Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 29, 1929)

Loss, Regret, Despair, and Night Terrors (Featuring Good Ol' Charlie Brown)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 14-15, 1929)

Today's Thimble Theater is for those of you who were worried that the Sea Hag was an innocent monstrosity. (February 13, 1930)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This Catdog reboot is terrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm impressed a guy who runs a soup kitchen and a woman who uh does I'm not actually sure can afford to rent TWO beach houses in the summer.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

I'm impressed a guy who runs a soup kitchen and a woman who uh does I'm not actually sure can afford to rent TWO beach houses in the summer.

She's a music blogger I think? Or writes a column or something like that? Obviously a lot of money in that!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine Meets Mysterious Reruns

https://twitter.com/stephanpastis/status/758290165123076096

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

There are already stench-lines coming off those garbage bags. It's too late for your car.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Alley Oop seems a bit one-note, doesn't it?

Yeah, this part of the story is pretty weirdly paced for a newspaper strip. Things will start to move forward pretty soon, though (in about two weeks, IIRC).

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Green Intern posted:

There are already stench-lines coming off those garbage bags. It's too late for your car.

I was proofing this whole week of strips at work last Monday, and I don't understand why it's so drat imperative to take the garbage to the dump on your way to a wedding. Your daughter is participating in the ceremony. Just do it tomorrow you big dumb idiot.

Do you also swing by the car wash on your way to a funeral?

painynumbs fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 27, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It is the most artificial sort of soap drama.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Makes me glad I was born after they invented garbage men.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Does Canada not have trash pickup?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Does Canada not have trash pickup?

In some rural areas no, but they are in a city, so I have no idea.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 27, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Why would the IT guy have access to security footage?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's actually medical waste from his dentistry. He's just too cheap to pay for professional disposal.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I was wondering if it might be that. I'll post it here when it becomes available.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

dordreff posted:

Why would the IT guy have access to security footage?

Because modern security camera systems are IP based and recorded on to servers that are managed by IT.

This comic is still stupid.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I haven't followed this thread in ages, but I just learned that Richard Thompson has passed away from complications from Parkinson's.
e: relevant blog post

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What a goddamn huge shame, for real

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Let Modesty Blaise be a salve for your pain:

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 27, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I haven't followed this thread in ages, but I just learned that Richard Thompson has passed away from complications from Parkinson's.

Man.... If Heaven exists I hope he's up there cartooning.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Well, poo poo. CDS was my favorite comic in the thread, and it's really sad to see someone with so much talent go down in such a way.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Titus Sardonicus posted:

:smith:

I'll just quote that blog post

quote:

We're poorer for his loss, but richer for his life and art.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Titus Sardonicus posted:

This loving year. :smith:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

mother

FUCKER

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Did I miss the part in this arc when it was revealed the carrot-top character can't poo poo in public restrooms?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I haven't followed this thread for years but god damnit, I always had this unreasonable hope that Cul De Sac would somehow make a return in some form even though there was no actual way that was going to happen but now there really is no actual way that will actually happen :smith:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
A reminder, from a few threads back:

Otterloop posted:

A friend told me about this thread 6 or 7 months ago, saying it's written by actual newspaper comic strip fans, close readers of the form who hold passionate opinions. So I started lurking, not so often as to be creepy, but enough to get a feel for what the readership is thinking. I'd sworn to keep my mouth shut and my head down so I didn't sway the conversation, or stifle the debate, or something.

But the hell with that; I want to thank you for the various kind words about Cul de Sac. Those who didn't care for the strip (it did take some getting used to) resisted snarkiness and I appreciate that. Those who enjoyed it were generous with praise. So again, thanks. You've been a great crowd. And I loved the little animations, especially Dill running in tight circles.

All best,

Richard Thompson

ps: I'm just quitting; I'm not retiring.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

axleblaze posted:

I haven't followed this thread for years but god damnit, I always had this unreasonable hope that Cul De Sac would somehow make a return in some form even though there was no actual way that was going to happen but now there really is no actual way that will actually happen :smith:

It says a lot to his talent as a cartoonist that, even when he was writing the strips himself, no other cartoonist could make CDS feel right enough to publish regularly.

I'm way more upset about newspaper comics than I ought to be.

BigDave posted:

A reminder, from a few threads back:

Cool dude.:unsmith:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But Mike Lester carries on. A cruel world.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Come the gently caress on 2016. :(

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
And yet Mike Lester is still alive poisoning the world with his vile dreck. gently caress this planet. .

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 27, 2016

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Aw man. And it was also just reported that cartoonist Jack Davis has died, too.

2016 really sucks.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is the right time, but apparently there's a Prince Valiant RPG system campaign going on at Kickstarter. It's supposed to be simpler and more accessible so it calls itself a Storytelling Game. I have no clue about these things so can't tell you how good it sounds, but I figured you should know because it's Prince Valiant.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I haven't followed this thread for a couple of years, but I remember Cul-de-sac as one of the real highlights. I always enjoyed Thompson's work from the writing to the art. He just consistently nailed it.

:smith:

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

God loving dammit. I'm trying to hold back the tears. :smith:

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
Richard Thompson was an incredible cartoonist and and a wonderful person. Cul de Sac for me and for everyone I've introduced it to is always a beautiful experience. That strip is so full of genuine love that it still floors me sometimes. I don't think anyone can capture that balance of love and laugh-out-loud humor quite like he did in the strip's criminally short time. A true master of the craft and overall chill dude.

Later, RT. Everyone will miss you. :(

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

That's awful. :smith: CDS was consistently the best strip posted here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I saw him in person a few months ago. He was definitely not doing very well.

It's a drat shame that someone so creative and wonderful had to suffer like he did.

Rest in Peace, sir.

• Locked thread