Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/25/sega-to-release-the-retro-mega-drive-console-and-we-cant-cope-6028228/

Well then. Sega is just going balls to the walls with the retro comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Those things have been out for a while. They're garbage.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I can't wait to play my Mega Drive on the tube.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Best:
Sonic CD
S&K3
Sonic 2
Generations
Colors
Sonic 1
Adventure 1
Adventure 2
All-Star Racing Transformed

Middling:
Heroes
Chaotix
Unleashed
Rush
Spinball

Worst:
Lost World
Sonic 4
Sonic '06
Chronicles

Anything Else: Didn't Play

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think I mostly agree, except I'd have to throw the Adventures in Middling, maybe bumping up Rush and Rush Adventure to Compensate.

I also end up playing Spinball almost yearly, but I still take forever to beat it every time.

E: Actually, I'd also put Lost World in middling, personally. I liked it quite a bit, but it could have been way better.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed is so fuckin good and better than it has any right to be

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Also I was asking about just your fav special stages! :) fav Sonics are good too

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I liked Super Mario Sonic Galaxy... I mean Lost World though. :smith:

It's pretty divisive from what I've seen though so I get that it's not everyone's thing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic Heroes is a better game Lost World. The idea was good on paper but the team just isn't skilled enough to deliver on that kind of endeavour.

Makes you appreciate more how seamlessly excellent the SMGs are imo!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/HunterBridges/status/758008405231403008

Click on it and read the whole tweet chain. A rundown of what happened with the stream by the person in charge of it

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

beep by grandpa posted:

Also I was asking about just your fav special stages! :) fav Sonics are good too

Most of those didn't make a mark on me.

Amazing tier:
S3&K

Good:
Generations (admittedly barely counts because the "special stages" were just bosses)

Middling:
Sonic CD (It would be up one or even two tiers if the depth perception and collision detection wasn't so wonky)
Sonic 1-derived stages
Sonic 2-derived stages, and Sonic 2 with sonic/tails alone (Some may be better or worse, for instance, Sonic Heroes is much better)

Bad:
Sonic 2 with tails following, making it require more rings is inexcusable

Not reviewed:
Knuckles Chaotix -- I haven't played it in a long time, given a video, they look like they have promise, but the choppiness and clipping issues really make them problematic
Sonic Lost World 3DS -- haven't played it
Any form of special stage not mentioned

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 26, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Holy poo poo, that night must've been insane. Props to them for keeping the production going as well as they could to deal with all of that.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic Lost World 3DSs special stages use full gyro meaning that you have to stand up and spin around or use a swivel chair to play them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jsor posted:

Good:
Generations (admittedly barely counts because the "special stages" were just bosses)

I just tried playing Generations again to see if I could get the time attack achievement. Nope. On both PC and PS3, on multiple installs and internet connections, the game has never uploaded a single time attack time for me. The achievement is lost to me forever.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I just tried playing Generations again to see if I could get the time attack achievement. Nope. On both PC and PS3, on multiple installs and internet connections, the game has never uploaded a single time attack time for me. The achievement is lost to me forever.

I think it's just broken period. I'm missing the time attack achievement and the one for beating time eater without getting hit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

me when i saw the sonic mania trailer for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHEZ9TzbBmE

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

me in general

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ_KLOclwSQ

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

beep by grandpa posted:

Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed is so fuckin good and better than it has any right to be

If only everyone got worthwhile DLC instead of only the PC getting Hazuki, a few promtional racers and...that other character.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm gonna rank the special stages for the mainline sanic games I've played, hope I didn't miss any:

#1 knuckles chaotix's scary acid trip
#2 sonic CD's gently caress UFOs
#3 sonic 3's collect blue spheres
#4 sonic heroes run down a loving tube with great music
#5 sonic 3d blast (Saturn ver) run down a loving tube again with awesome music
#6 sonic 1's scary acid trip
#7 sonic 4 ep2's run down a loving tube but easier
#8 sonic 4 ep1's significantly less scary bbq acid trip

-

#99 sonic 2's impossible w/o rote memorization run down a loving tube. I've done it legitimately I think twice in my life and it stresses me out the entire time

I realized while writing this some of them are higher on the list just cause I can do them more consistently. The only one I can absolutely do 100% of the time is s3&k but man I remember Chaotix's and CD's being super fun and different. gently caress sonic 2.

