Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah, I very slowly heat up my KO's in a pan while cooking my breakfast kasha. There is a little caramelization, which adds another flavor layer.

The only downside is that my house then reeks of fish, even when running the fan & opening the windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

Buy fresh dines if you're in a real Seafood City.

I was at the sac. store this weekend and they had no fresh deens, and a solid but not amazing selection and pricing of the tinned variety

Nice options for fresh/frozen fish though, this salmon looked real good

They were still pretty fresh, clear eyes and passed the touch and sniff tests with flying colors. Pick out a couple nice ones.

Scale em making a huge mess in the kitchen and cut some fillets, make stock or chowder with the heads and trimmings

Bag most of it for the freezer

Soak the rest in some ginger, soy, lemon, etc then grill those suckers

Aw yea.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I remain really jealous of people who live in areas where you can just go into a grocery store and buy a whole fish.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Going to Saltie Girl in Boston on Friday. Too many choices, including 'dines, for just one visit. Anyone else been there?

Edit: Got Frinsa sardines with warm bread, sea salt, lava salt, ground pepper, some sort of smoky-sweet tomato sauce, banana peppers, lemon, lime, and restaurant-made butter. SO GOOD.

Male Tiers fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 31, 2016

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dad Log 03/08/2016: Olive oily and herbed oven roasted redskin potatoes and green beans topped with flaked mustard 'dines make for a great summer lunch.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Male Tears posted:

Going to Saltie Girl in Boston on Friday. Too many choices, including 'dines, for just one visit. Anyone else been there?

Edit: Got Frinsa sardines with warm bread, sea salt, lava salt, ground pepper, some sort of smoky-sweet tomato sauce, banana peppers, lemon, lime, and restaurant-made butter. SO GOOD.

they just give you the sardines still in the dang tin? wtf

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Bardeh posted:

they just give you the sardines still in the dang tin? wtf

They sell a lot of other seafood but that was off the tinned menu alongside anchovies, octopus, oysters, etc. They were really backed up so we ordered a tin while waiting for our prepared plate.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Lathespin.gif posted:

nice fuckin fish

:mad:

I like making pasta/rice dishes with the mediterranean KOs. :3: They're also the cheapest for some reason, can't wait to pick some more up tonight.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Man, King Oscar WILD CAUGHT dines in olive oil are AWESOME. The bones are pretty much undetectable (for you wimps) and the flavor is good.

Like a true Dad I bite off and eat everything but the tail straight from the can, and the save the oil and all the little tail ends to eat with some good bread and pimento cheese. Sometimes just the bread.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Eat the drat tail

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Snoo posted:

Eat the drat tail

Agreed.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Snoo posted:

Eat the drat tail

pahuyuth posted:

Like a true Dad I bite off and eat everything but the tail straight from the can, and the save the oil and all the little tail ends to eat with some good bread and pimento cheese. Sometimes just the bread.
He saves them for another snack. That's kinda dadly.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lathespin.gif posted:

I was at the sac. store this weekend and they had no fresh deens, and a solid but not amazing selection and pricing of the tinned variety

Nice options for fresh/frozen fish though, this salmon looked real good

They were still pretty fresh, clear eyes and passed the touch and sniff tests with flying colors. Pick out a couple nice ones.

Scale em making a huge mess in the kitchen and cut some fillets, make stock or chowder with the heads and trimmings

Bag most of it for the freezer

Soak the rest in some ginger, soy, lemon, etc then grill those suckers

Aw yea.

Make some lox or gravlax or gravadlax or whatever the gently caress out of some of those freezered pieces.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Android Bicyclist posted:

He saves them for another snack. That's kinda dadly.

I can't read :ssh:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Seafood question, 'dine dads: How do you go about buying oysters in the grocery store? They're just out in front of the seafood display on ice at my local place. Do I just put them into a produce bag or do they have to stay on ice? I've never purchased raw oysters outside of a restaurant.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Male Tears posted:

Seafood question, 'dine dads: How do you go about buying oysters in the grocery store? They're just out in front of the seafood display on ice at my local place. Do I just put them into a produce bag or do they have to stay on ice? I've never purchased raw oysters outside of a restaurant.
You've got two options. Some oysters are packaged in boxes and sold in tiny crates of usually a dozen or two oysters. otherwise, you'll get them in a plastic bag. You want to take these home and put them in the fridge or store them on ice as soon as possible -if you're planning to eat them raw. Treat them as you'd treat any seafood: warmth is the enemy.

