Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Aliquid posted:

I graduate with an MBA in five months, and I have no idea what to do with it. I have a spotty resume (extensive traveling, under-the-table work in other countries) with a few bright spots (army, principal of an elementary school). My interests are pretty diverse, and could see myself in anything from PR to supply chain/operations to finance to front-office banking to political lobbying, and I don't know where to start. I'm at a no-name school with no job placement program, but I'm in Austin and networking like gently caress, so I'm hopeful. One professor is a former executive VP at Dell and he and I hit it off. He had me go through his impressive LinkedIn contacts and pick out a few dozen names, where I'll write a blurb about myself and he'll blast it off with his own recommendation.

How should I approach this? What should I write? The people on his LinkedIn are all very high-level people, and I'm kind of intimidated. I realize this is a fantastic opportunity and a way of salvaging a potential garbage degree, and I can't gently caress this up.

Also, what is a lobbyist's actual job title? How do I sell my soul to get in? My favorite pastime is policy/politics, so I feel I'd be most at-home there, but that world seems so opaque.

Lobbyist/political consultant/pollster work sounds up your alley, though actual lobbyists often have law degrees rather than MBAs. For the blurb, this is the rough structure I'd go with:
I've been working with [professor] while studying at [school] and he recommended I reach out to you. My background is in [insert previous jobs and international work]. I'm interested in doing [whatever you're interested in that they might be able to help with]. Would you have time to for [coffee/a phone call depending on if they're local] so I can pick your brain.

You don't want to ask for a job off the bat, just for some of their time. Then let them talk about their job and background (people love that) and if you hit it off a bit, ask if he has any recommendations of places/jobs you should be looking at. If it's a company you're really interested in, then go ahead and ask him to refer you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Any suggestions to keep relevant skills while I am stuck in retail? I am working on some of those MOOC type things (stats, biology, etc to keep my brain sharp), and I have a linked in set up with a few groups joined. I just don't want to end up a lifer in retail because I spent too long outside of aquatic and marine biology.

I'd like to either work in the ornamental livestock industry or in research. Just - no more retail or call centers, please.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xandu posted:

Lobbyist/political consultant/pollster work sounds up your alley, though actual lobbyists often have law degrees rather than MBAs. For the blurb, this is the rough structure I'd go with:
I've been working with [professor] while studying at [school] and he recommended I reach out to you. My background is in [insert previous jobs and international work]. I'm interested in doing [whatever you're interested in that they might be able to help with]. Would you have time to for [coffee/a phone call depending on if they're local] so I can pick your brain.

You don't want to ask for a job off the bat, just for some of their time. Then let them talk about their job and background (people love that) and if you hit it off a bit, ask if he has any recommendations of places/jobs you should be looking at. If it's a company you're really interested in, then go ahead and ask him to refer you.

Thanks man, that's helpful.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I need some suggestions about where to take my career next. I'm in Canada with a master's of education (counselling psych), and almost a fully licensed psychologist. I have about 6 months to go of full time work to get my registration. The thing is, I've had such a poor income for the last three years, counting school, that every month I'm surprised I'm not living in a cardboard box. After registration, I'll qualify for good jobs, presumably, but nothing is especially clear and there are no promises. That, and I only love some of my occupation - there's a good chunk I don't like about it. I'm thinking about finding a full time day job and chipping away at my remaining residency hours on evenings/weekends.

I love computers and wish for a more technical job. I have no work experience in a technical field. I'm willing to go back to school but would strongly prefer to avoid it. I often fantasize about being a medical doctor, an IT expert, software developer, or some kind of academic position. Those are all costly and/or risky, though. Technical writing is a common suggestion, but I can't see how to bridge myself over to that. HR is another suggestion for my background, but I've been looking for any sort of entry level job into HR and found nothing for the last 6 months. I wonder if my job searching skills are poor - and then think maybe that's a sign HR isn't for me.

I guess I'm looking for unconventional, unusual suggestions that are secure or high paying. Thanks.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

kaishek posted:

I've reached a bit of an impasse myself. I started out with a BA in Poli Sci, focusing on the Middle East, and kept going through an MA in Middle East studies. I've done plenty of traveling in the region, and have worked as an academic editor and an analyst focusing on security/political risk in the region. I haven't worked in the intelligence community. I recently moved to the Gulf to pursue an opportunity, but unfortunately my company lost their contract mere months after I arrived.

