Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wait, wasn't Gaulish a Celtic language, meaning that it was about as closely related to Latin as German is to Hindi/Urdu?

I mean, who knows, we have so little Gaulish that it's a big question mark, but Latin and Gaulish are both in the Italo-Celtic group. Names in -rix are Latin rex, that sort of thing. If that sounds the same to you as the relationship between German and Hindi, then . . .ok? I don't want to fight about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I will admit that linguistics isn't my bag so I am very open to the idea that I am full of poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Celts got around so much I'd expect their language group to have connections all over the place.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wait, wasn't Gaulish a Celtic language, meaning that it was about as closely related to Latin as German is to Hindi/Urdu?

homullus posted:

I mean, who knows, we have so little Gaulish that it's a big question mark, but Latin and Gaulish are both in the Italo-Celtic group. Names in -rix are Latin rex, that sort of thing. If that sounds the same to you as the relationship between German and Hindi, then . . .ok? I don't want to fight about it.

The relationship between the Italian and Celtic sides of Italo-Celtic is really unclear, since yeah we have almost nothing of the continental Celtic languages and basically all of it is written with the Latin or Greek alphabets, which, of course, means that all of it has potential influences from Latin or Greek. Caesar talks about having to write orders in Greek in case of interception because too many Gauls understand Latin, but if Caesar and his legions were marching around my back yard I'd learn Latin too so that's only scant evidence that Gaulish and Latin were at least somewhat mutually intelligible. Really, speaking of "Gaulish" as a single language isn't right anyway - a Cisalpine Gaul probably spoke something much closer to Latin than a Gaul in Normandy, whose language was closer to that of the Belgae or the folks across the Channel, or a Gaul living near Aquitania, which would be more Gascon/Basque-y.

So, uh, continental Celtic is a complicated topic.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 26, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's a good point, you have to remember how diverse languages used to be. Gaul alone probably had hundreds of variations. What Gaulish we have almost certainly comes from Gauls who had a lot of connection to the Romans and is not necessarily representative.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Jazerus posted:

Caesar talks about having to write orders in Greek in case of interception because too many Gauls understand Latin...

Funny. Given that there had been Greek colonies on the south coast of Gaul for centuries already (Massilia was apparently founded circa 600 BC) and they traded with the Gauls further north, you'd think there would be a decent number of them who could read that language as well.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

homullus posted:

"Reich" and "Raj".

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ras Het posted:

"Reich" and "Raj".

That's definitely how Indo-European languages work.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm just saying that your example was awfully convenient.

e: and in any case, once languages aren't really mutually intelligible anymore, it makes gently caress all difference to the speaker how closely related they are.

Ras Het fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 26, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ras Het posted:

I'm just saying that your example was awfully convenient.

I guess! To me, rex and -rix are more closely related than reich and raj. YMMV.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Look, you don't need to prove that Gaulish and Latin were related languages, we know it. I'm just saying that you made this comparison of one word to show how similar they were, and conveniently that same word in the two other languages you used for comparison are also very similar, even after five thousand years of geographic separation. It's both 1) a curiosity and 2) an example of how these things are kinda tricky and that you cannot use one example like that to make a point.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

homullus posted:

Was that one village on the northern coast of Gaul full of kings?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Huh, I just got reich-raj-rex-reign poo poo there are a lot of em that all have to do with ruling.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The first person who figured out that languages in India were related to ones in Europe must have been mindblown.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Fromage posted:

The first person who figured out that languages in India were related to ones in Europe must have been mindblown.

william jones wasn't the first but he's the first that is commonly known, and he was:

quote:

The Sanscrit language, whatever be its antiquity, is of a wonderful structure; more perfect than the Greek, more copious than the Latin, and more exquisitely refined than either, yet bearing to both of them a stronger affinity, both in the roots of verbs and the forms of grammar, than could possibly have been produced by accident; so strong indeed, that no philologer could examine them all three, without believing them to have sprung from some common source, which, perhaps, no longer exists; there is a similar reason, though not quite so forcible, for supposing that both the Gothic and the Celtic, though blended with a very different idiom, had the same origin with the Sanscrit; and the old Persian might be added to the same family

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Jones_(philologist)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

You missed the funny part:

quote:

In 1786 Jones postulated a proto-language uniting Sanskrit, Iranian, Greek, Latin, Germanic and Celtic, but in many ways his work was less accurate than his predecessors', as he erroneously included Egyptian, Japanese and Chinese in the Indo-European languages, while omitting Hindi.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jazerus posted:

The relationship between the Italian and Celtic sides of Italo-Celtic is really unclear, since yeah we have almost nothing of the continental Celtic languages and basically all of it is written with the Latin or Greek alphabets, which, of course, means that all of it has potential influences from Latin or Greek. Caesar talks about having to write orders in Greek in case of interception because too many Gauls understand Latin, but if Caesar and his legions were marching around my back yard I'd learn Latin too so that's only scant evidence that Gaulish and Latin were at least somewhat mutually intelligible. Really, speaking of "Gaulish" as a single language isn't right anyway - a Cisalpine Gaul probably spoke something much closer to Latin than a Gaul in Normandy, whose language was closer to that of the Belgae or the folks across the Channel, or a Gaul living near Aquitania, which would be more Gascon/Basque-y.

