Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Xerxes17 posted:

What? Not even a cutting remark in rispote? :smug:

This post cuts like a monomolecular blade.
Speaking of monomolecular, is your girlfriend still trying to find your penis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

my dad posted:

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

(is it too early to remind everyone not to fight in the war thread?)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
That reminds me, I remember reading a lot of Borges, and some of his stories deal with gauchos having knife duels. Anyone know stuff about that? Is it as much of a myth as cowboy gun duels?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nenonen posted:

(is it too early to remind everyone not to fight in the war thread?)

You are taking a joke built off of "cutting remarks" way too seriously. Nobody is fighting.

Nenonen posted:

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

Learned it from your mother.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

That reminds me, I remember reading a lot of Borges, and some of his stories deal with gauchos having knife duels. Anyone know stuff about that? Is it as much of a myth as cowboy gun duels?
no, that was a thing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fac%C3%B3n

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Hey guys, the BBC are bringing back Time Commanders, a show in which people play Total War: Rome while a panel of ex-soldiers pretends to seriously analyse their performance for a comfortable appearance fee; hilariously fun entertainment for at least some of the family. (If you've never seen it, there are plenty of uploads available on a popular video-sharing website).

...Anyone want to apply with me?

You're on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I would if they were playing a better game :colbert:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

my dad posted:

Nah, your girlfriend showed her where it is :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Xerxes17 posted:

Nah, your girlfriend showed her where it is :v:

Ah, so that's where she left the microscope. :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

lenoon posted:

You're on.

Okay guys, we can do this. ACTIVATE SQUARE FORMATION!

I wonder if they'll bring back the historians too? It'd be very interesting now as one of them changed genders.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SeanBeansShako posted:

It'd be very interesting now as one of them changed genders.

Oh?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I hope she is just as nuts still, kicking blocks over and karate chopping the air. That show was the best.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Would a group of semi-pro military historians be allowed on? What if it's empire total war???? Are we allowed to delay battle until we research ring bayonets??????

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

lenoon posted:

Would a group of semi-pro military historians be allowed on? What if it's empire total war???? Are we allowed to delay battle until we research ring bayonets??????

Part of me hopes they get Brian Blessed somehow involved.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm totally up for this goonvasion of the BBC.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why are ex soldiers any more or less qualified than anyone else to comment on the goings on of a video game?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

19 July: Delville Wood ends badly, but at least it ends. And then we go to Fromelles, with the longest of long-suffering sighs. And soon we'll be going to Pozieres. An update from Erzincan is a nice breath of fresh air against that backdrop; Lt-Col Fraser-Tytler's cook goes mad; Oskar Teichman hears that there might be a fight on the Suez Canal soon; E.S. Thompson hears that soon the pursuit of Colonel von Lettow-Vorbeck begins again; and we meet Yet Another New Correspondent, the pacifist Max Plowman, who has rampant pretentions to Literature.

20 July: More from Fromelles, where further operations are called off too late to stop some men going over the top anyway. My verdict here is "yeah, the Australians get all het up about it, but it's hardly surpassingly awful", which of course is a condemnation of another sort. There's another sodding push coming on the Somme; questions are asked in the House of Commons about an inquiry into the ill-advised Mesopotamia operation, and someone provides the perfect setup for a Chilcot Report joke; Edward Mousley has now been taken to Ankara; Oskar Teichman is moving forward; Evelyn Southwell has been issued with a standard faith, one, crisis of; existential despair, for the use of; E.S. Thompson makes a couple of incredibly bad life decisions that HEY GAL's chaps would have been proud of; and Maximilian Mugge cleans the latrines and is pleased to do so.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

well it's a change from "only Imperialist troops committed the bog standard war crimes of the era," at least

It makes sense. The War Nerd aka "Gary Brecher" is a pseudonym for the writer John Dolan, who happens to be one of those Irish-Americans who are still obsessively Anglophobic. I suspect his explanation of the 30YW:

quote:

I’m telling you, an expeditionary force from one of those supposedly nice Northern European countries is the most vicious thing this side of an army of giant weasels injected with pure meth—but only when they’re dealing with non-white, and/or non-Protestant populations.

is motivated less by sympathy for Germans or antipathy towards Swedes, and more by some kind of weirdo transference of his anger at the Proddies who victimized his ancestors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bewbies posted:

Why are ex soldiers any more or less qualified than anyone else to comment on the goings on of a video game?

