Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUa3UQ0rvG8

I made this sound mod because I'm an idiot. That's also probably why I can't get it to work half the time without the game just outright crashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I don't get what all the hype is about for Ana. She feels like she dies super fast and it seems like pubs will go out of their way to chase you to the end of the map for a free kill.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

bear is driving! posted:

I don't get what all the hype is about for Ana. She feels like she dies super fast and it seems like pubs will go out of their way to chase you to the end of the map for a free kill.

Don't get stuck-in fights like a tank because you're not one, and your sleep dart is the single best disengage in the entire loving game. Incidentally you heal more and faster than any other support. Enjoy the road to ESL/IEM.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bear is driving! posted:

1). She's Overwatch's first new character, teased at for a little while.

2). She's a "sniper" (not really but it makes good ad copy) and people fuckin love snipers.

3). She's a support, which is the aspect of the Overwatch roster that until recently had the least real diversity of choice.

4). She's almost certainly better than everybody's early fumblings with her attest, judging a character's performance off of Joe Random Pub with less than two weeks of practice is going to give you a skewed perspective on anyone.

5). She's a cool grandma to go with the game's cool grandpa.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ana's not really a free kill anyway, she does 80 damage per shot and fires decently fast now. you can get a couple shots in, put the guy to sleep, then wake them up with the grenade for both extra damage and a free heal on yourself. you even have time to shoot them before they can move now. if you don't wanna take the fight, just sleep dart them and leave. a good ana is pretty hard to kill

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Luigi Thirty posted:

I just went 20-0 as Dva in a comp match

How long until she's nerfed back to uselessness :(

probably never she is in a really good spot and may only need a few slight cd changes at the most

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Kai Tave posted:

Random Heroes was fun, Arcade Mode was fun, but outside of that the brawls have been very mediocre and uninteresting. It's mainly been "Overwatch, but with only this handful of characters," which isn't really all that exciting for more than five minutes or so. I feel like the pressure to have a new brawl every week doesn't help and that if they spaced things out more maybe they could come up with some more interesting designs. They've talked about making Random Heroes a more permanent fixture in the future so there's that.

I hope they do that. I don't care what anyone says, random heroes is the most fun I've had in OW, partially because nobody gets upset about each others performance and partially because everyone's not playing expertly all the time which (surprise!) makes for much more fun matches.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
i think junkrat is pretty overpowered right now. i don't even play him because its so boring to spam grenades and watch the kills roll in.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

celewign posted:

i think junkrat is pretty overpowered right now. i don't even play him because its so boring to spam grenades and watch the kills roll in.

you must be facing dummies then tbh

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chewbot posted:

I hope they do that. I don't care what anyone says, random heroes is the most fun I've had in OW, partially because nobody gets upset about each others performance and partially because everyone's not playing expertly all the time which (surprise!) makes for much more fun matches.

Everybody liked Random Heroes which is why it's the only brawl being (openly) considered for regular inclusion. I think it could use some tweaks re: ult charge and maybe a smarter randomizer so you don't get the same hero three times in a row (please stop giving me Hanzo) but on the whole it's really good. I'd also like to see Arcade Mode make it as a regular feature.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I strongly suspect most folks problem with Ana is "I cannot actually hit the pixelmans with my cursor" because pre-buff she was pretty fuckin' good and now she's off the goddamned chain so if you're still having problems man i can't play the game for you, baby bird's gotta leave the nest y'know?

Did you know that while your hipfire is projectile, your scope is hitscan? Ana clicked for me after that, it was like oh, okay, I need to hang back and click on dudes to keep them from not dying and also to kill people! Turret defences are even easier to take out than with Zen support and that's fuckin saying something! Oh, also I peek at distance better than any support! And if you dive me I'll put you to sleep for Literally Five American Seconds while I run away!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

verbal enema posted:

probably never she is in a really good spot and may only need a few slight cd changes at the most

Yeah with the D.Va and Zen buffs and the mcree tweaks all the heroes are really strong and bring lots to the table so that every time I see a composition that makes me go "this.... this is bullshit!!!" i then choose my own bullshit to answer that. It feels good to play a video game like this. It feels weirdly novel as emotional territory too, which i was not expecting

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

celewign posted:

the junk rat is not good against the railgun cowboy or the cyborg ninja

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If Ana is the grandma and Jack is the grandpa, what does that make Gabe?

Willie Tomg posted:

I strongly suspect most folks problem with Ana is "I cannot actually hit the pixelmans with my cursor" because pre-buff she was pretty fuckin' good and now she's off the goddamned chain so if you're still having problems man i can't play the game for you, baby bird's gotta leave the nest y'know?

