Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Using your own numbers: 392/34000 is 1.1%. Gaijin make up 1.2% of the population in Japan. That doesn't seem like gaijin are disproportionately affected by the law.

Also, from my sources, Langley was once a member of the Georgia bar, but he let his registration lapse and isn't even an official lawyer anywhere though. "The longstanding joke in the legal community is that the only bar Langley has joined is the 'Roppongi Bar Association'"

Aredna fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mystes posted:

The New York Bar waives the requirement to have graduated from law school. There is no such requirement for foreigners taking the bar exam in Japan in the first place. Therefore, I don't see how they are "not playing fair when it comes to reciprocity." Also, while that article complains that it's unfair that the Japanese exam makes Japanese language ability more important than in many US states' bar exams, this was written before the Japanese bar exam was changed in a way that apparently had a similar effect, so I'm not sure that this issue is relevant now.

Yes, the Japanese bar exam is much, much harder than the US one, and as a result there are fewer lawyers than in the US system, which turns out zillions of lawyers every year who then become unemployed or work low-paying temp jobs without benefits and can't pay back their massive loans. You still haven't pointed out any way that the Japanese bar exam is unfairly hard for foreigners, though.

Abraham Lincoln never graduated from law school. Are you saying one of the greatest men America has ever produced would be worse than the average admitted individual to the Japanese bar?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Aredna posted:

Using your own numbers: 392/34000 is 1.1%. Gaijin make up 1.2% of the population in Japan. That doesn't seem like gaijin are disproportionately affected by the law.

Also, from my sources, Langley was once a member of the Georgia bar, but he let his registration lapse and isn't even an official lawyer anywhere though. "The longstanding joke in the legal community is that the only bar Langley has joined is the 'Roppongi Bar Association'"

Those 392 are not full members of the bar. Also, if Japan had a more open system like, for instance, how there's no residency or citizenship requirement to become a CPA in Illinois, then the comparison to the number of foreign residents of Japan would be moot since non-Japanese non-residents could become certified.

Japan is the world's 3rd largest economy. Does it seem to you like having ~400 registered foreign lawyers is reasonable compared to the amount of economic activity happening?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ErIog posted:

Those 392 are not full members of the bar. Also, if Japan had a more open system like, for instance, how there's no residency or citizenship requirement to become a CPA in Illinois, then the comparison to the number of foreign residents of Japan would be moot since non-Japanese non-Residents could become certified.

Japan is the world's 3rd largest economy. Does it seem to you like having ~400 registered foreign lawyers is reasonable compared to the amount of economic activity happening?

Pre-edit quote.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

ErIog posted:

Like I said, there's 392 registered foreign members of the bar in a country of around 130 million people. The number of foreigners among the ~34,000 regular members of the par is probably even smaller than that. In a country as large as Japan is with an economy as large as it is you would think there would be more foreign members of the bar.

ErIog posted:

Those 392 are not full members of the bar. Also, if Japan had a more open system like, for instance, how there's no residency or citizenship requirement to become a CPA in Illinois, then the comparison to the number of foreign residents of Japan would be moot since non-Japanese non-residents could become certified.

So they are members of the bar or they're not members of the bar? I'm kind of confused now.

Why does it matter how many registered foreign lawyers there are based on the economy? It's roughly the same ratio per capita of gaijin vs. non-gaijin so it seems pretty fair.

mystes
May 31, 2006

He's saying there are 392 外国法事務弁護士, but regardless of the number, the whole 外国法事務弁護士 system itself (foreign attorneys handling matters of foreign law) is pretty much irrelevant the question of whether there's something preventing foreigners from becoming normal attorneys in Japan.

Incidentally, despite the weird implication that this system is some sort of barrier set up to to prevent gaijin from being real lawyers (even though the norm is that people who aren't admitted attorneys wouldn't get to practice law, period), ErIog may be shocked to learn that at least one state in the US may have a similar system now.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 31, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Aredna posted:

So they are members of the bar or they're not members of the bar? I'm kind of confused now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attorneys_in_Japan#Membership_for_foreign_attorneys

Aredna posted:

Why does it matter how many registered foreign lawyers there are based on the economy? It's roughly the same ratio per capita of gaijin vs. non-gaijin so it seems pretty fair.

