Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

rgocs posted:

Was this a typo or a misunderstanding somewhere? 0.5ml is nothing, even a 100g baby rat will get 5ml per feeding.

Anyway, FWIW, my wife had a really hard time breastfeeding, we (lol, "we") did a mix of pump and breast. We would alternate feedings between breast and expressed milk. It had the added benefit that I would get to feed our son while she pumped. Milk supply went up once she was more comfortable with the latch and the sores around her nipples healed. Milk supply went up so high that we actually ended up freezing it and giving it to another mom who was having a hard time too.

My bad, yes, typo. Meant 15 mL, .5 oz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

dopaMEAN posted:

Good to know! How did you handle the period where he wouldn't sleep? Was it pretty easy to adapt?

Um, there was a lot of frustration and zombieness by both my husband and me. Sometimes after he didn't need to nurse every time he woke up we'd sleep in shifts...like from 8-1 I was on call and after I fed him around 1 he was on call from 1-6. We each got a solid chunk of sleep then plus whatever broken sleep we managed in our on call chunks.

It wasn't easy because long term sleep deprivation sucks but it was just something that we had to do because apparently you can't put babies back into uteruses so you can get some sleep. ;)

It did seem that he'd have a stretch of terrible nights that went on for so long we both got to the "dear God I cannot do this for one instant more" phase and then as if he knew he'd do a couple nights in a row where he was only up once and that kinda help recharge all our batteries.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Duxwig posted:

That's still crazy low. My preemie was eating more than that at -1 months.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Duxwig posted:

My wife had gotten a ton of bad to worse info from 3 separate certified iblcc or someone lactation consultants. It seems some don't know how to nurse, honestly. I never understood the nipple shield thing. They blame the parents when sometimes it just takes time for a kids to figure the perfect latch, around a few months before being 100 percent reliable. The midwife was way better. For reference, she did find regularly drinking the mother's milk tea did help (not just fenugreek in it, which my wife thought was unappealing). This : Traditional Medicinals Organic Mother's Milk Tea, 16 Tea Bags (Pack of 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009F3POY/ , 2 to 3 times a day. Eventually things just kinda kicked in after perseverance similar to rgocs? The tea took about a week to noticeably kick in and we alternated nettle tea as well as a cardamom version (same brand). I think the stress of wanting things to work had been making it difficult too. hth

vvvvv this is exactly right and a better version of part of what I was trying to help with.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 19, 2016

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Duxwig posted:

Growth is at about 45% on the charts.

Yikes! You have had quite a feeding journey in such a short time. Here's what I will tell you (backed up by my doctor). The percent is meaningless. What you need to be doing is tracking your child's growth on the chart and comparing it to the curve. If your child's growth curve is growing in the same way as the lines on the chart, then your kiddo is doing great! My doctor doesn't even tell me the percents (I look them up on my own), she just points to his curve and the ones on the chart and comments that he's going in the right direction. The thing is, all kids are different. With kids and development, you always have to look at the big picture and compare your child to themselves.

As far as feeding goes, whether you are breastfeeding directly or bottle-feeding, the current wisdom is that it should be done on demand. You want to follow the baby's cues and allow the baby to determine when they are hungry or full. This does two things: one, the baby gets what it needs and two, the baby learns to listen to its own hunger cues which sets them up for healthy eating habits for life. If your baby seems satisfied and is following the curve on the growth chart, then I wouldn't worry about the amount of breastmilk pumped right now. If your baby isn't satisfied or isn't keeping up with the curve, then supplement as needed. Don't get too caught up on numbers. Babies are good at letting you know they need more and every child is different so numbers are really only guides. Someone else pointed out that 20 oz is well within the typical range for your child's age. There is no normal or right with kids, there is only what is typical which is just based on averages. Again, look at the big picture. You'll find this lesson applies for pretty much all child development issues that you'll face in your child's life.

http://kellymom.com/category/bf/got-milk/ This site has helpful info. for breastfeeding including lots of troubleshooting. I will warn you that it is a little heavy handed on the breast is best message, but it proved to be very helpful and reliable info. for us.

