Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Palladium posted:

That explains why my Zotac 1070 AMP was able to clock itself all the way up to 1922MHz in Witcher 3 even though the boost spec is only 1797MHz.

Still I wonder who would be *that* dumb to buy something like a $330 Asus Strix 1060 instead of any 1070 when available at ~$400.

Yeah my G1 went to 1970-something right out the box. I understand the disappointment in some, but try to think of it as aweeesomeeeee they finally made a card that *almost* runs the best that it possibly can right out of the box.

Any lower clocks would have to be intentionally set to actually override boost 3.0. "Eco mode", different models of the same chip (cough evga), and so on.

or nvidia implemented hard limits for future rebrands :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Been reading up on the AMD news out of Siggraph.

And um.

I know we kind of semi-mocked the whole SSD-on-GPU thing, but an 8K timeline realtime scrubbing at 92 FPS? That's.... not nothing.

That's actually kind of absurd.

Can you explain why that's absurd? What's the typical performance right now?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

axeil posted:

At 16x1080p resolution? I can guarantee the answer is "not that good", for literally anything you want to do, unless you're re compressing with every intermediate step (which would be terrible).

For a lot of compute tasks, device memory capacity is the limiting scaling factor, and having a 6x increase in "host-memory" performance (or something on that order of capacity) is really good.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 27, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

axeil posted:

Oh, you know, just a complete stuttery mess at 17 FPS.

Really envision this now: Editing video in 8K with realtime scrubbing. 8K as in 7680x4320. That's 33,177,600 pixels, four times 4K's resolution.

e:fb

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Really envision this now: Editing video in 8K with realtime scrubbing. 8K as in 7680x4320. That's 33,177,600 pixels, four times 4K's resolution.

A hard number is crazy useful. Holy poo poo. That's the difference between being able to do it and see it the way it's intended and not even close.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Palladium posted:

Still I wonder who would be *that* dumb to buy something like a $330 Asus Strix 1060 instead of any 1070 when available at ~$400.

There are brand new 980tis for the same price as top end 1060s in the UK.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

How did they pull it off, does it have a real-life application?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Update on the Radeon Pro SSG: It's.... FIJI?! :psyboom:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10518/amd-announces-radeon-pro-ssg-fiji-with-m2-ssds-onboard
http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Introduces-Radeon-Pro-SSG-Professional-GPU-Paired-Low-Latency-Flash-Storage

Okay, so, if it's not a lack of shaders, and it's not a lack of bandwidth, since obviously flash storage is many orders slower than DRAM (but it is a lot "closer" as a result of the layout), what the hell is GCN's problem that keeps it from "getting up there"?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 27, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Given that it's been proven that the hotter a 950 or (insert NVMe drive here) gets causes performance degradation through thermal throttling...I can't...how does putting one a few inches away from a notoriously hot GPU...

...you know what, never mind.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I got an email from OcUK saying they still can't get the 1080 Strix OC in, but don't worry - I can swap over to a slower clocked cheaper card and they won't charge me extra for it. loving :lol:

Are there any benchmarks comparing a standard 980Ti to a 1080 at 3440x1440?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

ijyt posted:

So I got an email from OcUK saying they still can't get the 1080 Strix OC in, but don't worry - I can swap over to a slower clocked cheaper card and they won't charge me extra for it. loving :lol:

Are there any benchmarks comparing a standard 980Ti to a 1080 at 3440x1440?

The 1080 is 25-30% faster. You didn't really preorder a 1080 for 799 loving pounds, did you now?
You can switch to the Palit GameRock Premier for 638, at least that one has a factory memory OC.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Update on the Radeon Pro SSG: It's.... FIJI?! :psyboom:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10518/amd-announces-radeon-pro-ssg-fiji-with-m2-ssds-onboard
http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Introduces-Radeon-Pro-SSG-Professional-GPU-Paired-Low-Latency-Flash-Storage

Okay, so, if it's not a lack of shaders, and it's not a lack of bandwidth, since obviously flash storage is many orders slower than DRAM (but it is a lot "closer" as a result of the layout), what the hell is GCN's problem that keeps it from "getting up there"?