I've decided to move to Houston, because that's close to family, instead of moving back to DC, and try to make it work. I know that the oil industry is in recession right now, and so no one is really hiring people like myself. I could work at investment firms or other places that need Middle East political analysis...but I'm having trouble finding those in Houston (duh). I've also thought about changing fields entirely. It's a bit depressing, honestly, and if you don't work for the government there doesn't appear to be a lot of career stability.

I'm kind of a space nerd, and have often thought about trying to work for SpaceX or some other company doing PR - basically "science communication", or trying to get my license to teach HS physics. But I'm hesitant to completely start over.

Are there any fields that a political/security researcher analyst could transition to without going back to school? I'm feeling some path dependency (go to the intel community!) so outside views are helpful.

I posted this a while back and got some good thoughts about looking at NASA/aerospace contractors and looking at stuff like HR/Payroll. I've now moved to Houston and unfortunately the market is still like I thought it'd be.

This makes me think that perhaps I'd need to go back and get some additional education/certifications to change careers. Cybersecurity is something that interests me greatly, and whenever I search Houston jobs for "analyst" or "intelligence" it comes back with "did you mean cyberanalyst; cyberintelligence"? So there's definitely a job market here for those jobs. I just don't know if it's even possible to get there from here. I'm highly computer literate, and learned C++ and played around with other simple languages when I was in high school and college, but that's a decade past or more.

Does anyone have any idea if it's possible to get the requisite knowledge/skills to enter that career path from where I am? What types of educational/learning tracks are there? Has anyone else done this?

ITM
Oct 23, 2010
I'm sure I'm going to sound like an idiot saying this, but I have absolutely no idea how you are supposed to "move up" in the workplace. I have an entry level job at a large corporation. My job is unique to the corporation, so the only "transferable" skills I have are things like "customer service". I'm good at the job, it involves interpreting a piece of legislation and applying it to different scenarios. I was trained in a more experienced team and was transferred to a newer team at my request. I have acted up the "technical adviser"/"quality assurance" role for a couple of months and I've consulted on cases where someone is taking us to court because they don't agree with our interpretation of the legislation. I'm the go to person for any tough stuff. I applied for a different role in my team recent and was told "If we were hiring for [technical adviser/quality assurance] role, you'd be my first choice (but we're not, so you didn't get it)." They will -never- hire for that role though, because the people in it have been in it for the last 20 years. I'm just not sure how I am supposed to gain skills to move up. It seems like the only choice is people management, and I am definitely in the running for that line of work, however it's a lot of work and it doesn't come naturally to me. It's not my first choice, and I'm not sure if treating it as a "back up" is ideal or if I should have it as my main focus since it would be likely to achieve movement in that area faster. I have my eye on the quality assurance/continuous improvement role in another part of the organisation, but I don't know how to go about gaining the skills that would make me a suitable candidate for that. I have been through the job ad when they were hiring for another area and it involves being familiar with continuous improvement methodologies (Lean, Kaizen etc). I have a couple of weeks before the new performance year starts so I'd like to create a strong development plan that will actually go somewhere. Is it appropriate to see if my manager can get me involved with one of the people currently in the role, or better if I take the initiative and approach them myself? Is it appropriate to suggest that I study one of the methodologies outside of work and look for an area to apply it within my current role?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
What can you do? What is your educational background? What do you want to do?

Short/joking answer: Master Excel.