Good luck!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Duxwig posted:

Is there any benefit to using someone else's milk such as the antibodies? I know wife believes formula can lead to allergies long term but I haven't looked this up nor know anything about the effects of formula on this.

Yes, there can be benefits in terms of antibodies.

I think your plan is fine, the other person's milk should be fine as long as they are drug and disease free, it's weird your wife isn't producing more but whatever people are different. Formula is fine and it isn't a big deal, esp. if they are also regularly getting access to breast milk to get the good bits from that.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I breastfed exclusively for my first kid for 13 months, I tried to exclusively breastfeed my second but chasing a toddler around while breastfeeding was tough and after a while she wasn't thriving so after 4 months we decided to do a mix and then I gave up in the 5th month. I felt TERRIBLE, like a failure, but my second kid started plumping back up again and she's as rough and tumble as my first. And my third was a foster/adopt, his birth mom was meth-positive so he never nursed from her, so all he's known is formula and he is as healthy as the other two.

I have done all three feeding methods, all three kids are as healthy and happy as each other, I won't know for decades if there are some long-term problems or anything but none of them are obese or have their teeth rotting out and they are all smart engaging kids with no health issues (which is kind of amazing for my adopted son considering his situation).

Don't be scared of formula.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
The problem with all the "breastmilk fed kids are healthier and smarter" studies they've done is they don't/can't control for other factors in the kids life, namely the fact that parents who breastfeed are more likely to be better educated and more financially stable. Many people have theorized that if you were to take away those two factors you'd see negligible difference between breast and formula kids.

The one real confirmed advantage that breastmilk has for sure is you're getting passive immunity in the form of antibodies from mom's immune system. Even that gets iffy after 6 months when the kids immune system has ramped up enough to handle stuff on its own- that's why the AAP recommends breastfeeding for at least 6 months. Not exclusive breastfeeding, just some breastfeeding.

I know how it feels to want to exclusively breastfeed and not be able to- when my oldest was 2 months old I got super sick and had to be hospitalized for 10 days, then taking at-home IV meds via a PICC for two weeks once they let me go. They put me on meds that are contraindicated for breastfeeding. I pumped and dumped as best I could in the hospital, but being on morphine a lot meant my commitment to this was spotty at best and my supply went way down. My stash of frozen milk only lasted about 3 days, then baby went onto formula. Although I was able to eventually re-establish breastfeeding, my supply was never the same and we had to supplement from then on. At first I was crushed, but my daughter kept growing and thriving and now she's a perfectly normal, pain in the rear end 13 year old who's fantastically healthy, in an honors program, runs track, and spends way too much time on Skype with her friends. Her time on formula made no difference, at all- all it did was make me worry unneeded because I'd bought into the hype that if you don't breastfeed you're A Bad Mom.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I was gung-ho on exclusively breastfeeding when I was pregnant. After the birth I found out it was physically impossible for that to happen and had to switch to formula after struggling for a couple months. I felt enormously guilty and I got incredibly stressed and depressed. In the end, my kid is healthy and happy now as a toddler so that's what matters.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Thanks a lot for the answers on my question about not being able to soothe my baby back to sleep anymore. I changed the way I did things and he seems to accept it again. Turns out he does not want me to pick him up like I used to!

Also new question. We've been putting the baby to sleep while rocking him for his naps. A few months ago we started putting him in his crib once he was asleep and now we need to make him learn to fall asleep in his crib for his naps because he's going to day care in about 1 - 1.5 month.

Right now the plan is to either

A) Stop rocking him to sleep, but still make him fall asleep on us in a chair. In a few days start trying to make him sleep in our arms standing up by the side of his crib and then a few days of success after try to put him in the crib before he is actually asleep and then after that try putting him in the crib while he is still wide awake while touching him and then just being in the room and then just him sleeping alone.

