Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

Hrvstmn31 posted:

This came in, I finally got tired of using double sided razors.

I wonder at what number will manufacturers stop adding blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Fozaldo posted:

I wonder at what number will manufacturers stop adding blades.

Once people undestand that you pay more just for a gimmick.

Two of those.

If they fit and work well I hope to have a much cooler bedroom and office in the evening.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

Two of those.

If they fit and work well I hope to have a much cooler bedroom and office in the evening.

MORE FANS

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
MORE FAN BLADES

colas
Feb 14, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

Two of those.

drat, I bet that can run games in 4k 300fps

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

KingColliwog posted:

Two of those.

SLI just isn't worth it to me.

Where'd you get that fan? I need a better blowing fan for my office when I'm working at home.)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

ArmZ posted:

MORE FANS

SpartanIV posted:

MORE FAN BLADES

colas posted:

quote:

SLI just isn't worth it to me.

:derp: should replace one side of my computer case with it for maximum effect

big mean giraffe posted:

Where'd you get that fan? I need a better blowing fan for my office when I'm working at home.)

Amazon. The window opening in my apartment are small and we're on the highest floor. Weather gets stupid hot in the summer, but most nights it's comfortable outside so I'm hoping these will make the bedroom sleepable and the office livable. Picked this model because it was the smallest ones I could find that looked like they could actually make a difference. It has mixed review, but it seems mostly due to poor quality control so I figured buying from amazon I wouldn't risk much and they would be easy to get refunded/replaced if they are not great.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Jul 25, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

I for real thought the thumbnail was a graphics card at first glance.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I wanted to get into electronics a bit. So I got myself an arduino kit way back.

Then I thought, "hey, this is pretty fun. I should get myself an oscilloscope while I'm at it." :science:

I have no idea if this thing is any good or not, but it gets the job done. :shobon:

Megabound posted:

How big is your collection, do you have more pictures? I love old calculators, when I get a grad position I'd love to own some myself.

I have a fair few already. Lemme get some examples.
1. 2. 3.
  1. Curta standing atop my Hamann Manus R. Both own. The Hamann does division automatically and is my go-to desktop calculator.

2. Walther WSR-160. (yes, the Walther that makes guns)

3. Cellatron R44 SM. Fully automatical mechanical calculator. Posted it earlier in this thread. Cameo by a partially dismantled Friden STW-10.
    (video of it calculating the best thing in the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op6jho-KJbo )
Assorted albums:
https://imgur.com/a/2kAmo
https://imgur.com/a/9Zh7S
https://imgur.com/a/plC71

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Spy_Guy posted:

Then I thought, "hey, this is pretty fun. I should get myself an oscilloscope while I'm at it." :science:

I have no idea if this thing is any good or not, but it gets the job done. :shobon:

I have that scope at work and used the crap out of it when it was new. It was my primary scope for several years and my travel scope after that. It is a really solid piece of equipment, though it doesn't sample very fast by modern standards. It has all the features of a similar age benchtop scope, and the interface isn't bad at all considering the lack of knobs. Once you get the menus down, you can really fly through settings changes.

Also, that calculator is really cool.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

KingColliwog posted:

Two of those.

:hfive:

I just bought a fan to cool down my bedroom as well!

...and everything else in a 2500 square foot radius

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I've never heard of a "whole house fan", where does that go? Do most houses have that or like just one in the attic?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

colas posted:

I've never heard of a "whole house fan", where does that go? Do most houses have that or like just one in the attic?

My house had one growing up. They're not super common, but they work really well. Ours was located at the top of the stairwell, where hot air tends to collect. It blows the warm air out through vents in the roof, causing cooler air to come in through the doors and windows. Nice way to cool down the house without using nearly as much electricity as A/C.

I'm guessing they're not more popular because they're fairly architecture-dependent -- if you don't have a tall ceiling where hot air will funnel to, it won't work as well. Also, if you already have central air, then you might not see the point.

But yeah, it's basically a giant box fan that blows hot air out of your house.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Spy_Guy posted:

[*]Walther WSR-160. (yes, the Walther that makes guns)

Just like the IBM that made calculators also made guns (like my M1 carbine) in WWII.

beefnoodle has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Jul 25, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

beefnoodle posted:

Just like the IBM that made calculators also made guns (like my M1 carbine) in WWII.

Lots of large companies retooled for war production as WW2 was spinning up.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Wiki says Hugo Boss went from filling bankruptcy to doing fine as well!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That, and in the old days manufacturing skills weren't particularly specialized so if you could make a mechanical calculator you could also make a gun, or a sewing machine, bicycles or any other number of metal consumer goods.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

OSU_Matthew posted:

:hfive:

I just bought a fan to cool down my bedroom as well!

...and everything else in a 2500 square foot radius

That's a pretty cool thing. How loud do they get though? Like if you're in the room closest to where it is is it super annoying?

I wonder if they would work in colder climate like canada since it could be a nice way for the cold to get inside during the winter unless they have some cool insulated covers for them. I hope I remember their existence when I finally can manage to buy a home, because they would probably be sufficient for our type of summer heat up north.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Jul 25, 2016

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Attic fans are the poo poo. Plan on getting one when I own a house.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

beefnoodle posted:

IBM's calculators were responsible for more deaths than their guns.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Spy_Guy posted:

I wanted to get into electronics a bit. So I got myself an arduino kit way back.

