Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Dugong posted:

I haven't leveled a character since the revamp. I just used a 30 level scroll on my Revenant and spent my points on traits. Is it normal to have no underwater utility spells?

It is if you spent all your points on traits and none on utility skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, I understand it takes effort to produce quality content. But the way they're describing it sounds like it's the hardest thing in the development process to make an armor set, which I don't buy. They seem to have this martyr explanation "we WANT to give you armor but it's just SO MUCH WORK but trust us we really do want to" and then it turns to "oh well we'll put it in the gemstore instead".

But then again, do we REALLY want more buttcapes for medium sets and skirts for light armor? Maybe they should hire better designers first and foremost.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

When the living story is such garbage I don't really care about armour skins, they should focus their resources and efforts on improving the LS updates first.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Dugong posted:

I haven't leveled a character since the revamp. I just used a 30 level scroll on my Revenant and spent my points on traits. Is it normal to have no underwater utility spells?

With Revenant you have to set your Legend again when you go underwater for the first time. Only two Legends have underwater skills.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I can't believe the White Mantle used Lazarus' corpse as the catalyst to reanimate Scarlet Briar with the Buttstone Magic.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
New zone owns, please let me use gliding attacks everywhere thanks.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
In world vs world also

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cletus can you keep helping me get the masteries stuff? I'm convinced that advanced and leyline gliding will make me enjoy the new zone because I just don't at all right now.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
A few people need em, get drunk with us and kill dinosaurs

edit: or plant dragons, whatever the things in hot are

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah let's do some after wvw tonight. And the new zone has like red crystal men or something I don't even know nor do I remotely comprehend the whatever Anet made up for lore behind this zone.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah let's do some after wvw tonight. And the new zone has like red crystal men or something I don't even know nor do I remotely comprehend the whatever Anet made up for lore behind this zone.

I don't really care about the story either but it's the most innovative map I've seen in years. Everyone should try it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's bloodstone. that magical stuff from gw1 that gave magic to humans and the like.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jjac posted:

I don't really care about the story either but it's the most innovative map I've seen in years. Everyone should try it.

I really did not have a good time with it yesterday, sorry. I feel that getting advanced and leyline gliding will make it enjoyable though. It's a confusing and frustrating mess to me right now, but I'm not giving up.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Dumb question but I can't seem to find an actual answer. The Heart of Thorns expansion is 50% off and today is the last day. Is the deluxe version worth it and also does this make my account Hear of Thorns tier and allow me full access to everything including old Season 2 stuff etc?? I don't mind dropping $25-38 on this game even just to try it out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

karn1635 posted:

Dumb question but I can't seem to find an actual answer. The Heart of Thorns expansion is 50% off and today is the last day. Is the deluxe version worth it and also does this make my account Hear of Thorns tier and allow me full access to everything including old Season 2 stuff etc?? I don't mind dropping $25-38 on this game even just to try it out.

- Is the deluxe version worth the price? No
- Will you get access to Living world season 2? I want to say no, I think you still have to buy it separately

Should you buy HoT at -50% ? Why not, if you like Core GW2. HoT is a lot better now than it was when it launched. Easier to get around, easier to get exp, better rewards, less points required to max the elite spec... etc.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

karn1635 posted:

Is the deluxe version worth it

With the exception of the character slot, everything in the deluxe is cosmetic.

karn1635 posted:

does this make my account Hear of Thorns tier and allow me full access to everything including old Season 2 stuff etc??

Living Story Season 2 will need to be bought off the gem store; the latest living story stuff is free if you log in when the episodes are released. HoT itself has a story component as part of the xpac.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Visidan posted:

In world vs world also

Just let us fly airships around and paratrooper off them.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Jump pads as buildable siege. Updraft tower/keep upgrades. Reverse updraft traps. Flak-cannon static siege.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
This game looks really pretty. Are most professions fairly balanced and mega-badass towards the end game or are there clearly better professions over others?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Waci posted:

Jump pads as buildable siege. Updraft tower/keep upgrades. Reverse updraft traps. Flak-cannon static siege.

omfg Anet pls

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

karn1635 posted:

This game looks really pretty. Are most professions fairly balanced and mega-badass towards the end game or are there clearly better professions over others?

