Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Blast Fantasto posted:

Uncensored '96 is a perfect encapsulation of wrestling that's so bad it's good and wrestling that's so bad it's bad.

Bad-bad: Sting and Luger's tag match going on for what feels like 40 minutes, 20 of which is Luger deciding whether or not he wants to get in the ring.

Good-bad: the Doomsday Cage, which has

- Arm Anderson dressed like a burglar for no reason, everyone else in regular wrestling attire
- Kevin Sullivan poking people with a stick through the cage walls
- Victory parameters so complicated that no one seems to know what's going on, wrestlers and commentators included
- Hulk Hogan fights the actors from No Holds Barred because ??

I love the beginning where the wrestlers first step into the cage and you can see the exact same look on all their faces, like "what the gently caress did we get ourselves into."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Arm Anderson

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Smoking Crow posted:

Arm Anderson

Arm is definitely one of my favorites, right along with his old partner Leggy Zybszko

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tomorrow night, it's THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH '99! The Great American Bash started out as WCW's biggest and best tour/PPV, surely this show will continue that proud tradition!

OPENING MATCH
Hak vs Brian Knobs

SPECIAL VAN HAMMER MATCH
Van Hammer vs Mikey Whipwreck

RETURN MATCH
Disco Inferno vs Buff Bagwell

TAG TEAM GRUDGE MATCH
The No Limit Soldiers vs The West Texas Rednecks

REGULAR GRUDGE MATCH
The Cat vs Horace Hogan

CONTROL OF WCW RETURN MATCH
Ric Flair vs Roddy Piper

FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE MATCH
Rick Steiner vs Sting

TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH
The Jersey Triad vs Chris Benoit and Saturn (c)

ULTIMATE GRUDGE MATCH FOR THE WCW WORLD TITLE
Randy "Macho Man Savage" vs Kevin Nash

You'll get to see all of these matches, complete with clean decisive finishes tomorrow night at 8 PM!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Arm Handerson

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Finlay/Regal from Uncensored is one of my favorite WCW matches of 96. Don't even care about the finish.
You recommended me that match a while ago and I sort of expected a WoS style match wrestled at a snail's pace and that was... really really wrong. It's great.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Appropos of nothing.
Looking at the new Raw logo makes me realize we should probably lay off the birdshit logo.
A little.
(We can still call it the birdshit logo).

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I legit forgot Mikey Whipwreck was ever in WCW

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Well he had only one match before becoming a complete jobber, so that's not surprising.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Great White Hope posted:

Well he had only one match before becoming a complete jobber, so that's not surprising.

The amount of ECW talent that went through WCW is surprising.

I just remembered Sandmans WCW run. Yeah.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I would imagine that for ECW guys, WCW would have been wonderful.

You got paid, on time, probably more than what you were worth, (coz Eric was throwing Turner money around like confetti), and didn't have to do much once you got forgotten in the shuffle whilst still getting paid.

I understand it would have been a poor career move, (forgotten in the lower card shuffle, ignored over everyone not named Hulk), but as a financial move it sure had to be better than taking ECW bumps for less than no pay.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jake Soo posted:

The amount of ECW talent that went through WCW is surprising.

I just remembered Sandmans WCW run. Yeah.

Did Sandman manage to do his run as Hak sober somehow? I feel like was would be at least somewhat less accepting of their wrestlers being blackout wasted

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't say that WCW was as bad as ECW, but there was a ton of out-of-control drug use, with Scott Hall as the most prominent example. (I think his wife actually published an open letter asking them to stop enabling him.)

Even Vampiro criticized the drug culture in WCW, saying it went far beyond partying, and far beyond using painkillers to perform, to just being addicted to bottles of pills. He also claimed some luchadors were hired basically to smuggle drugs. Vampiro's a lying piece of poo poo though, so take it with a grain of salt, but drug use in WCW was pretty bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

Appropos of nothing.
Looking at the new Raw logo makes me realize we should probably lay off the birdshit logo.
A little.
(We can still call it the birdshit logo).

