Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Shannow posted:

5x is also locked at 32gb. What's so lovely about the oneplus3? I've seen very few negatives in reviews beyond 'camera could be a bit better'.
The OP3 is a really great phone made by a company which has had some stupid missteps in the past. Phil @ AC just wrote a new article about it: http://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-3-second-opinion

This thread is mostly just an echo chamber of Nexus fans though so don't expect to hear anything positive about the OP3 here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

The OP3 is a really great phone made by a company which has had some stupid missteps in the past. Phil @ AC just wrote a new article about it: http://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-3-second-opinion

This thread is mostly just an echo chamber of Nexus fans though so don't expect to hear anything positive about the OP3 here.

Blatant sexism and disgusting manipulative marketing practice should not be glanced over as a "stupid misstep"......

I swear, goons will excuse anything.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

defend your purchase

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So with the 6P and 5X on sale with B&H, Amazon, and Google Play, how far do you think they'll drop when the 2016's drop?

Not going to lie, very tempted to pick up a 6P, but I know prices will come down even further the closer we get.

Edit: Did the previous generation get the price cuts this early?

JayKay fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 26, 2016

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Let's also not forget that part of the USB-C to A debacle was born out of everyone copying OnePlus' cables...which did not follow spec. No it's not OnePlus' fault that other mfgs were lazy and copied them, but they shouldn't have been breaking spec in the first place.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Tunga posted:

Off the top of my head: slow OS updates, out of spec USB cables, and a competition that encouraged forum posters to rate the attractiveness of female posters so they could win the chance to buy a phone.

It is a garbage company. Do not buy their garbage.

You know a phone has to be pretty good when two of the three biggest criticisms aren't even against the phone itself.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

And then OnePlus said they would refund (or replace?) people's cables they bought from them...but not the ones that came with their phones, because the phone and cable worked fine together, the problem was using the cable on things that weren't OnePlus made.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

CLAM DOWN posted:

Blatant sexism and disgusting manipulative marketing practice should not be glanced over as a "stupid misstep"......

Lol :qq: but the marketing is manipulative!

What marketing isn't? That's literally all marketing is about.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

beedeebee posted:

Show us your tits for an invitation to buy our phone, literally all marketing is about. But you're right, that is pretty inconsequential compared to their garbage quality control and customer support.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

beedeebee posted:

You're actually retarded.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

RVProfootballer posted:

Show us your tits for an invitation to buy our phone, literally all marketing is about. But you're right, that is pretty inconsequential compared to their garbage quality control and customer support.
Lol, that's not what I said at all.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're actually retarded.

This is though.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm always impressed that people forget that they were telling people to smash their pricey Samsung phones on video for a chance to get an invite to buy their (cheaper) phone or some nonsense.

When it comes down to it, the OnePlus phones generally seem to have to decent price to performance ratio, but holy poo poo their marketing and customer service don't deserve all the second chances they get.

It's not only goons that defend OnePlus though. If you go on /g/ you'll see the same thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know what /g/ is but it sounds like some 4chan poo poo which means it's wrong.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know what /g/ is but it sounds like some 4chan poo poo which means it's wrong.

It is, and you're right. Thinking that giving money to a company that makes as many mistakes as OnePlus is "OK" is in fact wrong. :smugdog:

e: forgot my smug emoticon

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 26, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trent Razor1911 posted:

You know a phone has to be pretty good when two of the three biggest criticisms aren't even against the phone itself.
I don't know anything about whether the phone is "good" because a phone made by a company like OnePlus cannot, by definition, form a good purchasing decision for me not matter what the device is.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I'm thinking about switching my carriers this fall because AT&T has been eating a fat rod for the last two months wrt download speed in my area (Suburban DC). I'm also considering switching to android as well

What's the most iPhone-like device I can get? I don't want to have to do a lot of stuff to get going? I've got a google play account but I'm hoping there's an app for transferring your itunes purchases over to android - can someone give me the link?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I'm hoping there's an app for transferring your itunes purchases over to android - can someone give me the link?