I'm comparing it to the size of the economy because it's a good way of demonstrating the disparity between Japan and other countries with similar amounts of economic activity. Corporate and trade law are areas where foreign lawyers may want to practice, and economic data is a way to talk about how big the need might be for Japan in terms of foreign lawyers.

Why are you comparing it to the number of foreign residents? Do you think a residency requirement is a good idea? Shouldn't a good Japanese-speaking American or German lawyer be able to become registered as a full member if they can pass the licensing exams? Not everybody needing access to the Japanese legal system resides in Japan.

Also, comparing it to the number of foreign residents requires tacit agreement with Japan's immigration policy.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 31, 2016

mystes
May 31, 2006

ErIog posted:

Shouldn't a good Japanese-speaking American or German lawyer be able to become registered as a full member if they can pass the licensing exams?
What a great idea. They should make it so that American and German lawyers can become lawyers in Japan if they pass the Japanese bar exam!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

mystes posted:

What a great idea. They should make it so that American and German lawyers can become lawyers in Japan if they pass the Japanese bar exam!

The Japanese bar has a number of requirements that are very difficult for non-residents/non-Japanese to meet. Among them is the requirement that you be a member of a Japanese regional bar association. I bet most of those require years of experience in the specific region which would be impossible to attain without at least residency, and for some of the smaller ones it could very well be impossible for any non-Japanese to register.

If the system is as open as you claim then why are there so few of them compared to the size of the economy and the size of Japan's population?

I guess they're all just really lazy and Japanese is hard. Why would they have any interest in the world's 3rd largest economy. It's not like there's a lot of money floating around there.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 31, 2016

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I linked this thread to a gaijin-lawyer that has worked in Japan for years.

quote:

foreign registration is only needed for law firm attorneys (and not necessarily at junior level) and is discouraged otherwise due to cost for in-house attorneys

So there are quite a few lawyers working here that aren't even counted in the stats you are using.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
In case you were wondering what all these edits are for.

Before:

ErIog posted:

If the system is as open as you claim then why are there so few of them compared to the size of the economy and the size of Japan's population?

I guess they're all just really lazy and Japanese is hard. Why would they have any interest in the world's 3rd largest economy. It's not like there's a lot of money floating around there.

After:

ErIog posted:

The Japanese bar has a number of requirements that are very difficult for non-residents/non-Japanese to meet. Among them is the requirement that you be a member of a Japanese regional bar association. I bet most of those require years of experience in the specific region which would be impossible to attain without at least residency, and for some of the smaller ones it could very well be impossible for any non-Japanese to register.

Kind of a letdown, I'll be honest.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stringent posted:

Kind of a letdown, I'll be honest.
The addition of the presumably completely speculative idea that people might be secretly passing the bar exam only to be forced out of working as attorneys by evil regional bar associations refusing to allow them to register was surely worth an edit.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Stringent posted:

In case you were wondering what all these edits are for.

This certainly isn't creepy stalker behavior.

mystes posted:

completely speculative idea that people might be secretly passing the bar exam

I never said this. gently caress off.

Aredna posted:

and is discouraged otherwise due to cost for in-house attorneys

So you admit there's pressure against foreign attorneys to try to become full members of the Japanese bar?

My point was never that there aren't foreign lawyers working in Japan*. My point is that they are not given the same opportunities as Japanese lawyers are when it comes to becoming a full member of the bar, and that means they have fewer options when it comes to how they can practice.

*cue people taking single sentences from previous posts out of context

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 31, 2016

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ErIog posted:

So you admit there's pressure against foreign attorneys to try to become full members of the Japanese bar?

