Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Today on VOY, the crew loses a probe in a gas giant while the trashpolluitians want to find it. They build a brand spanking new toyetic space shuttle and barely make it out of the planet's immense gravity and gently caress up the trashliens' shuttle navigation with photonic weapons.

Meanwhile VOY gets the gently caress out of there while they have a chuckle about the other shuttle being caught in the planet's gravity (the crew slowly being crushed to death).

Also there's like some bplot about B'elanna being a holocutter or someshit who cares let's pad out this dumb episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome_Tool
Dec 10, 2008
sooo im that guy who has watched all the series many many many times over 25yrs

I'm supplementing my TNG Bluray craze with Voyager episodes, generally speaking there are a ton of good Voyager episodes and it keeps fairly close to TNG in terms of technobabble and starshippy things, trek history etc, they have a very broad range of actors and overall I really miss this series. Did I like them going over the top with the borg, not really but they were fun episodes mostly, and the ending was a bit lacklustre but its hard to end a episodic show generally.

As for voyager's future. Cant say im the biggest fan with improving the fx shots for CGI in SD, or HD, it would likely cost too much to remaster them. I think TNG Bluray was largely a labour of love for the show.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Awesome_Tool posted:

generally speaking there are a ton of good Voyager episodes
Actually no.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Volcott posted:

They poo poo talk lasers in that OUTRAGEOUS episode, but then the Borg show up and it turns out lasers are actually cool and good.

pretty sure they call that the Borg "cutting beam", not all beams are lasers :smug:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Germstore posted:

Why have two bridges? Put the comfy chairs in the battle bridge and always use it. Turn the normal bridge into a conference room or something.

The battle bridge doesn't have a bathroom.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The battle bridge doesn't have a bathroom.

That is because if they ever actually use the battle bridge shits already gone down. :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Trast posted:

That is because if they ever actually use the battle bridge shits already gone down. :v:

I was always sad they didn't use the battle bridge a lot, it looked a hell of a lot cooler than the regular bridge

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Generations version of the bridge was the best bridge, or would have been if they hadn't of installed all those loving dimmer switches and then blown the whole thing the gently caress up

Vakal
May 11, 2008
On thing I will give Star Trek ship designs though, at least they had the sense to tuck the bride into the main bulk of the ship and not sticking out like a giant, poorly defended bullseye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_hGOFukMQ&t=20s

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vakal posted:

On thing I will give Star Trek ship designs though, at least they had the sense to tuck the bride into the main bulk of the ship and not sticking out like a giant, poorly defended bullseye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_hGOFukMQ&t=20s

What are you talking about?

The bridge is always top center on the saucer section

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

The bridge on Federation ships are literally a bull's eye.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

It's quite literally a bullseye.

e:f;b

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
but at least it isn't at the top of a giant fuckoff conning tower

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Future ship designs will house the bridge in a sort of skeet trap that flings the bridge high into the air and out of the range of any shielding at the first sign of potential alarm.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Germstore posted:

but at least it isn't at the top of a giant fuckoff conning tower

Is the top of a giant fuckoff dinner plate really that better?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

at least slightly

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cthulu Carl posted:

The Wrath of Khan should have blown a big hole in that concept, but nope, the federation is bad at ship design

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

At least they have the battle bridge as deep in the ship as possible. But do you really have time for an elevator ride when poo poo goes down?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Germstore posted:

At least they have the battle bridge as deep in the ship as possible. But do you really have time for an elevator ride when poo poo goes down?

Well, they only use it when the saucer section has been separated, and nope, it's still right on top at that point.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Seems to me if your shields have gone down you're hosed no matter what, it only ever seems to take 1-2 photon torpedoes at that point. This is based purely on watching the show and not on some tech manual poo poo.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
But once the shields are down, the ship is just looking for a reason to explode anyway. Nail one space pothole and you've got a containment breach.

Edit: drat it, Hillary Clinton's Thong.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

criscodisco posted:

But once the shields are down, the ship is just looking for a reason to explode anyway. Nail one space pothole and you've got a containment breach.

Don't forget like all science fiction, the entire ship can get completely hosed up if you spill water on a control panel

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't forget like all science fiction, the entire ship can get completely hosed up if you spill water on a control panel

Meanwhile, Voyager teaches us that shuttles have no problems working like a high speed submarine and flying to the center of a water planet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

criscodisco posted:

Meanwhile, Voyager teaches us that shuttles have no problems working like a high speed submarine and flying to the center of a water planet.

Because the water is on the outside, duh!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Future ship designs will house the bridge in a sort of skeet trap that flings the bridge high into the air and out of the range of any shielding at the first sign of potential alarm.

It's been a long time since I giggled out loud at a post.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, they only use it when the saucer section has been separated, and nope, it's still right on top at that point.

Remember how in TNG they had to separate the ship so often that they couldn't be bothered to say the whole name of the process and just called it "saucer sep" and "autosep"?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

In Into Darkness the entire Enterprise was underwater. To hide it- from a primitive civilization- instead of you know maybe putting the ship in a really high orbit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Germstore posted:

In Into Darkness the entire Enterprise was underwater. To hide it- from a primitive civilization- instead of you know maybe putting the ship in a really high orbit.

or putting it into a good moive

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkFUWoRQG8

AND TUVOK WILL FIND HIS WAY HOME

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Iron Crowned posted:

or putting it into a good movie

:drat:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Tighclops posted:

The Generations version of the bridge was the best bridge, or would have been if they hadn't of installed all those loving dimmer switches and then blown the whole thing the gently caress up

Generations used the regular cheap-rear end TV bridge set, but on film it looked like a cheap-rear end TV set when it was fully lit. So they went the "dramatic lighting" route instead.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Generations really did have some beautiful lighting, and it's a shame that couldn't have used it on TNG. I mean, how much can a few lamps possibly cost? Go down to Target, they're like 8 bucks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They actually built up the bridge set with new stations and whatnot, it was a nicer looking version of the mods they did for Yesterday's Enterprise but yeah they turned all the lights off anyway to hide the lovely carpet

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
By the time Generations was made, were the console screens still covered with black construction paper to cut glare, or had they figured that out by then?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fojar38 posted:

just got past the episode where aliens use everyones imaginations to manifest and while bashir and sisko get a hot lady and a baseball superstar respectively, o brien gets a hideous gremlin
That's Keiko, you misogynist. :mad:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Whoops, read that wrong.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Cro-Molly.

I love that O'brien and Keiko are just like "ugh, what a pain. Let's just put her back", like she was a feral cat that just couldn't deal with being a housecat.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Like you tried everything but she's still making GBS threads in your bathroom sink so you convince yourself she'd be better off living in the woods again.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
And there was that time your sister came over and left a tampon in the trash and she ate it and walked around the house growling for 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'm watching Q who and I still want to know what Q meant when he said Guinan wasn't what she appeared to be. I didn't read any of the nerd books, did any of them address that?

Also, when they ask Guinan what she can tell them about that region of space, she's all "only to head back now". What the gently caress, you're on my ship, give me some loving details, not a gypsy riddle.

No wonder he just ignored her and decided to just start bopping around looking for trouble.