Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

McLaren and Nando will be the 2017 champions, you can toxx me now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

Powershift posted:

Now if only they could get an engine that could last a race, they could start finishing 5th.

one of the points they make in the article is that they have to compromise downforce in order to reduce drag and make up for the limits of the honda engine. the chassis itself is on par with ferrari despite them intentionally designing it to be technically worse than it could be. which is hilarious. so if they had a faster engine they would be gaining much more speed than just that added HP.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wicka posted:

one of the points they make in the article is that they have to compromise downforce in order to reduce drag and make up for the limits of the honda engine. the chassis itself is on par with ferrari despite them intentionally designing it to be technically worse than it could be. which is hilarious. so if they had a faster engine they would be gaining much more speed than just that added HP.

The irony here being honda's lack of investment in their road car engines being felt in F1, polar opposite of what happened to ford.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

wicka posted:

They're arguably in the best shape going into 2017 because every team is going to have to strike some compromise due to the fuel flow limits and bigger cars. Its not going to be a case of stapling on as much down force as you can find anymore.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

They're arguably in the best shape going into 2017 because every team is going to have to strike some compromise due to the fuel flow limits and bigger cars. Its not going to be a case of stapling on as much down force as you can find anymore.

I don't see how wider tires that can last a whole race will benefit lovely engines.

Mercedes will run the board in 2017 bankrupting manor, sauber and hass forcing sweeping changes in 2018 making room for at least 4 chinese teams. You can quote me on this

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Powershift posted:

I don't see how wider tires that can last a whole race will benefit lovely engines.

Honda can fix their engine in 2017 and the fuel flow regs are going to actually come into significance now that the cars are big enough to cause a significant amount of drag. McLaren are the only team who have had to play that balancing act this year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Honda can fix their engine in 2017 and the fuel flow regs are going to actually come into significance now that the cars are big enough to cause a significant amount of drag. McLaren are the only team who have had to play that balancing act this year.

If Honda could fix their engines in 2017, they would in 2016.

its Toyota redux.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
They can't because of the token system. They know exactly what the issue is, the turbo is too small and stuck in the vee of the engine. That's gone for 2017, thus its reasonable to expect a step forward from them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

if piitting the race leader or setting record sector times under yellow are 10 second penalties, running a 3 liter v12 should only be 15 seconds

wicka
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

Powershift posted:

wow its almost like there are 30 other changes you're completely unaware of

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Powershift posted:

Mercedes will run the board in 2017 bankrupting manor, sauber and hass forcing sweeping changes in 2018 making room for at least 4 chinese teams. You can quote me on this

They're axing the token system for next year so Honda is going to clean sheet their engine to fix the big problems they know about but can't fix (tiny block, tiny turbo, tiny ERS), and then finally use their brand new billion dollar engine facility to build an actual working dyno, and start 24/7 R&D.

McLaren 2017 WCC
Nando 2017 WDC
Button 2017 MWDC (for Williams)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

yeah and he has three kids and i'm p sure they lived in the UK with his wife and splitting his time between there and maranello really was not working. they once considered the idea of opening a UK design office but i believe it was shot down by marchionne.

Lol jesus. One of Enzo's last acts was to let John Barnard work in a design office in the UK and the result was the Ferrari 640.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Lol jesus. One of Enzo's last acts was to let John Barnard work in a design office in the UK and the result was the Ferrari 640.

The parallels between that era and the current Ferrari are pretty remarkable. I'm half expecting Vettel to drive a flaming Ferrari into the pitbox before this season is over.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

1500quidporsche posted:

The parallels between that era and the current Ferrari are pretty remarkable. I'm half expecting Vettel to drive a flaming Ferrari into the pitbox before this season is over.

Kimi had fire out his airbox already!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Kimi had fire out his airbox already!

That was more him being too hungover to notice rather than a poignant criticism of the team's performance.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

aequalis posted:

There are a lot more cleverer/funnier/funningest posters in the Worst Thread than me, so how bout a good ol' fashioned Caption Contest?

The irony of this image is still cracking me up.