This is likely a prototype for a Vega Radeon Pro SSG, but what's Fury performance in comparison for similar tasks? Or as noted in the Anand article

quote:

Current cards can spill over to system memory, and while the PCIe bus is fast, it’s still much slower than local memory, plus it is subject to the latency of the relatively long trip and waiting on the CPU to address requests.

quote:

After putting some thought into it, I think AMD has hit upon the fact that most M.2 slots on motherboards are routed through the system chipset rather than being directly attached to the CPU. This not only adds another hop of latency, but it means crossing the relatively narrow DMI 3.0 (~PCIe 3.0 x4) link that is shared with everything else attached to the chipset.

Maybe there answer is there, it's not that AMD GPUs lack in bandwidth, but maybe they're slowing down due to having to access system memory in someway. Faster CPUs and memory types means less latency for a request, so they're less likely to run screaming into a brick wall on performance. Dropping even a 32gb/s 1TB NAND storage on it means it never has to make those requests to the CPU again? If so, then AMD GPUs would love 3D Xpoint memory.

So as far as a wonder product goes for AMD, this has potential customers in oil & gas, movie production, VR/AR, space agencies, chemical companies, and ?. Does Nvidia have a comparable product?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given that it's been proven that the hotter a 950 or (insert NVMe drive here) gets causes performance degradation through thermal throttling...I can't...how does putting one a few inches away from a notoriously hot GPU...

The Nano doesn't run that hot TBH.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

The 1080 is 25-30% faster. You didn't really preorder a 1080 for 799 loving pounds, did you now?
You can switch to the Palit GameRock Premier for 638, at least that one has a factory memory OC.

No it was £619.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Is it worth waiting for the Sapphire RX480 Nitro or should I just go for a decent 1060? Will there be much appreciable difference between the two (besides price) or is it too early to tell?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

ijyt posted:

No it was £619.

Pre brexit price? Wow has it really soared to £799?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

snuff posted:

Pre brexit price? Wow has it really soared to £799?

Yeah, partly also they just want people to stop ordering that one. They have the most apathetic customer service I've ever dealt with, doubt I'll be shopping with them again. Had to twist their arm just to get morning delivery but I'm just glad I don't have to ever try and find information on those forums again.

2 months and not a single email updating on the stock situation.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

xthetenth posted:

A hard number is crazy useful. Holy poo poo. That's the difference between being able to do it and see it the way it's intended and not even close.

The idea isn't really anything terribly new, and the performance isn't actually as much of a jump as you'd think.

Here is an article from 2011 about a partnership between NVIDIA and FusionIO. They were able to drive 12x1080p displays at 60hz.

So once again, AMD has succeeded at catching up to NVIDIA products from a generation ago :xd:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

FaustianQ posted:

This is likely a prototype for a Vega Radeon Pro SSG, but what's Fury performance in comparison for similar tasks? Or as noted in the Anand article

Maybe there answer is there, it's not that AMD GPUs lack in bandwidth, but maybe they're slowing down due to having to access system memory in someway. Faster CPUs and memory types means less latency for a request, so they're less likely to run screaming into a brick wall on performance. Dropping even a 32gb/s 1TB NAND storage on it means it never has to make those requests to the CPU again? If so, then AMD GPUs would love 3D Xpoint memory.

So as far as a wonder product goes for AMD, this has potential customers in oil & gas, movie production, VR/AR, space agencies, chemical companies, and ?. Does Nvidia have a comparable product?

The Nano doesn't run that hot TBH.

Don't forget the use in medicine they love imaging also.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hubis posted:

The idea isn't really anything terribly new, and the performance isn't actually as much of a jump as you'd think.

Here is an article from 2011 about a partnership between NVIDIA and FusionIO. They were able to drive 12x1080p displays at 60hz.

