Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

This is believable, just not really a Crowning Moment of Anything.

Back in high school we did Romeo & Juliet set in the 1960s in some weird meta-play that probably nobody gives a poo poo to hear about. We had a Bruni Olympic 6, a .22 Acorn blank gun, that would be used by Romeo to shoot Tybalt. The director wanted to acclimate everyone to the noise, so she sat the whole cast down and then just had them do the shooting with no warning on stage. There was a lot of screaming.

"Romeo & Juliet set in the 1960s" so West Side Story?

Also, using blanks on stage isn't the poo poo that didn't happen in this story. If anything, the stdh is that they didn't warn the audience.

Edit: new page, here's some weird poo poo

Evelyn Nesbit has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

This isn't made up. The US really doesn't have basic human rights.

do millennials literally think that slacking off is a basic human right?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

do millennials literally think that slacking off is a basic human right?

Your employer not being able to steal your personal property is.

Also, what's a millennial, dear?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
millennials are the people who are always staring at their cell phones

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I understand not wanting employees loving with their cell phones all day but the 'basic human rights' thing is more about some internal regime where someone is always watching you and if you do something as simple as read/send a text, they'll take the phone from you and hand it back at the end of the day. In the story it reads like they're all 'adults' in an office setting, not middle school.

My 60 year old mother never puts her cell phone down...does that make her a millennial?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A phone is a privilege, not a right.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

"Romeo & Juliet set in the 1960s" so West Side Story?

Sort of? The drama teacher did this weird meta plot where the story was that you were actually in a 1960s community center watching the hippies and white collars put on a play to settle their differences at a time when the Vietnam protests are increasing tensions. Every real life actor also had a second character (their 1960s actor in the play) with their own backstory and connections to the rest of the cast. No dialogue was added, so it all got conveyed through information in the program and having the actors occasionally "devolve into fighting" during the performance. What happened in the story is that the Tybalt and Mercutio actors got into a fistfight after their play sword fight, which led to Tybalt's actor pulling out a "real" knife and stabbing the other actor. Then Romeo gets loving pissed and grabs his bag and pulls out a "real" gun, which he uses to "really" shoot the Tybalt actor.

That drama teacher was a weird hippie.

quote:

Also, using blanks on stage isn't the poo poo that didn't happen in this story. If anything, the stdh is that they didn't warn the audience.

I don't think I've ever been to a play that warned the audience that a gun was going to be fired, except maybe some theme park shows. Phantom of the Opera and Misery on Broadway both didn't do it.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Jul 25, 2016

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think I've ever been to a play that warned the audience that a gun was going to be fired, except maybe some theme park shows. Phantom of the Opera and Misery on Broadway both didn't do it.

There are loads and loads of equity regulations for if a production is going to use a real firearm, as opposed to a fake gun with sound cues. You're not required to post a warning, but it's generally accepted that you should, just like you warn for smoking on stage or strobe lights. Usually it's just a sign posted on the door or a slip in the playbill or something, but it is definitely a thing that is done. A lot of smaller theatres will also contact the police or the sherif's office ahead of time and let them know when and how many shots there will be.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

CannedMacabre posted:

So apparently STDH stories ending with "Loch Ness Monsta!" is now a thing imgurians find to be the height of hilarity.

http://imgur.com/gallery/l0roE

Imgur people often find "black people" to be hilarious in a semi-racist way that I'm pretty sure comes from a sheltered upbringing and very limited exposure to actual black people. They are like middle-class people in the Midwest who loved the poo poo out of minstrel shows 100 years ago. Lots of internet memes come from this general attitude.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Joey Freshwater posted:

My 60 year old mother never puts her cell phone down...does that make her a millennial?

No. Just a oval office.

(my mother is 66 and will not put hers down when we're watching the goddamn Wire)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

oldpainless posted:

A phone is a privilege, not a right.

oldpainless? More like oldphoneless HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

edit: ^^^^^^^^^ BoyWhiz88 aren't you the goon who posted about working at Best Buy and talked about your Customers and Clients with a Capital C or somesuch?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

There are loads and loads of equity regulations for if a production is going to use a real firearm, as opposed to a fake gun with sound cues. You're not required to post a warning, but it's generally accepted that you should, just like you warn for smoking on stage or strobe lights. Usually it's just a sign posted on the door or a slip in the playbill or something, but it is definitely a thing that is done. A lot of smaller theatres will also contact the police or the sherif's office ahead of time and let them know when and how many shots there will be.

