Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

It's dumb and does nothing to accomplish its stated goal of giving the armies who lose a battle a chance to recover because you can and should still follow them and finish them off, it just takes longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

It's dumb and does nothing to accomplish its stated goal of giving the armies who lose a battle a chance to recover because you can and should still follow them and finish them off, it just takes longer.

Instead of forced retreats it might be more interesting if they force-disbanded armies that lost bad enough to simulate a medieval army scatting and breaking after a particularly bad defeat.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Luckily literally everyone will be able to turn off shattered retreat next patch, too bad you can't turn off the entire conclave dlc

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Except for the launcher where you can explicitly turn off conclave in it's entirety.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Conclave may well be my favorite CK2 DLC. What's currently keeping me from sinking any more time into CK2 is poor performance and constant slowdowns.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Odobenidae posted:

Except for the launcher where you can explicitly turn off conclave in it's entirety.

Oh man don't I look dumb!!!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Darth Windu posted:

Luckily literally everyone will be able to turn off shattered retreat next patch, too bad you can't turn off the entire conclave dlc

But why would you need to? The bad stuff is in the patch.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CK2 warfare would be a million times better if they just aped EU and added in forts with ZoC, and maybe tweaked warscore contribution from battles to be higher. And also if it let you press all dejure claims and poo poo at once, so that wars actually feel decisive and not like a scheduled slap fest every ten years.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I like Shattered Retreat.
It means I have a chance to rally if I lose one bad battle, and it stops me chasing town tiny armies, which was just a bunch of faff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Demon_Corsair posted:

Can anyone please give me a quick primer on how war score works? I have gone to war with England to take my one of my Irish duchies. I hold all the holdings in 2 of the 3 counties, and sit at about 20% war score. They have won 2 major battles and it cost me 40-50% war score. I have won two major battles and killed two of their kings and I don't get jack poo poo. What makes some battles major point swings and other inconsequential?

Edit: looked at the numbers, battles where I killed their King? 7.2 and 6. Battle that was a major route and cost me a poo poo ton to hire mercenaries? 1.6%. Their battles range from 17-35%. Do they just stack the numbers in favor of the computer as an AI balancing thing?

No. War score is based on how much of their army you've destroyed or how much of their turf - relative - you're holding. Killing 3000 men in battle means a lot more when your opponent has 6000 levies than it does when he has 40000.

In this case it sounds to me like you're taking on the entire of England with two thirds of Ireland. You're probably outnumbered 3 to 1 in troops and 4 to 1 or more in territory. So yeah, his victories are more significant than yours.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Killing the enemy ruler but not getting war score has always been silly, to be honest.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the better way to handle it in paradox games is that the winning army should suffer an organization penalty. Not enough to ensure you'll lose the next battle, but enough to make you at least think twice about automatically pursuing a beaten enemy. Scale the penalty to the intensity of the battle. Beat them in the skirmish phaseand the penalty is small. A knockdown, dragged out month long battle will have a huge penalty.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Simplex posted:

I think the better way to handle it in paradox games is that the winning army should suffer an organization penalty. Not enough to ensure you'll lose the next battle, but enough to make you at least think twice about automatically pursuing a beaten enemy. Scale the penalty to the intensity of the battle. Beat them in the skirmish phaseand the penalty is small. A knockdown, dragged out month long battle will have a huge penalty.

This is already a thing, the losing army will have knocked out some of their organization, and will have knocked out more if the battle went on a long time. By nature, since typically the loser loses because he runs out of organization, the winner will have more and will win again.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Rumda posted:

But why would you need to? The bad stuff is in the patch.

You keep saying this even though people have said before that it's not just the patch items that they hate.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Are you using organization to mean morale or am I even worse at ck2 than I thought?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

cool and good posted:

Are you using organization to mean morale or am I even worse at ck2 than I thought?