Longer answer: Talk with your manager about what direction you want to take. Depending on their personality, they can be not just a boss, but also a mentor. My boss knows I don't intend to be in her department forever, and gives me straight up advice to improve myself. (I'm just a lazy rear end who needs to finish the CPA..) Outside of that, depending on your level of education, maybe look into a degree in a field that interests you? Want to improve processes/do QA? Consider an MBA in Operations Management. A word of caution, though: as you'll hear over and over, don't just go to school to get a better job- actually consider if it's worth the cost and time.
And master excel.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
I have a pickle: Should I stay or should I go? I've been at my job 3+ years, business started to dry up over the past 6 months and they are making some changes. I can stay here in the LA branch and go from full-time to part time, or I can move to Chicago, stay with the company and get a promotion and a substantial raise. I'm very open to change and to move but I'm not sure I want to stay with my company and I'm leaning towards staying on part time and trying to find a new better job. I'm hourly currently making $34k(ish) a year, the move to Chicago would bump me up to probably $45k a year still no real benefits( health). This was my first real fulltime job after college so I'm thinking about trying to find a new/better job here in LA but that might not work out and I'll then have missed the opportunity to move to a new city and to have a job lined up.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 1, 2017

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Consulting to industry and Feds to consulting/industry are both pretty standard paths, but you do have to put in a decent amount of time (especially in government) if you want to land in a senior role.

80% travel is no joke. You'll be home on weekends and on the road the rest of the time. It's exhausting and can put a lot of pressure on relationships/your social life. It can pay well and if you stick in long enough to get past the associate level you can usually find a pretty good job after.

Would working for the Feds get you a security clearance? That can be pretty valuable, though it does tie you to DC like you said.

drsynister
Jul 22, 2007
post no bills
I have been at my current job for about eight years, the company is quite small, six full time employees including the president. For reference, we work on the creative side of the advertising market. The pay is decent, though closer to average for the job title, but that's part of the problem: since the company is so small, there is no more room for me to move vertically in the hierarchy, i get a 2% raise every year and while I expected the company to grow by now by getting new clients, the management is quite lazy and we're pretty stagnant, though making good money with our big clients. My boss has asked me to accompany him to London for a business trip this fall, and I find that pretty cool, so he booked a non refundable trip for us.

Now I've been casually looking for a new job for about a year, and was approached by an old colleague about an interesting job this week. It is likely higher pay, more responsibility and a larger more innovative company. I want to apply and interview, but a part of me feels terrible about the upcoming business trip. As well, my boss relies on me likely 200% more than the other employees due to my skill set and hard work ethic, so my leaving, especially in this busy period would cause a huge hole in the workload and training a new employee to take over would likely take a while. The other employees are not client facing so can't really take over most of my workload either.

I think the main issue is because we are such a small casual company, I would think they would take me leaving very personal, as well as worrisome to complete their current projects for 2016. I don't want to miss this opportunity though either, but am afraid to make the leap to a more buttoned up shirt and tie establishment.

If I go through with the application and get called into an interview and get an offer, are there ways to negotiate start dates up to 30 days after the interview? This would at least help start the transition to a replacement. And then, what do I do about the trip? That's about a $2000 expense they lose on. Maybe I just need a sounding board, I'm so stressed about making a decision, I don't like causing problems. I just don't know what to do.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
None of that is your problem. You owe nothing to your employer and if you get a better offer you should take it. A $2k expense for plane tickets is minuscule and you shouldn't worry about it. You can definitely ask for start dates that are a month or more away, but I would be careful as companies are usually hiring because they need to fill a position asap and that could start you off on the wrong foot. Once again the company not having a replacement for you isn't your problem and you shouldn't sacrifice for it. If the company wanted to keep you then they would be paying you enough that you wouldn't be looking for another job.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Do you have stockholm syndrome? Are the owners all buddy buddy with you and constantly ranting about how broke they are and how the business is on shaky ground or something? Why would you be so overly concerned with their operation?

Getting a better job is a good thing, both for you and your previous company. They will find someone else and be fine. Relax and stop trying to focus on some negative aspect of an new opportunity, everything will be fine.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
Hi guys I am currently enrolled in my local state university for Public Policy/Local Government. I'm old, like just turned 30 working on my BA. I spoke to a alumni today for a long time who graduated in 2002 with a Poly sci degree, and he told me after interning with different senators and working political jobs how he couldn't find work so after 3 years he joined the NAVY. Over all he came up with new options of me.

Right now:
I have 42 Credits,78 to go. mostly electives that are complete. For this semester I didn't get a lot of aid so the out of pocket cost would be about $9000 per year. I have a bout $4000 in student loans already.