They're fairly well balanced for general PvE endgame, which is to say nothing much offers a whole lot of challenge once you get in exotics.

Raiding and high-level fractals are another matter, with some clear winners and losers there, but that's the absolute tippy-top of min-maxing in this game. In general, the philosophy of "play how you want" still holds.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Schpyder posted:

They're fairly well balanced for general PvE endgame, which is to say nothing much offers a whole lot of challenge once you get in exotics.

Raiding and high-level fractals are another matter, with some clear winners and losers there, but that's the absolute tippy-top of min-maxing in this game. In general, the philosophy of "play how you want" still holds.

Awesome-o, I'm gonna tard out on this later tonight and give it a spin I think.

I am torn between Thief, Elementalist and Mesmer currently.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Mesmers are fun.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Mesmer is also one of the "advanced" classes, definitely fun to play, but might take longer to understand the class mechanics.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

New map is lots of fun. I hope to see more zones with this "bunch of rocks floating in the air" style to them, makes gliding great.

Advanced Gliding is the best mastery in the game (well best HoT mastery, best one is autoloot) so yeah definitely get that. Zone would be much less fun if you ran out of gliding. Life is less fun when you run out of gliding.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The new zone has a circular ley line that I can ride forever, this is great

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Magres posted:

The new zone has a circular ley line that I can ride forever, this is great

:smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

karn1635 posted:

Awesome-o, I'm gonna tard out on this later tonight and give it a spin I think.

I am torn between Thief, Elementalist and Mesmer currently.

Mesmer is my favorite MMO class ever. At least when I leveled it at launch, it had a really slow start, but once you're at a high level it is an absolute blast. The elite specialization added in the expansion, Chronomancer, is also fantastic and makes Mesmer a fantastic support class in raids and fractals. Everyone likes doing everything faster and more often.

Plus you get to make pink butterflies everywhere and if that's not a selling point I don't know what is

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Elementalist lets you literally rain on people's parades. Mesmer lets you be a parade of purple people all by yourself while farting butterflies everywhere you go. Thief lets you wallow in your filth and drive your mother to a shameful death.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Waci what's guardian :ohdear:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Guardian is the friendly guy you know who's too fat to actually do much but stands up for you when someone tries to start poo poo.

Dragonhunter is when the guy gets fed up with his virginity, gets a back alley liposuction by handing Arus a length of tube, grows his "beard" out and buys a fedora.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Come to the Mastery Point Train tomorrow evening! I can help you get all hopped up on green points and gliding like a maniac. Or, if you're short on XP, you can just spend time in the new zone and you'll get tons of XP. This place absolutely rains XP on you and you can definitely make due without ley line gliding.

If you can't make tomorrow, lemme know a time that works for you and we'll work something out for doing another mastery point train.

E: Reminder for anyone that missed it

:siren: :frogsiren: Thursday at 6pm PST (9pm EST) be online if you want to do a mastery point train. Squadjoin on Nerdremoth, I'll have a squad up and open. Doing all 40 points shouldn't take longer than ~2 hours. :frogsiren: :siren:

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 27, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

karn1635 posted:

I am torn between Thief

You might also look at Revenant, it can do a lot of the same things but is in a better place overall.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
I like the ascetic of the new zone but I hate the playability of it.
I find the lack of unique events kind of annoying. It plays like a Pre-HoT zone, except all of the events are copy pasted.

The end event of the zone is killing the exact same champion 4 times in a row, and of course they are massive HP sponges, followed by killing two of the same champs you just killed, followed by a copy + paste of VG with all of its mechanics severely dumbed down.
The fact that you need to constantly switch characters to get meaningful rewards annoys me as well, I really feel bad for those that don't have a geared 80 of every class.