My point was never that there aren't foreign lawyers working in Japan*. My point is that they are not given the same opportunities as Japanese lawyers are when it comes to becoming a full member of the bar, and that means they have fewer options when it comes to how they can practice.

More like employers don't want to pay for it when it is expensive and not necessary.

The thing is it's possible for foreigners to join various professions here, especially if they go to school here, but there is a reason that so few do it; namely that the opportunities for jobs and salary aren't as good. They can choose to be hired for their foreign education and knowledge, or to compete for the same jobs as Japanese professionals, and the first generally pays better.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ErIog posted:

They're not "my concerns." I'm not going to put together a policy document for you. I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not going to pretend I know how to fix it.

Thankfully, there are actual lawyers who have written about this very topic that you can go read the opinions of if you bother to Google. The first article I linked makes some good points about Japan not playing fair when it comes to reciprocity with the New York bar, and I'm sure there's lots of other lessons to learn from how more open countries have implemented their law licensing.

Law licensing in Japan is a protectionist racket by design. That protectionism has a disproportionate impact on foreigners. There's more lawyers in single states of the US than the entirety of Japan. It has nothing to do with language. A person motivated enough to want to be a Japanese lawyer would probably be able to learn Japanese just fine. Learning Japanese would probably be the easier part of their study.

The parts of Phoenix Wright that were cut/pasted from the Japanese legal system would horrify you.

Japan doesn't have an adversarial common law system, I don't know how many lawyers it should have relative to the US. Compare it to France or Germany

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp.

The Upper House election was today and early reports are saying that the LDP crushed it, with Abe not only winning a majority for himself (so they can cast off the Komeito if need be) but also being very close to, if not over, the 2/3 line, which would give him a 2/3 majority in both houses, which would enable him to possibly amend the constitution. (Turnout was 0.5% lower than the last Diet election, which was already a historical low, and widely viewed as a cynical ploy by Abe to tighten his stranglehold on power.)

For those not paying attention, this is the process in which Abe wishes to rewrite Article 9 to eliminate the "no aggressive military" clause and also rewrite the rest of it to enshrine :biotruths: and other heinous poo poo into law. The Wikipedia section on it is a good primer.

If he decides to go for the brass ring, the last bulwark against this all coming to pass is the Japanese people themselves, who have long opposed revising the constitution in general, especially A9.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Navaash posted:

If he decides to go for the brass ring, the last bulwark against this all coming to pass is the Japanese people themselves, who have long opposed revising the constitution in general, especially A9.
Yeah, well the Japanese seem to prefer voting for things they don't approve of, if the last few elections are any indication.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Old rural people still have (illegally) disproportionate voting power though after the Japanese Supreme Court decisions that have been ignored for years now. So it's not really a surprise that no one gives a gently caress because it's all rigged with no intention to fix it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

LDP and Komeito are well short of two thirds on their own, but if you add in MPs that are independent and support revision and MPs from parties that do, they are one vote shy of it. I think the media figures they can find a single defector or flip another independent.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Looks the Democratic Party lost a bunch of seats. I wonder if it had to do with them changing their name right before the election?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Chomskyan posted:

Looks the Democratic Party lost a bunch of seats. I wonder if it had to do with them changing their name right before the election?
Not at all - the name change was big news so everyone knows about it. I don't think it confused anyone at the polls.

They probably lost seats because nothing else at all they've done in years, aside from the occasional scandal, is remotely newsworthy.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

It doesn't really matter if it was big news for a week or two. Building a brand takes much longer than that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DP was expected to lose seats, they did less bad than they could have.