So, uh, continental Celtic is a complicated topic.

How... vexing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Prepare to have your minds exploded: Rainier is the francophone version of Ragnar, passed into English through the Normans.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mount Ragnar sounds much cooler :black101:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

hailthefish posted:

Mount Ragnar sounds much cooler :black101:

Speaking of PNW Mountain Chat. One amusing fact is that the US Navy has commissioned several ships as the USS Hood, obviously naming them after the mountain in Oregon . However the mountain itself was named after Admiral Hood of the Royal Navy. Who some might recognize as being the British Admiral during the battle of the Chesapeake thus making the two USS Hoods indirectly named after one of the first enemy admirals of the United States Navy.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Grand Fromage posted:

Wait, people aren't being ironic? They really are related linguistically?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Indo-European language family. Most of the languages of Europe (Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian, and Basque are notable exceptions), the Caucasus region, Persian, and a number of northern Indian languages are all related. It's believed all these people are descended from the Proto-Indo-European people who likely lived in roughly Ukraine, north/northeast of the Black Sea.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ynglaur posted:

check out a sanskrit table of noun declensions and compare to latin or greek, it rules

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Oh my friend, there are many linguistic delights awaiting you.

Seriously though, no it is not bullshit but linguistics is loving complicated so good luck if you ever dive into it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Yeah the Aryan invasion of Northwest India is a real thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Prepare to have your minds exploded: Rainier is the francophone version of Ragnar, passed into English through the Normans.

And they were called 'Norman' for a reason. Nordmann. A man from the North, i.e. Scandinavia, thus the sort of people who had names like Ragnar. They assimilated into France pretty quick compared to e.g. the Danelaw in England, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

How could you not know this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

feedmegin posted:

And they were called 'Norman' for a reason. Nordmann. A man from the North, i.e. Scandinavia, thus the sort of people who had names like Ragnar. They assimilated into France pretty quick compared to e.g. the Danelaw in England, though.

Yeah they became French quick. Super important in the history of the English language which is now dominated by Latin words because of the Normans.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I thought everybody knew that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
There's a lot of weird stuff we say in English because of the Normans. Like how animals have Anglo-Saxon/English names, but once they become food they have Norman/French influenced ones. For example, the animal is a cow but as food we call it beef.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

Yeah they became French quick. Super important in the history of the English language which is now dominated by Latin words because of the Normans.

There's a lot of Latin in English for a lot of reasons. Romans were spreading Latin around Britain actively from the first century BC, and Latin was later the language of the church and the government. 1066 forced Anglo-Norman (with its own set of Celtic- and Latin-derived words) onto people outside the literate elite and also added a bunch of literate elite who were Normans (the super quick way alluded to). Continued contact with Europe added still more words.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

homullus posted:

There's a lot of Latin in English for a lot of reasons. Romans were spreading Latin around Britain actively from the first century BC

This bit in particular doesn't mean much though, especially since the proto-English were still chilling out in Denmark at the time. I'm not aware of there being much Roman-era Latin surviving in Welsh and Gaelic, which are the descendants of the languages spoken in Britain at the time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

feedmegin posted:

This bit in particular doesn't mean much though, especially since the proto-English were still chilling out in Denmark at the time. I'm not aware of there being much Roman-era Latin surviving in Welsh and Gaelic, which are the descendants of the languages spoken in Britain at the time.

-chester/-cester/-caster is Latin castrum.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

homullus posted:

That's wildly irrelevant.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

homullus posted:

Place names don't count.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

https://cy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croes is the only one I know about

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah Britons like to focus on their Roman history but it was a backwards frontier province occupied "only" for a few hundred years where almost all Roman influence was rooted out from the 5th century onward.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ultimately the whole west was a sideshow in a lot of respects. The east had the real population centres and cultural powerhouses, based in cities that were old and powerful when Rome was still a hill fort.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

For a very accessible experience, The History of English podcast is very good. Episode 40 discusses the first batch of words that entered english from latin prior to the Norman invasion and it's really a very small list and a lot are associated with the church. The later Norman infusion is much larger and broader. It's interesting to see how words differ in pronunciation and meaning when they entered from the same root, but first from latin and later from french.

http://historyofenglishpodcast.com/2014/03/20/episode-40-learning-latin-and-latin-learning/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yeah Britons like to focus on their Roman history but it was a backwards frontier province occupied "only" for a few hundred years where almost all Roman influence was rooted out from the 5th century onward.
This goes too far the other way. Britannia was integral enough to the Empire to justify reconquering it multiple times from either usurpers or just rebellious northern tribesmen. Even after 410 there's enough archaeological evidence to support a sub-Roman continuity of settlement that only drastically Celticizes in St. Gildas' time (for whatever reasons), and which pattern is only actually eliminated in the most eastern and earliest areas of Germanic settlement (such as the Saxon Shore). Even St. Gildas, whose mindset in his writings is *very* Celtic, still had impeccable Latin, especially compared to his near-contemporary Gregory of Tours.