They aren't, but no part of it is even remotely valid, so 'ex-soldier' is as good a group as any.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Goddamnit Mugge.
Goddamnit Southwell.
Goddamnit Thompson.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bewbies posted:

Because your average television viewer thinks that anyone with military experience must be highly trained in strategy and tactics.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

lenoon posted:

Make it more absurd and have them playing Warhammer Total War.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Taerkar posted:

Make it more absurd and have them playing Warhammer Total War.

Their random British army guys might be more qualified to give advice on that, depending on era.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They should at least have Rome 2 instead of just Total War: Rome, or they could get other games to do other periods. This is 2016! There are options!

Of course, I imagine most contestants will fail just because RTSes are hard.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Their random British army guys might be more qualified to give advice on that, depending on era.

Squaddies. Squaddies never change.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

some 19th c americans fight with big knives (some are almost shortsword sized) but i think we were pretty into shooting one another

There was also "rough-and-tumble" aka "gouging", which was an unarmed fighting tradition supposedly peculiar to the (mostly Southern and frontier) USA in the 18th and early 19th century. It was similar to contemporary boxing except that the objective was to knock your opponent to the ground and disfigure him in some permanent way; e.g. gouge out an eye, tear off his ear or testicle, bite off his nose or finger, etc. The wikipedia article on gouging is drawn almost wholly from this actually quite fun AHR article, if you have a means of looking it up:

Gorn, Elliott J. ""Gouge and Bite, Pull Hair and Scratch": The Social Significance of Fighting in the Southern Backcountry." The American Historical Review 90, no. 1 (1985): 18-43.

It goes into how gouging functioned socially within the honor system of the backwoods USA at the time. Gorn concludes by writing that gouging apparently declined in popularity from the 1830s on, as disputes began to be settled more lethally with the use of bowie knives and, later, pistols and revolvers.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

They should at least have Rome 2 instead of just Total War: Rome, or they could get other games to do other periods. This is 2016! There are options!

Of course, I imagine most contestants will fail just because RTSes are hard.

Because Rome 2's battles even after the fixes look pretty garbo. Would like to see panel-style improv session where they try to come up with historical reasons why a cavalry charge stops dead in its tracks when the first soldier hits an enemy or why a Carthagenian swordsman is teleporting around trying to reach his duel partner.

Attila would probably be better, and if they're so welcome to the first Rome game, then Shogun 2 or Medieval 2 or even Napoleon wouldn't be bad choices. We even had a decently entertaining series that just put commentary over game footage that wasn't half-bad.

Been going through Yalecourses Youtube channel, and have been especially interested in this series on Roman history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC8JcWVRFp8

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 27, 2016

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Plan Z posted:

Attila would probably be better, and if they're so welcome to the first Rome game, then Shogun 2 or Medieval 2 or even Napoleon wouldn't be bad choices. We even had a decently entertaining series that just put commentary over game footage that wasn't half-bad.