Nah, it's still worse. I've actually put some thought into it recently and the "bird poo poo" logo may be the worst bit of graphic design/typography in wrestling.

The Raw logo is weird but I expect I'll get used to it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't say that WCW was as bad as ECW, but there was a ton of out-of-control drug use, with Scott Hall as the most prominent example. (I think his wife actually published an open letter asking them to stop enabling him.)

Even Vampiro criticized the drug culture in WCW, saying it went far beyond partying, and far beyond using painkillers to perform, to just being addicted to bottles of pills. He also claimed some luchadors were hired basically to smuggle drugs. Vampiro's a lying piece of poo poo though, so take it with a grain of salt, but drug use in WCW was pretty bad.

I always figured it was the same as anything else in WCW, in that the bigger names could get away with just about anything but everyone below main event level was on a much shorter leash. Like Scott Hall can get away with being drunk as gently caress but maybe someone else like Sandman would actually have to watch himself cause he didn't have much pull

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I've heard the members of ICP say in a few interviews that the drug culture was pretty wild in WCW, and I'm guessing those guys are hard to impress when it comes to drugs.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

little munchkin posted:

I've heard the members of ICP say in a few interviews that the drug culture was pretty wild in WCW, and I'm guessing those guys are hard to impress when it comes to drugs.

Sadly, Hulk Hogan never sold for the Clown

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I always figured it was the same as anything else in WCW, in that the bigger names could get away with just about anything but everyone below main event level was on a much shorter leash. Like Scott Hall can get away with being drunk as gently caress but maybe someone else like Sandman would actually have to watch himself cause he didn't have much pull
In WCW post-Hogan, I think it's more likely that management was so busy trying to corral the egos of the main eventers that the lower-card guys weren't really being watched. If you can manage not to get high, strip naked, and fight the police in a hotel lobby, you could fly under the radar. Vampiro mentioned in particular seeing Bobby Duncum Jr. eating a bottle of painkillers on a plane--on the way to meeting his wife and kids. And from what Daffney has said, a culture of getting drunk in the hotel bar every night was pretty much normal. Guys who went between WCW and ECW described WCW's party culture as more of a drinking culture (with Flair making an rear end of himself but buying everybody's drinks), which they didn't care for, whereas in ECW it was anything-goes.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
The raw logo looks really bad flat but within the motion graphics on the tron and such i can see the kind of retro theme they're going with. Looks like a mix between early 90s Raw and the early/mid 2000s flames and metal bars theme

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

I might be wrong, but I could swear Paul basically told him to go to WCW because he had an injury issue and WCW had health insurance. Looking at his match history, it looks like he missed 4-6 weeks while under contract.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

syzpid posted:

I might be wrong, but I could swear Paul basically told him to go to WCW because he had an injury issue and WCW had health insurance. Looking at his match history, it looks like he missed 4-6 weeks while under contract.

That's exactly what happened. If I recall correctly WCW didn't even pick up on him having an injury when they signed him. I don't know if that accounts for his missing weeks though or if they just didn't book him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That sounds better than the ECW health insurance program, also known as "pulling a slip-and-fall scam on a 7-11"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Halloween Jack posted:

"pulling a slip-and-fall scam on a 7-11"

Did this actually happen and if so did it involve New Jack?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New Jack's health insurance program was just threatening the hospital until they agreed his treatment was free.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

RZApublican posted:

Did this actually happen and if so did it involve New Jack?
That was from a shoot interview with Bill Alfonso, Tod Gordon, and 2 Cold Scorpio; I can't remember which guy it was.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

It might be dumber but I think we're in a worse period right now, especially because this is 3 hours per week while half of Russo is 2. In the very least I think the PPVs are worse in the summer of 99.

Great American Bash 99 next week might be the worst PPV of all time. Slamboree got some pushback when I called it one of the worst, and I think at the time it was a bottom 10 all time PPV. GAB 99 and BATB 99 today should still rank as bottom 10 all time.