If they posted a warning on Broadway, it was easy to miss because I never saw it for two plays.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

chitoryu12 posted:

Sort of? The drama teacher did this weird meta plot where the story was that you were actually in a 1960s community center watching the hippies and white collars put on a play to settle their differences at a time when the Vietnam protests are increasing tensions. Every real life actor also had a second character (their 1960s actor in the play) with their own backstory and connections to the rest of the cast. No dialogue was added, so it all got conveyed through information in the program and having the actors occasionally "devolve into fighting" during the performance. What happened in the story is that the Tybalt and Mercutio actors got into a fistfight after their play sword fight, which led to Tybalt's actor pulling out a "real" knife and stabbing the other actor. Then Romeo gets loving pissed and grabs his bag and pulls out a "real" gun, which he uses to "really" shoot the Tybalt actor.

That drama teacher was a weird hippie.

I actually kinda like that concept, far out as it is. I mean, I love standard Shakespeare as much as the next guy, but it's fun to see people reinterpret or reimagine it in a different context (more than just costuming, I mean)

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Friend

quote:

This troper is not a good friend. I know it, I'll be the first one to tell you that. I cannot open up to someone, due to my mother leaving me when I was twelve. I hate myself, I barely feel emotion, and I'm prone to depressive episodes where I contemplate suicide, murder, running away and other such delightful things. Everyone in my eighth-grade class stayed away from me, I was a little lonely at times, but I figured that it if everyone stayed away from me, I couldn't hurt anyone. However, there was this one girl named Helena, who kept sitting next to me in class and lunch, walking with me in the hall, talking to me, asking me for help on homework, etc. Finally, one day I snapped and demanded to know why she didn't just leave me alone. It went something like this:
Me: Leave me alone. You're better off. Why do you care about me anyway?
Helena: Why would I leave you? You're my friend, of course I care about you.
Me: Shut up. You're lying. Get away from me. You're just like everybody else; pick on the girl who doesn't fit in.
Helena: I know that you don't believe in yourself and I know that you feel like no one believes in you, but I believe in you. I started believing when I first met you. I've never stopped. I won't stop. Ever.
PS: She hasn't.

Sister

quote:

In the rankings of sisters, I am most likely quite low on the list. I often treat my younger sister by five years like crap, never really thanking her for all the nice stuff she's done (she once spent an entire night making me a very complicated and beautiful papercraft doll for my birthday and I never said thank you, for instance), making her work herself half to death, and overall being a bitch. But, one year, while I was in college and vowing not to come home for the holidays because of a (admittedly stupid) argument with my parents, they still sent me a few things my sister wanted for Christmas. The usual, Harvest Moon DS Cute, Super Mario Galaxy, Ni GH Ts Journey of dreams... And most of all, a hug from her sister. Even after all the crap I put her through, she still loved me. In tears, I packed a makeshift travel bag, roadtripped down there, and basically broke into my house using some old lock breaking techniques. And there was my little sister, passed out in the living room while the DVD menu for Nightmare Before Christmas flashed on the TV. I tackled her, hugged her, I cried, she cried, we woke up my parents, group hug. Best Christmas ever.

Drill

quote:

This troper invoked this trope, and probably failed at it, recently. A girl named Roselynn who I happen to be good friends with recently broke up with her Jerkass boyfriend. She was, well, broken up about it. I walked up to her, and said, right to her face:
Roselynn... I know you're depressed right now, but if you're not going to believe in yourself... believe in me who believes in you, and your drill will be the drill that will pierce the heavens.

Hallelujah

quote:

Though more a 'reader of tropes' than a 'troper', this troper just had to share one of his experiences in Germany. He was stuck in one of the narrow stairwells at the Cathedral in Cologne, with hundreds of people packed in shoulder-to-shoulder above and below him. Nothing was moving, and everyone was grumbling - right up until the point where someone started in with Hallelujah. The version from Shrek. He got about to the third line, when someone else joined in, and another, and another, and by the first refrain everyone in earshot was singing and smiling, their voices shaking the walls of the cathedral. The line began to move moments later, and everyone from the top of the tower to the base of the stairs sung their way down - and were met at the bottom by a solid line of strangers, twenty long and deep, cheering, applauding wildly, even crying. Folks from the stairwell rushed over and embraced family or friends that had been waiting for them, and the initial singer ended up being praised in about four different languages as he made his way to the door. This could also be a Crowning Moment of Awesome, if read that way. Oh, and though I hope I hardly have to say it - I was the guy who started singing.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

"I don't have any emotions and that makes me really sad"

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I've visited that cathedral in Cologne and those queues are hellish and claustrophobic. If some twat started singing Hallelujah, that would have made the experience so much worse.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
"The version from Shrek."

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

I chose to believe this was said in the same sad, flat affect that it's written in.

Fat anime nerd awkwardly quoting a bad anime to a crying girl

e: like a depressed squidward

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ghost emoji posted:

"The version from Shrek."

