Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
so I'm nearing level 11 and still using lovely poke balls which are starting to not cut it for the better pokemon i find. Will there be great/ultra/master balls and if so when and how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Great balls at level twelve. Then they can be found randomly

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Eevee name trick was confirmed legitimate by the development team at their comicon panel, people are just doing it wrong

Nah, something definitely changed, or it doesnt work after you use it for once per eveelution..

I got my first three perfectly, but I just went to evolve a near perfect Eevee after it had been re-named Rainer for 3 days and I'd done countless poo poo in game since then. I'm now the proud new owner of a poo poo tastic Jolteon. It'll still make a candy at least.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Question on attacking gyms with a friend:

I tried attacking blue gyms and yellow gyms both today with a friend (we're both red) and could never seem to get us both into the same fighting instance at the same time. We tried waiting until the first person to attack showed up on top of the gym on the map, and tried simultaneously. Couldn't seem to find a pattern to it, but one of us either got booted back to the main gym screen, or got put into our own individual instance. Any experiences or advice on this? Tried googling but couldn't find anything concrete.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

To check IVs you need to do it with the trainer level you had when you caught it , right?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RealFoxy posted:

Jeremy from Achievement Hunter/Rooster Teeth LOVES Voltorb and despises Electrode so there you go

What the gently caress is this nonsense? How the hell can you hate this;

Best gen 1 pokemon.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 27, 2016

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

wraith_5_ posted:

Nah, something definitely changed, or it doesnt work after you use it for once per eveelution..

I got my first three perfectly, but I just went to evolve a near perfect Eevee after it had been re-named Rainer for 3 days and I'd done countless poo poo in game since then. I'm now the proud new owner of a poo poo tastic Jolteon. It'll still make a candy at least.

I had the same thing happen to two perfect Eevees, I wonder if the the naming trick just doesn't work above a certain IV threshold.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I thought I read somewhere that naming them works for the first time for each evolved variety, but after that it's random.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I managed to go like 6 hours before reinstalling the app

I was down at the park looking for river rocks for a project, and I knew there was a gym and a pokestop there, and it was a decent walk down to the river, so why waste all that time out in nature NOT grinding the KMs off my eggs? this is weakness, I know

:negative:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I had a full inventory of pokemon and then an egg hatched but the counter didn't roll over and when I tried transferring the counter went back to 1 under the max. Did my pokebox eat one of my pokemon??

EDIT: Apparently it just broke the counter. I just caught another pokemon and I've got 301 in my inventory even though the tally only says 300.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

DrPlump posted:

That one will be the next Hitler for sure.

We must secure the existence of normal types and a future for normal type children.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
The only thing better than catching a Snorlax is catching one on the first ball.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

The eevee nickname trick hasn't been working for me lately but I've heard people say they can guess what it will be based on stats. Is there any truth to that? What do you think this one will be? (Nickname is there just in case the trick starts working again.)

I just evolved it. It's a jolteon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hope this is a stealth patch to decrease the amount of vaporeons ruling over gyms. This game made me hate eevee.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tried taking my fist gym today. I feel realy dumb for asking but how do you use moves that use meter?

Also i drew a thing

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Caught this as a Starmie and then evolved it. Top percentage!

It has quick attack and ancient power, which isn't the best for DPS but at least it hits water and grass types neutrally.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It has quick attack and ancient power, which isn't the best for DPS but at least it hits water and grass types neutrally.

What program is that???

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

That's the silph road IV calculator here
https://thesilphroad.com/research

Click on "IV RATER"

OmanyteJackson posted:

Also i drew a thing

Noice

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm so happy Pokevision exists. I was just checking it for late night Gastlys (I swear one day I will find one of these jerks), and I saw Seaking about 10 yards from my front door. The in-game thing had it at the very bottom of the list.

I ended up catching it on the second pokeball, and thanks to the curve tutorial, I got 650 XP for a Great or a curve (whatever took priority) and a new Pokemon. Still never seen a Goldeen, oddly enough. It's 87 CP, unfortunately, but whatever.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Two Feet From Bread posted:

What program is that???

https://thesilphroad.com/research click on the IV RATER tab one space from the right.