I play with an Ana main and he's really good at her and it never feels like we're "lacking a healer". At the same time he's delivering damage that usually qualifies for a medal.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah with the D.Va and Zen buffs and the mcree tweaks all the heroes are really strong and bring lots to the table so that every time I see a composition that makes me go "this.... this is bullshit!!!" i then choose my own bullshit to answer that. It feels good to play a video game like this. It feels weirdly novel as emotional territory too, which i was not expecting

They've made every character OP. Every character is bullshit!

I like it though.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Chewbot posted:

They've made every character OP. Every character is bullshit!

I like it though.

Hanzo isn't and they should never have brutally nerfed his hitboxes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that nerf was good because I don't like getting shot by an arrow while I'm around a corner

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I've actually been having a really good time playing Overwatch lately. The exhilarating rush of flying around as D.Va while high on marijuana is difficult to top ingame, and now she is super strong it's just pure clowntown for me. I've also been playing characters I've neglected, such as hunkrat, who is fun as all hell. It's really quite suprising that at least for me, 90% of the characters are extremely fun to play, whereas TF2 I probably only really enjoyed 30% of the characters.

Also now not as many people slampick Hanzo I've started to play him a bit more and he can still be pretty strong. People play him like a sniper when really you should play him like a flanker who can backstab every 5 seconds from range. Another thing is determining how long to charge the arrow: it's better to hit someone with 200hp with 2 100dmg arrows rather than two 125dmg arrows.

Schneider Inside Her fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 27, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

redweird posted:

The exhilarating rush of flying around as D.Va while high on marijuana is d

now that's what i call a thread title!!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

that nerf was good because I don't like getting shot by an arrow while I'm around a corner

Alternately, give Hanzo an actual curve-the-arrow ability like he had in the animated short.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Brannock posted:

If Ana is the grandma and Jack is the grandpa, what does that make Gabe?
Jack is dad, Reinhardt is grandpa, Gabe is Jack's bitter ex who likes guns and death metal and only ever wears black. Keep up

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

Jack is dad, Reinhardt is grandpa, Gabe is Jack's bitter ex who likes guns and death metal and only ever wears black. Keep up

i am jack's raging bile duct

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Willie Tomg posted:

idk what any of this means

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

celewign posted:

Once you hit an elo where there are Genji one tricks every game, you'll change your mind on this.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Against a good Genji your best bet is to peace the gently caress out with a Conc mine.

Against bad Genjis use roller grenades where he'll land and keep a trap between you if possible.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 27, 2016

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I'm at rank 60 and I'm only just getting to a rank where things like class counters, hit scan mccrees and so on are beginning to make a notable difference. I can carry pretty hard when I'm playing with rank 40~ friends as reaper, but if I play someone like mccree he really doesn't feel like he can carry close to someone like reaper unless your aim is surefour levels.

I know it's not just about pure damage (genji is my highest win rate by far despite having a full 7k less average damage per game than reaper, but mccree seems to crumple to pressure way too much. I guess once player skills at higher ranks increase characters like mccree Come more into their own, but until then I think stuff like "mccree is way too op" was out of line for about 95% of the player base while characters like genji and tracer seem way more of a problem in my experience.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

maev posted:

I'm at rank 60 and I'm only just getting to a rank where things like class counters, hit scan mccrees and so on are beginning to make a notable difference. I can carry pretty hard when I'm playing with rank 40~ friends as reaper, but if I play someone like mccree he really doesn't feel like he can carry close to someone like reaper unless your aim is surefour levels.

I know it's not just about pure damage (genji is my highest win rate by far despite having a full 7k less average damage per game than reaper, but mccree seems to crumple to pressure way too much. I guess once player skills at higher ranks increase characters like mccree Come more into their own, but until then I think stuff like "mccree is way too op" was out of line for about 95% of the player base while characters like genji and tracer seem way more of a problem in my experience.

Tracer and Genji are both difficult characters to hit. Genji in particular can gain a massive amount of survivability by just hammering the spacebar against most people.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Genji and Tracer at low ELO are good because no one can aim and they have very good evasion and escape abilities. As you go higher people get more accurate and more aware of their surroundings, while Tracer and Genji's aren't at a mastery level where they'll take advantages of all the quirks of the class. However by really high ELO Tracer kind of falls off except for KOTH while Genji still pays dividends on increasing skill level.

I believe McCree, Phara, Zarya, Dva, Roadhog, Mei, Widowmaker, Lucio and Ana all scale like this up to the highest ELO. For some, like Mei, they're not exactly worth pursuing (all though this is changing with Mei as a counterpick to Dva which is probably the best thing for our ice cold sociopath since ever).

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mei isn't worth choosing as a counter-pick to D.Va tbh, as Zarya is just as capable of counter playing and is infinitely more useful. I don't even know what they could do with her kit to make her useful at higher levels of play because it feels like she's walking a fine line of being useless and being loving miserable to play against.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Bolow posted:

Mei isn't worth choosing as a counter-pick to D.Va tbh, as Zarya is just as capable of counter playing and is infinitely more useful. I don't even know what they could do with her kit to make her useful at higher levels of play because it feels like she's walking a fine line of being useless and being loving miserable to play against.

