Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Clean images of those Young Animal slides http://www.newsarama.com/30355-dc-sdcc-2016-young-animal-preview-gallery.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Finally the return of Composite Superman we've all been waiting for.

(Yes I mean that seriously)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Three issues into the silver Age Justice League trade and I've noticed something I love. I'm guessing the writer had a science textbook* while writing them and uses little science facts whenever he can. I'm not talking about anything bombastic. More along the lines of starfish having a toxic reaction to lime. Or Amazo needing to get through Green Lantern's barrier in the ocean, so he notes that there is "six-tenths of an ounce of gold to every five million cubic feet of sea water" and then uses Flash's speed to coat himself in gold to get through.

*or more likely that the public education system was better in the early 20th Century than today.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Holy poo poo @ putting the Mary in Mary Marvel there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Tom Scioli loving rules and everyone should read Transformers vs GI Joe. I used to think he was just a decently interesting copycat of Kirby, but honestly, he's even better than the King.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

he's even better than the King.

You exist for people to argue with you, don't you?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I have an incredible respect for Kirby that cannot be understated but that doesn't mean I don't think the groundwork he lays can't be improved on.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Yeah, I, too like his work more than Tom King's.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Jack Kirby is a foundational artist who shaped everything we have today. That said, he's not an infallible God, and just because he was around then to shape things doesn't mean no artist can ever be better than him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Jack Kirby is a foundational artist who shaped everything we have today. That said, he's not an infallible God, and just because he was around then to shape things doesn't mean no artist can ever be better than him.

BANHAMMER incoming.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JoshTheStampede posted:

Jack Kirby not an infallible God,

WRONG

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Kirby was scrub tier. We all know McFarland is the God of comics now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Kirby was scrub tier. We all know McFarland is the God of comics now.

What is this? The 90s?

It's Greg Land now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Land is scrub tier.

You either scrub your eyes after reading one of his books or scrub the jizz off of the pages once you're done.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

i agree but this is not the forum to fight that battle in

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm still waiting on the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Cooke. :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

McFarlanE is the Spawn creator.

McFarlanD is the Family Guy creator.

I don't actually know who is worse.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

McFarlanE is the Spawn creator.

McFarlanD is the Family Guy creator.

I don't actually know who is worse.

No, he's a McFarlane too. Todd is just kind of a douche, how does he even approach the guy who gave the world "The Cleveland Show"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

No, he's a McFarlane too. Todd is just kind of a douche, how does he even approach the guy who gave the world "The Cleveland Show"?

Dang you're right!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
McFarland is what happens when Todd and Greg get in a teleporter accident.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure who DC's best Silver Age artist was.

Probably Infantino. I've really been enjoying this Silver Age Flash trade.

Infantino is a strong contender.

Other possibilities are Kurt Schaffenberger, Curt Swan, Gil Kane, Ramona Fradon, Ross Andru, Bruno Premiani, Joe Kubert, Nick Cardy, and probably some other really good ones I'm forgetting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So Neal Adams considered bronze age?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

So Neal Adams considered bronze age?
I'm pretty sure he fits in "some other really good ones I'm forgetting" because he's absolutely a silver age artist.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Benito Cereno posted:

Infantino is a strong contender.

Other possibilities are Kurt Schaffenberger, Curt Swan, Gil Kane, Ramona Fradon, Ross Andru, Bruno Premiani, Joe Kubert, Nick Cardy, and probably some other really good ones I'm forgetting.

For real, no one has to think RF is the absolute best, but I will fight someone with knives if they don't respect her work on Metamorpho.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/batman-writer-tom-king-reveals-batman-has-his-own-/1100-155872/

Huh

And also preview for Batgirl #1: http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/batgirl-1-dc-comics-2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The worst thing about double shipping and storylines coming in and concluding twice as fast is solicits and promotion getting that much further ahead. We haven't even started the Monster Men thing.

e: Even that image in there.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Bleeding Cool is claiming Geoff Johns has been promoted to President of DC

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/26/scoop-geoff-johns-is-now-president-as-well-as-chief-creative-officer-of-dc-entertainment/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dr. Manhattan's doing no doubt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Squizzle posted:

For real, no one has to think RF is the absolute best, but I will fight someone with knives if they don't respect her work on Metamorpho.

I will provide you with new knives when yours go dull, fellow Fradon booster.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Probably going to be the Outsiders.

I am down with this though as I wanted King to write the Suicide Squad anyway.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

Probably going to be the Outsiders.

If this means that one of the outsiders will die every issue of this storyline then bring it the gently caress on

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You know how the green lanterns ring can do a ton of stuff more than just constructs and only the bearers own lack of imagination or expectation of limitations limits that?

Well Geoff Johns wrote an issue where Hal Jordan wills him president of DC, and the brass had no choice but to go with it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like only David Tennant can compete with Geoff Johns for the title of "fanboy who has had all of his dreams fulfilled"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't like anything I can remember of Johns' stuff that I've read, and I am kind of perpetually grumpy about his sidelining Kyle and Wally for their shittier predecessors, but I can give him the benefit of the doubt and assume this isn't completely terrible.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

I don't like anything I can remember of Johns' stuff that I've read, and I am kind of perpetually grumpy about his sidelining Kyle and Wally for their shittier predecessors, but I can give him the benefit of the doubt and assume this isn't completely terrible.

It's not really good or bad since he was already a major influence on the creative direction of the company, I have a hard time seeing what this is going to change.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Do you read Unfollow? I'm pretty happy with Rob Williams.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm one of the few that honestly thinks that Johns' run on Teen Titans was about as good as the Wolfman/Perez-era, and I wish his run didn't get cut so short because it resulted in me wasting half a decade keeping up with that series out of the hope that a couple I liked got back together, only to then have the New 52 dropped on me right when they finally did.

He's overall a good writer, though I do think he tends to be very retcon happy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really liked Johns Flash and JSA. Was he the JSA run with Star Girl and Johnny Wish Kid or whatever?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Johns was decent writer a couple of years ago but all the loose ends he left spread all over the N52 and the constant decline in his JL has really soured me on the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

WickedHate posted:

You don't like anything you've read by Johns but you dislike that he sidelined Wally?

That seems kind of contradictory. It's hard to be a big Wally fan without atleast liking Johns' Wally books.