I have a fair few already. Lemme get some examples.
1. 2. 3.
  1. Curta standing atop my Hamann Manus R. Both own. The Hamann does division automatically and is my go-to desktop calculator.

2. Walther WSR-160. (yes, the Walther that makes guns)

3. Cellatron R44 SM. Fully automatical mechanical calculator. Posted it earlier in this thread. Cameo by a partially dismantled Friden STW-10.
    (video of it calculating the best thing in the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op6jho-KJbo )
Assorted albums:
https://imgur.com/a/2kAmo
https://imgur.com/a/9Zh7S
https://imgur.com/a/plC71

I picked up an Original Odhner model 127 from 1952 at the salvation army yesterday! It's CAKED in poo poo, this is a picture after a tiny bit of cleaning. The mechanism works super smooth though. I've never owned anything like this before, so I'm super fascinated!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Aramek posted:

Wiki says Hugo Boss went from filling bankruptcy to doing fine as well!

:ohdear:

KingColliwog posted:

That's a pretty cool thing. How loud do they get though? Like if you're in the room closest to where it is is it super annoying?

I wonder if they would work in colder climate like canada since it could be a nice way for the cold to get inside during the winter unless they have some cool insulated covers for them. I hope I remember their existence when I finally can manage to buy a home, because they would probably be sufficient for our type of summer heat up north.

They'd be perfect for Canada since you guys have such large temperature swings like the US. They can be pretty loud right next to one (think of a wind tunnel that's capable of slamming doors, but the idea is you run it for a few minutes to an hour or two in the evening or morning, and exchange all the hot air inside the house and attic, which depending on your house, should keep it pretty cool throughout the day. They're not for everyone, but if you have a second story on your house, holy crap they cool far better than AC. Instead of just blowing around the hot air near the ceiling, they get rid of it.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

No pic 'cuz it's a simple rectangle about the size of an Apple TV, but thanks to whoever recommended the Edge Router X. My old Dlink home router/WiFi wouldn't hang with the 150Mb cable, but it hangs fine just handing out WiFi while the router does its magic, and now the internet is screaming fast.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evobatman posted:

I picked up an Original Odhner model 127 from 1952 at the salvation army yesterday! It's CAKED in poo poo, this is a picture after a tiny bit of cleaning. The mechanism works super smooth though. I've never owned anything like this before, so I'm super fascinated!

I have a soviet-made one that looks just like this somewhere, from my grandma originally. I really need to find it and take it to the office - a colleague insists on using a desk calculator instead of calc.exe so it only makes sense to step up the game a bit.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Please make sure it's not atomic powered.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

mobby_6kl posted:

I have a soviet-made one that looks just like this somewhere, from my grandma originally. I really need to find it and take it to the office - a colleague insists on using a desk calculator instead of calc.exe so it only makes sense to step up the game a bit.

I did this at my old job with a remington rand electro-mechanical adding machine. The whole thing is mechanical but it was powered by a motor instead of rotating a crank manually.

I had a lovely company provided desk calculator that broke, so when my manager wouldn't expense me a new one I brought this 20 pound behemoth in.

Every time I did a calculation on it, cubicles that were 4 desks away from me would shake.

It was amazing, but I was quickly provided a traditional desk calculator.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Oddhair posted:

No pic 'cuz it's a simple rectangle about the size of an Apple TV, but thanks to whoever recommended the Edge Router X. My old Dlink home router/WiFi wouldn't hang with the 150Mb cable, but it hangs fine just handing out WiFi while the router does its magic, and now the internet is screaming fast.

You're welcome.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Decided to finally buy a serious soldering iron.

This little bastard doesn't screw around, that's for sure. I'm gonna solder so much poo poo. :black101:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I picked up a fish for my office.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dewgy posted:

Decided to finally buy a serious soldering iron.

This little bastard doesn't screw around, that's for sure. I'm gonna solder so much poo poo. :black101:

That's pretty neat. I just bought replacement tips on mine.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I went to a concert. I am a lucky, lucky motherfucker.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

fuuuuuuck youuuuu you lucky son of a bitch

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Already had the P229, needed the P226. Now I can dual wield shoot my left hand off

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Pre-ordered No Man's Sky from Amazon cause it's 20% off for prime members.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Pre-ordered No Man's Sky from Amazon cause it's 20% off for prime members.

I hope you have the option to get a refund on that

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

treiz01 posted:

I hope you have the option to get a refund on that

I prefer the 50% discount by just waiting a month or two post-release. Frequently I get a better version, too.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I prefer the 50% discount by just waiting a month or two post-release. Frequently I get a better version, too.

I try not to get hyped for games after I fell in love with the Division during its beta and bought the game + season pass

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

treiz01 posted:

I try not to get hyped for games after I fell in love with the Division during its beta and bought the game + season pass

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
RIP RIP RIP U BIG IDIOT

So did I :smith:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

strangemusic posted:

I went to a concert. I am a lucky, lucky motherfucker.

I'm driving up from Maryland to see them in Hamilton. Born and raised in Vancouver, I've loved them forever. I'm so excited. Devastated as to the reason for the tour, but ecstatic to see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

obi_ant posted:

Here. Cause they're fun? My foot is 92.8 degrees.

Bought this once I saw your post the other day. Arrived earlier and yes it is actually really fun getting temperatures of things