His suggestion was to switch to the new homeland security major because they use a lot of the same credits. I have been really worried about not finding a good job when I graduate. The other two ideas were to go to the NAVY, Air force, or ROTC. I checked the ROTC website and it says the scholarship cut off was 27. I don't really know what I would do in the NAVY or Air Force, but i'm down because it would cost me less per year and I could do the officer program and make 35,000 a year.

Also what do you do with a degree in Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Security and Cybersecurity?

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 23, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There's not really a nice way to ask this, so: what kind of shithole do you live in where your best potential majors are "homeland security" and "local government"? Are those choices that genuinely excite you or are these just the sorts of practical majors people talk about picking in your circles often?

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's not really a nice way to ask this, so: what kind of shithole do you live in where your best potential majors are "homeland security" and "local government"? Are those choices that genuinely excite you or are these just the sorts of practical majors people talk about picking in your circles often?

I live in a capitol city to I figured that local gov't would benefit me with finding a job, The CEHC Degree is new this year, I don't know what type of jobs you can get with I know as much as you do at this point. For the degree you would pick one concentration:

Emergency Preparedness Concentration
Homeland Security Concentration
Cybersecurity Concentration

I would ideally like to pick the best one for $$$

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 24, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Kim Jong Il posted:

I think if I'm gone I'm gone for good because it's a gigantic loving pain in the rear end.

I'm trying to appeal to HR for what that's worth.

I got another internal offer and was able to use it to force HR's hand. 20% raise, but much more important is the title bump. This was really only possible because my director and VP were fighting for me and poo poo would have legit collapsed if I left.

I have doubled my salary in slightly over 2 years and I'm still dumb founded by it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

bikesonyx posted:

Hi guys I am currently enrolled in my local state university for Public Policy/Local Government. I'm old, like just turned 30 working on my BA. I spoke to a alumni today for a long time who graduated in 2002 with a Poly sci degree, and he told me after interning with different senators and working political jobs how he couldn't find work so after 3 years he joined the NAVY. Over all he came up with new options of me.

Right now:
I have 42 Credits,78 to go. mostly electives that are complete. For this semester I didn't get a lot of aid so the out of pocket cost would be about $9000 per year. I have a bout $4000 in student loans already.

His suggestion was to switch to the new homeland security major because they use a lot of the same credits. I have been really worried about not finding a good job when I graduate. The other two ideas were to go to the NAVY, Air force, or ROTC. I checked the ROTC website and it says the scholarship cut off was 27. I don't really know what I would do in the NAVY or Air Force, but i'm down because it would cost me less per year and I could do the officer program and make 35,000 a year.

Also what do you do with a degree in Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Security and Cybersecurity?

Does the Cybersecurity option have IT requirements?

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

Forceholy posted:

Does the Cybersecurity option have IT requirements?

What do you mean? like requirements to enter into the program?

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 24, 2016

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

I have doubled my salary in slightly over 2 years and I'm still dumb founded by it.

Not to be a poo poo, but as someone who's done this, it probably comes down to you screwing yourself early on because you didn't know better.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Not exactly, it was more graduating during the recession. I'm decently overpaid now, although comically underpaid compared to most of my coworkers.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

devoir posted:

Not to be a poo poo, but as someone who's done this, it probably comes down to you screwing yourself early on because you didn't know better.

I did the same thing and it's because I didn't know my worth early on. We're idiots when we're in our 20s and by the time we're in our 30s we tend to smarten up quite a bit to the "real world."

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm a recessionaire who doubled his salary too:

I don't think I'll ever regret taking my comparatively low paying analyst monkey job for a bad company B/C so many friends and acquaintances have basically not recovered from not being able to get that first job. In a weird way, I always think of them kinda fondly because they were willing to slide down the experience / pay scale further than most firms. Kinda was a fair trade.

Bad Mr Frosty
Apr 25, 2012
I'm 35 years old, I finally got my life together and graduated with my BA in Economics this year. Four months ago I managed to get a job overseeing four people doing bank loan paperwork, making about $40k a year, at a mid-sized regional bank. No one else in my department has a four year degree. I just make sure that the bank's loans keep up with proof of insurance and create payoff statements for title companies. When loans are paid off, I release the title, deed, UCC, etc. It is a very low tech bank, so everything is done manually.