There are also no meaningful rewards. The only new skin you can get from the new zone is a christmas ornament backpack.

Mairn fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 28, 2016

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Mairn posted:

I like the ascetic of the new zone but I hate the playability of it.
I find the lack of unique events kind of annoying. It plays like a Pre-HoT zone, except all of the events are copy pasted.

The end event of the zone is killing the exact same champion 4 times in a row, and of course they are massive HP sponges, followed by killing two of the same champs you just killed, followed by a copy + paste of VG with all of its mechanics severely dumbed down.
The fact that you need to constantly switch characters to get meaningful rewards annoys me as well, I really feel bad for those that don't have a geared 80 of every class.

There are also no meaningful rewards. The only new skin you can get from the new zone is a christmas ornament backpack.

I've only had the chance to play in the new zone for like 30 minutes but what do you mean about needing multiple characters?

Also re: mastery point train - if one was done on a Sunday I would be eternally grateful. It's basically the only day I have off and I'm in bed by 9 east coast time every night (maybe as late as 10 on Saturdays). I play the game super casually though so I'm not sweating the mastery stuff really, but it would be cool to take care of a lot of them like that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Magres posted:

Come to the Mastery Point Train tomorrow evening! I can help you get all hopped up on green points and gliding like a maniac. Or, if you're short on XP, you can just spend time in the new zone and you'll get tons of XP. This place absolutely rains XP on you and you can definitely make due without ley line gliding.

If you can't make tomorrow, lemme know a time that works for you and we'll work something out for doing another mastery point train.

E: Reminder for anyone that missed it

:siren: :frogsiren: Thursday at 6pm PST (9pm EST) be online if you want to do a mastery point train. Squadjoin on Nerdremoth, I'll have a squad up and open. Doing all 40 points shouldn't take longer than ~2 hours. :frogsiren: :siren:

I really appreciate it! All the hero trains advertised in this thread have sadly all been too early for me. 8pm Pacific or later would *usually* work for me (9pm is better and less rushed), but obviously that's mostly too late for eastern time and cuts down on how many people are around. That's generally my playtime on weeknights :(

e: also yeah my issue isn't points, it's XP. Even using all possible boosts last night over like an hour with Cletus, my bar for advanced gliding barely noticeably moved. Frustrating as gently caress.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 28, 2016

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I'm in desperate need of Points of any kind so I'll do my best to be there.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011

Humerus posted:

I've only had the chance to play in the new zone for like 30 minutes but what do you mean about needing multiple characters?

Numerous things on the map are only once per day per character.
Bloodstone nodes (chance to drop rubies)
Justicar Reward (3 rubies)
Jade Armos Chain (2 rubies)

So to get these rewards in a sane amount of time (Not weeks) you need to be doing the events on multiple characters per day.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really appreciate it! All the hero trains advertised in this thread have sadly all been too early for me. 8pm Pacific or later would work for me, but obviously that's mostly too late for eastern time and cuts down on how many people are around. That's generally my playtime on weeknights :(

How about weekends? I've got raid until 9pm pacific on Saturday and I'm free after that, and staying up until ~2am isn't too bad for east coasters on the weekend. Barring that, let's do Sunday, or we can just do something next week later in the evening so other west coasters (and potentially aussies who don't feel like playing in the morning) can make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I've been playing Warrior and enjoying the axe main/sword off with greatsword as my second weapon set. Questing is either solo or with my wife, we've also started checking out some fractals and might get more involved in that.

How good is Knight's gear for overall usefulness in damage and survivability without giving up too much personal DPS, but also not going too far into glass cannon territory? It seems pretty reasonable over Berserker's. If Knight's isn't a great choice, what would be more in line with how I play?

Nothing is ascended yet, but I do have enough laurels to buy a piece of jewelry. Starting fractals will be a nice journey into difficulty ramp, I imagine. I'd like to minimize how many sets of gear I'll need for as long as possible while I build up resources and crafting skill.

• Locked thread