B) put him in the crib when he shows signs of sleepiness, then stay there with him/sing like we usually do and give him his pacifier to help soothe him. If he's still crying after 20 minutes we pick him up and go do other things and may be try again later but not get him to nap in other ways (walking him in the stroller, rocking him, etc.).

What do you guys think of those plan?

Probably relevant info :
He is almost 10 months old
He falls asleep at the breast at night
We usually have no problem dropping him in his crib for the naps after he's fallen asleep.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 20, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
This is how I did mine:

Read him a story.
Put him in the crib, tell him it's time to sleep.
A lot at first, he wanted me to pick him back up, and if he did - I did! The point of the first stage was to make him feel comfortable in the crib, and that meant not trapped.
But I'd only hold him for a couple minutes - if he didn't fall asleep quickly, he got put back down. (And if he falls asleep that fast I honestly don't mind if he does it in my arms, hah)
If he struggles at all or does anything except try to fall asleep while held, he gets put right back in the crib.
Even while in the crib, I still remained nearby comforting him.
After doing this for a couple weeks, I changed it up a bit more - instead of just picking him up, if he was upset I would comfort him in the crib for a while first.

It worked pretty well for me. When he's tired he eventually gets tired of being picked up and put down, but knowing I will pick him up seemed to keep him much calmer. Eventually he was mostly fine with just being comforted at the side of the crib without being picked up, and nowadays he just goes right to sleep more often than not. (If he's a bad day, I do still pick him up and let him fall asleep on my shoulder, but those days are pretty obvious and getting rarer)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Well what we're doing isn,t working, but I guess it's normal at first.. But he's just not falling asleep unless it's on us. He'll start crying/fighting and after 30 minutes should we stop, skip the nap, and do something else? Are we supposed to fight with him for 1+ hour until he falls asleep? That seems excessive, but is he going to keep fighting for the 20-30 minutes we work on the nap thing so he can sleep later in other ways (like if we go outside with the stroller, go for a car ride, etc.)?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Welp, looks like mine has figured out "tantrums" and has decided to practice his new skill every ten minutes the last two days.

He wants what he wants, and he wants it now, and if he doesn't get it then it is straight to the floor and crying.

And what he wants is to throw his food or push things over or close things he shouldn't or open things he shouldn't or to go outside even though it's bedtime.

The food throwing esp. is new and concerning - he's dropped things off the tray before, but we'd mostly managed to sort that out (when he says "all done" he's allowed to help clean his plate and drop his extra food in the trash, which satisfied that desire). But now he is literally flinging it, and if we take him down he gets mad and tries to climb back up or throws a tantrum.

He also started waking up at night last night which he hasn't done for quite a while, and is just generally super tempermental. He's not always bad or upset, but even when he's happy it's like he's not very far from being miserable...

It's so weird, we've only ever seen him anything like this before when he was super sick, but he seems to be fine.

I hope this isn't the new norm.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I had no luck with pu/PD until we separated nursing from sleeping and started doing pu/PD for every nap and sleep at once. Had to pick up and comfort until he was ready to sleep again and not just when he stopped crying (because when I put him down the moment he stopped, he was still ready to cry). It did take nearly 2.5 hours the first night but most of that was not crying.

Edit: to be clear, don't start pu/PD until your baby falls asleep without being on breast OK. Taking away 2 comforts at once is hard.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 21, 2016

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

KingColliwog posted:

Are we supposed to fight with him for 1+ hour until he falls asleep? That seems excessive....

No advice on the sleep thing, but I'm pretty sure this parenting thing is like 80% fighting with a tiny human for hours over tiny things. Usually things that they also want to do, but for whatever reason, won't.

