Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wisp
May 17, 2010

This is such sad news. Cul de Sac is the kindest and sweetest comic I've ever read apart from Moomin, and probably the funniest too. Richard Thompson was the best at writing kids and parents with genuine warmth. Really going to miss him.

Let's post some of our favourite Cul de Sacs. Lots of choices, but this is one of my favourites that I could find on Google:

I love how totally defeated Timmy Fretwork looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
aw drat, that's a goddamn shame.

from back when he announced he was quitting

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think this one is probably my favourite.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Wisp posted:

This is such sad news. Cul de Sac is the kindest and sweetest comic I've ever read apart from Moomin, and probably the funniest too. Richard Thompson was the best at writing kids and parents with genuine warmth. Really going to miss him.

Let's post some of our favourite Cul de Sacs. Lots of choices, but this is one of my favourites that I could find on Google:

I love how totally defeated Timmy Fretwork looks.

You can't tie down a banjo man.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/758357919666667521

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Awful news. Goodbye Banjo Cartoon Man. :smith:

Thanks to everyone posting their favourite Cul de Sacs, though. Keep going!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mister Beeg posted:

Aw man. And it was also just reported that cartoonist Jack Davis has died, too.

2016 really sucks.

Goddammit, he was my favorite artist in Mad Magazine.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Forktoss posted:

Awful news. Goodbye Banjo Cartoon Man. :smith:

Thanks to everyone posting their favourite Cul de Sacs, though. Keep going!

I was going to find that comic with the story of the monster that eats mall shoppers, but on the way ran into this, which is great.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That's one of the two places my mind always goes when I think about CDS.

The other is the clown jack-in-the-box, which may be the greatest delayed punch line in the history of newspaper comics. I can't find those, but I'm sure someone else around here has them.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'd also post the sequence where Petey has to play in a holiday concert and ends up with an out-of-body experience narrating everything he does, if I could find it.

Richard's Poor Almanac is pretty funny too.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I went to Heroescon about 6 years ago when Thompson was there. I got a collection from him. Everyone in my family were huge Cul-De-Sac fans, so I asked if it was possible for him to draw an Alice for a mom since she had helped me get to the convention. It only took him a few minutes, but he drew the absolute best art. The entire time he was witty and charming, despite having been diagnosed less than a year earlier. He loved hearing about how much my family enjoyed the comic and was such a pleasure to be around.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Obit for Richard Thompson at the Washington Post.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's one of the two places my mind always goes when I think about CDS.

The other is the clown jack-in-the-box, which may be the greatest delayed punch line in the history of newspaper comics. I can't find those, but I'm sure someone else around here has them.

My other is Petey's "PEVEY" jersey. I don't know why, but it was always my favorite. Most of my favorite things involved Petey, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh. :(

I love the Pulpy Joe strip, and this one:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't think I've ever read a strip that got children, or the relationship between parents and children, better than Cul de Sac. You could tell he understood the inner workings of kids' minds, and I don't think there's ever been a comic strip family with more natural chemistry than the Otterloops

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The long delayed punchline to the clown in the ceiling was my favourite.

I just started to re-read my copy of the Complete CDS last week; I've even got a couple of the smaller collections in French as a way of keeping up my reading ability (and learning bonkers new vocab - the translations are really good).

This news makes me so sad. But what a legacy he has left behind.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I can't believe how few strips I have saved. Keep posting them so I can grab them all now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Calaveron posted:

I don't think I've ever read a strip that got children, or the relationship between parents and children, better than Cul de Sac. You could tell he understood the inner workings of kids' minds, and I don't think there's ever been a comic strip family with more natural chemistry than the Otterloops

In addition to this, it also never had jokes that came from a place of hate or or anger. It was never sarcastic or mean. Even when Alice was yelling about Kevin's stupid bucket head, it was because she wasn't getting attention, which is exactly how a kid acts. It was a silly comic that was there just to have fun.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Deep down I had hope of someday there being a triumphant return of Richard Thompson and Cul de Sac. I know it was foolish but it's true.

Here's a link to the Washington Post piece about him.

Here's the "Make the Pie Higher" comic that got him early attention.