Wait, was that a Time Commanders thing or something else. If so are there youtubes of it?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvanSchenck posted:

It makes sense. The War Nerd aka "Gary Brecher" is a pseudonym for the writer John Dolan, who happens to be one of those Irish-Americans who are still obsessively Anglophobic. I suspect his explanation of the 30YW:

is motivated less by sympathy for Germans or antipathy towards Swedes, and more by some kind of weirdo transference of his anger at the Proddies who victimized his ancestors.
i found it

the only non-anti-Imperialist-biased anglophone historian, if he counts as a historian
(actually peter wilson is admirably evenhanded. gg.)

edit: also irl his ancestors, unless they belonged to a Spanish escuadron, might have found themselves in the Swedish army right alongside a whole lot of English and Scots. But those guys were less bigoted than we are, most of the time. (I just read a letter where someone gets mad at Piccolomini for insulting Germans lol)

edit 2: He's wrong, but it is a welcome change from "Only Protestants or people from Northern Europe can have good ideas."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 27, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

wdarkk posted:

I'm p sure Thatcher was a a champion of chaos undivided, c/d?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvanSchenck posted:

There was also "rough-and-tumble" aka "gouging", which was an unarmed fighting tradition supposedly peculiar to the (mostly Southern and frontier) USA in the 18th and early 19th century. It was similar to contemporary boxing except that the objective was to knock your opponent to the ground and disfigure him in some permanent way; e.g. gouge out an eye, tear off his ear or testicle, bite off his nose or finger, etc. The wikipedia article on gouging is drawn almost wholly from this actually quite fun AHR article, if you have a means of looking it up:

Gorn, Elliott J. ""Gouge and Bite, Pull Hair and Scratch": The Social Significance of Fighting in the Southern Backcountry." The American Historical Review 90, no. 1 (1985): 18-43.

It goes into how gouging functioned socially within the honor system of the backwoods USA at the time. Gorn concludes by writing that gouging apparently declined in popularity from the 1830s on, as disputes began to be settled more lethally with the use of bowie knives and, later, pistols and revolvers.
cool, i remember hearing about that! apparently you can tell a seasoned gouger by his long thumbnail. it was especially popular among riverboatmen.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Wait, was that a Time Commanders thing or something else. If so are there youtubes of it?

Yeah there was a separate documentary series called Decisive Battles where they used narrated footage from the RTW engine to show important historical battles. One episode was on Cannae at least.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

E.S. Thompson makes a couple of incredibly bad life decisions that HEY GAL's chaps would have been proud of....
i probably would have done something similar tbh. "hey what's that?" *touches the mystery powder*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EvanSchenck posted:

It makes sense. The War Nerd aka "Gary Brecher" is a pseudonym for the writer John Dolan, who happens to be one of those Irish-Americans who are still obsessively Anglophobic.

He also sucks poo poo on every other level of military history.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

He also sucks poo poo on every other level of military history.

He was right tho when he wrote about how the Union should have hanged a bunch of Confederate war criminals tho.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Tias posted:

I'm p sure Thatcher was a a champion of chaos undivided, c/d?

ork, actually

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ghazghkull_Mag_Uruk_Thraka

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

edit 2: He's wrong, but it is a welcome change from "Only Protestants or people from Northern Europe can have good ideas."

Holy poo poo, you just zeroed in on why I like him.

Deus lo vult.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Holy poo poo, you just zeroed in on why I like him.

Deus lo vult.
things gustavus adolphus did ended up in staff college curricula in the 19th century, things wallenstein did did not, cue generations of dudes talking about how great the frontal assault is without stopping to think that ga got clotheslined in the neck at Luetzen (and goaded into attacking a fortified position at Alte Veste)

:dawkins101:

edit: meanwhile, Swedes who were more legit like Baner and Torstensson get ignored because almost nobody cares about the last third of the war

edit 2: and then there's Fritz Redlich, who says Wallenstein counts as a Protestant because he was raised Bohemian Brethren and converted as a young man. Catholics who converted to a Protestant religion also count as Protestants though, because ?????

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 27, 2016

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Trim Triagula, you're falling behind in your blog!! I hope everything's ok. :(

SeanBeansShako posted:

I hope she is just as nuts still, kicking blocks over and karate chopping the air. That show was the best.

Never seen the show, but I know plenty of trans folks, we're pretty much all nuts on some level or another.

Dwanyelle fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Thanks to Antti, I was able to find this like instantly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cax2vIb22nc

• Locked thread