Bill Barber posted:

I had a full inventory of pokemon and then an egg hatched but the counter didn't roll over and when I tried transferring the counter went back to 1 under the max. Did my pokebox eat one of my pokemon??

EDIT: Apparently it just broke the counter. I just caught another pokemon and I've got 301 in my inventory even though the tally only says 300.

This is actually a cool and thoughtful feature. You have to throw out some pokemon or use some items before you can get more, but the game won't penalize you for having too many pokemon when one hatches from an egg or you receiving too many items at once.

Hrist posted:

I'm so happy Pokevision exists. I was just checking it for late night Gastlys (I swear one day I will find one of these jerks), and I saw Seaking about 10 yards from my front door. The in-game thing had it at the very bottom of the list.

I ended up catching it on the second pokeball, and thanks to the curve tutorial, I got 650 XP for a Great or a curve (whatever took priority) and a new Pokemon. Still never seen a Goldeen, oddly enough. It's 87 CP, unfortunately, but whatever.

Where's this?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Things I told my friends after months of beta testing:
- Don't all go on separate teams. Don't just choose your favorite loving color. That is the stupidest thing you can do. Go on the team your friends are going on. This is loving vital
- Have a strong showing in the first few days for your team, so all the powergamers join you
- Use teamwork so you can split the load when it comes to taking down gyms or building up prestige
- Save up and evolve a tonne of Pokemon with an activated Lucky Egg so you can level up fast
- Save the stardust for when people know how these mechanics work better so you don't waste it
- I have been playing Ingress for a year in addition to Go and I know where everything is so ask me before you go out wandering and I can save you time

Things my friends listen to from the guy who had already been playing for months:
- n/a

And now, as is the story of my loving life with online multiplayer games, I'm stuck carrying a weak team that doesn't use teamwork who is outnumbered by well-oiled powergaming machines. :bang:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

This is actually a cool and thoughtful feature. You have to throw out some pokemon or use some items before you can get more, but the game won't penalize you for having too many pokemon when one hatches from an egg or you receiving too many items at once.
It already happens with your item backpack (if you level up and get a bunch of items that are over your max amount available, your items will roll over above the max) but with Pokemon it's weird because the counter doesn't increase (still says 300/300 even though there are clearly 301) which basically gives you a phantom extra pokeslot forever.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tei posted:

I tried the pokemon go python map thing. I had problems installing pip, problems of different versions of python, problems installing the requirements. Tried a virtual python enviroments. Meh.

Python philosophy used to be "batteries included", but now It feel like before using any application writting in python you have to build yourself these batteries with cocos and bananas.

The python community need to put his poo poo togueter, because this is FUBARED.

gently caress this language, and gently caress the Python programming language with a hot iron bar.

And thats my experience tryiing to cheat in this game.

now imagine this was one of the like 10 years where the administrators of the language absolutely refused to bundle pip with the binary installer. 'batteries included' has always been a colossal load of horseshit.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Am I seriously the only person that doesn't see the percentages when I use that site? I get the bar and the text, and the attack/stamina numbers, but I never ever see the percentages at the bottom.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Roger Explosion posted:

Things I told my friends after months of beta testing:
- Don't all go on separate teams. Don't just choose your favorite loving color. That is the stupidest thing you can do. Go on the team your friends are going on. This is loving vital
- Have a strong showing in the first few days for your team, so all the powergamers join you
- Use teamwork so you can split the load when it comes to taking down gyms or building up prestige
- Save up and evolve a tonne of Pokemon with an activated Lucky Egg so you can level up fast
- Save the stardust for when people know how these mechanics work better so you don't waste it
- I have been playing Ingress for a year in addition to Go and I know where everything is so ask me before you go out wandering and I can save you time

Things my friends listen to from the guy who had already been playing for months:
- n/a

And now, as is the story of my loving life with online multiplayer games, I'm stuck carrying a weak team that doesn't use teamwork who is outnumbered by well-oiled powergaming machines. :bang:

Let me guess, you're on the red team?