Yes, probably, I've been playing a lot of Hearts of Iron lately.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Shattered retreat sucks and it makes surrounding a county pointless instead of awesome

Shattered retreat makes underdog wars a lot more fun since I'm not completely hosed if a major force gets caught by the enemy doomstack before I was ready to fight. It gives me room to shuffle troops around to try and recover from the situation, as opposed to saying "well, guess I lose this war". It's a welcome addition that makes CKII warfare between comparable forces slightly more interactive than "crash doomstacks into each other, winner gets to micromanage their troops for ten minutes in order to drive home the inevitable victory". I guess it's boring if you're always the big dog who's methodically stomping all their neighbors one at a time, but I feel like people would hate the Conclave patch a lot less if they tried starting as a small vassal or something.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I only pick fights I'm pretty sure I'm going to win. I don't mind the shattered retreat stuff so much though. What bugs me is vassals spending wild amounts of money to make people join their factions constantly. I dunno if the ai cheats with that and upgrading their holdings because they do get around to it eventually.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Weird question, but is there some kind of console command to incorporate a duchy into a kingdom without having to wait the 100 years ?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Getting real tired of England invading Ireland, getting loving bounced at the shoreline, and then having to chase them all the way to goddamn Cambridge

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

This is already a thing, the losing army will have knocked out some of their organization, and will have knocked out more if the battle went on a long time. By nature, since typically the loser loses because he runs out of organization, the winner will have more and will win again.

I forgot the term is morale in CK2, but the problem as I see it is that after you win a battle the losing side always has near zero morale, while the winning side retains their morale, which is what enables you to ping-pong the enemy until its fully destroyed. The shattered retreat is supposed to address this problem by allowing an army to retreat unmolested, but I think it's fixing the issue from the wrong side. The victorious side should have more difficulty in rampaging around the countryside after winning a battle than they currently do.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

Weird question, but is there some kind of console command to incorporate a duchy into a kingdom without having to wait the 100 years ?

Nope, but there's mods to reduce the time, or ones that let you spend gold/piety/prestige to incorporate it instead.

There was an old mod called De-jure adjudication that broke on the conclave update.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=637028699 is when someone else took it and re-branded it without attribution.
The owner is an arsehole who deleted my comments when I asked him if he would be giving someone else credit for doing all the work.

I had been fiddling with the old version of the mod to keep it up to date and make it work safely in multiplayer or allowing vassals to transfer the de-jure status of titles.
I stripped out custom title creation as that's something another mod could do, so it barely resembles the original mod, but I was planning to provide credit.
It's basically done, if you're interested I can tidy it up and publish it to the workshop.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
:coffeepal:

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks man!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Simplex posted:

I forgot the term is morale in CK2, but the problem as I see it is that after you win a battle the losing side always has near zero morale, while the winning side retains their morale, which is what enables you to ping-pong the enemy until its fully destroyed. The shattered retreat is supposed to address this problem by allowing an army to retreat unmolested, but I think it's fixing the issue from the wrong side. The victorious side should have more difficulty in rampaging around the countryside after winning a battle than they currently do.

The losing side is always going to have less morale because it has to be reduced to zero for it to lose. Unless you want to also reduce the winning side's morale to zero, which is stupid because then what is the point in even winning?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Simplex posted:

Shattered retreat addresses the problem by giving the loser some time and space in which to scrape together more troops to salvage the situation. For example, with shattered retreat it's possible to raise some mercenaries and send them to the retreat destination to save your army and prevent it from being completely annihilated, whereas without shattered retreat your army would be ground down to worthlessness long before you got there and you'd have to fight the rest of the war with mercs alone. To me, it's a welcome bit of depth to CKII's mostly-brainless warfare, though the AI is rarely able to make use of it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Shattered retreat addresses the problem by giving the loser some time and space in which to scrape together more troops to salvage the situation. For example, with shattered retreat it's possible to raise some mercenaries and send them to the retreat destination to save your army and prevent it from being completely annihilated, whereas without shattered retreat your army would be ground down to worthlessness long before you got there and you'd have to fight the rest of the war with mercs alone. To me, it's a welcome bit of depth to CKII's mostly-brainless warfare, though the AI is rarely able to make use of it.