YOU WANT TO SLEEP, JUST SLEEP DAMNIT. YOU'RE UPSET BECAUSE YOU'RE TIRED, BUT WON'T GO TO SLEEP? WHY DAMNIT?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What is pu/PD?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Sorry, pick up/put down. Basically you console a crying baby until he stops crying, then put him down until he cries again. We didn't have the nerves to let ours cry indefinitely, at least not after we tried and he made a whole hour of nonstop crying with me trying to shush, sing, pat to soothe without picking up.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

kaschei posted:

I had no luck with pu/PD until we separated nursing from sleeping and started doing pu/PD for every nap and sleep at once. Had to pick up and comfort until he was ready to sleep again and not just when he stopped crying (because when I put him down the moment he stopped, he was still ready to cry). It did take nearly 2.5 hours the first night but most of that was not crying.

Edit: to be clear, don't start pu/PD until your baby falls asleep without being on breast OK. Taking away 2 comforts at once is hard.

He's only being nursed to sleep at night. For the naps we just rock him while singing and he's usually out in 5 minutes or less. Then we transfer him to his crib and usually all is fine. Should we still stop nursing him to sleep at night? We really don't mind that part.

After that first 2.5h, did things improve fast or did you need to do that for a whole week or more? We'll probably try a slower approach for now (stop rocking him, always do it in his room, etc.) but I guess there might be no escaping the "this week is going to be terrible but it's going to be worth it" phase.

FunOne posted:

No advice on the sleep thing, but I'm pretty sure this parenting thing is like 80% fighting with a tiny human for hours over tiny things. Usually things that they also want to do, but for whatever reason, won't.

YOU WANT TO SLEEP, JUST SLEEP DAMNIT. YOU'RE UPSET BECAUSE YOU'RE TIRED, BUT WON'T GO TO SLEEP? WHY DAMNIT?

I guess that's probably true, but for some reason I like to believe there is a way to get my kid to nap alone without having to physically restrain him for a full hour (or less or more who knows! never went past the 30 minutes barrier) of intense crying and pushing/trying to get out of my arms. Especially since right now the napping routine is : sit with the nursing pillow, put baby on me, rock him while singing for less than 5 minute, put him in his crib. If it wasn't for the daycare, I would be ok with doing that until he's ready to sleep alone by himself without us having to impose it on him. Up to now we managed to get him to do most things we want without much crying/fighting, we hoped we could keep that going for a little while more.

Also, I feel like being with him while he's crying for an hour or more isn't all that different from regular "cry it out" methods which we don't feel comfortable with. But at some point you have to accept that kids cry and even "no cry" methods will involve some crying

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 21, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I didn't keep an exact diary but by switching completely it got better quickly. Something like, 2.5 hours to put to bed at night; then a little over an hour for his nap the next day, and a little under 2 for that night; then 40 minutes for a nap, and 40 minutes for night for a few nights. It's been just under two weeks since we started but he's already falling asleep after we leave the room, with 10 minutes of soothing (at the end of a 30 minute bath-bedtime routine).

Probably the early gains were mostly me learning what worked, and the fall from ~40 minutes to ~10 minutes has been all from him learning how to go from almost asleep to asleep.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Why are you physically restraining the baby? If they're old enough to flip over they're old enough to sleep in whatever position they like IIRC.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

kaschei posted:

I didn't keep an exact diary but by switching completely it got better quickly. Something like, 2.5 hours to put to bed at night; then a little over an hour for his nap the next day, and a little under 2 for that night; then 40 minutes for a nap, and 40 minutes for night for a few nights. It's been just under two weeks since we started but he's already falling asleep after we leave the room, with 10 minutes of soothing (at the end of a 30 minute bath-bedtime routine).

Probably the early gains were mostly me learning what worked, and the fall from ~40 minutes to ~10 minutes has been all from him learning how to go from almost asleep to asleep.

