Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
all pets are prisoners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ras Het posted:

all pets are prisoners

they will pay for their crimes

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I spank my monkey.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

System Metternich posted:

Iceland?

(No, I don't know why someone decided to create this map and upload it to Wikipedia, it can't even be found in any article)

Approximately 20% of Iceland's original settlers were Gaelic. Most of them slaves and concubines either kidnapped in raids on the way over from Norway or bought at the slave markets at Dublin or another of the Norse settlements in Ireland.

So that's some connection.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I can have my own zoo, neat

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Metapod posted:

I can have my own zoo, neat

I believe it would be called a menagerie in that case.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Corsica is so alarmed by the attacks that they seceded.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

System Metternich posted:

Iceland?

(No, I don't know why someone decided to create this map and upload it to Wikipedia, it can't even be found in any article)

It looks like the maps that go in the "X-Y relations" articles. Maybe someone made them for every combination of country; for example, some random checks give us Iran–Philippines, Austria-Bangladesh, and Georgia-Vanuatu.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

(for completness) Japan ~ Portugal relations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan%E2%80%93Portugal_relations

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
What happens when you mix huehue with wwww?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

quote:

Japanese slaves were brought by the Portuguese to Macau, where some of them not only ended up being enslaved to Portuguese, but as slaves to other slaves, with the Portuguese owning Malay and African slaves, who in turn owned Japanese slaves of their own.[6][7]

:stare:

I have to wonder exactly how that worked legally.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Slavery has taken many different forms in a legal sense.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
"Slavery" is such an ugly word! It's nothing more than an ordinary multi-level marketing system. Each level collects profit from their downline and in turn passes a portion of it up! Once you make it to the higher levels, you practically don't have to work at all!

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

I don't think that one's particularly odd. Portugal had colonies all over the world during its imperial era, and everyone knows it was the first European nation to make significant contact with Japan.

Obrigado gozaimasu

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah If I'm remember my anime/samurai warriors Asian history module correctly Portugal was a major exporter of fire arms into Japan and founded a couple of important docks. A weirder article would be something like the relations of the USSR and the regional powerhouse of Tonga https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union%E2%80%93Tonga_relations

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Dead Beef posted:

one more "never gonna happen" railway map

sorry this is from the beginning of the thread but omg this is my dream come never true. Bring back transcontinental railroads :(:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Why can't they build a line from Detroit to Toledo? :(

I've taken Amtrak a couple of times, and I would've taken it a couple more times if there was another way to go east other than first going west across Michigan and passing through Gary to chain trains in Chicago.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ofaloaf posted:

Because what would happen is, you'd spend a couple hours travelling, and then you'd be in Detroit. Or Toledo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ofaloaf posted:

You'd need to build a bridge 2200 miles long just to cross the Atlantic on the most direct route. Seems like a lot of bother for not much reward.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The West Midlands of England

Politically loaded because if you're going to draw the borders that sloppily you should at least draw Coventry and Dudley as dongs too.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ag Bengip posted:

I don't think that one's particularly odd. Portugal had colonies all over the world during its imperial era, and everyone knows it was the first European nation to make significant contact with Japan.

Portugal is connected by land to Spain, but the truth is more like Spain separate Portugal from europe. So in some logic un-logic, Portugal is a island, like Japan.

I live in Spain, and while I know Japan very well, Portugal remains a mystery to me, so I will not add anything more.

SÓ OS OUSADOS SÃO FELIZES
Sem pedir, o vento
Derruba as flores do chão . . .
Eu nunca ousei

(this is a portuguese haiku).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thing I know about Portugal: it was too insignificant to warrant an Asterix adventure.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Portugal is a beautiful country full of wonderful people

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Portugal also managed to overthrow its Fascist Dictatorship while the Spanish had to wait for ravages of time to do their work for them.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Here's my impression of Spain: Ahhhh, the nazi is dead. Finally we are a monarchy again. I want to kiss Juan Carlos' stupid bald head and have his babies

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

Portugal also managed to overthrow its Fascist Dictatorship while the Spanish had to wait for ravages of time to do their work for them.
In the sense that velocity is a function of displacement and time, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4x6wu8u2OY

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Guavanaut posted:

In the sense that velocity is a function of displacement and time, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4x6wu8u2OY
Calling Basque nationalists Spanish isn't going to win you any friends mate.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Portugal is a beautiful country full of wonderful people

:agreed:

My family is Portuguese so I'm biased as hell, but I've always loved going there. The coast is some of the most wonderful shoreline I've ever seen, and the food is amazing. It has quaint little historical sites that aren't flooded with tourists, too.

I'm really sad that now that I'm working I won't be able to go there on 3 week trips in the summer anymore.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Thing I know about Portugal: it was too insignificant to warrant an Asterix adventure.

IIRC in the classic series Asterix (before Goscinny croaked) only visited countries that bordered modern-day France. The exceptions were Greece, which they did visit, and Luxembourg, which they didn't (also because there was nothing there at the time to distinguish it from its own direct neighbours).

Plenty of Lusitanians appear throughout several albums though. They're usually depicted as short, somewhat more phlegmatic variants of Spaniards.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

the jizz taxi posted:

IIRC in the classic series Asterix (before Goscinny croaked) only visited countries that bordered modern-day France. The exceptions were Greece, which they did visit, and Luxembourg, which they didn't (also because there was nothing there at the time to distinguish it from its own direct neighbours).

Plenty of Lusitanians appear throughout several albums though. They're usually depicted as short, somewhat more phlegmatic variants of Spaniards.

They visited America and Egypt.

e: They probably would've gotten around to Portugal anyway if things had continued the same.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh by the way the "Portuguese Asterix" i.e. Tonius is absolutely horrible in a bad way, and I regret paying 1€ at a flea market for the album.

I know it's been translated to a few other languages as well so if you want "funny" racism, check it out.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Here's my impression of Spain: Ahhhh, the nazi is dead. Finally we are a monarchy again. I want to kiss Juan Carlos' stupid bald head and have his babies

We are dumb, but this was more a pragmatical concession to extremely far right people a lot into the idea of princess, castles and kings.

Our king has no real power, but fill a role that is still necessary in most modern countries (having a president and a prime minister).

Baka-nin posted:

We failed. But we fought fascist, and many cities where turn to rumble when every man and woman tried to stop it.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 29, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

No power? nonsense he had more than enough power to murder those poor elephants.

Shame Spain, Shame!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Are you... ready to... RUMBLE! *shoots a conventful of nuns*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

Calling Basque nationalists Spanish isn't going to win you any friends mate.
True, but I'm not sure what their position on being called 'the ravages of time' is.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Guavanaut posted:

True, but I'm not sure what their position on being called 'the ravages of time' is.

Huh??? Operation Ogre was in 73 and Franco died of natural causes in November 75.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's not like everybody within the Spanish borders was just sitting around waiting for the fash to die though

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Baka-nin posted:

No power? nonsense he had more than enough power to murder those poor elephants.

Shame Spain, Shame!

We are sorry. He was probably drunk.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

So? doesn't change the fact that they failed were the Portuguese succeeded, you know the whole point of this back and forth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Baka-nin posted:

So? doesn't change the fact that they failed were the Portuguese succeeded, you know the whole point of this back and forth?

Their king and our king can have a battle, and the survivor get to own the resulting Portugspain country.