It feels like the little things are what count, so just halve the charge time on RMB, and up the velocity. One of Meis biggest issues is her low DPS.
Or
Have her LMB have a small AOE so she can effectively freeze a crowd within a small cone.
Or
Allow her to freeze the ground to increase movement speed over the frozen part (not just for her but anyone, ally or enemy), or effective sensitivity on input (so while you can go forward faster it'd take some skill going other directions?). That alone would be huge without making her annoying to play against, and might make her more useful compared to Tracer or Lucio on KOTH depending on the speed boost.
Or
Some combination of the above.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
No buffs for mei thanks

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Bolow posted:

Yeah, Mei isn't in a great place right now. She's going to be just as hard, if not more difficult, than McCree to balance. Like you said, she's on a razor's edge of being a waste of a character slot or a total nightmare that makes the game completely unfun for the non-Mei audience.

It doesn't help that Zarya, someone who out-Meis Mei already, counters her really well too.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Being on vacation is nice but it means I can't play Overwatch and that makes me sad.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bear is driving! posted:

She's a slightly better Hanzo, except that if anyone bitches at you for playing her, you can claim she's a healer and tell them to get stuffed. It's shocking that anyone else gets played.

maev posted:

If a single person tries to put pressure on McCree he can just flashbang them. Against characters like Genji and Tracer, that's basically a guaranteed win for him.

Bolow posted:

Maybe they could let her actually hurt people, because right now her damage is rear end and it takes her forever to do what little damage she can. If she manages to hit a 200-health character with her primary fire for a few seconds, she can spend another second killing them with her M2...but that takes a lot longer than just left-clicking their head twice as McCree, even if you're not a particularly good shot. Her ice wall isn't good enough to balance out the fact that she takes twice as long as anyone else to kill anyone.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I had a kind of funny thing happen in Quickplay yesterday. I was on the team assembly screen defending Hollywood and peace'd out when we had a 50-hours-as-only-Genji-literally-battletag-was-Genji jump in along with a Bastion and a Hanzo. There was about 20 seconds left on the assembly timer so I wouldn't get a leaver penalty. I searched for a new game, and it took about 30 seconds to find one.

Low and behold, it sticks me in the exact game I just left at pretty much the beginning of the match. Figuring it was fate, I played it out. We lost very quickly. The funny thing is that it gave me backfill EXP and didn't count it as a loss against me despite the fact that I was 'backfilling' myself and I played the entire round minus maybe 5 seconds at the beginning. I'm assuming someone else dropped in and left immediately prior to it sticking me back in there. Otherwise backfilling yourself seems like a really odd thing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I would like for Mei's M2 to do additional damage per shot against frozen targets or fire faster. As it currently stands, you need to land a precise shot on a frozen target and hope they die because you'll probably only get one shot at them before thawing occurs. I get that a headshot on a frozen target should be easy, but if you're involved in a major dust up you have to hope a teammate sees the frozen dude and helps finish them. I think it's poo poo that McCree can flash bang stun and shoot people to death instantly but Mei needs to spend a second or two freezing people to then get a fleeting opportunity to land one loving shot.

This post brought to you by someone who has hated playing as and against McCree since the first night I played the game.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Played tracer last night for the first time and wrecked, turns out it doesn't really matter if you can't aim on console since nobody else can aim either and you are harder to hit. Unless there's a better tracer in which case i personally just switch to Winston and monkey it up

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Darth Windu posted:

Played tracer last night for the first time and wrecked, turns out it doesn't really matter if you can't aim on console since nobody else can aim either and you are harder to hit. Unless there's a better tracer in which case i personally just switch to Winston and monkey it up

I really wanna get good with Pharah, because noone is able to hit good ones on console, especially not mccrees. Sadly I am completely unable to hit anything with her rockets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it is fine for Mei to not do a lot of damage if her CC is stronger.

As it stands her CC is too weak to really be worth taking just for CC but too strong to really give her meaningful damage. If she froze people quickly but didn't do a lot of damage she'd be stronger from a team perspective but weaker from an individual perspective which... honestly feels about right for her?

Her gimmick is 'freezing people so they're vulnerable." She shouldn't also need "... so I can kill them." She should be making it easier for her teammates to kill enemies, not freezing and oneshotting them herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

celewign posted:

actually he was a marginal pick before this patch and pretty much rock bottom tier now

ImpAtom posted:

I think it is fine for Mei to not do a lot of damage if her CC is stronger.

Mei's damage is already so low she needs strong CC to make up for it. (And she doesn't have strong CC, obviously.) As long as you're not saying her damage should be even lower, I agree with this post.