That's quite good. We'll probably try to get him used to sleep in his room first and remove the rocking, etc for the next few weeks and keep the last 2-3 weeks before he has to go to daycare for the put down/pick up technique so he doesn't have to get used to a ton of different things at the same time. We're already working on having him fall asleep while he's still awake at night VS falling asleep while sucking so we'll keep doing that also.

kaschei posted:

Why are you physically restraining the baby? If they're old enough to flip over they're old enough to sleep in whatever position they like IIRC.

When he's in my arms after I pick him up. He's basically fighting to get out of my arms and we are both unable to calm him down unless we get out of the room or have him do something fun like stand up or anything else he likes to do. When he's in the bed he's free to do whatever he wants. By physically restrain I mean basically fighting so he does not jump off from me, it's not like I'm pinning him down or something.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
One side note. Daycare will be a completely different thing. I've often heard that even children who REFUSE to nap at home will be little angels and go get their blanket and tuck themselves in for a nap at daycare. You probably don't have to stress to much about your baby napping at daycare.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Hdip posted:

One side note. Daycare will be a completely different thing. I've often heard that even children who REFUSE to nap at home will be little angels and go get their blanket and tuck themselves in for a nap at daycare. You probably don't have to stress to much about your baby napping at daycare.

Yeah, this. My daughter (14 months) refuses to nap or sleep without me if I'm taking care of her. And there has to be nursing. With my husband, she wants him to be around but obviously he's not nursing and she doesn't care, just goes right to sleep. With her babysitter that she's been seeing for almost a year, she picks up her sleeping mat, quietly takes it to the corner of the room and falls asleep herself. I've seen it on Skype...it's like watching someone else's kid.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

KingColliwog posted:

When he's in my arms after I pick him up. He's basically fighting to get out of my arms and we are both unable to calm him down unless we get out of the room or have him do something fun like stand up or anything else he likes to do. When he's in the bed he's free to do whatever he wants. By physically restrain I mean basically fighting so he does not jump off from me, it's not like I'm pinning him down or something.

My rules is that if he struggles, he gets put down (in his crib), immediately.

I've found it's usually pretty effective.

Sometimes, though... you've just gotta leave them alone and let them cry for a bit, maybe come back in ten minutes, maybe they'll already be asleep. Sometimes your presence is the aggravating factor and there's nothing you can do to help that isn't grossly counterproductive and you just have to accept it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

GlyphGryph posted:

My rules is that if he struggles, he gets put down (in his crib), immediately.

I've found it's usually pretty effective.

Sometimes, though... you've just gotta leave them alone and let them cry for a bit, maybe come back in ten minutes, maybe they'll already be asleep. Sometimes your presence is the aggravating factor and there's nothing you can do to help that isn't grossly counterproductive and you just have to accept it.

Thanks for all your insights everyone. We'll be discussing this and consider all options.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
KC, if the kid nurses to sleep at night and she's ok with it there is literally no reason not to keep it up to encourage a good night sleeping cycle, and it will come in handy with teething to come. Meanwhile, the only right answer is going to be whatever you want to do, as you are the parent and will adjust again to whatever choice you make. Just be prepared for the transition of any change from the little guys perspective too. He may require different things, as you're noticing.

Funny question : why is it that some kids absolutely hate getting their face washed? My daughter is obviously teething but when my wife tries to clean my daughter's face after meals she looks at my wife and angrily signs gentle (usually multiple times) as my wife wipes off her face using only water and her hands for maximum gentleness most of the time, and yet still.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 23, 2016

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Funny question : why is it that some kids absolutely hate getting their face washed? My daughter is obviously teething but when my wife tries to clean my daughter's face after meals she looks at my wife and angrily signs gentle (usually multiple times) as my wife wipes off her face using only water and her hands for maximum gentleness most of the time, and yet still.

Probably for the same reason most adults don't like having their faces touched all that much. As I understand it, the face (especially the lips) is one of the most sensitive parts of the body, by nerve endings per square inch or something like that; it probably overstimulates. However, I am not a doctor, so take my thought with a grain of salt. :shrug:

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

On the topic of sleep, I'm guessing people have probably read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child?
Thoughts on it?