look at this rear end in a top hat forgetting Colors DS's pretty OK run down a loving tube and Colors Wii's '21 more levels with optional coop'

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So the greatest shame is that no one made any great clips from this event (at least none of my very favorite moment)
http://i.imgur.com/UaEYrzL.webm
http://i.imgur.com/mpWXTqB.webm
Here's an av.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Ventana posted:

Every Sonic CD level is way too huge and winding and confusing to go through for it's own good, and what's worse is that most of them are just frustrating to go through within the confines of their own normal paths. Quartz Quandrant, Wacky Workbench (especially this one), Collision Chaos, these levels are all much more of a pain than going through any normal path of an Advance 3 level.

playing through a cd level holding on to 50 rings: okay
exploring a cd level to find the robot maker: good
exploring a cd level to find the robot maker, going to the good future to listen to the chill af music, and holding on to 50 rings: godlike

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

El Mido posted:

playing through a cd level holding on to 50 rings: okay
exploring a cd level to find the robot maker: good
exploring a cd level to find the robot maker, going to the good future to listen to the chill af music, and holding on to 50 rings: godlike

I mean once you get to the good future there aren't badniks anymore, so seems fine?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Xad posted:

I mean once you get to the good future there aren't badniks anymore, so seems fine?

I'm pretty sure the number of badniks is just drastically reduced. I'm not horribly familiar with exactly which ones stay around, but I've definitely seen enemies in good futures, they're just much more rare.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Let's rank the poo poo that matters: The Game Gear Sonic games!

Great Tier:
Sonic The Hedgehog 1 - Bridge Zone and Jungle Zone for life.

Good Tier:
Sonic Chaos - Fun, but short and easy.
Tails Adventure - Surprisingly fun metroidvania

Awful Tier:
Sonic Blast - ugly sprites, bad stages

Nack Tier:
Sonic Triple Trouble - Nack's in it.

gently caress The Underground Zone Boss Tier:
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - No, seriously. gently caress the Underground Zone Boss.

What were they thinking? Tier:
Everything else.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Sonic 8bit games are pretty cool if they're the Master System versions. It's a shame that they don't rerelease those versions more often.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My first console game growing up was Sonic 2 for Game Gear. This explains more about me than I'd like to admit.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

My first console game growing up was Sonic 2 for Game Gear. This explains more about me than I'd like to admit.

Oh the game gear. Pretty sure that thing boosted energizers stock by a few points all by itself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The Antlion probably took me more time to beat than the rest of the game combined. Emulators don't capture how invisible its projectiles were. The invisibility of them also meant the method of beating that boss was completely opaque.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dabir posted:

look at this rear end in a top hat forgetting Colors DS's pretty OK run down a loving tube and Colors Wii's '21 more levels with optional coop'

With levels based on Sonic 1 levels, no less.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
#4 Digimetal Crisis - Faseeh Deen ft. EXShad, MrSonic699, Madeline Ross
Sonic 4 - Metal Sonic's Theme, Sonic 2016 - Crisis City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YAfcO3Hfio

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Should we just make a new general Sonic thread?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think we should, the stench of sonic boom should be left behind as we ascend to a new plane of existence & being

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

We have entered the Sonic renaissance my friends

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Which will last exactly until the new games come out and they end up being bad.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can make the new OP tomorrow if nobody else wants to.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Jsor posted:

I'm pretty sure the number of badniks is just drastically reduced. I'm not horribly familiar with exactly which ones stay around, but I've definitely seen enemies in good futures, they're just much more rare.

The only things that stick around are bombs and spike traps. All of the badniks disappear in the past as well so there's almost no reason to go to the present unless you know a faster path that can't be taken in the past like this metallic madness 2 route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0v49VaEeA&t=1581s

It's kind of weird that the present becomes the most dangerous place once you destroy the robot teleporters and both the past and future are clean.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I really wish that you could make the firefly badniks in metallic madness 3 cease to exist with a good future too

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

a sonic boom, one can say.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jsor posted:

I can make the new OP tomorrow if nobody else wants to.

Do it, it's time for the new sonic thread for the new sonic game, just like the old sonic thread for the old sonic game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why did they name it Sonic 'Boom'?

• Locked thread