I'd be more okay with it if they turned on the "50% movement means you're committed" mechanic from EU4. It's really annoying when the enemy army keeps running away from you and you can't catch up because the shattered retreat allowed them to move ahead of you.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Goofballs posted:

I only pick fights I'm pretty sure I'm going to win. I don't mind the shattered retreat stuff so much though. What bugs me is vassals spending wild amounts of money to make people join their factions constantly. I dunno if the ai cheats with that and upgrading their holdings because they do get around to it eventually.

When I wrote it and at the time of release of Conclave it didn't cheat. Haven't worked on it in a while so might have changed but pretty sure it did the same at that time. It just budgets better than you think maybe? :shrug:
There is also more ways to get favors than through money and there is also more ways to flip votes than only through favors. I think it's just selective that when it happens to you it becomes more apparent and happens "all the time".

cock hero flux posted:

The losing side is always going to have less morale because it has to be reduced to zero for it to lose. Unless you want to also reduce the winning side's morale to zero, which is stupid because then what is the point in even winning?

It isn't reduced to zero*, the army will enter retreat phase at 20-15%** morale I believe. The only way to make what people here discussed is to make both armies deal exactly or almost exactly the same morale damage to each other which I find kinda boring. Otherwise with a "winning penalty" it is just gonna end up sometimes in weird situations with like winning army having 0% morale left while the fleeing army has 5-10% left. And then you get mad because now the losing army is gonna kick your rear end immediately afterwards(since in this case we don't have shattered retreat)

*Of course subject to various factors like unit composition, tech and leaders but it is not guaranteed
**Been a long time since I worked on CK2 so I don't remember exactly the numbers.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 27, 2016

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Groogy posted:

When I wrote it and at the time of release of Conclave it didn't cheat. Haven't worked on it in a while so might have changed but pretty sure it did the same at that time. It just budgets better than you think maybe? :shrug:
There is also more ways to get favors than through money and there is also more ways to flip votes than only through favors. I think it's just selective that when it happens to you it becomes more apparent and happens "all the time".

I dunno I'm obviously not going to say you're wrong because you made the game I'm just wondering and mentioning what I saw in an ironman 768 till end game I played through like 2 months ago. I don't notice so much in the shorter games basically because I cheat in short ones. Anyhow it just seemed that they were getting people who liked my dickhead rulers into the factions a lot, someone explained to me it was favors and it just seemed like a lot of gold given that they were upgrading stuff, slower than me for sure but still hitting milestones. Some of the people I'm sure were cheaper than others. It just seemed implausible because i hosed up in the first half or so of the game and was asking council members for favors and then trying to buy favors back before they could gently caress me with law change votes and it put a significant dent in my ability to upgrade structures.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Groogy posted:

It's probably just because the AI is a lot slower to invest in buildings than players usually are. They seem to prefer to spend money on short term things like buying favours. It's not really "budgeting better", just prioritizing how the money gets spent differently.

Goofballs posted:

I dunno I'm obviously not going to say you're wrong because you made the game I'm just wondering and mentioning what I saw in an ironman 768 till end game I played through like 2 months ago. I don't notice so much in the shorter games basically because I cheat in short ones. Anyhow it just seemed that they were getting people who liked my dickhead rulers into the factions a lot, someone explained to me it was favors and it just seemed like a lot of gold given that they were upgrading stuff, slower than me for sure but still hitting milestones. Some of the people I'm sure were cheaper than others. It just seemed implausible because i hosed up in the first half or so of the game and was asking council members for favors and then trying to buy favors back before they could gently caress me with law change votes and it put a significant dent in my ability to upgrade structures.

The thing about the AI buying people into their factions is that it lets them inflate the faction numbers but it also makes the faction super fragile - the people only owe their loyalty to the person who paid them off, so it's just a matter of getting the faction leader out somehow (spymaster "discourage from joining factions" action, imprisoning/assassinating them, putting them on the council, etc.). As soon as the leader is forced out of the faction all the people they paid to join will immediately leave.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 27, 2016

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

:coffeepal:

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks man!

Got stagefright about the idea of having to put more effort into supporting users or develop it further, so I just threw my mod up on GitHub.