I have four years experience working for banks as a teller and collections and 1.5 years experience in casino management, not much relevant job experience otherwise. I live in California Bay Area(Solano county), and I own my house. I am bored out of my mind at this job, but it is giving me good experience. I don't see getting promoted in my department in the next 4+ years, I asked a recruiter here about other positions that looked interesting and she said they typically hire from outside the bank. I have inconsistent work on my resume, 18 months off between each job, so I need to stay here at least 2 years to show that I can keep a job.

When I went back to college I had imagined a more exiting job in finance, or at least a better paying job like a financial analyst. I am not a school person, took me 15 years just to get my BA, so going back and getting a Master's is out of the question. I don't know anyone who works in finance to network with.

There is an open position in my company of Loan Compliance (coordinator, analyst, forget the exact name of the job), $65-90k a year. Looks more like what I really want to do, and it looks like there would be more upward mobility. The job listing asks for knowledge about all types of loans, which is what I am learning about in my current role. It lists having a 4 year degree as a plus, and says bonus if you have taken "mortgage banking courses." The local community college has classes such as "Real Estate Principles" and "Real Estate Finance." Is that what they are looking for, or is there some specific mortgage banking program I don't know about. I am going to take one of the real estate classes this fall in the evenings.

I thought getting a $60k+ job in finance in the bay area would be easy, but I am either under or over qualified for any job I search for.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Bad Mr Frosty fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 31, 2016

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Anyone in BFC have experience with coding bootcamps or similar programs? I've been doing exercises on FreeCodeCamp and I'm enjoying it. I could go into NYC for General Assembly classes, etc, but Rutgers offers a 6 month certification program and boasts a pretty great job placement. Just wondering if anyone's had any success/nightmares from these?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Earth Table posted:

Anyone in BFC have experience with coding bootcamps or similar programs? I've been doing exercises on FreeCodeCamp and I'm enjoying it. I could go into NYC for General Assembly classes, etc, but Rutgers offers a 6 month certification program and boasts a pretty great job placement. Just wondering if anyone's had any success/nightmares from these?

I work at a tech shop that's well liked / respected. we have a pipeline with a couple of these, they were founded by former employees so it's a known quantity when they recommend people. Usually the people we take are top of the class and doing a lot on their own in personal projects or open source.

Most quality employers only care that you have the right skills not where they came from. although unconscious bias is a bitch and a secret right "skill" can be "has CS degree from Stanford" or "is a white man".

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Earth Table posted:

I may have posted it in this thread before, but Haseeb Qureshi has been there, done that, and made phat stacks: http://haseebq.com/farewell-app-academy-hello-airbnb-part-i/

If I ever get canned from my current role, I'll be looking hard at bootcamps too.

usha
Feb 14, 2012

MrKatharsis posted:

I may have posted it in this thread before, but Haseeb Qureshi has been there, done that, and made phat stacks: http://haseebq.com/farewell-app-academy-hello-airbnb-part-i/

If I ever get canned from my current role, I'll be looking hard at bootcamps too.

Thank you for the great read. As a soon-to-be PoliSci undergraduate, the relevance of this information seems to grow every day. :smith:

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

MrKatharsis posted:

I look forward to perusing this. Thanks!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Anecdotally, I know two people who did well-respected boot camps. They both put a lot of work in and did a bunch of extra stuff on github. They got good jobs (one in NYC and one in Boston) after about 6 months of looking and a good amount of networking.

From what I understand, there are fewer entry level jobs in some of the typical boot camp languages than there were and a lot of employers have a skeptical eye towards boot camp grads. IF you build a good portfolio then they might keep you in the maybe pile.

Definitely check out the entry level job market in your area if you're not open to moving, and realize that you need to build a portfolio on top of the boot camp to be competitive.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

BadSamaritan posted:

Anecdotally, I know two people who did well-respected boot camps. They both put a lot of work in and did a bunch of extra stuff on github. They got good jobs (one in NYC and one in Boston) after about 6 months of looking and a good amount of networking.

From what I understand, there are fewer entry level jobs in some of the typical boot camp languages than there were and a lot of employers have a skeptical eye towards boot camp grads. IF you build a good portfolio then they might keep you in the maybe pile.