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just learn to do the curve balls then life is good.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just got 75,000 experience from a lucky egg. Mark all your Pokemon ready to evolve as favorites, start at the top and work your way down. I had no new evolutions, so that should be 75 in 30 minutes.

So I'm at level 21 now. If I am reading correctly, now is the point where my eggs are topping out at the random Pokemon inside it? And I still shouldn't evolve anything I want, because I will still be catching better stuff until Level 30?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Astro7x posted:

If I am reading correctly, now is the point where my eggs are topping out at the random Pokemon inside it? And I still shouldn't evolve anything I want, because I will still be catching better stuff until Level 30?
Yes and honestly just go nuts respectively. Yeah sure wild pokemon will keep leveling with you until level 30, but the reality of the situation is that the XP curve after 20 is so harsh that if you wait until 30 to get going with the game you're probably never gonna get there and lose interest.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

OmanyteJackson posted:

I tried taking my fist gym today. I feel realy dumb for asking but how do you use moves that use meter?

Wait til the meter flashes, then hold down and you'll see another meter charge up, when it hits full after ~1 second let go.

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

I leveled it twice just to make sure, and apparently I hit the Eevee holy grail.

Oh god I'm only level 8, what do.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

space kobold posted:

I leveled it twice just to make sure, and apparently I hit the Eevee holy grail.

Hello fellow perfect IV eevee haver :toot:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Let me guess, you're on the red team?
Yes. But if its any consolation, I was all about the Blue team because I'm Resistance in Ingress until my friend in Australia convinced me to be on the same team as him. :gonk:

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

space kobold posted:

That EV sucks its only 47 CP.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The highs are 111, 111, 110, and 108 rest of the week

I'm gonna die out there

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Roger Explosion posted:

Yes. But if its any consolation, I was all about the Blue team because I'm Resistance in Ingress until my friend in Australia convinced me to be on the same team as him. :gonk:

Haha I knew it. I'm on the yellow team myself but from what I've noticed the red team just can't get their poo poo together and hold any gyms. Blue still holds the most because of sheer numbers, but from what I've seen and experienced yellow is the second best at holding gyms and tend to be more organized than the red team, who has the second most members.

space kobold posted:

Name it Rainer if you haven't already. Vaporeon is way better than the other two and type match ups are less important than in the main games.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Name it rainier and then spam the evolve button right away!

And yeah seriously, they made the inherent Pokémon power spread SO wide in this game that type advantage is practically irrelevant. Vaporeon completely owns Jolteon even with the two 25% and 20% multipliers because his inherent hp, damage, and attack rate just dwarf Jolteon

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Coolguye posted:

Yes and honestly just go nuts respectively. Yeah sure wild pokemon will keep leveling with you until level 30, but the reality of the situation is that the XP curve after 20 is so harsh that if you wait until 30 to get going with the game you're probably never gonna get there and lose interest.

Good Advice.

My Top 6 are no longer just Hypnos!

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Astro7x posted:

Good Advice.

My Top 6 are no longer just Hypnos!

hello fellow coast-dweller

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Haha I knew it. I'm on the yellow team myself but from what I've noticed the red team just can't get their poo poo together and hold any gyms. Blue still holds the most because of sheer numbers, but from what I've seen and experienced yellow is the second best at holding gyms and tend to be more organized than the red team, who has the second most members.
Assigning traits to colors arbitrary. My point is IVs, CP, Vaporeons etc are not the strongest thing is this game. Teamwork is. My perfect IV'd, max CP Snorlax wall doesn't mean a thing if a bunch of folk on the other teams zerg rush it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Roger Explosion posted:

Assigning traits to colors arbitrary. My point is IVs, CP, Vaporeons etc are not the strongest thing is this game. Teamwork is. My perfect IV'd, max CP Snorlax wall doesn't mean a thing if a bunch of folk on the other teams zerg rush it.

True, as one of the very few folks on Instinct that live downtown that I know, the gyms I do manage to take over only last a few hours. The one at my apt complex is perma-Valor bc of the bike waiters that play while waiting in their HQ on the first floor. I don't care too much, I just turn in my daily as soon as I take over and move on. I know that I can just go take over a gym whenever I want and have time and not worrying about being locked out by my own team.

• Locked thread