Usually the grocery store or fishmonger will have frozen food bags that are a bit thicker than produce bags.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Male Tears posted:

Do not buy them if you live more than like 6 hours inland.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

Do not buy them if you live more than like 6 hours inland.

I'd say this depends how much you trust your fishmonger. A ton of stuff is packed in dry ice and flown around these days.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
My fish place just throws things (fish, shellfish) in a plastic bag, weighs and prices it and then put it in another plastic bag that has ice in it (they ask of you need it first) then all into a brown paper grocery bag.

I'd say either ask them for some ice or alternatively have a cooler with ice waiting in the car. But yeah keep them cold as possible.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks all for the advice, all. I live in NJ about an hour from the ocean so it should be all fresh.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Male Tears posted:

Thanks all for the advice, all. I live in NJ about an hour from the ocean so it should be all fresh.

so it is all up to you to gently caress up

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

It's nice living right near cape cod because the seafood is so great, but man I went to Annapolis recently and the seafood was seriously incredible. What are the best seafood regions?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ferroque posted:

It's nice living right near cape cod because the seafood is so great, but man I went to Annapolis recently and the seafood was seriously incredible. What are the best seafood regions?

The 1800s probably

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
currently eating: cayenne bela dines on multigrain toast with spicy mustard :getin:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Ferroque posted:

confirmed. wellfleet oysters are some of the bombest shits ever

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

one time i texted my sister saying i was eating dines and i got a text from my dad later like "heard you were eating sardines. are you ok? do you need money?"

a shameful dad

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

one time i texted my sister saying i was eating dines and i got a text from my dad later like "heard you were eating sardines. are you ok? do you need money?"

a shameful dad

Nah, he was concerned for your well being. A good dad.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

a shameful dad

Buy that dad an account

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

VendaGoat posted:

Nah, he was concerned for your well being. A good dad.

he is a very good dad, true. but not a dine dad.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Sheep-Goats posted:

Buy that dad an account

i can imagine exactly his reaction if i showed him gbs. "people write all this? whaaat? these people need to get a life."

and you know what, he'd be right.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

he is a very good dad, true. but not a dine dad.

I can respect that.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Ferroque posted:

did you get steamed crabs? did you go to cantler's

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

KettleWL posted:

Hey are you still selling your awesome sardine tin art or did I miss my opportunity? Or maybe you died in a tragic sardine can accident. Truly the deadlist form of art :(

rip

I am still alive and making sardine art!

http://imgur.com/a/RpJJZ

And thanks for your order. :)

Ferroque posted:

I live in Newport News, Virginia (so right off the Chesapeake Bay), and in particular a neighborhood full of seafood as well as Asian/Indian/Filipino/etc markets. Fresh or tinned, I kinda got it all here. If you're asking about restaurants, though... not so much, for some reason.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

currently eating: cayenne bela dines on multigrain toast with spicy mustard :getin:

MUSTARD CHAT

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My art fishie overlooks my work stash of random, weird 'dines that I found the extremely foreign store just down the road from me carries. Also my favorite hot sauce, and huge bags of spices for like two bucks!

Weird foreign stores are great

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

MUSTARD CHAT

I use the French's bold and spicy deli mustard usually but I want to up my mustard game. I got some weird cracked pepper poo poo that was too sweet and it sucked. I put mustard mostly on dines and wraps. What should I get?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PinkoBastard posted:

I use the French's bold and spicy deli mustard usually but I want to up my mustard game. I got some weird cracked pepper poo poo that was too sweet and it sucked. I put mustard mostly on dines and wraps. What should I get?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I also like to keep a thing of some aggressive rear end dijon around

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

PinkoBastard posted:

Coleman's and breathe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Herr Tog posted:

MUSTARD CHAT
Shhhhhhh.... No chat threads