Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sarmhan posted:

If the rumors about the final version using the 2X are true, this could be a really good device, as long as the price point isn't outrageous. If it's the 1X i'm not super optimistic about its future.

we don't know what the docking station will have power wise so it might not matter in the home configuration.

if the x1 is better on battery (dunno?) and cheaper it might be better to hold off and use the x2 for the new nx u in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I believe the 2X is actually better on power. It does require active cooling though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Generally the next chip in a line is better on power draw.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Generally the next chip in a line is better on power draw.

oh cool

katkillad2 posted:

Microsoft and Sony are trying to kill console gaming with these mid generation console upgrades, I guess Nintendo is ahead of the game.

the ps neo is probably going to be a mega sales hit

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I would love the idea of a portable but not pocket portable gaming console. If it could get anywhere above Wii-U performance id be psyched. I loved the VITA and it wasnt anywhere near that performance wise, but having a more powerful machine on the go, with better visual fidelity is something im hugely in favor for.

Im also hugely in favor of Nintendo canning the divide between their handheld game development and console game dev. As long as they dont do something absolutely insane like proprietary memory storage ( looking at you assholes at sony ) it would be awesome in my eyes.

I just hope the thing has a decent sized screen. a good 7" screen at least, something tablet sized. The 2ds i have is an absolute eyesore in how small the screens are. And even the vitas nice oled screen is still freaking tiny compared to my 10" Acer tablet.

The main concern of course is the price.. If they do all this, they will charge through the teeth for it. Its still 300 motherfucking dollars for a wii-u, and 200 dollars for the NEW 3ds. If Nintendo dropped a handheld console hybrid more powerful than their current offering they are gonna charge 5-600 dollars for it which is a loving deal breaker.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

sarmhan posted:

I believe the 2X is actually better on power. It does require active cooling though.

You've got it twisted, the X2 doesn't need active, which is probably why they're waiting.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Talkc posted:

Im also hugely in favor of Nintendo canning the divide between their handheld game development and console game dev.

:yeah: gonna be a lot of growing pains for handheld focused studios to take advantage of the system. gonna be interesting.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

katkillad2 posted:

As described, it sounds like this would be the death of the 2nd screen? As described, it sounds more like a handheld that can be hooked up and displayed on a TV which if that's what it takes to get Monster Hunter on a big screen again I'm ok with... but also sounds like less of a dedicated home console. I guess what I'm saying is it feels more like an evolution of the 3DS and the loss of the Wii/Wii U.

Microsoft and Sony are trying to kill console gaming with these mid generation console upgrades, I guess Nintendo is ahead of the game.

Why would it be the Death of the Second Screen.

It could potentially mimic a WiiU when hooked into a TV With the controllers being connected to a screen and rendering whatever is on the gamepad on the portable part while the game is on the TV. And then when it's in portable mode it's just treated like playing WiiU gamepad with one screen.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Talkc posted:

The main concern of course is the price.. If they do all this, they will charge through the teeth for it. Its still 300 motherfucking dollars for a wii-u, and 200 dollars for the NEW 3ds. If Nintendo dropped a handheld console hybrid more powerful than their current offering they are gonna charge 5-600 dollars for it which is a loving deal breaker.

There's no way this thing will cost more than $350, if I had to pull a number out of my rear end I would say $300.

Dexo posted:

Why would it be the Death of the Second Screen.

It could potentially mimic a WiiU when hooked into a TV With the controllers being connected to a screen and rendering whatever is on the gamepad on the portable part while the game is on the TV. And then when it's in portable mode it's just treated like playing WiiU gamepad with one screen.

I thought about that, when it's hooked up to a TV the portable screen could be the second screen but it doesn't make much sense if being used primarily as portable. I guess less impossible/death and more clunky if games are going to be made with a second screen but you don't get the second screen without navigating menus when playing it off the big screen.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 27, 2016

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

katkillad2 posted:

There's no way this thing will cost more than $350, if I had to pull a number out of my rear end I would say $300.