This is not a thing. Just stick with your iphone if you're worried about app purchases.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm thinking about switching my carriers this fall because AT&T has been eating a fat rod for the last two months wrt download speed in my area (Suburban DC). I'm also considering switching to android as well

What's the most iPhone-like device I can get? I don't want to have to do a lot of stuff to get going? I've got a google play account but I'm hoping there's an app for transferring your itunes purchases over to android - can someone give me the link?

An iPhone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What's the most iPhone-like device I can get?

A Nexus.

e: I'd probably advise you not to switch though.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The most iPhone-like device you can get is an iPhone. Alternatively, Huawei phones that aren't the Nexus 6P have a god-awful iOS-wannabe skin. So there's that.

As for transferring purchases, Google has no incentive to give you free stuff just because you paid Apple for it once upon a time. Music you've purchased from iTunes, if it's DRM free, can be uploaded to Google Play Music. Support link: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/4627259/?hl=en&authuser=0

What is it that makes you want to move from iOS to Android, yet keep everything as iPhone like as possible? Answering that may get you more useful responses.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/motorola-confirms-that-it-will-not-commit-to-monthly-security-patches/

quote:

"Motorola understands that keeping phones up to date with Android security patches is important to our customers. We strive to push security patches as quickly as possible. However, because of the amount of testing and approvals that are necessary to deploy them, it's difficult to do this on a monthly basis for all our devices. It is often most efficient for us to bundle security updates in a scheduled Maintenance Release (MR) or OS upgrade."

:negative:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

And yet somehow Samsung manages to do it just fine.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Got a refurb screen from amazon 'cause mine is cracked. Installed everything in the new screen because that's how nexus rolls.

New screen displays fine but touchscreen worketh not. Put cracked screen back and it works. Fuckin waste of an hour and a half.

Should I try the new screen again or just return it and try another one? Did I gently caress up or is the new screen just lovely?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Humerus posted:

The most iPhone-like device you can get is an iPhone. Alternatively, Huawei phones that aren't the Nexus 6P have a god-awful iOS-wannabe skin. So there's that.

As for transferring purchases, Google has no incentive to give you free stuff just because you paid Apple for it once upon a time. Music you've purchased from iTunes, if it's DRM free, can be uploaded to Google Play Music. Support link: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/4627259/?hl=en&authuser=0

What is it that makes you want to move from iOS to Android, yet keep everything as iPhone like as possible? Answering that may get you more useful responses.

That's a bummer, I feel like Google should extend an olive branch to acquire a consumer like myself.

Re: why switching - I am irritated that Apple isn't innovating on phones anymore and feel like the Android platform will have more cool things to play with. There are also several apps that cater to falconry (my hobby) that aren't available in "the walled garden"

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

kensei posted:

I was happy with the Turbo for a long time, but a carrier unlocked phone with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage beats it hands down.

How is the real world performance on the g4 plus compared to the Turbo? I know the GPU isn't great but some of the tech blog sites say it's slow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No one is innovating on phones. It's all just iterative releases now.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

pr0k posted:

Got a refurb screen from amazon 'cause mine is cracked. Installed everything in the new screen because that's how nexus rolls.

New screen displays fine but touchscreen worketh not. Put cracked screen back and it works. Fuckin waste of an hour and a half.

Should I try the new screen again or just return it and try another one? Did I gently caress up or is the new screen just lovely?

The digitizer is usually glued to the screen. Did what you buy have both?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

That's a bummer, I feel like Google should extend an olive branch to acquire a consumer like myself.

Re: why switching - I am irritated that Apple isn't innovating on phones anymore and feel like the Android platform will have more cool things to play with. There are also several apps that cater to falconry (my hobby) that aren't available in "the walled garden"
Upload your DRM free tracks to google play music (or just grab a red/all-access subscription and rebuild your playlists) and get a Nexus. You'll do fine.

But you'll also be re-buying any paid apps and need to get used to several different usage paradigms.

Phones are mostly done improving for the foreseeable future. The screens are gorgeous, the chipsets are plenty fast, there is plenty of storage and ram available, and the cameras are all well within the acceptable range. Even software is slowing down. The market is mature.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dawg, you can't just make a post like that and not tell us about all the sweet falconry apps we should be using.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I hope he didn't just see Falcon Pro and get confused.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

And yet somehow Samsung manages to do it just fine.