Definitely check out the entry level job market in your area if you're not open to moving, and realize that you need to build a portfolio on top of the boot camp to be competitive.

Yeah, I think my biggest advantage here is my easy access to New York. Cheers and thanks for the info.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

I'm 35 years old, I finally got my life together and graduated with my BA in Economics this year. Four months ago I managed to get a job overseeing four people doing bank loan paperwork, making about $40k a year, at a mid-sized regional bank. No one else in my department has a four year degree. I just make sure that the bank's loans keep up with proof of insurance and create payoff statements for title companies. When loans are paid off, I release the title, deed, UCC, etc. It is a very low tech bank, so everything is done manually.

I have four years experience working for banks as a teller and collections and 1.5 years experience in casino management, not much relevant job experience otherwise. I live in California Bay Area(Solano county), and I own my house. I am bored out of my mind at this job, but it is giving me good experience. I don't see getting promoted in my department in the next 4+ years, I asked a recruiter here about other positions that looked interesting and she said they typically hire from outside the bank. I have inconsistent work on my resume, 18 months off between each job, so I need to stay here at least 2 years to show that I can keep a job.

When I went back to college I had imagined a more exiting job in finance, or at least a better paying job like a financial analyst. I am not a school person, took me 15 years just to get my BA, so going back and getting a Master's is out of the question. I don't know anyone who works in finance to network with.

There is an open position in my company of Loan Compliance (coordinator, analyst, forget the exact name of the job), $65-90k a year. Looks more like what I really want to do, and it looks like there would be more upward mobility. The job listing asks for knowledge about all types of loans, which is what I am learning about in my current role. It lists having a 4 year degree as a plus, and says bonus if you have taken "mortgage banking courses." The local community college has classes such as "Real Estate Principles" and "Real Estate Finance." Is that what they are looking for, or is there some specific mortgage banking program I don't know about. I am going to take one of the real estate classes this fall in the evenings.

I thought getting a $60k+ job in finance in the bay area would be easy, but I am either under or over qualified for any job I search for.
Anyone have any suggestions?

They might be talking about that, or more likely they mean something listed here If I were you, I would apply for the Compliance Job, but I would also look at potentially becoming an Underwriter. It's what I currently do, and you've got experience on kind of the back end of it anyway. It isn't necessarily riveting but it does involve some analysis, and sets you up potentially for more complicated credit/analyst jobs.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
oops

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 31, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would talk to your boss before try for any sort of internal promotion. At the vast majority of companies your boss will effectively have a veto over you transferring so applying without telling them and getting their support will not end well. I think a good path would be to first bring up that you're under utilized and underpaid so he knows you're not happy and has a chance to fix it. Amother option is to talk about career development and steer the conversation in that direction because you're interested. Choosing how to approach it will vary dependent on how much you think you're boss will support you.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
I graduated with a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering in May of 2014 and have been working as a field service engineer ever since. It was alright for a while, but over the past 6 months I have become completely burned out. I am only home on some weekends, other than that the travel is constant. My job is making me miserable, and I'm missing out on so many things going on with friends and family. I am also in a new relationship, and it is suffering because I can only see her a few times a month. Also, I'm not developing any new skills. The work is intellectually unrewarding, and the job is a dead end.

About 3 months ago, right as I was going to ask anyway, my boss approached me and told me that if I was getting burned out, they don't want to lose me as an employee would find me a new position at the company, whose offices are in town. I immediately said yes. He talked to his bosses, who are very new to the company, who both told me that unfortunately there are no open positions and they would not create one for me. The said that when one opens up eventually that is a good fit I can transfer, but could not tell me when that would be. Since then, they have made no attempt to bring me in on projects part time or anything like that.

I am now dead-set on finding a new job, but I don't know if I should quit this one first or not. It is extremely difficult to wage a productive job search when I'm working longs days on the road. I have already missed a group examination for a DWP job I applied to due to my travel. At most other jobs I would just take sick days when interviews come up, but in my situation travel is booked weeks in advance.