I hope its only 300. Thats preorder territory for me. And i feel a lot of people would be more confident in buying one if it were comparable or cheaper than current systems.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I've talked to a few people today about the rumor and they seemed to think it was a dumb choice.

Maybe I'm just a Nintendo fan with no perspective, but it makes since for Nintendo to combine their divisions and focus on something more handheld-like when their handhelds have historically all been successes.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

$300 with a Tegra 2 could be a real hit. You've got something that's nearly as powerful as a bone or PS4 in one convienient platform.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

I've talked to a few people today about the rumor and they seemed to think it was a dumb choice.

Anything other than a powerful spec fiesta was going to draw "RIP Nintendo" from the perpetual RIP Nintendo crowd.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

katkillad2 posted:

I thought about that, when it's hooked up to a TV the portable screen could be the second screen but it doesn't make much sense if being used primarily as portable. I guess less impossible/death and more clunky if games are going to be made with a second screen but you don't get the second screen without navigating menus when playing it off the big screen.

Why not. It made just as little since for most Wii U games to be playable by themselves on the handheld tablet.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Dexo posted:

Why not. It made just as little since for most Wii U games to be playable by themselves on the handheld tablet.

From a Wii U perspective I think you are right, probably not a huge deal. From a 3DS perspective it's just not always going to work.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

hopeandjoy posted:

the more likely a person is to describe themselves as a "gamer" with no irony the more they think this decision is dumb

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If the handheld unit is single-screen and isn't compatible with Pokemon Sun/Moon right out of the box they'll have made a bad move for launch

At the 3DS launch my most played games on that thing were still DS Pokemon titles that had come out just before it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah i'm eager to see what their 1st party port situation looks as nx grows.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I bought a 3ds primarily for Link Between Worlds and a WiiU primarily for Splatoon. My only other gaming thing is my PC. I would love to not have to pay for two systems to play the Nintendo games I want.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Now if I'm not mistaken, 3ds is Tegra based, isn't it? Is backwards compatibility a possibility? (Two screens actually wouldn't even be a problem, if the screen is 720p which I can't imagine it being less, it could easily fit both 2ds screens on there.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Now if I'm not mistaken, 3ds is Tegra based, isn't it? Is backwards compatibility a possibility?

i don't think that happened. i think it might have been a rumor in like 2009 or 2010 based on google search but all the articles are like "3ds not using tegra afterall"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
From what I've heard backwards compatibility isn't likely. Might have been ruled out explicitly already even.

But yeah, as another PC+Nintendo person, Nintendo moving everything to one system is a move I think I'll like, at least if they do it well enough.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Roland Jones posted:

From what I've heard backwards compatibility isn't likely. Might have been ruled out explicitly already even.

But yeah, as another PC+Nintendo person, Nintendo moving everything to one system is a move I think I'll like, at least if they do it well enough.

With WiiU certainly. But I feel like 2ds wouldn't be as big an ask. If it's not, that's fine though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Now if I'm not mistaken, 3ds is Tegra based, isn't it? Is backwards compatibility a possibility? (Two screens actually wouldn't even be a problem, if the screen is 720p which I can't imagine it being less, it could easily fit both 2ds screens on there.)

Nintendo and NVidia were going to put the Tegra 2 (the X1 is the 6th gen Tegra chip) in the 3DS, but Nintendo got cold feet at the last minute and didn't do it. So no, no Tegra in the 3DS.

EDIT: I fully expect a 3DS VC...with drip-fed games.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I mean it's not going to have a disk drive. So non-eshop WiiU titles are out forever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

3DS is not Tegra-based. It uses overclocked DSi processors with a GPU bolted on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sarmhan posted:

I mean it's not going to have a disk drive. So non-eshop WiiU titles are out forever.

they'll port the big hit games

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

they'll port the big hit games
Yea they'll port stuff. I just mean that your physical library is probably not going to matter

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so long as the miiverse continues to be overwhelmed with glee and nonsense squid drawings, i will get an NX

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
Heres what i want from their next hardware: HD Monster Hunter.