99 can't possibly be worse than 91, can it? 91 had El Gigante vs One Man Gang go on for six minutes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jason Sextro posted:

99 can't possibly be worse than 91, can it? 91 had El Gigante vs One Man Gang go on for six minutes.

GAB 99 has around 17 humans and animals interfering in matches. This does not include security pulling the attack dogs that did a run in on Sting during his match with Rick Steiner. This also isn't the case of one match with mass run ins, it's spread out. Mind numbing booking, especially when you add in the main event and Flair/Piper end in DQs.

GAB 99 manages to be booked as insultingly as GAB 91 which is astounding. It's probably a slightly better wrestled show than GAB 91 but the WE WANT FLAIR element provides perverse entertainment. BATB 99 will be as bad as GAB 99 but I was reminded tonight that Halloween Havoc 2000 exists and is still probably the worst PPV of all time. That show is just worthless.

If I had to rank WCW PPVs I'd go

Halloween Havoc 2000
Great American Bash 91
BATB 99
GAB 99

with the latter two being a virtual tie. All of those are in my major company Bottom 10 too.

It's funny because New Blood Rising is brought up so frequently on this forum and I don't think it's in the bottom 10 for WCW. Now if you look at other factors like how they hurt business long term GAB 91 and maybe even GAB 2000 have to be in there. Awful shows with stupid decisions that hurt the company defining them.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

GAB 99 has around 17 humans and animals interfering in matches. This does not include security pulling the attack dogs that did a run in on Sting during his match with Rick Steiner. This also isn't the case of one match with mass run ins, it's spread out. Mind numbing booking, especially when you add in the main event and Flair/Piper end in DQs.

GAB 99 manages to be booked as insultingly as GAB 91 which is astounding. It's probably a slightly better wrestled show than GAB 91 but the WE WANT FLAIR element provides perverse entertainment. BATB 99 will be as bad as GAB 99 but I was reminded tonight that Halloween Havoc 2000 exists and is still probably the worst PPV of all time. That show is just worthless.

Halloween Havoc 2000
Great American Bash 91
BATB 99
GAB 99

with the latter two being a virtual tie. All of those are in my major company Bottom 10 too.

It's funny because New Blood Rising is brought up so frequently on this forum and I don't think it's in the bottom 10 for WCW. Now if you look at other factors like how they hurt business long term GAB 91 and maybe even GAB 2000 have to be in there. Awful shows with stupid decisions that hurt the company defining them.

This is all true, GAB 91 never had David Flair in a PPV match. I'd also somehow forgotten that "that's the Wall, brother!" was in the Misfits as Sgt. AWOL. I'm still astounded by GAB91, even in a wrestling sense everything is bad. You had Brian Pillman, Bobby Eaton wrestling Steve Austin, the Fabulous Freebirds, and it was just garbage.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shave Seltzer Fun Fact: For those who care about star ratings, the third best match on GAB 99 to him was Hak vs. Brian Knobbs, and the second best match was Buff Bagwell vs. Disco Inferno, whose rating of ** was better than the rest of the PPV after it combined (*1/2 across six matches, thanks to 3 -* matches and a DUD).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Halloween Havoc 2000
Great American Bash 91
BATB 99
GAB 99

I'm not sure I could sit down for something worse than New Blood Rising or Souled Out, that takes real work.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As someone who hasn't watched either of the GAB's I find it hard to believe there is something worse than New Blood Rising. Souled Out was at least so stupid it's hilarious in retrospect.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
How could Spring Stampede 99 be so good and then a few months on its just wall-to-wall poo poo?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MrBling posted:

How could Spring Stampede 99 be so good and then a few months on its just wall-to-wall poo poo?