I guess my question boils down to this: should I quit this job before I have a new one lined up? I have enough savings to pay all of my bills for 13 to 17 months, my personal life is suffering, and I am miserable. About 60% of the articles I've read on line say "Yes do it! You'll find a job you enjoy soon enough!" and the other 40% say "No! Only an idiot would quit without a new job lined up!" Another wrinkle is that I'm not even 100% sure I want to stay in electrical engineering, but I have no way to figure out what else I want to do when I'm working on the road 24/7. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

I graduated with a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering in May of 2014 and have been working as a field service engineer ever since. It was alright for a while, but over the past 6 months I have become completely burned out. I am only home on some weekends, other than that the travel is constant. My job is making me miserable, and I'm missing out on so many things going on with friends and family. I am also in a new relationship, and it is suffering because I can only see her a few times a month. Also, I'm not developing any new skills. The work is intellectually unrewarding, and the job is a dead end.

About 3 months ago, right as I was going to ask anyway, my boss approached me and told me that if I was getting burned out, they don't want to lose me as an employee would find me a new position at the company, whose offices are in town. I immediately said yes. He talked to his bosses, who are very new to the company, who both told me that unfortunately there are no open positions and they would not create one for me. The said that when one opens up eventually that is a good fit I can transfer, but could not tell me when that would be. Since then, they have made no attempt to bring me in on projects part time or anything like that.

I am now dead-set on finding a new job, but I don't know if I should quit this one first or not. It is extremely difficult to wage a productive job search when I'm working longs days on the road. I have already missed a group examination for a DWP job I applied to due to my travel. At most other jobs I would just take sick days when interviews come up, but in my situation travel is booked weeks in advance.

I guess my question boils down to this: should I quit this job before I have a new one lined up? I have enough savings to pay all of my bills for 13 to 17 months, my personal life is suffering, and I am miserable. About 60% of the articles I've read on line say "Yes do it! You'll find a job you enjoy soon enough!" and the other 40% say "No! Only an idiot would quit without a new job lined up!" Another wrinkle is that I'm not even 100% sure I want to stay in electrical engineering, but I have no way to figure out what else I want to do when I'm working on the road 24/7. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
If you're miserable, you've already answered your own question. Have you actually applied to any jobs yet, though? Applying to jobs when you're in a poo poo job makes the poo poo job much more bearable. Because you know it's not forever.

It is always easier to find a new job when you currently have a job. I'd say suck it up and deal with it while you search for a new job. But if you truly are miserable, you gotta take care of yourself first. Start applying to jobs and see if that makes your current job more bearable. If it doesn't, then you have your answer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really don't know what thread to even post this in, and this seems like the closest thing to relevant so here goes.

I was recently laid off and decided I want to pursue something new since there is no money in the field I was working in. I decided to take an apprenticeship for plumbing at a local construction company and was told it will be a regular m-f 40 hour gig with some night classes at a local community college.

I went to orientation and safety training today and was handed the location of my job site and it is 1.5 hours away, each way. To top it off I called my super and was told that work days at this site are 10 hours. I'm going to basically have to leave at 4:30 am and I'll get home around 7 pm every day. I have no idea how I'm even supposed to pull this off once classes start. I've just been sitting around trying not to explode from anxiety this afternoon. Am I crazy in thinking this seems super unreasonable or should I man up and take my lumps if I ever want to get into a passable career? I seriously have no idea what to do right now. I'm sort of freaking out.

Right now I'm thinking the best thing I can do is go in tomorrow and talk to them and see if I can work out something less ridiculous because I don't think I'm willing to devote basically my entire waking life to this.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

NESguerilla, how'd that work out?

Tenacious J fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 30, 2016

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
so I've been working as a program manager/editor for almost a year in medical publishing now. I was a writer/managing editor before this, so I am still fairly new to the field. Not exactly riveting work, but it requires skills that I am pretty good at so it works for me.

How does one become a PM in other fields? I see most of these jobs require some budgeting as part of the role, which I don't do a whole lot of. I see that these positions also tend to specialized depending on field (ie my position requires writing/editing background; engineering PMs might need to code in some places, etc)

is there any value in PM certification courses or advanced degrees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
PMP certification and MBAs can set you apart, especially in more traditional PM fields like yours. In tech people get into the PM career track from all over- some are programmers who eventually became leaders, others worked through QA into a management position, some were lucky enough to fall into an associate role out of school. It really depends on the industry.