Nintendo and Capcom jumped through god drat hoops to make sure as poo poo no one else gets monster hunter. The lack of Monster Hunter on pc outside of playing Chinese MMOS is infuriating. Both Toukiden Kiwami and God Eater 1+2 are gonna be on PC Soon.

If Capcom+Nintendo are so god drat sure it wants to keep Monster Hunter to themselves, give us HD Generations on the NX.

The 3ds graphics are a bleeding eye sore, and the gently caress would anyone buy a Wii-u for yet another Mon Hun Tri.

You know whats also nice nintendo? Analog Sticks. Actual Sticks. Not nubs, not pads, STICKS. Even the vita's baby nubs were better than the slide pad. Plural. Sticks.

I dont care if the thing has a touch screen or not. If it would keep the price low id prefer not. I want a fully featured control suite. Sticks that click. At least two menu buttons ( start select fill ins ), A home button for console menu. Two ANALOG TRIGGERS and TWO ANALOG STICKS. And some bumpers too. 4 face buttons. A dpad.

Between Nintendo and Sony weve had years to get a fully featured suite of controls on a handheld and it STILL hasnt happened.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah, and maybe this system will come with a power cord. Keep dreamin' buddy.

Seriously though clickable sticks are probably the worst controller "innovation" of the past two generations. Just add two more buttons to the face.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Maybe I'm not are ~hardcore gamer~ enough, but I don't get the point of analog triggers and clickable analog sticks.

Also, I never had a problem with the circle pad, personally.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Was just thinking the leaks specified detachable controllers and all reporting and speculation has been saying the handheld unit has detachable controllers, which would have a cool use case but frankly to me doesn't seem like it could possibly be ergonomic or practical. Wouldn't it make much more sense if the controllers detached from the base?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

Was just thinking the leaks specified detachable controllers and all reporting and speculation has been saying the handheld unit has detachable controllers, which would have a cool use case but frankly to me doesn't seem like it could possibly be ergonomic or practical. Wouldn't it make much more sense if the controllers detached from the base?

It's a portable system, there isn't a "base". Or rather, the handheld unit and the "base" are the same thing. Assuming I'm understanding correctly, at least. The controllers detach so that you can use them from a distance while it's plugged in to your screen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hopeandjoy posted:

Maybe I'm not are ~hardcore gamer~ enough, but I don't get the point of analog triggers and clickable analog sticks.

Also, I never had a problem with the circle pad, personally.

analog triggers give you the ability to have cars that drive slow or fast. clickable sticks give you two buttons that can be used quickly in twitch shooters without losing control of your movement or view. several other examples for each.

they really should conform to standard controller schemes if they want the launch window ports to seem acceptable to buy on their console

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Roland Jones posted:

It's a portable system, there isn't a "base". Or rather, the handheld unit and the "base" are the same thing. Assuming I'm understanding correctly, at least. The controllers detach so that you can use them from a distance while it's plugged in to your screen.

Im under the impression there is a base, that is the charging station as well as being the part that has the hdmi connection to the tv, so when you go to your tv you don't have to plug it into anything, you just plop it on your base the same way you would the WiiU game pad onto its charging base.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

greatn posted:

Im under the impression there is a base, that is the charging station as well as being the part that has the hdmi connection to the tv, so when you go to your tv you don't have to plug it into anything, you just plop it on your base the same way you would the WiiU game pad onto its charging base.

Yeah, this is what I was under the impression was going on, and that the base might have additional hardware in it to handle upscaling for HD resolutions while the 'controller/handheld' thing runs at a lower resolution with it's own power.

is this not how it works

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
All I want out of the NX are actual ergonomics and proper analog sticks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm the nintendo nx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

Okay, that sort of base may exist, but, the controllers being part of that still wouldn't work for it as a handheld unit. You need the controllers to be part of what you carry around, because otherwise you have to set the screen part up somewhere and have the controller in your hands, which wouldn't really work for a handheld-type portable system. Like, if the controllers were entirely separate from the unit like you're describing, how would you play it the way you do a 3DS?

• Locked thread