Trying to get little man in a better routine for naps and lessen his crankiness.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My six year old girl is obsessed with YouTube. She likes to watch this channel (I can't remember which one, there are several) where some crazy 30 something lady (whom you never/seldom see) acts out these long scenarios with dolls. Mommy doll, daddy doll, baby doll, brother doll...whatever. This lady has this squeaky high pitched voice (that is worse than nails on a chalkboard), and the scenarios are never over any kind of limits, I just find the whole idea of it loving weird. The thing is, I know several kids into this kind of video.

I'm sure my parents found whatever I liked at 6 distasteful in its own right. But I don't like this show at all, and I'd like to get rid of it. Curious to know what the goonparent hivemind is on this sort of thing - do you let your kids watch it?

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
Oh god, my 4 year old is obsessed with those too. My husband and I always look at ourselves and wonder who in their right minds thought up this idea? And why are there SO many views in those videos? I try to not let her spend much time on youtube, but honestly there's nothing really wrong with the program and she really likes it. So I'm okay with it. Young me would have been really annoyed that I'm letting her watch "bad tv". I also told myself I'd never let them watch the Teletubbies, but meh. I've become a lot more relaxed after being a parent.

On a different topic, we will be going on the airplane in 12 hrs. I'm scared. Thanks to everyone who recommended the kids app, I hope they work!

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
We went the other way. When our kid had her first ear infection she was really sick and too tired/feverish to do much of anything, but still well enough to get bored. We watched a lot of youtube to get through the days and she fell for this insanely creepy CGI teddybear that she kept asking for after she got better. We decided that loving bear was not going to be part of our family and we would 1) try to limit "video on demand" to sick days (since she can't really handle watching in moderation yet and ends up wanting to do nothing else) and 2) give her a limited selection of dvds or downloaded videos rather than free reign on youtube or netflix. There's plenty of good kids' media, and if she came up to us and asked to watch "Saw" or whatever it's not like we'd be uncomfortable saying no, so why not.

So far it works OK, we found stuff that's a lot more tolerable that she likes too. She's just 17 months though, I realize it might be a lot harder with an older kid...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

photomikey posted:

My six year old girl is obsessed with YouTube. She likes to watch this channel (I can't remember which one, there are several) where some crazy 30 something lady (whom you never/seldom see) acts out these long scenarios with dolls. Mommy doll, daddy doll, baby doll, brother doll...whatever. This lady has this squeaky high pitched voice (that is worse than nails on a chalkboard), and the scenarios are never over any kind of limits, I just find the whole idea of it loving weird. The thing is, I know several kids into this kind of video.

I'm sure my parents found whatever I liked at 6 distasteful in its own right. But I don't like this show at all, and I'd like to get rid of it. Curious to know what the goonparent hivemind is on this sort of thing - do you let your kids watch it?

If it makes you feel any better, that woman likely gets millions of dollars for those videos!

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Public Serpent posted:

We went the other way. When our kid had her first ear infection she was really sick and too tired/feverish to do much of anything, but still well enough to get bored. We watched a lot of youtube to get through the days and she fell for this insanely creepy CGI teddybear that she kept asking for after she got better.

Oh you don't mean THIS do you? My 2 year old loves this crap.

And what's with all the random "my first animation project" videos set to nursery rhymes? I've seen 4 randomly-colored Spider-Men race in Land Rovers over giant ramps made of shipping containers set to "Daddy Finger". I feel like I'm in a lucid fever dream sometimes.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
WELCOME TO RYAN'S TOY REVIEW!

HI RYAN!
HI MOMMY!

I hear this in my sleep. Also the HobbyKids mom. What is it with kids watching other kids open and play with toys? Also the surprise egg videos.