So once again, AMD has succeeded at catching up to NVIDIA products from a generation ago :xd:

they had to use four gpus to do it though

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

they had to use four gpus to do it though

The newer solution also has a colour advantage as well, something to consider.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's a problem with one specific M.2 drive. There's going to be a whole bunch of these things on the market very soon; what are the odds all of them are prone to overheating?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it also stands to note that M.2 nvme drives don't even come with passive cooling and in most cases only get their cooling from the enclosures, namely those in Skull Canyon and this thing (Intel RTG conspiracy; Half-Life 3 confirmed)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hubis posted:

These are two different things. Driving X number of displays is one thing, being able to scrub forwards AND BACKWARDS in realtime through footage in an editting context is far more processing intensive than JUST playing 12 1080p videos.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I also really like the chosen blue, less Intel's baby blue, more FURIOUS HEAT OF THE SURFACE OF A THOUSAND SUNS blue.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
http://videocardz.com/62672/amd-radeon-rx-470-and-radeon-rx-460-official-specs-and-performance

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Huh, so the memory speed is down a bit even vs 4GB 480s, the 8GB 470 SKU is gone, but the 470 still looks like a sweet spot for normal gamers who run long upgrade cycles on modest budgets. This should be a nice jump up from a 660 Ti or 7850 or something.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Has anyone in here managed to snag a Sapphire or Powercolor 480? Ive heard the Sapphire has been showing up periodically on Newegg. I was wondering why my nowinstock was not working. Turns out I added the 4gb version and that was why I received no alert.

Hopefully when more stock comes in it stays available for longer than a minute.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 27, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

These are two different things. Driving X number of displays is one thing, being able to scrub forwards AND BACKWARDS in realtime through footage in an editting context is far more processing intensive than JUST playing 12 1080p videos.

I was just going to say this. Pushing a bunch of 1080P screens is nothing compared to scrubbing around with an 8K video file. That is pretty mind blowing and really is awesome. Hah I have an old Asus G73JH that has a hard time scrubbing through mp4 1440p stuff when I edit it in Premiere. I couldn't imagine pushing 4K through it let alone 8K on even my 6 core without some major SSD room. The question for 8K content creators though, would 1TB be enough? That's not a hard limit on the card is it? Just more of a soft limit until Samsung or Intel release a larger M.2 drive that isn't just 512G?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

FaustianQ posted:

I also really like the chosen blue, less Intel's baby blue, more FURIOUS HEAT OF THE SURFACE OF A THOUSAND SUNS blue.

It'd be hilarious if it was the first use of YInMn blue.

EdEddnEddy posted:

The question for 8K content creators though, would 1TB be enough? That's not a hard limit on the card is it? Just more of a soft limit until Samsung or Intel release a larger M.2 drive that isn't just 512G?

1TB is roughly 3 minutes raw (err closer to 6 at 60fps, I was using numbers for UHD@120 fps).

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 27, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I linked this in the AMD thread, but this should be of some interest along the lines of the Radeon Pro SSG. MIT came out with a paper about a year ago showing that:

quote:

The researchers also presented experimental evidence showing that, if the servers executing a distributed computation have to go to disk for data even 5 percent of the time, their performance falls to a level that’s comparable with flash, anyway.

In other words, even without the researchers’ new techniques for accelerating data retrieval from flash memory, 40 servers with 10 terabytes’ worth of RAM couldn’t handle a 10.5-terabyte computation any better than 20 servers with 20 terabytes’ worth of flash memory, which would consume only a fraction as much power.

http://news.mit.edu/2015/cutting-cost-power-big-data-0710

EdEddnEddy posted:

I was just going to say this. Pushing a bunch of 1080P screens is nothing compared to scrubbing around with an 8K video file. That is pretty mind blowing and really is awesome. Hah I have an old Asus G73JH that has a hard time scrubbing through mp4 1440p stuff when I edit it in Premiere. I couldn't imagine pushing 4K through it let alone 8K on even my 6 core without some major SSD room. The question for 8K content creators though, would 1TB be enough? That's not a hard limit on the card is it? Just more of a soft limit until Samsung or Intel release a larger M.2 drive that isn't just 512G?