This is it. This is officially bizarro world, where we have switched from praising Motorola for being good at doing phone things and bitching about Samsung loving everything up, to bitching about Motorola failing and praising Samsung only sort of failing but not all the time.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
My brother just got an S7 and is looking for a glass screen protector. Any recommendations/links would be helpful

Also I got a 6P on prime day and it owns I'm glad I did

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

minusX posted:

Both can be true, getting a lot of spam blocked while still getting other important calls blocked.

Yes.

Obviously I meant that I wasn't getting important calls blocked...otherwise what would have been the point of posting.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Moto E3 specs are out and

http://www.latintimes.com/moto-e3-release-date-5-inch-entry-level-smartphone-launch-august-394153

quote:

The handset is rumored to come with a 5-inch display that has 720p screen resolution. Also, since it is an entry-level device, the Moto E3 will be powered by a 1GHz quad-core MediaTek processor.

In terms of camera technology, the smartphone will reportedly have a decent 8-megapixel back camera and a 5-megapixel front-facing snapper.

The Moto E3 is also expected to arrive with just 1GB of RAM and 8GB of internal memory. Since the latter is already small by today’s standard, Motorola has included a microSD card slot that can accommodate up to 32GB of additional memory, as noted by Slash Gear.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:rip:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
My friend has an aging Galaxy S4 and thinking about getting a new phone. Since he doesn't want a big phone or to spend a ton of money, I suggested the Nexus 5X. Looking at a comparison online, they don't actually appear all that different, but I don't really understand the practical differences in the processors and such.

I kind of just assumed the 5X would be a noticeable step up from the Galaxy S4. Can anyone confirm that? Is there a different phone he should be considering in that approximate size and price range?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

This is it. This is officially bizarro world, where we have switched from praising Motorola for being good at doing phone things and bitching about Samsung loving everything up, to bitching about Motorola failing and praising Samsung only sort of failing but not all the time.

I'm sure my opinions on Samsung are known by those in the thread and even I'd say that Samsung isn't half as lovely as it was three years ago. I doubt I'd ever buy one, but at this point my complaints about them boil down to the fact that they as a company suffer from acute me-tooism where they think they need to do whatever Google & Apple do but when they do it they do it wrongly and for the wrong reasons.

From a technical aspect they've improved leaps and bounds and from a support aspect they seem to be doing fine on at least their flagship devices (and I'd love for a Samsung follower to make a detailed post about how they do on their non-flagship products because I have no idea though I suspect badly). In terms of aesthetics and user experience they have some distance to travel but they've been moving in the right direction.

I'd also say that in their position they could be doing a lot more and doing it better, but that's a tough criticism to sell because hating them for what they aren't doing isn't really fair.

incogneato posted:

My friend has an aging Galaxy S4 and thinking about getting a new phone. Since he doesn't want a big phone or to spend a ton of money, I suggested the Nexus 5X. Looking at a comparison online, they don't actually appear all that different, but I don't really understand the practical differences in the processors and such.

I kind of just assumed the 5X would be a noticeable step up from the Galaxy S4. Can anyone confirm that? Is there a different phone he should be considering in that approximate size and price range?

That's what I'd recommend.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Considering the size of phone OSs nowadays, how much free space could even be left for anything with only 8 GB of storage? Assuming it's even possible, wouldn't apps immediately start complaining about not having enough free space as soon as you began doing, well, anything?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Considering the size of phone OSs nowadays, how much free space could even be left for anything with only 8 GB of storage? Assuming it's even possible, wouldn't apps immediately start complaining about not having enough free space as soon as you began doing, well, anything?

like 3gb prolly but in marshmallow you can do the combined storage with an sd card and theoretically have it expand to 40gb total space but in practice I suspect it won't work worth poo poo

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Because it's not the same Motorola we're talking about. Lenovo bought the company and then gutted it so they could slap the name on bad Chinese phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Wacky Delly posted:

The digitizer is usually glued to the screen. Did what you buy have both?

Yeah, they're a package deal always for the N5 AFAIK.

Should mention this is the second cracked screen in .. 4 years? Replaced the first one no prob.