Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Images for the lesser warlocks -> full warlocks are starting to filter out, apparently. Here's Fyanna, she's looking p. cool! :toot:

ranbo das posted:

Oh ok this makes range a lot worse than I thought it was. The guy was buying 4 shots on every mech with a ranged shot every turn. Still need to figure out how to get around the riflemen who can shoot through the choir and cripple mechs. I assume repair bot lets you remove any damage box?

Also sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, this guy is the only person I've played against and apparently he doesn't really know the rules and if I play against other people I want to know how to actually play.

:stare:

If this guy is really doing what it sounds like, he's intentionally or unintentionally blatantly cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

If this guy is really doing what it sounds like, he's intentionally or unintentionally blatantly cheating.

Also, if he's an experienced player and he's playing Caine2 into somebody for one of their first three games ever he's a total dick.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

ranbo das posted:

The guy was buying 4 shots on every mech with a ranged shot every turn.

haha holy poo poo I should play with these 'rules' and start taking destroyers.

Anyways, do you own your Battlebox? (the new one)? It comes with a full rulebook that's half-sized, and is very convenient for looking up rules on the fly. It also has an index at the back that actually works and it's never taken me more than 45 seconds to pull up the rule clarification I need. You should have that on hand at all times!

ranbo das posted:

I assume repair bot lets you remove any damage box?

Yeah, repairing lets you pick and choose the damage boxes to remove. It also helps a ton that Menoth has the cheapest, and probably most effective for its' points, repair model in the game!

If you're still having trouble being shot off the table after you get your friend to start playing by the rules, I suggest picking up a unit of Daughters of the Flame. They're really fast, hard to score hits on, and are incredibly effective at tying up shooting units in melee.

Or you could go the other route and give buddy a taste of his own poo poo. Buy up a Redeemer (light warjack) and give it some damage buffs (marshall, choir, certain casters) and crap out 3 long range, high damage shots every turn.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
No, play The New Fatty (Malekus) with 3 Vanquishers and pump out 12 fully buffed, feated shots with them. That will make him check the rule book.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
ranbo das you should really watch this.

https://youtu.be/nGJqSUoJscU

It's 45 minutes long but it goes through all the major gameplay mechanics and should give you a good start at playing the game properly.

Get your friend to watch it too.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

dexefiend posted:

No, play The New Fatty (Malekus) with 3 Vanquishers and pump out 12 fully buffed, feated shots with them. That will make him check the rule book.

But then you'd have to field Malekus which is the ultimate admission of defeat for a menoth player.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gannyGrabber posted:

But then you'd have to field Malekus which is the ultimate admission of defeat for a menoth player.

Malekus doesn't seem that bad :confused:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
If his feat let you shoot your warjack guns 4 times each, he would be the most powerful caster in the game.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Iron Crowned posted:

Malekus doesn't seem that bad :confused:

He's a feat with legs. :sad:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

gannyGrabber posted:

haha holy poo poo I should play with these 'rules' and start taking destroyers.

Anyways, do you own your Battlebox? (the new one)? It comes with a full rulebook that's half-sized, and is very convenient for looking up rules on the fly. It also has an index at the back that actually works and it's never taken me more than 45 seconds to pull up the rule clarification I need. You should have that on hand at all times!

Yeah, repairing lets you pick and choose the damage boxes to remove. It also helps a ton that Menoth has the cheapest, and probably most effective for its' points, repair model in the game!

If you're still having trouble being shot off the table after you get your friend to start playing by the rules, I suggest picking up a unit of Daughters of the Flame. They're really fast, hard to score hits on, and are incredibly effective at tying up shooting units in melee.

Or you could go the other route and give buddy a taste of his own poo poo. Buy up a Redeemer (light warjack) and give it some damage buffs (marshall, choir, certain casters) and crap out 3 long range, high damage shots every turn.

I have a battle box sitting at my FLGS with my name on it which I'm gonna grab this week. I also have a RL friend who is awesome and is gonna teach me to play (hopefully properly) and paint my minis which should be fun.

Also I really don't know whether he's blatantly cheating on purpose or if its him only ever playing with his one friend, so a misunderstood rule becomes "the way you play the game" for him. I played in a big regional tournament in Star Wars Armada and there was a group of like six guys who all road tripped down to the tourney who had basic rules wrong because apparently their entire game store played that way and no one bothered to double check the rule book.

Friendly Fire posted:

ranbo das you should really watch this.

https://youtu.be/nGJqSUoJscU

It's 45 minutes long but it goes through all the major gameplay mechanics and should give you a good start at playing the game properly.

Get your friend to watch it too.

I am definitely doing this, thanks!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also if you're just starting out play just battlebox games for a while. It's been long enough since I played that I'm essentially a new player and it makes it so much easier when I only have a couple of dudes to worry about, all of whom I become familiar with quickly, while I work on internalizing actual mechanics. I can't imagine trying to play a real army right out the gate

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Is the MK2 starter set a good purchase if you're looking to get into both Khador and Menoth? I'm not quite ready to drop another $100 on the game yet but they are the two coolest factions to me right now (I like the fluff of Menoth and the whole heavily-armored stompy robots of khador) and since it looks like it's gonna be replaced with two factions I don't really care about at the end of the summer I figure that might be my next purchase after the Khador and Menoth battle boxes. I know apparently they sell upgrade kits for jacks too, is there anyone I should be upgrading from that box?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

That is seriously the best art I've ever seen for this game.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ranbo das posted:

Is the MK2 starter set a good purchase if you're looking to get into both Khador and Menoth? I'm not quite ready to drop another $100 on the game yet but they are the two coolest factions to me right now (I like the fluff of Menoth and the whole heavily-armored stompy robots of khador) and since it looks like it's gonna be replaced with two factions I don't really care about at the end of the summer I figure that might be my next purchase after the Khador and Menoth battle boxes. I know apparently they sell upgrade kits for jacks too, is there anyone I should be upgrading from that box?

