plot synopsis sounds dire.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

yeah well welcome to Von Trier I guess

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

You wanted an intro to Lars Von Trier, there it is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly I'd say Dancer in the Dark is probably his most accessible movie, not Breaking the Waves

it's still, y'know, depressing as all holy gently caress but it's the only Von Trier I haven't violently hated

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dancer in the Dark's fantastic, but it's a musical starring Bjork so those are going to be nails on a chalkboard for some people before you even get to the Von Trier aspects of it.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I wanna see a moody Von Trier vampire film.

The plot synopsis is dire: the films of Lars von Trier

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Franchescanado posted:

I don't remember finding anything funny in Dogville or Anti-Christ.
The introductory set piece in Antichrist (2009) is one of the funniest scenes ever produced by self-conscious arthouse film.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Let me get this straight:

Any movie that involves redacted is the bees knees with all internet movie fans, right?

Possession, Breaking Waves, and Hellraiser #1.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 27, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

The introductory set piece in Antichrist (2009) is one of the funniest scenes ever produced by self-conscious arthouse film.

The slow motion black and white penetration shot while the child dies, set to moody orchestral music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

SubG posted:

You're a horrible person.