:science: "Vell, mein Furer I have great news. In zee futcha, a decedent of zis very car vill bring Mercedes multiple Vorld Champships! But...um..."
:hitler: "But vhat!? Vhat iz zee problem!?"
:eng99: "I..I'm afraid to say, mein Furer"

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Calling it now, James Allison to Renault.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Ahahahah now FCA is under investigation for overstating sales all the way back to 2013.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ferrari should beg Aldo Costa to come back.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

About FCA's sales reporting practice posted:

...there appears to be no objective methodology for establishing and maintaining such a reserve and thus several plausible values exist for such a reserve. To the extent that the methodology historically used does not yield a unique value, the outcome is inherently arbitrary.

hahahahahaha it's like they don't actually know how many cars they've sold, so they just go "uuhhhhh, it was THIS MANY"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If Marchione does get in any trouble for this, which will probably be a black mark on his name at the most. it won't be for loving up the figures. It will be for being sat in the third rear wing designer's office listening in on a report about carbon fibre weight while this story was dropping.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
He was an accountant and is the CEO signing off on this poo poo. I can assure you if they were messing with the figures and it appears even remotely intentional somebody will loving nail him to the wall for this.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

MustardFacial posted:

About FCA's sales reporting practice posted:

...there appears to be no objective methodology for establishing and maintaining such a reserve and thus several plausible values exist for such a reserve. To the extent that the methodology historically used does not yield a unique value, the outcome is inherently arbitrary.
hahahahahaha it's like they don't actually know how many cars they've sold, so they just go "uuhhhhh, it was THIS MANY"

That literally reads as though Ron wrote it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

1500quidporsche posted:

He was an accountant and is the CEO signing off on this poo poo. I can assure you if they were messing with the figures and it appears even remotely intentional somebody will loving nail him to the wall for this.

At this point I honestly think he has been given copies of the photographs Kimi has. The oddest part of this for me and the part I can't get my head around, is that he does not even have the racing part of Montezemolo's job. Arrivabene is supposed to have that, and yet it seems that at no point has Arrivabene been allowed to do that job and is instead called "team principal". He could legitimately appoint Brawn to the role and still be in charge of the Ferrari's racing division. Let the nice man who has been in the sport since 1981 and on the FIA world council since the 1990s have a go already and gently caress off back to selling cars will you you fuzzy jumpered chunt.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Totally agree with you. There is no way he didn't know that wasn't going on, just like with the VW Diesel Scandal, all the higher ups know. How else does one think they got away with this poo poo for years?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Any news on the kidnapping? Is Bernie bringing the offer down to a 100 bucks?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
That lady is really loving stupid to live in Sao Paolo without having 5 bodyguards on her at all times.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Monza on the calander for the next 4 years! I kinda wish they would alternate with Imola.

But whatever. At least we still have an Italian GP.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Totally agree with you. There is no way he didn't know that wasn't going on, just like with the VW Diesel Scandal, all the higher ups know. How else does one think they got away with this poo poo for years?

Its not only that but the one thing that was drilled into my head in university is that there's zero sympathy or tolerance if you start loving around with financial statements since Enron. You can do all the lovely deals you want and screw the consumer two weeks over but the second you overstate earnings, undervalue liabilities or play game with asset depreciation you're going to be hosed to the full extent of the law possible.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Is Monza giving any concessions to Bernie other than more money?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

When I first heard the kidnapping story on the radio, I missed the "-in-law" part and was concerned for the folks foolish enough to abduct the baba yaga.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Run imola as the european or back to being the san marino gp or for comedy value Luxembourg

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

The Croc posted:

Run imola as the european or back to being the san marino gp or for comedy value Luxembourg

But the glorious European state of Azerbaijan which is in Europe is already hosting the European grand prix.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Farmland Park posted:

But the glorious European state of Azerbaijan which is in Europe is already hosting the European grand prix.

Then it need to run imola as the European actually in europe grand prix

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
West Europe GP in Imola and East Europe GP in Baku, easy fix.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Or just call it the San Marino GP like they used to.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is Italy really Europe? I mean Greece pretty much isn't. England obviously isn't. Maybe it could just be the Mediterranean GP.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is Italy really Europe? I mean Greece pretty much isn't. England obviously isn't. Maybe it could just be the Mediterranean GP.

Sounds p cool IMO

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

MustardFacial posted:

This sounds extremely Italian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Well, we did have Pacific GP, so why not Mediterranean or Adriatic?

• Locked thread