New title.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

depressing as gently caress

this didn't happen as gently caress

cringey as gently caress

the version from shrek as gently caress

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Khazar-khum posted:

Oh, and though I hope I hardly have to say it - I was the guy who started singing

I wanna slap the smug outta his face.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I have a harder time reading these than I do reading about terrible diseases

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Geniasis posted:

I actually kinda like that concept, far out as it is. I mean, I love standard Shakespeare as much as the next guy, but it's fun to see people reinterpret or reimagine it in a different context (more than just costuming, I mean)

I agree, but it's not really something that you can easily pull off in high school. A better play would have actually explained the backstory of the "actor character" behind each Shakespeare character in the program or something so the relationships would be understandable, instead of hoping that your teenagers can have enough subtle influence on their acting to express all of it without changing a single line of dialogue from the Bard's original.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Whats different in the Shrek version? If it is different enough, why would ANYONE know that version by heart instead of the extremely well known original?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Nuclear War posted:

Whats different in the Shrek version? If it is different enough, why would ANYONE know that version by heart instead of the extremely well known original?

It's not different. Kids first heard the song in Shrek so that's how they refer to it. I assume by "Shrek version" they mean as opposed to the hymn.

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jul 26, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Christo posted:

It's not different. Kids first heard the song in Shrek so that's how they refer to it. I assume by "Shrek version" they mean as opposed to the hymn.
Shrek used the Rufus Wainwright version, but if you just google the title, you get mostly Jeff Buckley and Leonard Cohen. These guys time their phrasing differently, which makes it hard to sing along if you learned it one specific way.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
He needed to specify it was the Shrek version for [reason], he didn't want you to have the wrong mental versimillitude

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Khazar-khum posted:

they still sent me a few things my sister wanted for Christmas. The usual, Harvest Moon DS Cute, Super Mario Galaxy, Ni GH Ts Journey of dreams... And most of all, a hug from her sister.

What? I'm sure this makes sense somehow...but OP's parents sent her things that her sister wanted (?!), which included a hug from the sister's sister, the OP?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Her sister wanted that poo poo, which they mailed, and also a hug, which they did not. Tropers are terrible writers, that's all.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

but why did they send her things that her sister wanted?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's meant to be that they sent her the sister's Christmas list, not the actual items.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Enfys posted:

but why did they send her things that her sister wanted?

They sent her the things her sister wanted her to have.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Is this a dialect thing? because it barely makes sense.

It has to be this:

quote:

they still sent me a list of a few things my sister wanted for Christmas so I can buy them as her present. The usual items were on the list,, Harvest Moon DS Cute, Super Mario Galaxy, Ni GH Ts Journey of dreams... Andbut most of all she wanted a hug from her sister me.

but it's just so awkwardly worded.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Don't start trying to make troper tales more understandable, that way lies madness.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

jodai posted:

Don't start trying to make troper tales more understandable, that way lies madness.

Nah, it's pretty easy and can be done fairly quickly with little threat to your sanity:

"This troper had a Crowning Moment of Awesome when a bully [3k more words go here]"

is actually

"One time a bully said a mean thing and I stared at the floor, trying to hold back tears. I spent the rest of the day imagining fantasies in which I brutally owned him somehow despite being ridiculously awkward and a big fat baby"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Does anyone have that story where a guy and his sister go to the doctor, and his sister enjoyed every minute of it and pretended she did that thing with her hair?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I've heard it used fairly frequently in Australia, don't know about elsewhere. I always get emails from my mum telling me to "send me what you want for Christmas/birthday". Same from my northern English Granny when she was alive. It's one of those things like "bring a plate" where extra information is assumed (send me a list of what you want, bring a plate of food). I always find it weird and jarring when people say "he wrote me" rather than "he wrote to me", similarly.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Paladinus posted:

Does anyone have that story where a guy and his sister go to the doctor, and his sister enjoyed every minute of it and pretended she did that thing with her hair?

i got u fam

quote:

My mom called my doctor and said to him "What's the most accurate measurement for weighing?"
The doctor said "An underwater weighing test"
And just like that, my mom said "Yes. When can my son and my daughter can take it?" and the doc said "Today at 2pm."

So, I didn't bother taking a shower and so did my sister too, so I had to get into a special swimming suit (tight pants...Ugh).

My sister said "Can I pull my hair down to a ponytail?" The doctor said "No."
So my sister with her long, blonde hair went underwater with 8 seconds and had she must enjoyed it..but I didn't.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
What. How is that even a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cheers.

Fathis Munk posted:

What. How is that even a story.

Oh, but there's more.
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/wow-i-cannot-believe-my-mom-stooped-so-low.136316639/