I named it Imperial Reorganisation since I had the idea of tying it to Imperial Administration to remove the piety, prestige and opinion cost. I never got that far though.

The general idea is you get to designate a recipient title with the right-click context menu, which must be a title that exists and you control, and then you can use the context menu on a lower tier title to move it.

The De-Jure Adjudication mod set a title flag, which meant effectively only one player could use it at once.
My mod sets variables on the titles to give them a unique ID that I can use in-game, and sets that on the character, so you can search through titles to find which title the character had assigned, since I'm fairly sure that event targets wouldn't work for this, as I tried many times in the past.

EDIT: A fun feature is that you can change which Duchy Counties belong to, so you could make everything one big duchy if you wanted, or make all those titular duchies contain the county their capital is in.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Hey grroogy. Is stellaris good yet

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Jedit posted:

No. War score is based on how much of their army you've destroyed or how much of their turf - relative - you're holding. Killing 3000 men in battle means a lot more when your opponent has 6000 levies than it does when he has 40000.

In this case it sounds to me like you're taking on the entire of England with two thirds of Ireland. You're probably outnumbered 3 to 1 in troops and 4 to 1 or more in territory. So yeah, his victories are more significant than yours.

Ahh, I thought it was based on armies in the battle, not totals.

Means you have to be super strategic taking on a bigger power since your victories are worth less and defeats hurt more.

So I save scummed a bit, and started my war about 5 years earlier with an incapacitated king, Scotland as my ally and England fighting a war in Spain. Went much better.

Think long term I need to make Scotland mine, marry up a nice alliance with France then start loving up England.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

So I was reading the dev diary and I was reminded of the tale of Genghis Khan killing someone by pouring molten silver in his eyes and ears.

Please don't put that method of death in.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WilliamAnderson posted:

So I was reading the dev diary and I was reminded of the tale of Genghis Khan killing someone by pouring molten silver in his eyes and ears.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WilliamAnderson posted:

Marco polo said that after the sacking of Baghdad, the Mongols locked the caliph in a tower full of gold and material possessions, and left him in there to die. :getin:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Volkerball posted:

Marco polo said that after the sacking of Baghdad, the Mongols locked the caliph in a tower full of gold and material possessions, and left him in there to die. :getin:

Hell yeah

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is the "lock someone in a room with only a high unreachable window and screw driven fans on the outside kick up a buncha dust and slowly suffocate the prisoner" execution in

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well, so far we know of hanging, beheading, immurement, crucifixion and elephant stomping. That leaves 26 modes, so speculate away. I can think of:

Impalement
Drowning (please add butt of Malmsey event for assassination, TIA)
Burning (wicker man optional)
Hanging, drawing and quartering
Disembowelment
Dismemberment by wild horses
Dismemberment by blade
Manual strangulation
Forced suicide (poison and knife may count separately here)
Archery firing squad (a la St Sebastian)
Stoning
Being cast from a high place
Racking
Pressing
Cutting out of the heart
Snu-snu
Starvation/thirst
Exposure

I don't know how it would be implemented, but trial by combat would be interesting.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new DLC sounds cool and all but to be quite honest. There's too much poo poo in the game now. A lot of stuff just feels tacked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Well, so far we know of hanging, beheading, immurement, crucifixion and elephant stomping. That leaves 26 modes, so speculate away. I can think of:

Impalement
Drowning (please add butt of Malmsey event for assassination, TIA)
Burning (wicker man optional)
Hanging, drawing and quartering
Disembowelment
Dismemberment by wild horses
Dismemberment by blade
Manual strangulation
Forced suicide (poison and knife may count separately here)
Archery firing squad (a la St Sebastian)
Stoning
Being cast from a high place
Racking
Pressing
Cutting out of the heart
Snu-snu
Starvation/thirst
Exposure

I don't know how it would be implemented, but trial by combat would be interesting.

Breaking wheel

Larry Parrish posted:

The new DLC sounds cool and all but to be quite honest. There's too much poo poo in the game now. A lot of stuff just feels tacked on.

At this point it definitely feels like time for CK3 to synthesize all these disparate systems.

• Locked thread