WCW decided that in order to fix things they needed more old people (including Eric Bischoff) on screen at all times.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Was Spring Stampede one of those things where they were in a "holding pattern" at the time, so they were just booking good, sensible wrestling, albeit without any big exciting angles?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is there any explanation for why every match felt just a little too long? Who was/were the road agent(s)? Even the tag title match was dragging before the gently caress finish.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Back in the good old days of this thread when we were talking about the bird poo poo ad I mentioned remembering the entire campaign WCW did at the time. Luckily the Observer is here to fill in the details. From the 6/28/99 issue.

quote:

Even a bigger flop than recent Nitros in WCW's new multi-million dollar "It's Out There" image campaign. For example, this week's Sports Illustrated has a full page color ad showing Bagwell posing with a WCW logo. It doesn't even advertise Nitro's starting time or the date of the next PPV

I knew they did a stupid late 90s edgy ad campaign that did nothing to tell you about the product.

Edit: Should've known WCW Worldwide already had this stuff and I've actually seen it tweeted before.

https://wcwworldwide.tumblr.com/post/82751856924/wcw-its-out-there-advert-ft-buff-bagwell

In other news from that issue:

quote:

WCW was going to bring in the rap band "Naughty by Nature" to perform at the Georgia Dome Nitro, but Master P flexed his muscle and got it nixed. Dennis Rodman is also scheduled to debut on that show. Rodman isn't scheduled to appear on the PPV and the only in-ring wrestling appearance on his five show deal is to wrestle in Sturgis

quote:

Nitro at the Superdome in New Orleans drew 17,249, which was 15,593 paying $346,424. Realistically they were going to draw about 13-14,000 paid without all the late local push by Master P. So much for him coming in and selling out the Dome. It wasn't totally evident on TV because they had a lot of plants at ringside and in a section dancing that the cameras focused on while he was out there, but the fans didn't pop for him live and his segments were not only awful, which was no surprise, but they also weren't over in the least to the predominately-white WCW audience.

WCW is winning the war!

quote:

For 6/4 in the U.K. Raw drew 280,000 viewers to 400,000 for Nitro and 300,000 for Thunder. Raw was moved actually to a stronger station and better time slot, but I guess fans being creatures of habit, didn't all pick up on the change the first week in

quote:

Willie Nelson is expected to do a WCW vignette with Hennig. Certain people are recognizing Hennig is about to turn face against their wishes, so they are going to do a deal where Hennig tries to buddy up to Nelson but he shoots him down trying to get the country fans to think of Hennig as being uncool as well

quote:

Because they didn't tape enough matches at the taping in Syracuse, NY, WCW had to replay the eight-man tag from Nitro involving Bagwell pinning Flair in its entirety as the Thunder main event

quote:

Jericho did concerts with a band called Fozzie Osborne in Gainesville and Atlanta as lead singer and people said he was good. He said both rap and country suck and heavy metal rules. If he could have kept his drug problems under control he'd have probably been the best worker in the business by this point. That's Heavy Metal, not Jericho I'm talking about

Also why did WCW and Sable think they shouldn't be sued?

quote:

WCW's explanation that she came to the event and bought a ticket is ridiculous given the nature of the business, and one that nobody with half a brain will accept. The fact she was sitting in the front row with security guards around her and showed up well into the show makes that story even more outlandish. Mero's even sillier explanation in a USA Today story on 6/21 was that "I wanted to see if the same level of obscenity was taking place. It was not."

Oh ok.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 5, 2016

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

It's actually worse than that: initially he wanted it to be the Stu Hart Invitational Title. So not only is it puerile, but also insulting.

Stu Hart was a piece of poo poo though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll never understand why WCW went all in on Master P. Was that dude actually notable enough for anyone to care? WCW is the ONLY time I ever heard of him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Master P had just released two #1 albums in 1997 and 1998, he'd been on 2 compilations that hit the Top 10 that same year, and would release an album that hit #2 in October. (This is overall Billboard Top 200.)

His singles didn't break out of hip-hop fandom quite so much as some other rappers, and the following year's album didn't break the top 20--so it's not surprising you've never heard of him, and that most people don't remember him for anything other than that stupid "Make 'em say uhhh" song. But he was definitely a top-selling artist who had just hit his peak. He was a pioneer of the concept of rapper as "mogul" with a diverse business portfolio, and is still one of the richest people in hip-hop.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well alright then. Guess it was down to me being a honky rear end honky at the time. I just figured any real big musician would have had staying power.