Menoth is also big stompy robots as a faction element, BTW. They aren't as good as the Khador ones, but are bargin basement priced. As far as the two player box goes, the jacks are all at least okay, and both the medium infantry units (Man O Wars/Cinerators) got much better this edition.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I want a new junior for Cryx that's like some cross between Coven and Legion's cauldron.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

So I had the Khador from the old 2 player set with Menoth, Butcher and dog and a bunch of winterguard dudes with Joe. Is the winterguard + trappings still viable in MK3? Its been too long since I bought some miniatures and now I'm wondering whether to build up my Khador or buy the MK3 2 player set.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

nopantsjack posted:

So I had the Khador from the old 2 player set with Menoth, Butcher and dog and a bunch of winterguard dudes with Joe. Is the winterguard + trappings still viable in MK3? Its been too long since I bought some miniatures and now I'm wondering whether to build up my Khador or buy the MK3 2 player set.

They aren't as crazy as they used to be but they're still good, yes. They're a little more caster specific than before but they're fine for the points.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Tristan2 looks pretty sweet.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I really just want to know if the GenCon boxes are going to be exclusive sculpts or not because if they are I will absolutely have my friends pick me up that Tristan model. Goddamn that's pretty. I'd also really like them to just announce the price. Mostly I'm an entitled man-baby who wants new toys noooooooow.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rantmo posted:

I really just want to know if the GenCon boxes are going to be exclusive sculpts or not because if they are I will absolutely have my friends pick me up that Tristan model. Goddamn that's pretty. I'd also really like them to just announce the price. Mostly I'm an entitled man-baby who wants new toys noooooooow.

They are going to be on the PP store, so your friends don't have to pick them up if you are willing to pay a few bucks shipping. Unless it is convenient for them.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

nopantsjack posted:

WinterGuard Infantry are more now of a chaff unit as they always should have been instead of some sort of swiss army knife. Winter Guard Rifelmen with Joe and rocketeers are now more of a thing.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

They are going to be on the PP store, so your friends don't have to pick them up if you are willing to pay a few bucks shipping. Unless it is convenient for them.

Well sure, if I wanted to be sensible about things.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Khisanth Magus posted:

Tristan2 looks pretty sweet.

Tristan is gonna be hella rad.

Have there been any spoilers for Andy yet? I saw the key art for him which was wicked sick and I am excited to see if the model turn out well.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

gannyGrabber posted:

Have there been any spoilers for Andy yet? I saw the key art for him which was wicked sick and I am excited to see if the model turn out well.

They are doing an insider each day covering the art and model of each new caster. So far we have Jake's and Tristan.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Tristan's got Manifest Destiny. That is going to be pretty sick in Menoth - imagine it coupled with Future SIght on gun jacks.

http://privateerpressforums.com/sho...l=1#post3626398

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

xiw posted:

Tristan's got Manifest Destiny. That is going to be pretty sick in Menoth - imagine it coupled with Future SIght on gun jacks.

That is pretty bonkers in menoth.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

gannyGrabber posted:

Sweet, m bison

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I have been informed Manifest Destiny is melee-only. Nowhere near as bonkers! Oh well.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

xiw posted:

What does Manifest Destiny do, other than destroy the ecosystem of the western US?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rantmo posted:

What does Manifest Destiny do, other than destroy the ecosystem of the western US?

Additional attack and damage die on melee attacks for your BG, drop the lowest.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

xiw posted:

I have been informed Manifest Destiny is melee-only. Nowhere near as bonkers! Oh well.

Choir + manifest destiny= super ouch

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That sounds splendid, yes.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I kind of want to play Menoth?!?

gently caress

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

gently caress

and people give me a hard time, look at this loving jobber

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean I'm already a dbag for playing the incredibly OP trolls

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What happens when you combine Future Sight and Manifest Destiny? Can you roll your 3d6 then decide to boost before dropping lowest and instead drop the boosted die if it's the new lowest die?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Magres posted:

What happens when you combine Future Sight and Manifest Destiny? Can you roll your 3d6 then decide to boost before dropping lowest and instead drop the boosted die if it's the new lowest die?

Yes.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Halp goons. I only win journeyman games with Agathia when I make some kind of Rube Goldberg jank that involves throws, slams, and drags.

I've lost 5+ games where I get on the other caster where I have a full stack and they are flat footed and can't loving close.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Beautiful.

lokipunk posted:

Halp goons. I only win journeyman games with Agathia when I make some kind of Rube Goldberg jank that involves throws, slams, and drags.

I've lost 5+ games where I get on the other caster where I have a full stack and they are flat footed and can't loving close.

The best assassinations always involve Rube Goldberg jank. Embrace it! No seriously, convoluted assassinations that come at you in weird ways are harder to see coming. Like most of my Rahn assassinations involve two casts of Telekinesis, a Force Hammer, and a sacrificial goat piece to force hammer in the back. Run piece out, walk Rahn out, feat, TK something as needed, Force Hammer your own thing in the back over their caster, TK their caster out of position, and introduce it to the HSBM pain elevator as you pull their caster across the board to die to your other pieces.

Also if your assassination doesn't involve a throw/slam to knock down the enemy caster and you can find a way to make it include something like that, always make it include something like that. Particularly if you can slam your own thing over their caster, if they don't have Steady it's a fairly foolproof way to negate their DEF stat.

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Fyrbrand posted:

gently caress

I kinf og want to play very faction sooo...