And here's a few of my favorite CDS strips I've got handy.

It would have been nice to get more, but at least we got what we did.

And now the regularly scheduled comics.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Jeez, Tommy put the pill bottle down for 2 seconds.

Rex Morgan MD

"Don't go correctinating my similes, ya got me, kid?"

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

OK so what I think happened is this girl has been sending love letters to her brother, posing as LuAnn, which is creepy as hell.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SpacePig posted:

In addition to this, it also never had jokes that came from a place of hate or or anger. It was never sarcastic or mean. Even when Alice was yelling about Kevin's stupid bucket head, it was because she wasn't getting attention, which is exactly how a kid acts. It was a silly comic that was there just to have fun.

Yeah, it's a lot like HLTS in that respect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh man, we're gonna get a Nancy "tribute" aren't we?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's impossible to pick my favourite Cul de Sac but here's one I really loved:

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Endless Mike posted:

Oh man, we're gonna get a Nancy "tribute" aren't we?

By tribute, do you mean Nancy reading her horoscope or something and we just so happen to see a single panel of a poorly drawn version of the characters on the back of her newspaper, right next to a panel of Kermit, a panel of Charlie Brown, and a panel of Ziggy?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Culdesac was a big reason why I posted here. Richard Thompson's art was and still is gorgeous, evocative and so refreshing. You could feel the characters in how they were drawn and the love of life that every character had. He knew just how to chose his words his lines and the timing of his jokes. I wanted to keep posting it because something that good needed to be shared with the world.

I will truly miss Richard. He was right up there with the great illustrators of the modern age for me and he always will be.

I am glad that cds is still being posted here and I still read it every day. It still makes me happy, but I will miss Richard Thompson. The world is a little dimmer for his passing, but while he was with us, it shone so brightly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In my heart I know that Luann Titles Guy is responsible for this.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

JaggerMcDagger posted:

By tribute, do you mean Nancy reading her horoscope or something and we just so happen to see a single panel of a poorly drawn version of the characters on the back of her newspaper, right next to a panel of Kermit, a panel of Charlie Brown, and a panel of Ziggy?

Gilchrist's taste in comics seems to be much like his taste in music -- if it ain't at least 40 years old, he don't care.

Anyway, here are my regular comics, which aren't as good as CdS.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Cul de Sac was never in my local paper. It's one of the reasons I visit this thread every day, even if I hardly ever post. Newspaper comics are generally trash, but Cul de Sac is great. I have a copy of one of the collections on my desk at work, stuffed between random business books and a Calvin and Hobbes collection. Think I'll let it sit on the top of the stack for a while.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
I Wish I Were Gary Larson, or, Foolish Mortals

Curse of the Undead! or, Scary Gary

Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac
Yeah, well, gently caress the world today.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Kevyitä multia, herra Thompson! You were the greatest and I'm glad that Guy Gilchrist will never be allowed to touch CDS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzUboz98WYk

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 27, 2016

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, I've been meaning to do it, but haven't had the free cash. Had some credit at Amazon and bought the CDS collection today.

Odonata posted:

Curse of the Undead! or, Scary Gary

:fry: homage or theft?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Richard Thompson had so many wonderful strips that it's hard to think of them all, though I've seen several favorites here already. Anyway, BIG SHIRLEY!

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 28, 2016

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Richard's Poor Almanac is great. Cul de Sac is a treasure.
Goddamn it.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Gross Exaggerations (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (November 1934)

Mopsy

They’ll Do It Everytime (October 1939)

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big) (August 1970)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Does it have anything to do with this old-school SA thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXWQIiFxjbc

There's a goldmine thread but the images are mostly dead.

Yes that is it exactly. Vreenak. I think I just learned that Romulan's name.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Slammy posted:

The Gay Thirties (November 1934)

Ah PJ Pieholes. Thompson's favorite made up restaurant name.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Here's the "Pearls Before Swine" comic that was supposed to run today:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Look at the proportions on that Fritzi. Gilchrist started with the boobs, then realized he was running out of space for butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
How many comic strip authors have I ever in my whole life actually broke down into tears about?

One.

• Locked thread