I want to say that 8K x 24 Hz x 10bit RAW is something like 60 GB/minute? But as the Anandtech article mentioned, those SSDs aren't pushing nearly as much data as they've been benchmarked to do so in the past.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I linked this in the AMD thread, but this should be of some interest along the lines of the Radeon Pro SSG. MIT came out with a paper about a year ago showing that:

http://news.mit.edu/2015/cutting-cost-power-big-data-0710

I want to say that 8K x 24 Hz x 10bit RAW is something like 60 GB/minute? But as the Anandtech article mentioned, those SSDs aren't pushing nearly as much data as they've been benchmarked to do so in the past.

Sooo... Say 10-25 years when we start streaming 8K Twitch streams to our 8K HMD's in the Facebook home Matrix?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sooo... Say 10-25 years when we start streaming 8K Twitch streams to our 8K HMD's in the Facebook home Matrix?

Just as soon as everyone gets 50+Gbps connections at home.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

SMPTE 2036 puts it closer to 48 Gbps at 120fps so 72GB/min at 24.

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 27, 2016

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Nah, UHD video will probably never make it to mainstream use, but the pixel counts for VR video will be similar (or higher) so a solution to the editing problem does need to be found.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Green Gloves posted:

Has anyone in here managed to snag a Sapphire or Powercolor 480? Ive heard the Sapphire has been showing up periodically on Newegg. I was wondering why my nowinstock was not working. Turns out I added the 4gb version and that was why I received no alert.

Hopefully when more stock comes in it stays available for longer than a minute.

I'm sure the Ebay bots have gotten quite a few. I haven't seen any pop up on nowinstock at all. At this point I'm praying Amazon starts shipping pre-orders this week.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EoRaptor posted:

Nah, UHD video will probably never make it to mainstream use, but the pixel counts for VR video will be similar (or higher) so a solution to the editing problem does need to be found.

At the very least, movies may be shot in 8K. I don't have a source on this other than "I heard Adam Savage talk about this on his podcast" but according to him, someone out there has successfully created a postprocess to make digitial footage look like film. And if, for all intents and purposes, if you can't tell the difference between film and digital, why would you not shoot in digital and reap the ease and benefit of smaller cameras, not being able to run out of celluloid, being able to just leave the cameras rolling, and being able to see your result right away? Being able to scrub through footage in the editing room in this manner would ease the adoption rate towards a digital-based movie industry.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 27, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

EoRaptor posted:

I feel like you could have said this about full HD 15 years ago. You can buy a 4K TV for well under $1000 and a Netflix subscription allows you to stream 4K to it for $12/month, so while adoption isn't widespread yet I'm curious - why do you think it's likely that it never will be?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The movie industry is almost all digital at this point. At the production level, almost all mainstream films are shot digitally, except when high-powered directors specially push for celluloid. Fuji has stopped producing motion picture film, and Kodak was about to stop as well, until they made a deal with the studios to keep the production lines alive

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Capture, in many cases, is still sub 4k. 2.8k is still a very common capture resolution (Mad Max Fury Road is one recent example). Also, 2k DIs are still very common because it takes extra time to work with a 4k DI and time is money in the movie industry. The tools getting better and faster will help drive higher resolution movies, but we aren't quite there yet in a lot of cases.

In the end, a lot of UHD stuff out there was actually captured above 1080p but below full 4k and then upscaled. Effects work is often only rendered at 1080p (or even lower) since it is so time intensive. There are very few examples of pure 4k end to end out there and often times those examples are older films (pre 2000 so they have a film intermediate and otherwise devoid of CGI.)

70mm films are the ticket. I would kill for a proper UHD copy of Blade Runner or 2001 (and those should be coming since Warner remastered them in 8k when they restored then recently.)

UHD is actually more exciting as a spec when it comes to HDR and colorspace. If you buy a 4k TV and it's not HDR capable and not REC.2020 compliant, you are only getting a fraction of what the UHD standard is about.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
RX 480 CAD Pricing :lol:

Sapphire Nitro+ 8GB $384.98
Sapphire Nitro+ OC 8GB $399.98

I got a 390 on order for $270ish ($320-20-30) :lol:

edit: some guy got a refurb 390X for the same price :argh:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
And the paypal checkout code no longer works on Newegg. No way I am paying $280 on Newegg or nearly $300 on Amazon.

Thanks AMD.