Oh God I forgot Finger Family vids

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
My 4yo son was addicted to those computer animation nursery rhymes. "I want the wheels on the bus! Today I want the one with the big bus, not the school bus!". We eventually stopped using YouTube as the "suggestions" would lead to even weirder things.

We've changed to neflix kids and limit what he can watch. So far he's OK about us limiting what he watches, he tried to negotiate his way into watching that new Batman cartoon, but was fine with a "No, that's for older kids". He's now into Dragons, Lego Adventures and Super 4 (playmobil). Could be worse.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord

Sneeing Emu posted:

Oh you don't mean THIS do you? My 2 year old loves this crap.

And what's with all the random "my first animation project" videos set to nursery rhymes? I've seen 4 randomly-colored Spider-Men race in Land Rovers over giant ramps made of shipping containers set to "Daddy Finger". I feel like I'm in a lucid fever dream sometimes.

AAAAAAUUUUUUGGGGHHHHH that thing pisses me off so muuuch (yep that's him alright)

I think those are just to generate ad money. You throw together random crap kids like, keyword spam a bit to get search hits, upload your L@@K SO FUNNY Spiderman Elsa Prank Video and rake in those sweet ad pennies every saturday morning when parents try to buy themselves an extra fifteen minutes of sleep by giving their kid the tablet.

The comment sections are pretty cute, it's always hundreds of comments with just strings of random characters or autocompleted words, kind of like what you'd get by mashing a baby fist on the keyboard :3:

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
So, my just turned three year old is a runner. She LOVES being chased, and will bolt in any direction given the tiniest opportunity. Based on the gleeful cackling when she turns to look at us, and the giant poo poo-eating grin when she realises she's managed to sneak in somewhere we can't physically reach her (she ran up a glass ramp once in the National Opera, and sat down just out of reach, and completely ignored our increasingly desperate appeals to her better nature and threats of no more candy EVER. That was a fun trip out!), I'm guessing that it isn't the sweet, sweet freedom that drives her, it's wanting us to chase her. We try to not give her the satisfaction as often as we can, but there are so many times when that isn't an option - primarily for safety, but also if we've actually got stuff to do and can't spend tons of time waiting her out. When we do ignore her and don't run, she'll tip-toe back, and then bolt as soon as we give her any attention.
When we do have to chase her, we try to make it as unfun for her as possible, by grabbing her firmly and carrying her back, with no smiles and no talking, which she hates, but nothing seems to work. She's really ramped up the running over the last couple of months, and it's getting to be a regular and incredibly frustrating part of our day.

Has anyone tried any tactics that worked? Or do I just have to live with it until she's becomes a lazy teenager?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hold her hand or be strapped in a stroller when you are out? Kid leash?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I used a set of reins with the kids that were most likely to run off under a car, my youngest is actually pretty good in that respect (to make up for her unbridled evil in other ways no doubt) but I remember the heart stopping gasping fear with the older ones when they were young and made a dash for it. My youngest boy in particular could sense the exact moment that my grip on his hand was slightly less than vice like and wiggle out. The little buggers are fast too.

Or you could have a couple of weeks where you go somewhere safe for her to run off then as soon as she runs off march her home so hopefully she gets the message of 'run off and you'll have to go home' but in situations where going home isn't a massive waste of time and money. I've never actually done that though but it seems like it might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Thankfully it's not as much when we're walking around outside, weirdly she's actually more keen on being carried than on walking herself, which can get tiresome but at least isn't dangerous in any way. It's more in every situation where I want her to do something she doesn't want to do. Like if we're getting ready to leave one place to go to another, she'll bolt. When I tell her it's bedtime, she'll bolt. If we want her to use the toilet before we leave a restaurant, she'll bolt. So strapping her in a stroller or putting her on a leash doesn't really work.
We're trying to make running away as dull and crappy as possible for her, but so far it doesn't seem to deter her in the slightest. Hopefully sticking to it will work...