Also the DP and the Communists backed each other's candidates in the districts depending on which party's guy had a better chance, which is the first time that's ever happened and a big reason why the LDP didn't sweep more. Historically the Communists have run their own candidate in every district even if that meant splitting the non-LDP vote and handing it to the LDP

The election could have gone better but the LDP doesn't have 2/3 even with Komeito, who are opposed to constitutional amendment, and that was a real possibility going in. With this result it looks like the DP might be able to rebuild itself and win 2018, possibly sooner if Abe's administration implodes, and even more likely if the Communists are willing to cooperate now. Of course they probably won't because Japan lol, but in terms of Japan-adjusted expectations this election was not bad at all

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 11, 2016

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Komeito is for constitutional revision, although they tried to downplay it prior to the election (so did the LDP). As mentioned before, tallying up LDP, Komeito and other pro-revisionist parties/politicians, the LDP are one seat short of having 2/3 of the upper house. There are also 14 "neutral" politicians in the upper house. That means if just one of those politician votes in favor of constitutional revision, the LDP will have the numbers they need.

http://www.asahi.com/senkyo/senkyo2016/

In other words the LDP's constitutional draft is just about guaranteed to go to a vote

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Mercury_Storm posted:

Old rural people still have (illegally) disproportionate voting power though after the Japanese Supreme Court decisions that have been ignored for years now. So it's not really a surprise that no one gives a gently caress because it's all rigged with no intention to fix it.

A state of unconstitutionality only matters if you give a poo poo about the constitution in question.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The emperor is going to abdicate and there are no posts in this thread! I noticed the stories all said the law would have to be changed to actually let him abdicate - will there be any trouble getting such a change passed?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

The Imperial Household agency is saying the story isn't true and the Emperor has no intention of resigning

http://www.asahi.com/sp/articles/ASJ7F6W4MJ7FUTIL04G.html

Cant see any English articles on it yet though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Chomskyan posted:

The Imperial Household agency is saying the story isn't true and the Emperor has no intention of resigning

Isn't the emperor practically enslaved to his household staff though? Could be he wants to abdicate and they won't let him.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Chomskyan posted:

The BBC's reporting on it now, http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36784045 looks like he wants to change the law so he can abdicate in a few years, I guess his health and advanced age is taking its toll.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That's bizarre that the Household Agency denies it. It was all over TV last night as breaking news. They did mention the caveat of the law having to be changed, though.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Hot take by Jake Adelstien: http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-japan-emperor-20160713-snap-story.html

Although I can't tell if he was the one to actually write it as there is no direct mention of the yakuza.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Dr.Radical posted:

Hot take by Jake Adelstien: http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-japan-emperor-20160713-snap-story.html

Although I can't tell if he was the one to actually write it as there is no direct mention of the yakuza.

Hey this gives me hope as it seems to have not been blatantly falsified

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dr.Radical posted:

What is the ratio of truth to utter bullshit in Tokyo Vice? I read it basically treating it as a fictional memoir, is there anything to it?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I don't know but the general consensus I've heard on the Internet is that the book is what you said, a fictional memoir. He acts like it's all the truth. No one (respected) seems to give enough of a poo poo to write about whether or not it's true. :shrug:

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Nuclear bombings were horrible and we hate war. Let's pray for eternal peace.

What do you mean by war crimes? Nuclear bombings should never happen again.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jake Soo posted:

Nuclear bombings were horrible and we hate war. Let's pray for eternal peace.

What do you mean by war crimes? Nuclear bombings should never happen again.

Yeah, basically.

The high-school level material concerning the war I came across treated the bombings as if they were some sort of man-made natural disaster that came out of nowhere.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So can anyone explain why they let the butcher of Sagamihara go after they held in a psych ward?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

So can anyone explain why they let the butcher of Sagamihara go after they held in a psych ward?

Well, institutionalizing him One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest style would also set people off on a tirade about Japan's mental health system, so they can't really win there

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

He was deemed no longer a risk to others and released into the care of his father, who was instructed to contact the hospital if his condition appeared to change. Doesn't look like there is much more detail aside from that at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Is there anything intrinsically wrong with the helicopter money idea?

Japan wants its currency to devalue and its inflation to rise.

Why not just get the Bank of Japan to print 127 million ¥10,000 notes and give one to each person in the country, Zimbabwe-style with no backing? That should immediately increase inflation and devalue the currency with no debt increase.